PDA

View Full Version : Networking Question And Optus Adsl

shtan72
29th April 2005, 02:22 PM
I have a question about networking the 12 inch powerbk to my dell inspiron and USB printer while letting both share optus ADSL wirelessly. I'm not adept technically but would really like to try myself without resorting to a paid technician to come do it.
Could someone pls tell me what hardware I'll need?
Also, optus adsl says it doesn't support mac! does anyone here know how to do it because i know there are heaps of mac users who use optus adsl.
Thanks.

Adz
29th April 2005, 02:49 PM
It really urks me when ISP's claim that 'broadband' won't work on a Mac, I wish said ISP's would send these drop kick phone monkeys on a simple TCP/IP course so that they can understand that anything with a network interface and a TCP/IP stack can connect to the net.

Now, back to your question, all you need is a firewall router that supports DHCP and USB printing. This (http://www.scorptec.com.au/index.php?prdid=00011880) will do what you need.

Edit...Sorry, kinda neglected to take into account that you wanted the 'trendy' wireless option, in that case, an AirPort Extreme Base Station will do the trick, it has built in USB for printing and DHCP support. And before you ask, yes, your Dell can connect to it.

shtan72
29th April 2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks adz for the quick reply.
I was also wondering: if I don't have a Optus CD to setup the connection (like I had with my Dell) on the Mac, how would I set the Mac up to the internet optus server? Are there any parameters I'll have to find out before I can start. Sorry if it might be a silly question but I'm new to Mac OS. Also, I'm cheesed off that Optus ADSL still remains uninterested in Macs. The only reason I'm still with them is because I originally started with them while still using PCs solely.

hawker
29th April 2005, 05:59 PM
Yes Optus are kinda stupid in that respect.

Wireless is the way to go with a powerbook :) I use wireless with my 12" at home and at work ;)

Pej
29th April 2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by shtan72@Apr 29 2005, 05:55 PM
I was also wondering: if I don't have a Optus CD to setup the connection (like I had with my Dell) on the Mac, how would I set the Mac up to the internet optus server? Are there any parameters I'll have to find out before I can start.
i take it your modem and account is already active...

From memory - i had to plug the optus modem into my ibook to set up the modem (it was a new connection so disregard this bit). The ibook regonised the connection straight away through the ethernet port, and then through the browser i set up the modem via it's default ip address to optus. (No cd required, and also after being told by the optus tech guy it wouldnt work on a mac)

Once that was done i connected the modem into the airport express and used the airport setup assistant from my ibook - eg seting up preferences, password etc. - all in the manual that was provided. Probably took 2-3 mins i think.

From there it has been smooth sailing (apart from having to reset the modem about twice over the past year after it droping out for reasons unknown). Using iTunes wirelessly to the stereo has been great and amazes friends!
Hope this helps a bit - others feel free to add as i did it over a year ago and it's a bit hazy.

Am still yet to get my pc to share the connection tho - it recognises the network but i cant log on - password keeps getting knocked back - so if anyone else can help me with that????

Adz
29th April 2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by shtan72@Apr 29 2005, 06:55 PM
Thanks adz for the quick reply.
I was also wondering: if I don't have a Optus CD to setup the connection (like I had with my Dell) on the Mac, how would I set the Mac up to the internet optus server? Are there any parameters I'll have to find out before I can start. Sorry if it might be a silly question but I'm new to Mac OS. Also, I'm cheesed off that Optus ADSL still remains uninterested in Macs. The only reason I'm still with them is because I originally started with them while still using PCs solely.
Let me put it this way, those set up CD's are a load of crap, Bigpond having the worst. The wonderful thing about Optus, and many other ISP's for that matter, is that you don't need a username/password combination to connect, instead they identify you by the MAC address of your modem. Additionally, Optus doesn't use an upstream proxy to provide your net access, so that means even less for you to configure.

The AirPort Extreme is a nifty little device that is quite easy to configure. All you really need to do is connect the DSL modem to the AirPorts WAN port, then connect your Mac to to the LAN port and run the AirPort configuration utility. Once you have finished configuring the AirPort extreme, you can unplug your laptop and go wireless. Ironically, I have never used an Apple to configure an AirPort Extreme, though I've done it from a PC many times :blink: However, I have seen it done and it didn't look difficult, besides the AirPort Extreme ships with a fairly comprhensive manual. As for your Dell laptop, you can use the inbuilt wireless features of XP (assuming thats what your running) to browse for and connect to the AirPort once it is active. The only bad thing I can say about the AirPort Extreme is that it doesn't appear to have an inbuilt firewall, not such a problem for your Mac, but a big disadvantage to your Dell machine thats is no doubt running a flavour of Windows.

At the end of the day, Optus doesn't need to provide anything to support a Mac, with a little tinkering I could have my Amiga A1200 online with Optus in a matter of minutes. Currently I have a variety of boxes, Win/Mac/*nix, all sharing my Optus cable connection, and the funny thing is, the CD that came with the whole package has never seen the light of day. People just need to realise that so long as your machine supports TCP/IP you will always be able to connect to the net, despite what the tech support monkey at your local ISP says.

Adz
29th April 2005, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Pej@Apr 29 2005, 07:25 PM
Am still yet to get my pc to share the connection tho - it recognises the network but i cant log on - password keeps getting knocked back - so if anyone else can help me with that????
What kind of security features have you enabled on your AirPort Extreme???

carazy
2nd May 2005, 01:17 PM
Hello,
I apologies that Optus doesn't support Mac's. We do for dialup but they can't pull their head out of their arse with regards to DSL.
BTW we don't authenticate via mac address at all. We supply a modem and the modem uses PPPOE to connect to our gate way.
Thus the un and pw is stored in the modem firmware.

You can normally setup a mac with optus dsl by simply setting a static ip address to 10.1.1.3 and then open safari and go to the address. 10.1.1.1 in your browser.
Then enter your username and password and enable NAT under the advanced settings.

Set the mac ip address back to automatic and you SHOULD be online.

Adz
2nd May 2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by carazy@May 2 2005, 02:17 PM
Hello,
I apologies that Optus doesn't support Mac's. We do for dialup but they can't pull their head out of their arse with regards to DSL.
BTW we don't authenticate via mac address at all. We supply a modem and the modem uses PPPOE to connect to our gate way.
Thus the un and pw is stored in the modem firmware.

You can normally setup a mac with optus dsl by simply setting a static ip address to 10.1.1.3 and then open safari and go to the address. 10.1.1.1 in your browser.
Then enter your username and password and enable NAT under the advanced settings.

Set the mac ip address back to automatic and you SHOULD be online.
Judging by your comments, it sounds as if you work for Optus???

Either way, what you say doesn't make much sense, if the un/pw is stored on the firmware of the modem, what the hell does that have to do with the machine thats connected to it? When a machine is plugged into the ethernet port of the DSL modem, it will recieve an IP address from Optus (seeing as the modem is already authenticated) and once you have an IP address, its all good, the mac will simply forward TCP requests to the Optus gateway, exactly the same way an x86 based machine running Windows would. Next are you going to tell us that Linux isn't supported?

carazy
2nd May 2005, 03:05 PM
IF the un/pw is stored in the modem :rolleyes:
Yes the mac does work exactly the same as a normal computer and it's the same on linux.
All you need to do is set a static ip address on the same subnet as modem firmware page.
This gives you access to the same subnet so you can login to the modem firmware.
once there you simply put in the Un and pw and then enable. NAT. Nat ensures that the modem assigns ip address for you in the 10.1.1.3- 10.1.1.32 range.
This way is more secure then simply bridging the connection.

Optus cable may simply work on Mac addresses but DSL (which is what the guy is talking about) is different.

This is why optus should support macs.. they are so easy and so much more reliable then the shitty machines I have to support at work.

Adz
2nd May 2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by carazy@May 2 2005, 04:05 PM
IF the un/pw is stored in the modem :rolleyes:
So what is that supposed to mean, perhaps I should rephrase, the only time a un/pw will affect the machine, is if the machine itself must provide the un/pw, eg. Bigpond Broadband, in this case, as you pointed out, the un/pw is located in the modems preconfigured firmware, therefore all one needs to do is establish a TCP connection with the modem and your online.

I honestly think your going off on the wrong tangent, simply put, the Mac will work if you simply plug the DSL modem into the Mac's ethernet port.

carazy
4th May 2005, 10:21 AM
It SHOULD work but commonly doesn't. The same thing happens on windows machines.
Sometime you need to set a static ip on the computer just so you can login and enter the username and pw.
Also if you need to change any ip address you also need to disable the firewall untill it's configured.