PDA

View Full Version : Mail Crashing With Tiger

Flinders1231
29th April 2005, 01:46 PM
I have installed Tiger this morning but Mail crashes whenever I try to open a Mail message. Anyone got some suggestions how I might solve this problem.

yinyang
29th April 2005, 01:50 PM
from what i've seen on some of the reviews, you may need to rebuild your Mail database

Phillip
29th April 2005, 03:57 PM
Do you have the HTTPMail plugin installed? If yes, well, you will have to remove it because its a known compatibility issue. If not, move you Mail folder in the Library folder (that contains all the Mailboxes and your email) to a temporary location. Open Tiger and get it running, then quit it and move back your Mail Folder into the Library.

kenexx
29th April 2005, 04:21 PM
My mail is fine - it's my bookmarks that have gone weird. When I go up and click on bookmarks I get the beachball for at least 1 minute. However I noticed that sometimes if I go up and right click on bookmarks they open instantly. It's a real pain in the butt let me tell you. Incidentally this is on my 17" powerbook. I installed Tiger on my 15" Powerbook and its bookmarks are fine although it has a lot less on it.

Anybody experiencing the same thing?

Flinders1231
30th April 2005, 12:27 AM
I have spent the day & night trying to get Mail 2 going after installing Tiger. I was not impressed with this problem & this incident & several others since switching leads me to think some of the hype about Mac OS' is sometimes overdone.

Anyway I seem to have got Mail working as following;

* I trashed some mail plugins I was using in previous Mail version & this at least allowed Mail to open - though moment I tried to open a message the thing crashed.

** Then by sheer chance I found a PGP plugin in a mail folder which was remnants of me playing around with the Pretty Good Privacy application some time back. The fact that it was hanging around did not worry Mail in Panther ... but all I can say the moment I sent this "orphan" plugin to the trash ... Mail sprang into life, ... strange but true.

I kinda find this surprising, ... but at the moment I will not argue with the favourable outcome.

Anyway for those struggling to get Mail 2 going one (obvious?) solution is to search the hard drive & remove any file "attached/linked" to mail that does not seem strictly necessary.