PDA

View Full Version : Japan: 300khm in a train

Currawong
20th May 2004, 08:53 PM
Speed junkies, here are some video's of what 300kmh in a train looks like, or at least, the blur of the surrounding countryside. Unfortunately, the frame rate is crap, but you get the idea. The first two films are from a previous trip to Japan, and the latter two I took a few days ago when heading back from Tokyo to Fukuoka.

http://currawong.net/temp/shinkansen2.AVI - shows some nearby buildings as we passed through a city.

http://currawong.net/temp/shinkansen1.AVI - shows a road next to the train line. If you want to get an idea, imagine you're driving at the speed of the train along the road.

28/5: Fixed URL Below

http://currawong.net/temp/17-car-shinkansen-passing.avi - We were sitting at a station and I managed to catch a passing train. Note that the train is about half a km long.

http://currawong.net/temp/Through-a-station.avi - passing through a station.

:)

elvis
20th May 2004, 09:13 PM
Nov 1999 to Jan 2000 I did a backpack tour through Japan. I started down at Shimonoseki and worked my way up the country to Tokyo, and then west into the mountains (and then all the way back down again).

Along the way I stopped for a few days here and there, just wandering around and hanging out with locals, eating and drinking lots. Small towns, big towns, tourist routes, non-tourist routes - whatever was there to be looked at and eaten at. God that was fun. Places like Hiroshima and Kobe at Christmas time are just incredible to be in, as was Tokyo for the 1999/2000 turnover.

I also rode the Shinkansen on the way back for about an hour to fast-track it between two places. The speed of that thing is unbelievable.

At one stage I was reading a book, and a friend of mine caught my attention and told me to look out the window. Out the left window I saw the ground! I didn't understand at first what was going on, so I looked out the right window and saw sky! It took me a minute to realise the train was actually going around a bend, and to compensate for the force, the entire track tilts to almost 45 degrees! Because you are travelling so fast, the resultant force is directly downwards for the passengers, and you don't even notice how steeply banked the whole thing is. You sit/stand comfortably at 45 degrees to the world without even noticing as the train rockets around this huge bend in the track.

The Shinkansen is simply and incredible feat of engineering. Very impressive. As was the scenery as we shot past Fuji-san at near dusk.

If anyone gets the chance, go and visit. You won't be disappointed.

Currawong
20th May 2004, 09:40 PM
I have some photos of the tilted track I took just before that train passed by us. I learned quickly that if our train didn't depart straight away after arriving at a station and there were central tracks that something was going to pass by fast, so I started the video going, but a train had already started to pass by.

The only reason those trains can run is the complete dedication and focus of the drivers and other staff. For those unfamiliar, every train in Japan (bar accidents and other unexpected events) runs dead on time. I wish now I'd filmed the platform guards, they are quite comical as they check the time, then the platform, then the time again, then press the warning bell on the exact second needed.

elvis
21st May 2004, 04:14 PM
I remember too well the first time one of the pushmen came up behind me and gave me a shove onto the train. I was just about to turn around and clobber the guy when a Japanese friend of mine explained that's just the way things are done there. :)

I also remember how amazed I was when everyone was bitching about a train that was 3 minutes late on New Year's Eve! No-one believed me when I told them in Australia it's pretty much expected any form of public transport is 10 minutes early/late at the best of times. And that on New Year's Eve you can pretty much expect it to just be not running at all. To them the idea that people could not care about their jobs that much was simply overwhelming.

Byrd
21st May 2004, 10:31 PM
But public transport is free here in Melbourne :P

Seriously, very interesting stuff Currawong - must check it out for myself 'someday' - where else are you intending to travel to?

JB

elvis
21st May 2004, 11:14 PM
Heh... I just watched "The Last Samurai" tonight, and rekindled my desire to visit Japan again.

Time to start saving for another trip, methinks...

decryption
21st May 2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by bYrd@May 21 2004, 10:31 PM
But public transport is free here in Melbourne :P
My $72.50 Monthly Zone 1+2 Concession ticket says otherwise! :P

pipsqeek
22nd May 2004, 08:55 AM
17-Car somethinerather Passing.avi is not in existance...according to Safari.

But Curra, that is awsome stuff. I needed a serious fix of speed after not riding my bike for so long. Although my bike did not hit 300, it was up there at 270 with my fat arse on board. I have hit 320 though on a Hyabusa (GSX-R1300) Still the worlds fastest production bike, out of the box. People have recorded speeds on them of up to 321-325km/h

Sounds good though man. I would love to be on that train. Banked over..like on the bike, hehe :)

Nice.

Steve

kim jong il
28th May 2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by elvis@May 21 2004, 11:14 PM
Heh... I just watched "The Last Samurai" tonight, and rekindled my desire to visit Japan again.

Time to start saving for another trip, methinks...
"the last samurai"? then you'll be going to the land where it was filmed? new zealand?

couple of years ago it was the home of middle earth now they've gone upmarket and are calling it japan.

Sorry, I could not resist. My brother said kyoto was very special.

AND, sorry currawong, back to your topic. First of all i was not too impressed until on the second viewing when I had done the mental calculations on distance travelled per second as represented by your video. It must be quite unusual.

EDIT: I'm guessing around 75 m/second

My only experience of high speed trains was in england, almost 20 years ago, I was standing at finsbury park station and the intercity 125 came flying through (200 kmh). I was standing about 2 metres from it. It was awsome then. 300? I think I might sending my undies to the cleaners

cheers, kim

kim jong il
28th May 2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@May 22 2004, 08:55 AM
it was up there at 270 with my fat arse on board. I have hit 320 though on a Hyabusa (GSX-R1300) Still the worlds fastest production bike, out of the box. People have recorded speeds on them of up to 321-325km/h

Sounds good though man. I would love to be on that train. Banked over..like on the bike, hehe :)

Nice.

Steve
won't say where, won't say when. 11,000 rpm, top gear 2500 to go; came up on a pack of traffic like it was stationary (closing speed approx 145 kmh). That's fast enough for me

BigX
28th May 2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by bYrd@May 21 2004, 10:31 PM
must check it out for myself 'someday' - where else are you intending to travel to?

I spent a month living in Tokyo about in early 2003 and took several trips on the shinkansen out to some amazing parts of Japan. I'd recommend Japan to anyone.... but I think 'someday' is not soon enough ;)

Paul

Currawong
28th May 2004, 10:39 AM
I'm posting this having just got home (and of course, I go and check email first...). Fixed the broken URL (thanks Steve). Got a few small goodies, though not as many photos as i'm sure everyone would like.

Prices for PC equipment made outisde of Japan aren't any longer cheaper than Oz...I was dissapointed in a way, but then, at least I don't have to wait to go to Japan again to get the best prices.

elvis
28th May 2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by kim jong il@May 28 2004, 09:02 AM
"the last samurai"? then you'll be going to the land where it was filmed? new zealand?
I meant the whole "culture shock" he experienced. The scenery was far too green to be modern Japan! :)

(Although there are still some beautiful rainforests around the place, but the cities are all concrete jungles).

I actually expected it was filmed in New Gineau from the foliage and greenery I saw, but New Zealand makes sense.

kim jong il
29th May 2004, 04:55 AM
Certain parts of new zealand were chosen because of a couple of reasons i suspect. Although i have not seen the movie I suspect mt fuji must appear somewhere as there is a NZ volcano which apparrently has an uncanny similarity to fuji which dictated at least one location choice. The other major reason would be production costs. I suspect NZ could not be as much as half as expensive at most.

Interestingly, you mention forests and you may find this hard to believe, when it comes to the protection of natural (and cultural heritage**) japan may be number one in the world when compared with all the developed nations. For example: they have maintained more than 95% of their native forests that existed at the turn of the 19th century. (they do not give a shit about anyone elses, but they nurture their own). They are the prototype NIMBY's when it comes to logging.

**I know very little about japanese culture (actually, nothing might be more accurate. Or in fact culture at all, I'm more of a sir les patterson type in some respects).

I've dealt with a few businessmen and was impressed (and charmed) by their, paradoxically, informal formal politeness)

cheers, kim

Currawong
29th May 2004, 04:00 PM
Thinking of films, two really good films to see are "The Seven Samurai" and "Yojimbo". They were made by Kurosawa, considered probably the greatest Japanese film maker. The lead actor in both is a sword master, which makes it all the more amazing. More alternative video stores hold subtitled versions of both.

decryption
29th May 2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Currawong@May 28 2004, 10:39 AM
Prices for PC equipment made outisde of Japan aren't any longer cheaper than Oz...I was dissapointed in a way, but then, at least I don't have to wait to go to Japan again to get the best prices.
Good old MSY :D

elvis
31st May 2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by decryption@May 29 2004, 04:37 PM
*COUGH*greyimportersdodgingtax*COUGH*

decryption
31st May 2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by elvis+May 31 2004, 09:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elvis @ May 31 2004, 09:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-decryption@May 29 2004, 04:37 PM
*COUGH*greyimportersdodgingtax*COUGH* [/b][/quote]
Is that illegal?

kim jong il
1st June 2004, 06:16 AM
Sorry, totally off topic again (as usual), who, or what, is MSY?

TIA, kim

decryption
1st June 2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by kim jong il@Jun 1 2004, 06:16 AM
Sorry, totally off topic again (as usual), who, or what, is MSY?

TIA, kim
www.msy.com.au

Computer store with the cheapest prices around. I&#39;ve purchased around &#036;20,000 of hardware from there, either for myself, or for friends, so I&#39;ve got some respect for them. They don&#39;t try to sell me stuff, I just walk in, tell them what I want, and leave knowing I paid the lowest price possible without hagging.

However, some people doubt their business practices, such as grey importing things to avoid tax. Dunno if that&#39;s illegal or not, but it doesn&#39;t seem to impact upon things like warranty and such.

Either way, I recommend them :P