PDA

View Full Version : itunes on vista

abure
17th September 2008, 12:13 PM
ok, firstly, try not to carry on about how its just vista being a pita. i know its comparable to dog shit, but my mum still wanted to use windows on her computer and, well, its her computer, so i can deal with that.

so anyway, today she brought an ipod, which is all well and good, until we went to install itunes. It downloads, starts to set up and then tells me it cant continue as it has errors and my system has not been modified.

i tried the normal stuff: restart, run as admin. NO luck.

So how do i fix this???

Oh, and she is about to kill me if i mutter the sentance "this wouldnt happen on a mac" one more time

silverdreamer
17th September 2008, 12:17 PM
Sorry I can't help, but your story has a certain comic appeal. :p

Someone else here should be able to get you sorted, good luck.

theov
17th September 2008, 12:26 PM
are you sure you have the correct version of itunes; there is a 64-bit version that downloads as default instead of the 32-bit version. Without the right version it will not install properly; i had this problem on a friends Vaio the other day.

theov

abure
17th September 2008, 12:32 PM
lol, im glad someone finds it comical...not so sure my mum will when i smash her computer on the tiles ;)

I tried downloading both versions, the other one (64bit) wont even open, so im sure i have the right one.

when i open itunes, it loads, asks me where i want to install it, if i want desktop icons, etc, and then just tells it its finished and it had errors. It doesnt even tell me what errors

AnthoMac
17th September 2008, 01:15 PM
Does she have full administrator rights or does that 'cancel or allow' dialog box (UAC)? Here's a longshot: uninstall itunes (if it appeared in the add/remove programs), right click the setup file and select properties, then under compatibility select 'windows xp sp2'. then right click again and this time click 'run as administrator'.

Your problem does warrant a pc-on-the-floor solution though!

SaucyChick
17th September 2008, 01:27 PM
There was an article in the herald sun today about this issue

*looks up link*

Apple&squo;s iTunes blamed for Windows Vista crash | Herald Sun (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24330637-661,00.html)

Also, I found this, may be helpful, but I haven't actually read it (it was the next link listed on google when I was looking for the Herald Sun article).

Fixing the iTunes 8/iPhone blue screen of death - iPhone Atlas (http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2008/09/11/fixing-the-itunes-8iphone-blue-screen-of-death/)

ath
17th September 2008, 02:45 PM
try downloading an older version of itunes.

or perhaps installing all needed vista updates.

i've never had a problem with itunes and vista, so it is either hardware specific, or you havent updated your software.

Jordan M
17th September 2008, 02:50 PM
I have had no problems with iTunes and Vista untill 8.0, The install somehow corrupted my Library and the firmware update to 2.1 completly corruputed the iPod and had to use a friends MB to fix.

I suggest sticking with 7.7 until 8.0.1 or similar.

mitty
17th September 2008, 03:08 PM
My HTPC is Vista, installed itunes 8.0, works beautifully, 32 bit version. The only problem I sometimes get is going in to Itunes everything is black except for text and some buttons, but minimising and maximising fixes this. I haven't noticed it happen in version 8.0 yet though so that might be fixed as well.

abure
17th September 2008, 05:45 PM
i will hunt down an older version of itunes.

she is the administrator on the computer, and it has no issues with that. nor did i get the 'blue screen of death' just a polite little itunes message.

i think she regrets her choice in computer now...so far it has died twice, erased all her software and files, and just been a royal pain in the preverbial in the last 6 months.

Do you think i warrent an "I Told you to buy a mac"???

ath
17th September 2008, 05:48 PM
not really. it just sounds like you have a really unreliable pc.

TheWatchman
17th September 2008, 05:54 PM
There was an article in the herald sun today about this issue

*looks up link*

Apple&squo;s iTunes blamed for Windows Vista crash | Herald Sun (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24330637-661,00.html)

Also, I found this, may be helpful, but I haven't actually read it (it was the next link listed on google when I was looking for the Herald Sun article).

Fixing the iTunes 8/iPhone blue screen of death - iPhone Atlas (http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2008/09/11/fixing-the-itunes-8iphone-blue-screen-of-death/)

Different issue entirely.

Try right clicking the setup file and clicking run as administrator (if UAC is turned on, click Allow when it pops up). My thoughts are when it's trying to create the shortcuts its unable to because it needs admin privileges or something like that.

geektechnu
17th September 2008, 06:20 PM
The setup file is also extractable using WinRAR or 7-zip.
This will give you a folder with individual MSI setup files for each component that you can then install separately.

The only components that are strictly necessary are iTunes.msi and QuickTIme.msi.
The five other MSI files can be skipped, or installed at a later date.

abure
18th September 2008, 07:20 AM
i will give it a go. Failing that i will ring Toshiba and speak to them about it. This computer is more trouble than its worth.

and now i fully appreciate my mac...love thy mac