PDA

View Full Version : imac strange clicking noise

entropy
17th September 2008, 10:10 PM
There is a weird sound coming out of the back of the imac - it sounds like something rubbing- clicks away for while then stops suddenly. Possibly something that is rotating. It's all quiet for a while then starts up again. While it is doing it I get the beach ball. In fact I am getting the beach ball a lot, even after a restart. Anyone care to guess what's happening?

gareth
17th September 2008, 10:19 PM
sounds to me like your HD imac still under warranty?

entropy
17th September 2008, 10:26 PM
No. I bought it the day the rev B imac G5 came out. It's over three years old. Do these things take standard 3.5 ATAs?
And now I just have the spinning beach ball.

This imac has already had its logic board and PMU replaced. Great.

tazgtz
17th September 2008, 10:39 PM
HD during slowly... :(

entropy
17th September 2008, 10:42 PM
Just noticed under istat pro that the Hd temp is 68 and the cpu 72 degrees. I turned it off.

So I can just pull out the 320Gb clone in my crappy laCie Porsche case and whack it in the imac?

Tiprya
17th September 2008, 10:48 PM
Yeah, replacing HDD in G5 iMac is pretty easy.

Mine died a couple months ago and i've got a 640Gb in there now.

Takes 3.5" normal SATA drives - I backed up whole drive to time machine, then restored to the new hard drive after it was installed and it was like nothing had changed (except I had like 500gb extra free space).

Currawong
17th September 2008, 11:21 PM
The drive in your Porche case is probably not SATA, so it may not go in.

entropy
18th September 2008, 07:05 AM
Just had a look at MSY. What is the difference between WD SATA and WD SATA AV?

I gather it is more reliable? Or should I go seagate?

fiark
18th September 2008, 07:37 AM
Um, why has no-one told you to back up and take it in to be fixed? This sounds like your HD is about to fail.

entropy
18th September 2008, 07:42 AM
I backed up to my clone drive only last weekend. :)

So, WD AV, standard WD, or seagate?

arkenstone
18th September 2008, 08:01 AM
I backed up to my clone drive only last weekend. :)

So, WD AV, standard WD, or seagate?

I like Seagate. Meanwhile MacTalk is sponsored by WD.
WD's AV is apparently designed for AV tasks - I.e. A lot more reading and writing than your standard drive. Supposedly they have higher tolerances. Whether or not it's worth the extra coin is obviously up to you.

Phase
18th September 2008, 08:04 AM
I don't mind seagate.

I used to hate on Western Digital, but after having a 2 lacie's and a maxtor go down, while another WD drive kept chugging along has made me rethink.

That being said for internal drives, I would not look past Samsung's Spin Point F1's. As many other Mac Pro users on this forums will attest to, they're brilliant.