PDA

View Full Version : An Apple Powerbook 12 Inch Or A Hp Tablet Pc

tub_vwj
30th April 2005, 10:48 AM
Hi guys,

I am currently a full time uni student and was wondering what your tips would be regarding laptops/tablet pc's. I need something lightweight, excellent performance, and value for money. At the moment, I am considering a powerbook @ a special price of approx. $2500, whereas the tablet pc is approx $3700. I have been a PC user in the past and would also like to change to something new and different, but the question remains "are the benefits of an apple better than a tablet pc?

Thanks.

OziMac
30th April 2005, 11:00 AM
Okay - for starters, welcome to the forums, but you've posted this topic twice - no need to get over excited!

Second, in my own opinion, I think tablets are a waste of time, particularly for uni students. They are just as big as laptops (or bulkier), less durable, and don't really distinguish themselves in any particular way to make them any better-suited to your run of the mill note-taking functions - and certainly not for the price differential.

I don't really know what you mean by 'are the benefits of an apple better than a tablet pc' - but I would think that the stability, ease and use and functionality of a Mac laptop supercedes the PC equivalent for student purposes, yes. And by this, I would include note-taking in class (Word, especially the notepad and audio recording functions), ease of use for music/photos/multimedia (iTunes, iPhoto, Quicktime), good searching capabilities to find notes/files you've lost (Spotlight) and presentations (Powerpoint or Keynote), and if necessary, lab results (Excel). If you're super keen or study design, Photoshop is also a boon.

I had a Compaq for many years at uni, but was stymied by the fact that it would crash, was unreliable and that I would lose data all the time. This all ended when I switched to an iBook.

Having said that, you really don't need a Powerbook for the purposes mentioned above - the iBook is an excellent value machine, which only differs from the Powerbook in base RAM (which can be upgraded), ability to have a Superdrive (which can be external anyway), screen sizes and a slight speed difference (which isn't all that huge now anyway). You need to consider whether the $1000 extra for a Powerbook is worth it for these incremental benefits.

Good luck with whatever you end up getting :)

haydn678
30th April 2005, 11:11 AM
Dude!
Hopefully you also posted on a HP-lovers website, because I'm sure that the majority of users on AppleTalk are going to vote for the powerbook.

I'm interested in your reasons for wanting a tablet. Apart from potential note taking capabilities as OziMac mentioned; I am yet to see any practical uses a tablet has over a regular laptop.

Cheers
Haydn B)

hawker
30th April 2005, 11:17 AM
12" powerbook is light, cool and super computer fast. Grab it... Don't even think about the HP...

gene
30th April 2005, 12:04 PM
i agree with OziMac

I've played with a friends toshiba tablet pc and i cant find a good enough reason to buy one over an ibook or a powerbook. not to mention the price as well!

happy hunting

Kildare
30th April 2005, 12:25 PM
Any reason you're not considering an iBook?

downsys
30th April 2005, 12:27 PM
wow...expensive ey...better save urself $1200 to buy other stuff! u'll end up a lot happier too (it hurts when an assignment is due, and ur pc is filled with viruses and hangs...happened to me). as for the benefit, i don't see myself needing to use a pc (except for PaceXL here and there). so tell us more about what you're doing, that'll help us to know what kind of software is available for u to use.

Jon
30th April 2005, 02:28 PM
Right - I actually own a HP TC 1100 Tablet PC and a PowerBook so let me try to answer this for you:

It depends what you use it for .. for uni and general notetaking NOTHING beats the Tablet pc (except maybe a newton =) )

for actual assignment work, programming (unless you need to do .NET - though there is mono or VPC) and general notebook'ing around the Powerbook is a better solution - if you're somewhat technically literate (i.e. not quite like "Ellen Feiss (http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Ellen+Feiss&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8)") you can keep your wintel box reasonably secure as well. But nothing will yet work quite as seemless as OSX.

$3700 sounds a tad steep unless you're trying to get the "twist top/convertible" HP tablet PC 4700 (which personally I find a flawed design).

I use the HP predominantly for travel (it's really small without the keyboard) & drawing (some samples (http://www.core.org.au/index.php?cat=9)). The powerbook does pretty much everything else.

mvjs
30th April 2005, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by haydn678@Apr 30 2005, 11:11 AM
Dude!
Hopefully you also posted on a HP-lovers website, because I'm sure that the majority of users on AppleTalk are going to vote for the powerbook.

I'm interested in your reasons for wanting a tablet. Apart from potential note taking capabilities as OziMac mentioned; I am yet to see any practical uses a tablet has over a regular laptop.

Cheers
Haydn B)
Totally agree. This isn't the best place to ask. (There all Mac users, and us PC users get a bit of a beating when it comes to comparing PC and Macs :) )

I have a hp M1199a Media Centre PC, I love it, although Tech support were useless, and it was pretty hard to set up. You can't compare a $2500 laptop to a $3700 dollar computer. If your using it for work, studying, tablet PC's problly arn't the best unit. Powerbooks are very good, light, cool, smart. Very fast too.

OziMac
30th April 2005, 02:41 PM
Jon - given that you draw, I can understand your point of view (cool comics by the way). :)

Assuming that this person (who doesn't seem to have bothered acknowledging anything we've had to say) does not draw, I am curious as to how you would consider the tablet 'unbeatable' for note-taking?

If you're going to be writing notes by hand, I fail to see how a lecture pad and pencil (which could, if you so wish, later be scanned) aren't more useful, and far better value. If, on the other hand, you're typing, how does a tablet (which I'm assuming either doesn't have a keyboard or has one that's rather ungainly) do a better job than a laptop?

Jon
30th April 2005, 03:00 PM
Jon - given that you draw, I can understand your point of view (cool comics by the way). :)

Hey thanks =)

Assuming that this person (who doesn't seem to have bothered acknowledging anything we've had to say) does not draw, I am curious as to how you would consider the tablet 'unbeatable' for note-taking?

Well I am assuming he's not doing an English major or something but something that requires the occasional arrow, highlight or someting like that. Keep in mind that inbuilt in the Tablet PC windows version there is the ability too print any document to "journal form" and then annotate , highlight etc to your hearts content (I guess you can get that in OSX as well these days using PDF & the tiger previwe version). The other thing I have found that is nice is that you can place the slate based Tablets flat on the surface so it's less "obvious you're sitting there hiding behind a notebook" .. may not be a problem for many people .. but it made it a lot less conspicuous in public places. The HP slate model is approx the size of an A4 notebook.

If you're going to be writing notes by hand, I fail to see how a lecture pad and pencil (which could, if you so wish, later be scanned) aren't more useful, and far better value. If, on the other hand, you're typing, how does a tablet (which I'm assuming either doesn't have a keyboard or has one that's rather ungainly) do a better job than a laptop?

Do you know anyone that scan's their note pages ? .. I don't. somehow that always seemed to cumbersome (unless I guess you had an document feeder scanner). The keyboard that comes with my tpc is good annd does fold neatly onto the slate when travelling - however the weight of my slate is in the body of the notebook not the keyboard so it's a tad badly weighted when stating on it's keyboard. The PowerBook "lit up" kyb is larger and better but the tpc's is definitely usable .. and when I don't need it I can simply disattach it (I usually haven't got the keyboard connected). Another thing commonly forgotten is that the Tablet PCs XP has voice dictation recognition built in .. to my surprise it works well (I think they licensed the smaller dragon engine) - as long as you're in a quiet environment and went though the training.

Obviously a piece of paper is a stufload cheaper - but it's a real pain trying to play Unreal Tournament on it @ 60 fps =) (makes your wrist hurt .. all that drawing and all..).

mvjs
30th April 2005, 03:03 PM
Do you know anyone that scan's their note pages ?

This is why, we came upon a thing called a "Keyboard" :)