PDA

View Full Version : Need Help - iPhone and Exchange

the_doctor
18th September 2008, 12:06 PM
Could someone with some knowledge on the iPhone and Exchange please help me out here.

My company uses another company for all our IT needs. They do an OK job for us but the main guy that I deal with is starting to give me the shits. We don't use Macs at work (shame on us) and the guy we deal with is very anti-mac and especially anti-iPhone. 2 people in our office use Blackberrys and 3 use iPhones. We want to set up our email on the phone through Exchange and as I don't know much about it I went to the IT company to give us a quote on setting it up. On the phone he was very hostile about it saying that I should have bought an iPhone and that I should have bought a Blackberry. I told him that that wasn't an option and that he should just get a quote for me.

Anyway here is what he wrote back to me:

We have been doing some homework on this. However, to our knowledge, no corporate of any size has adopted or approved the use of the iPhone because of security issues and because there is too much overhead to manage this device.

Also, the main reason businesses adopt such a device is to send/receive email - and in this area, Blackberry is way ahead.
(There is also the issue of how it will work in an existing Blackberry/RIM environment.)

It appears that to get Exchange Active Sync to work, you will first need to purchase/install a server certificate (to enable basic SSL authentication) - which might cost around $400.

Then there are a number of network/server changes that need to be implemented - update public DNS, create web listener, web client, check & modify firewall and other network configurations, as well as setting up Exchange account - enable Active Directory, configure/change polices and security settings, download/install admin tool for mobile devices.

Bottom Line: It's not just log-on to the server and tick a few boxes, and therefore we cannot give a definitive price for getting an iPhone to work with Exchange at this time. We are also talking to one of the recognised experts in setting-up Blackberry's and other such devices to get their feedback and advice.

We are happy to give it a go and put a cap of, say, $500 on it (after purchase of server certificate) & if we reach that amount then letting you decide whether to continue or not.

Could someone with knowledge on the iPhone and Exchange please confirm whether what he is saying is true or if he is just trying to steer me away from the iPhone.

Thanks.

tcn33
18th September 2008, 12:11 PM
This article (http://www.macworld.com/article/135602/2008/09/iphone3g_business2.html?lsrc=rss_main) from Macworld may be helpful.

dracomjb
18th September 2008, 03:04 PM
My understanding of the way the iPhone works with Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync is that it connects to an Outlook Web Access server. This is should be configured to serve HTTPS and your firewall needs to know about the Microsoft Exchange stuff.

If you already have a working Outlook Web Access with https access then the only possible reason it might not work is if the Exchange server hasn't been configured to do ActiveSync or your user account is not enabled for it.

I look after our Exchange servers, we had everything setup as required and the only slight problem I had was the way our Outlook Web Access site was configured for our Front End Server to talk to the back end server.

mac_man_luke
18th September 2008, 03:33 PM
The part about an SSL certificate costing $400 is a little odd, they can be had for far less than that

decryption
18th September 2008, 03:39 PM
The stuff he is saying is all true - however, that should be done already.

Are you guys currently using Exchange for your email or something else?

the_doctor
18th September 2008, 03:59 PM
The stuff he is saying is all true - however, that should be done already.

Are you guys currently using Exchange for your email or something else?

Yes we are using an Exchange Server for email.

I know nothing about all this and I sense a disturbance in the force. I'm sure what he is saying is true but it is the way he is going about it all and bad mouthing the iPhone that shits me.

decryption
18th September 2008, 04:01 PM
If you're already using exchange, then I don't see that what he's said in the email is bad advice (or even bad mouthing the iPhone).

Pay him the money and get the iPhone going - they work for you, not the other way around. Simply tell them "MAKE IPHONE WORK" and they should do it. Big whoop if it's a hassle for them, that's what you pay them for. It's not as if you're asking for an exotic custom setup - many places on much larger installs have the iPhone working fine.

the_doctor
18th September 2008, 04:07 PM
He's been bad mouthing the iPhone on the phone to me not in the email.

Just wanted to get the MacTalk experts opinions on whether what he was saying was right or whether he was just steering me away from the iPhone.

mcargy08
18th September 2008, 05:20 PM
All you need to know the Exchange server address of your company's exchange and thats it. And the Exchange server should be configured on POP and IMAP as well.
I'm on IT Department in our company and I am the one who set up all our staff's iPhone to connect to our exchange server. Everything works perfectly fine.
exchange server name should be something like this: mail.businessname.com.au
The username on the username field on iPhone should be on this format, DOMAIN\username

Joey1983
18th September 2008, 09:38 PM
Your IT guy sounds like a douche.

You just need the server address, domain, your username and password.
Pretty sure there's an option on the phone to not use an SSL Certificate.