PDA

View Full Version : New Ibook?

asqy
29th April 2005, 09:37 PM
So...will it be soon?

Shoud I hold off?

OziMac
29th April 2005, 09:41 PM
Whilst there appears to be evidence pointing towards impending updates on iMacs and eMacs, iBooks don't look to be updated in the very near future. Sometime soon, but probably not soon enough to hold off a purchase - but its entirely up to you. :)

Kildare
29th April 2005, 11:56 PM
I guess you could always hold off from something better & never get anything.
Quite happy with my 12" 1.2GHz iBook although I think if anything the updated iBooks should sport a Core Image compatible GPU.

Worth getting @ least 512MB too regardless of updates.

timboy
30th April 2005, 09:38 AM
Hey, i was looking at getting the Ibook yesterday, but when i got to Computers Now in Chaddy, they were out of stock, which was a real bummer.
Anyway, i feel that the ibooks won't get updated soon, because the Staff member from Apple Au who was preloading Tiger on the David Jones Apple, said that the Ibooks were the current model, and the updates would't be likely.

Furthermore, as i was going to purchase the ibook, there was a week wait, and Computers Now is expecting in a shipment of 23 Ibooks.

I wouldn't think they will be updating them anytime sooon. Give me your thoughts :)

Cheers

Tim

hawker
30th April 2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by timboy@Apr 30 2005, 09:38 AM
Anyway, i feel that the ibooks won't get updated soon, because the Staff member from Apple Au who was preloading Tiger on the David Jones Apple, said that the Ibooks were the current model, and the updates would't be likely.
People from Apple speak? They have thoughts? no way :P

frenchtoast
1st May 2005, 05:48 PM
There will not be any iBook updates soon.

Why you may ask?

Because the differential between Powerbooks and iBooks wouldnt be great enough and it would hurt sales of Powerbooks.

tommyx
1st May 2005, 06:57 PM
unless they update both range together. :P *fingers crossed*

osxuser
1st May 2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by frenchtoast@May 1 2005, 05:48 PM
There will not be any iBook updates soon.

Why you may ask?

Because the differential between Powerbooks and iBooks wouldnt be great enough and it would hurt sales of Powerbooks.
But radeon9200 doesn't support core image and according to thinksecret.com there must be an update soon. who knows ;)

kit
1st May 2005, 07:05 PM
PowerBooks were updated in January, and probably won't be updated until around August.

iBooks are overdue for an update.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

osxuser
1st May 2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by kit@May 1 2005, 07:05 PM
iBooks are overdue for an update.
yeah, yeah man! that's what I am saying and where are the new iMacs?? :)

aaron_meredith
1st May 2005, 07:33 PM
Going by past years the iBooks are Normally and i mean Normally updated in April and October and this has been the pastern over the past 2 years. I bought my first Mac which was a iBook last october one of the 1.33Ghz Models and are soooo happy with my purchase. But no one can ever tell what apple are planing to do.

It all depends on if you need it right now or if you can wait. I know with a mac it is hard to wait.

Personally i cant see iBooks been updated in the next month

zeddie2001
1st May 2005, 08:00 PM
I bit the bullet on Friday and ordered mine from the Apple store. I just couldn't wait. From what I've heard, the MacUpdates buying guide does not have a very good reputation, nor is it deemed helpful! I say: Go for it! Now I just have to wait 2 weeks for it to come. Longest two weeks of my life!

gene
1st May 2005, 08:37 PM
yeah where are the new iMacs :angry:

spyhunter
1st May 2005, 09:05 PM
It's interesting to read that a few of you have a waiting period before getting your machines. I literally wandered into the AppleCentre and said "I'd like an iBook" and they had HEAPS of stock. I guess there are cycles of having stock and having to order in though.

Anyway, for my $0.02, the iBook is great value - but definitely get the extra RAM, and maybe an external HDD. Holding off on a purchase is just too much heartache. Jump in the deep end now. If something better gets released, you can always put what you have on EBay and fork out a little extra...

queraxus
1st May 2005, 09:11 PM
A member of the sales team at AppleCentre Taylor Square didn't think too much of imac, ibook update rumours when asked the other day.

MightyAtom
1st May 2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by queraxus@May 1 2005, 09:41 PM
A member of the sales team at AppleCentre Taylor Square didn't think too much of imac, ibook update rumours when asked the other day.
Not surprising really, they're trying to sell the current models they have in stock. Are people really going to buy a new Mac if they say "Oh, there'll probably be a better model released next week and it'll be quite a bit cheaper to boot".

jobe
1st May 2005, 10:00 PM
my theory is they'll update the ibooks when the buzz about tiger has died down. It's a good marketing idea too. When the buzz about one product dies down, create buzz about another product... keeps them in the news.

queraxus
1st May 2005, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by MightyAtom@May 1 2005, 09:46 PM
Not surprising really, they're trying to sell the current models they have in stock. Are people really going to buy a new Mac if they say "Oh, there'll probably be a better model released next week and it'll be quite a bit cheaper to boot".
Possibly true.

1. They've got a decent rep for not pushing products,
2. I wasn't in the market for an imac or ibook, and told me offhand.

frenchtoast
1st May 2005, 10:12 PM
As i said earlier, If Apple were to update the iBook, it would bring numerous specs too close to Powerbooks. And considering the massive price difference, too many people would think "Gees Powerbooks are expensive, considering i can get almost the same thing in an iBook for over $1000 less."

As for Core Image. Only 2 ranges of macs graphics cards support it, Powerbooks and Powermacs. Not iMacs nor eMacs nor iBooks nor Mac minis. These are the Pro lines and you expect to get more of the nice things when buying. Your not going to get the extra features in a budget range that you get in the highest end

Just because Mac Rumours Buying Guide or Think Secret saids there should be an update because "thats when they usually have an update" doesn't mean its going to happen. Look at the wait there was for an upgrade to the current Powerbook range. And also look at how long update rumours (and what they were rumoured to include - dual core G4, G5, etc) were going around.

I can see updates for iMacs and eMacs. But not for iBooks.

gene
1st May 2005, 10:23 PM
queraxus,

i was being pushed pretty hard to grab the iMac 1.8 G5 cause the 1.6 wasn't in stock. I wont mention names but the salesperson even told me that i'd get a better discount for it because i was an RMIT student and said that no one bought the 1.6 and the reason they did not stock it was because it was so unpopular. *what?!* it was just a load of crap as I knew loads of people who opted for the 1.6. In the end he only gave me the standard 10% edu discount. that plonker.

anyways i hope the updates are true cause i just put in an order for the 1.6 bout 3 weeks back. hopefully i'll get the updated spec!

regards,

gene

iSlayer
2nd May 2005, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by frenchtoast@May 1 2005, 11:12 PM
As for Core Image. Only 2 ranges of macs graphics cards support it, Powerbooks and Powermacs. Not iMacs nor eMacs nor iBooks nor Mac minis. These are the Pro lines and you expect to get more of the nice things when buying. Your not going to get the extra features in a budget range that you get in the highest end

imacs support core image

hawker
2nd May 2005, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by islayer@May 2 2005, 07:24 AM
imacs support core image
Dam, iSlayer got there before me

So iBook is left out in the cold. What about the eMac?

osxuser
2nd May 2005, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by hawker@May 2 2005, 07:59 AM
So iBook is left out in the cold. What about the eMac?
with the next update...

Kreats
2nd May 2005, 05:58 PM
Maybe a ram bump across the board wouldn't be out of the question? A video chipset bump wouldn't be too hard to do also. They could maintain the product differentiation by giving the powerbook more ram and beefier onboard video.

These are the two things in dire need of updating anyway, so fingers crossed.

osxuser
2nd May 2005, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Kreats@May 2 2005, 05:58 PM
Maybe a ram bump across the board wouldn't be out of the question? A video chipset bump wouldn't be too hard to do also. They could maintain the product differentiation by giving the powerbook more ram and beefier onboard video.

These are the two things in dire need of updating anyway, so fingers crossed.
oh yeah, the other thing is that if they update video on an ibook by putting a proper video card then the difference between powerbook and ibook wouldn't be that big (according to appleinsider) and no one will buy powerbook

gene
2nd May 2005, 06:28 PM

May 01 - 9:00 pm EST Based on information from industry contacts, it's expected that Apple this week will begin shipping to dealers several new consumer hardware offerings. Specifically, sources are expecting new iMac G5 and eMac G4 systems. However, revised iBooks are not expected to be part of this next wave of product announcements. Still, unconfirmed reports indicate that the current line of iBooks could see some form of price reduction in the next few weeks.

sure hope so

Kreats
2nd May 2005, 07:05 PM
That was what I was getting at - they wouldn't bump one without bumping the other.

They are really hurting themselves with the ram situation however - 256mb is appalling.

andrewcod
2nd May 2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by queraxus@May 1 2005, 09:11 PM
Of course Apple staff will deny there are upcoming updates-
they are trying to make a sale! :P

Nong23
2nd May 2005, 09:30 PM
Hey guys,

I've been lurking for aaaaaaages, offtopic I'm in the market finally for a 12" superdrive powerbook :) However I reckon there may be an update for both lines.

My guess:

The ibooks may get an update with an upped CPU/GPU , the 12" perhaps to 1.33 and the 14" perhaps to 1.42 or 1.5. In that may be 512mb ram standard, or a superdrive option on the 12" (This would change my decision ! :( )

The Powerbokos however might just obtain a speedbump - ie the 12" may go to 1.67 and the 1.67 may hit 1.8?

Far fetched I agree, but I think if there is to be an update of the ibook they have to separate the powerbook somehow, I reckon a plain CPU upgrade might be it

Cheers guys,

Nong23

aaron_meredith
2nd May 2005, 09:44 PM
if you bump up the iBooks GPU to a 64Meb something that supports Core Image you would be getting very close to the PowerBooks, something that Apple does not want, as they would reather sell PowerBooks then iBooks. I can see a CPU upgrade coming in the next revision, as well as a superdrive in the Lower end 12 " iBook as a BTO option.

Speed Increase would be 12" - 1.33Ghz, 14" - 1.42 Ghz or 1.5Ghz but most likely the earlier. and quite possibly a BTO 80 Gig HDD for the top end 14".

Quasar
2nd May 2005, 10:17 PM
*grumble*

This isn't what I want to hear.

I've been waiting to see iBooks get a video upgrade since October or so. I want my mac :(

mwot
2nd May 2005, 10:42 PM
i think you've waited far, far too long. I've personally held out just under a month for the iMac revisions, and am prepared to wait another few weeks; if still nothing by then, I'll go ahead and buy the current model - it's still a damn fine machine.

Even the iBooks as they are are damn fine machines.

As is with all technology, 'there's always something better around the corner'; but if you don't take the plunge at some point, the pro-longed waiting game becomes very painful.

frenchtoast
2nd May 2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by islayer@May 2 2005, 07:54 AM
imacs support core image
woops, just was on a rant and got left in there.

But as said before

NO NEW IBOOKS ANYTIME SOON!

jobe
2nd May 2005, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Quasar@May 2 2005, 10:17 PM
*grumble*

This isn't what I want to hear.

I've been waiting to see iBooks get a video upgrade since October or so. I want my mac :(
ignore the nay sayers. It's going to happen... soon. I can feel it. And when it does, prepare for the "i told you sooo" :P

asqy
5th May 2005, 05:35 PM
The standard 256mb is no where near enough is it?

All this imac would be doing is running word and sitting in my room.

Ammon
5th May 2005, 06:04 PM
You really need 512 for even basic tasks, I have found.

Rayd
5th May 2005, 06:20 PM
it takes around 200mb of ram just to boot the machine :P so 256mb isnt near enough no :P

asqy
5th May 2005, 07:16 PM
Hmm...because thats all this one will be doing...

word processing...

I thought 512 would be the baseline...apple ram is dear...where can I get cheap ibook ram?

Kildare
5th May 2005, 09:39 PM
The sticky is your friend...
http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=6601

iBook RAM is just a standard DDR SO-DIMM. Same as PC laptop memory.

asqy
5th May 2005, 10:10 PM
What if I bought ram from the apple store independent of the ibook and then ask them to put it in...

apple stores ram the same price as online apple?

http://www.epowermac.com.au/product.asp?nu...ID=120&P_ID=246 (http://www.epowermac.com.au/product.asp?numPageStartPosition=1&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&strSearchCriteria=&PT_ID=120&P_ID=246)

is 155 for a 512mb one ok?

also through kingston in the uk it worked to 57 pounds including postage...so around 140 AUD

asqy
5th May 2005, 10:30 PM
http://macramdirect.com/ibook.html

108 AUD (including postage)

for a 512mb one!

denger
5th May 2005, 10:53 PM
Hello. I'm new here. I am a pc user. Yes, I'll admit it - I'm using one right now... However, on doing research for the laptop I will be getting july/august, I just can't wait to get an ibook. Man, are these things cool!
Since, I have to wait till then, hopefully the new one will be out. I've had to adjust myself to this mac 'update' guess game, that you guys seem use to. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount and quality of games on the apple mac. More than enough good ones, i reckon.
To clarify, the ibook does come with a graphics card, right? If so, is it any cop to play decent games? Also, can it be replaced like ram with regular graphics cards?? I have had a look at replacing ram. Although Im fairly competent at tinkering under the hood of a pc, the ibook looks so intricate and the process complicated. Is it reasonably approachable? anyone who has done it here?
well, I think I'll stick around here and can't wait to switch.
ciao. :)

Phillip
5th May 2005, 11:15 PM
Let me just clear up the confusion here about CoreImage.

CoreImage is a new API in Tiger. Developers can take advantage of it by using the Image Units offered by Apple in their app so that you they can do image manipulation without the extra code. At the moment, All Macs that Tiger supports, supports CoreImage..

It's not the next Quartz or the next Quartz Extreme. It's just another system API.

CoreImage takes advantage of a selected list of newer graphics cards that allow it to run the tasks in the graphics card instead of using the CPU. If you computer does not have the graphics cards CoreImage will still run on the CPU. Having a better graphics will just take the load of the CPU. That's why in Dashoboard, Apple has chosen not to use the ripple effect on certain Macs because it will decrease performance considerably.

asqy
12th May 2005, 08:12 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=124635&page=3

the people over at mac rumours seem to think there could be a small ibook revision soon.

Arkhum_Eramak
12th May 2005, 08:34 PM
I run on 386Mb RAM on an 800MHz G4 iBook and that is enough for Flash work and multitasking....