PDA

View Full Version : Google android

dolbinau
24th September 2008, 07:17 AM
There is comprehensive coverage here:

T-Mobile and Google Introduce First Android Phone (G1) - Mac Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/09/23/t-mobile-and-google-introduce-first-android-phone/)

For me.

* The launch phone is ugly. No 3.5mm Jack, little storage and shit multimedia capabilities make it not very useful for me. BUT

* Copy+Paste, MMS, Multi-tasking! (Instant messaging on the go would be so, so useful compared to iPhone, demonstrated in that smooth UI video), ability to open links in new tabs.

Why can neither Apple nor Google get it right?

entropy
24th September 2008, 07:24 AM
That is one butt ugly phone, and its features are not a threat to iphone - yet. Teaming with amazon for music downloads is a good idea, except it only works in the USA ATM.

As for the limited features that it has over the iphone, I think I only ever used MMS once in my life - who cares? And an emailed photo is much higher quality anyway. But Apple really needs to upgrade its iphone software before Android is actually available to include full bluetooth (if it can solve the battery consumption - can it do bits of it?), cut and paste and multitasking. Surely this should not be a problem.

And what is with the proprietary headphone port?

dolbinau
24th September 2008, 07:28 AM
As people have said countless times :P, It's not us who need MMS It's our friends. (I would happily use e-mail if possible).

But yeah, Bluetooth, Multitasking copy+paste etc.. can all be software updates so hopefully Apple feels pressured to do something about it :P.

GarageFriend
24th September 2008, 07:35 AM
Shame, the Android could have been a very very VERY good phone, but they made it ugly. BUT, I like the camera, bluetooth is good, MMS is a meh really, and it looks to be quite cheap. So all in all it's actually looking like quite a good phone!

entropy
24th September 2008, 07:37 AM
Shame, the Android could have been a very very VERY good phone, but they made it ugly. BUT, I like the camera, bluetooth is good, MMS is a meh really, and it looks to be quite cheap. So all in all it's actually looking like quite a good phone!

the G1 has the same bluetooth limitations as the iphone....

gehenna
24th September 2008, 07:42 AM

Yeah but "The Android" is not "a" phone, it's a mobile phone platform, so there will be other handsets soon enough with different options on UI and text input. This is their first offering. Unlike Apple they're not developing the hardware themselves, Google are just providing the software platform for cell phone manufacturers to use. This should push innovation over the coming year or two.

GarageFriend
24th September 2008, 07:42 AM
the G1 has the same bluetooth limitations as the iphone....

Oh? I skimmed over the article, and bookmarked it for later reference. I bookmark a lot. Now thats annoying cause I use bluetooth sooooo much! Sigh, I would have considered this as a phone.

Does anyone know how it will connect to a computer?? Or was that in the article as well...

scruffie
24th September 2008, 07:50 AM
It comes with push gmail though :)

fishinthecity
24th September 2008, 08:18 AM
Hmm.. I'd buy one just to try ou the interface... Wonder if they will be available outright and unlocked..

W9cae
24th September 2008, 08:39 AM
Oh? I skimmed over the article, and bookmarked it for later reference. I bookmark a lot. Now thats annoying cause I use bluetooth sooooo much! Sigh, I would have considered this as a phone.

Does anyone know how it will connect to a computer?? Or was that in the article as well...

It's a pure cloud phone has no system to connect to a computer like synch.

Also they are locked to T mobile or what other provider that carries them.

The Google phone looks interesting but is not as free as they make out :(

Joey1983
24th September 2008, 08:43 AM
The UI and the phone itself already look outdated, and not only when compared to the iPhone. Compared to HTC's other phones that have been released lately (Diamond, Touch Pro, HD) this thing looks like it was designed 10 years ago and they forgot to release it...

EDIT: the white ones not as bad in the looks department, maybe 5/10.HTC G1 pictures, official photos (http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_g1-pictures-2533.php)

mechcon
24th September 2008, 09:02 AM
Nevertheless, it's good to have competition. I for one welcome the G1, in fact would love to pissfart around with one too!

SFSJ
24th September 2008, 09:05 AM
Hmm.. I'd buy one just to try ou the interface... Wonder if they will be available outright and unlocked..

Yep. $399(US) outright. Then you can unlock it yourself. And it seems T-Mo isn' too worried about people doing so either. There's an interview with the CFO where he addresses that and tethering. Both can be addressed with 3rd party software via the OS.

nando
24th September 2008, 09:14 AM
no iPhone killer indeed...also the UI doesnt look to have the animation flow of the iPhone..
like...when you move a pane.. in the iPhone..it goes back and forward a bit....hence spring board..
but in the g1 doesnt have this...
also....there is no sync on a desktop app...! thats a bummer...also music...you will chew up lots of MBs transferring files...unless u have wifi at home...
yea...no iPhone killer...yet

mechcon
24th September 2008, 09:18 AM
Would be interesting to see if it works out of the box on a Mac as well as it would on a PC. How would it sync? THAT is what I'm interested to know about. And have you folks seen the street view mode in that? bad-ass!! You physically move the phone around to look left to right/up and down.

anarchron
24th September 2008, 09:41 AM
Hehe, I would love to try and install Android on my iPhone since the bootloader has already been neutered.

ghettro
24th September 2008, 09:48 AM
some of the features look quite good, particularly the google apps, like streetview, etc. Looks great. Although the interface looks so so compared to iphone. I think it lacks the consistency that Apple is great at. Also the lack of multitouch and a proper headphone jack sucks

stevejay
24th September 2008, 09:50 AM
Teaming with amazon for music downloads is a good idea, except it only works in the USA ATM.

...this is not the rest of the world you are looking for...

BiRDBRAiN
24th September 2008, 10:08 AM
The Android OS is designed to be easily hackable.

If you don't like the UI, write some hacks and wallah!

I would get one of these phones just purely for the hackability.

nando
24th September 2008, 10:23 AM
Would be interesting to see if it works out of the box on a Mac as well as it would on a PC. How would it sync? THAT is what I'm interested to know about. And have you folks seen the street view mode in that? bad-ass!! You physically move the phone around to look left to right/up and down.

apparently Syncing from their press presentation can not be done from a desktop app.
so is done over the air.
which like i said before..transfers of music, videos will be very slow (assuming u have wifi)
so.....
:thumbdn:

even cheap music players/ phone do have some mechanism to sync!...

However I suspect that mayyyyyybe...you will transfer files / music /video over usb??? but it wont really do syncing in the term that we know it

Peter Mount
24th September 2008, 10:26 AM
I was about to say it doesn't look as ugly as people say it is. OK maybe a bit ugly but only because Apple puts so much effort in that area everything else just doesn't look the same.

But when I saw the keyboard I just thought "No". I haven't owned a phone that slides like that but I've felt display models that do and they always feels a bit wonky and I wind up thinking it will break at some stage.

Plus when you have a keyboard like that the size of the keys are set in stone. As I have big hands that's a real issue with me and that's partly what attracts me to the iPhone as I just think it's keyboard has so much more potential for useability.

The removeable battery on the Google android would be more a real benefit than it's keyboard. I will be very interested to see if Apple is influenced by that at all in future releases of the iPhone.

dolbinau
24th September 2008, 12:12 PM
google android is the os, not the model of the phone.

VALANDI
25th September 2008, 02:03 PM
All my iphone needs is farken bluetooth, SMS character count, and multi task features and im set.

its scary that the g1 can do these yet a more well known fortmat can not!

Madone
25th September 2008, 02:15 PM
All my iphone needs is farken bluetooth, SMS character count, and multi task features and im set.

its scary that the g1 can do these yet a more well known fortmat can not!

why do you need character count? Is your maths that bad? Or worried that you'll send 2 SMS messages instead of one!

Peter Mount
25th September 2008, 02:16 PM
google android is the os, not the model of the phone.

Sorry, I should've been more specific. Obviously what I didn't like was the model of the phone.

ziggotron
25th September 2008, 02:20 PM
The Android platform looks promising. I love some things they've implemented like how you can pull down the status bar for notifications and system settings or whatever system wide it's genius. On the iPhone you'd have to quit an app flick to the springboard page then get into the settings app, then into the WiFi settings just to turn it off. Android solves that problem quite elegantly. Also small features that Apple fails to implement like opening a page in Safari in a new tab by holding onto a link, only seems logical.

For those people who think the Android is ugly (it is kinda IMO), I'm certain the other mobile hardware manufacturers like LG, Samsung in the OHA are going to pick up Android and modify it to their own likings - since it's completely open source. The beauty of Android too, is that it's not stuck to one hardware set, the mobile manufacturers can decide however they want to build their Android phones.

I own an iPhone myself, but it really does get me buggered when Apple limits so much of what the iPhone can truly do.

Soliah
25th September 2008, 11:39 PM
The Android platform looks promising. I love some things they've implemented like how you can pull down the status bar for notifications and system settings or whatever system wide it's genius. On the iPhone you'd have to quit an app flick to the springboard page then get into the settings app, then into the WiFi settings just to turn it off. Android solves that problem quite elegantly. Also small features that Apple fails to implement like opening a page in Safari in a new tab by holding onto a link, only seems logical.

For those people who think the Android is ugly (it is kinda IMO), I'm certain the other mobile hardware manufacturers like LG, Samsung in the OHA are going to pick up Android and modify it to their own likings - since it's completely open source. The beauty of Android too, is that it's not stuck to one hardware set, the mobile manufacturers can decide however they want to build their Android phones.

I own an iPhone myself, but it really does get me buggered when Apple limits so much of what the iPhone can truly do.

And the awesome thing, there isn't Apple approving or disapproving apps, nor is there Apple's app killswitch.

Looking at the architecture of Android, they've taken a more traditional approach to resource scheduling, opting for processes for any application. Quite different to Apple's approach with the iPhone.

Looking at the API, I can't find anything in regards to bluetooth :( Guess they haven't provided any API's for bluetooth.

dotComrade
25th September 2008, 11:47 PM
Looking at the API, I can't find anything in regards to bluetooth :( Guess they haven't provided any API's for bluetooth.

Nah they took out the Bluetooth and IM from the API because they aren't ready yet. Once they are ready they will be released back into the API fo future Android phones will have it.

JustaUniStudent
30th September 2008, 12:05 AM
why do you need character count? Is your maths that bad? Or worried that you'll send 2 SMS messages instead of one!

I want the character count too. I only want to send 1 message at a time if i can fit in what i want to say.
If i can't i get progressively more l33t, and punctuation gets the ass.
If still i have more to say i remove all spaces and use CapitolsForTheStartOfEachWord.

boot camp for iphone plz. I have a feeling this android os is going to come in pretty handy once it's been ironed a few times.