PDA

View Full Version : Any Mac "OFFICE 2008" & MS WORD Gurus around?

Luvlimum
24th September 2008, 09:59 AM
I do most of my work in Microsoft WORD and have just upgraded to 2007, however, I caved and also purchased Office for Mac 2008. I have been trying really hard to format my papers using Mac instead of Microsoft. I am doing very well, but have some things that bamboozle me. Are there any others here who are WORD gurus that have made the switch? How long did it take you to settle? Have you learned any amazing tricks/tips?

Cheers
T

shihyuan
24th September 2008, 10:32 AM
What sort of page formatting do you use or require to use in MS WORD?
Personally I am not a MS WORD guru but I am quite familiar with MS WORD since I use it quite a bit. I found switching from PC version to Mac version takes just abit of time to get used to the different layouts of the program and also different shortcuts but most of them are the same in a way anyway.
Do you mean by "amazing tricks/tips"?

Luvlimum
24th September 2008, 10:51 AM
Hi Shihyan, thanks for your response. I am really trying to give myself a good try at using mac and have spent a few hours this morning trying to do my formatting in Mac. I have worked out that the shortcut keys (which I use a lot) in word are the same, except I have to replace [control] with [option] and I tend the get the result I want.

But what is bothering me most at the moment is when I apply my customised style called "Reference", I type in ref in the drop down box, I see the reference and use my mouse to scroll down to it, only to have the drop down box start scrolling all over the place, and ultimately I find myself having to scroll through the entire box manually to re-locate my darn "reference" style. I cannot find a way to stop this automatic scrolling mechanism on the Style box. I'm not sure if any of that made any sense at all.

BUT - good news, WORD 2007 took away the ability to crop an image using it's format toolbar, whereas MAC has this built in ability to crop from whichever side of the image you like - LOVE THAT!!

As for tips and tricks, ie; if you double click on a word, it will highlight the entire word, rather than having to highlight it manually - that is a trick that has changed my life! which basically means, that maybe I don't really have a life! LOL!

T

euphospug
24th September 2008, 10:54 AM
maybe try typing ref - then when it highlights hit the ENTER key.

stewiesno1
24th September 2008, 11:00 AM
I'm back on MS Office 2004 on my Mac but have used Office 2007 quite a few times. If you go here...
Help and How-To for Microsoft for Mac Office Products | Mactopia (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/help.mspx)
you can pick up a few tricks but like most apps , it mostly comes down to experience.
I just create lots of templates and save them etc .
The two are, as you would expect very similar and most of the keyboard shortcuts are exactly the same.
One thing to remember is that if you are creating a document in Office Mac and then opening it up in Office PC , you will lose a few formatting styles or things will not open up quite how you thought and vice versa - despite what the blurb about cross platform capabilities states.
Another is that your fonts may cause problems between the two as well.
Yet another is what format your templates are setup for concerning the printer of your choice, printer drivers, page layout options etc.

Stewie

Luvlimum
24th September 2008, 11:08 AM
I did that and it doesn't work, but guess what? I am starting to think I have cottoned on to the Mac mentality, what I did do was, once I saw my reference style, I held down the [control] key which stopped the auto-scroll thing and clicked on my style and - WHALLA, it worked! YAY! Of course I am open to any other little tricks of the trade anyone has to offer.
T

*** EDITED TO ADD ****

I don't know how it worked before, but it doesnt work now! Arrrghgh!! it is still scrolling uncontrollably to whereever it wants to go. back to the drawing board!! :eek:

Luvlimum
24th September 2008, 11:13 AM
thanks Stewie I have had a look at that site, but couldn't find an answer to what I specifically needed.

There is one other issue and that is challenging me. I need to convert my docs to PDFs once they have been formatted. The lovely PDF function that Mac comes with is great, BUT ... another but ... It tells me that my margins our outside the limits and after it converts it does not include my footers? The WORD doc is happy with the margins, why not the PDF program? I NEED these footers and the PDF maker should adopt the formatting of the document, but it doesn't.

T

ath
24th September 2008, 09:47 PM
Not that this helps your situation much, but these (and others, such as editing a live excel sheet in word) are the reasons I installed Parallels and Office 2007 so that for serious assignments, I use the windows version and not the mac. Why? It's x10 better, and easier to use. If you're extra keen, you can download the search commands add-in from the office labs and then live search anything you want to do in word/excel/ppt.

An option that might help you regarding the PDF issue: Save it, go to a windows machine, PDF it. Ironic that I'm saying this in a mac forum

stewiesno1
24th September 2008, 10:00 PM
Do you have the word doc set up in A4 format and not US letter ?
Check that your footers and headers are ticked to be shown as well.

Stewie

tempestas
24th September 2008, 10:02 PM
Make sure you have set the page size set correctly under Print & Fax in System Preferences.

Mac and Windows versions of MS Office programs are quite similar, and over time you will get the hang for working with either platform.

Luvlimum
24th September 2008, 10:08 PM
LOL - thanks Ath! I know what you mean. I do some very heavy style formatting, all images MUST be placed into tables with their captions so they don't get lost in the formatting. This requires extra grouping if needed, and then formatting the object to place it into the table etc. All tables are very complex and must be situated correctly on the page, and finally, I deal with extremely large, complex scientific formulas and I cannot risk anything going wrong and having the integrity of the document compromised.

I have found a LOT of stuff great on the Mac for doing this, but that psycho scrolling issue in the styles bar is driving me to distraction, and you are right, I decided to PDF them in XP (Parallel) with my Adobe program which works brilliantly. I guess i just thought that I should really give it a good shot and be a little more patient.

Stewie, they are all pre-set as A4, but thanks for the thought, as I did check that - :thumbup:

Cheers
T

Edited to add:

Yes tempestas - thanks I will check that, and I think you are right, my object is to work comfortably and quickly in both platforms. Mac really does have some handy stuff that MS doesn't have. I think I will be crossing between a little before I find my happy place - :D

Txx