PDA

View Full Version : Free Internode Wi-Fi for iPhone Users!

decryption
17th September 2008, 11:20 AM
Internode are awesome and this just proves it even further. Internode are making their range of wi-fi hotspots available for free for iPhone users. You don't even need to be an Internode customer. Just connect to the Internode hot-spot and it knows you're on an iPhone - sweet!

This is mainly good news for our South Australian friends, as Internode's coverage outside of SA is very slim. Still - kudos to Internode :D

More details here: Internode :: About :: News and Media :: Internode hotspots put out welcome mat for iPhones (http://www.internode.on.net/news/2008/09/105.php)

carlow1
17th September 2008, 11:28 AM
This is excellent news. Thanks for the heads up Decryption. :)

Cybix
17th September 2008, 11:29 AM
amazing. "free" is pretty rare these days.

shihyuan
17th September 2008, 11:34 AM
amazing. "free" is pretty rare these days.

Yes indeed! Although they don't have many free wi-fi spots in vic but still very appreciating for their free service

decryption
17th September 2008, 11:41 AM
Yes indeed! Although they don't have many free wi-fi spots in vic but still very appreciating for their free service

Well there's two cafes in Melbourne that have it:
http://heyinternet.com/imgdump/Internode_Wireless_Hotspots-20080917-114009.jpg

If you're an Internode ISP customer, I think they are free to hook your laptop up to also.

mac_man_luke
17th September 2008, 11:42 AM
what was stopping you doing it before now?

Cybix
17th September 2008, 11:42 AM
well there's zero in WA. heh... I thought I'd be belting down the DATA on my iphone so went with a 500MB plan.. I rarely use more than 150MB a month, sometimes less.. (mainly email/web)

melbmac
17th September 2008, 11:44 AM

If you're an Internode ISP customer, I think they are free to hook your laptop up to also.

I'm gonna go have a coffee there just to use the "free" wifi, I love free wifi!

bok
17th September 2008, 11:52 AM
hehe. Love internode to bits - need more hotspots in Melb though. Should harass local businesses to get some in there :)

mechcon
17th September 2008, 11:54 AM
One of my favourite drinking spots in Adelaide (Crown and Anchor) now have full wireless.. AWESOME :D

mac_man_luke
17th September 2008, 11:55 AM
for once an advantage of being in adelaide :)

tangent23
17th September 2008, 12:03 PM

i think even if you aren't a customer, you can still hook up your laptop, you can only do light browsing though, no large downloads, at least that's the case here, you login as guest..

Supreme
17th September 2008, 12:04 PM
I'm gonna go have a coffee there just to use the "free" wifi, I love free wifi!

That's why they have it. ;)

tcn33
17th September 2008, 12:05 PM

only two? outrage, scumbags, TIO etc.

azenis
17th September 2008, 12:56 PM
Nothing in Tassie at all :( Sux

SRG
17th September 2008, 01:13 PM
Actually been logging in a guest at CIBO @ Merthyr Square New Farm for a while now. As a guest you just couldn't access e-mail.

Only thing is seems you can't 'sign-up' unless you are in a hotspot. After that though you should be right to go each time without having to log in.

I will give it a go Saturday when I am next at CIBO.

iThinkMac
17th September 2008, 02:05 PM
If it hasn't been mentioned, there is an Internode hotspot at Newcastle and also Darwin - used it last trip - was great...

sighclops
17th September 2008, 02:26 PM
they have teh internets in sa? wow who woulda thought!

nah, good news tho :D

battye
17th September 2008, 03:16 PM
only two? outrage, scumbags, TIO etc.

:p:p:p

scritch
17th September 2008, 03:23 PM
for once an advantage of being in adelaide :)

[total tongue-in-cheek here]

Well there's nothing else to do in Adelaide - you might as well go to a cafe, sit down, have a coffee and browse the free internet on your iPhone surrounded by no-one you know :)

On a more serious note - I believe Internode (or somone) should offer a service to all of their ADSL2+ customers to provide a WiFi router that makes every residential customer an Internode WiFi hotspot - they could setup a credit system that pays money off your bill each month (capped) the more public people use it, and if they set it up right would segment the WiFi using VLAN's or similar so public could not see the home network.

The tech exists - web portal etc on Linksys routers (from memory) that Internode could customise.

Personally I think it would rock.

Regards,
Shane.

beckcollect
17th September 2008, 05:43 PM
My work is about 300 metres from 2 wi-fi spots in Adelaide - wish the signal was a little stronger!

WoWTopia
17th September 2008, 05:44 PM
only 2 in VIC :(

sobie2000
17th September 2008, 06:19 PM
Saw this on Sunday just past when I was at dj in adelaides mall. The signal was strong enough to continue surfing onthe top floor of the building. So many cibos in Adelaide won't have trouble finding a hot spot. Thanks internode.

lama323
17th September 2008, 06:24 PM
no WA :(

kyte
17th September 2008, 06:30 PM
Packing up and heading for The Three Monkeys (Newcastle). Or i suppose I could go to Williamtown and sit in the airport. Then again, I have node at home so might just stay put :) For now. Dinner tomorrow night though, now thats a whole different thing.

motef
18th September 2008, 07:41 AM
Packing up and heading for The Three Monkeys (Newcastle). Or i suppose I could go to Williamtown and sit in the airport. Then again, I have node at home so might just stay put :) For now. Dinner tomorrow night though, now thats a whole different thing.

I wonder how far the signal stretchs from The Three Monkeys down Darby St?

Surely it would reach across the road to The Delaney!

Woo Hoo!

chrism238
18th September 2008, 07:55 AM
they have teh internets in sa? wow who woulda thought!They've been ready for 'em for a while now, but had to wait for the 'lectric to be put on.

kyte
18th September 2008, 07:58 AM
I wonder how far the signal stretchs from The Three Monkeys down Darby St?

Surely it would reach across the road to The Delaney!

Woo Hoo!

Might just have to test that out today :) The Hamilton wireless option is so bad I dont use it at all... but this... this is very special :)

shiny
18th September 2008, 08:14 AM
They've been ready for 'em for a while now, but had to wait for the 'lectric to be put on.

We had 'lectric, but the last hampster died, took a while to find a new one to power the wheel and put the 'lectric back on.:p

This is good news as I work in the CBD :thumbup:

emerson
18th September 2008, 09:04 AM
Gave it a go last night on Rundle St, was pretty disappointed with the speed and ended up turning off wireless and connecting with 3G which was 10 times faster :(
(was connected with 2 or 3 bars)

vortex_
18th September 2008, 09:15 AM
Haha sweet :D I have an Internode Wifi point I can connect to from my desk at work :D

Edit: Just tried it, no dice. Gen1 iPhone, if that matters..

Still works the old way, open safari and guest login, but none of the apps work.

dappleone
18th September 2008, 09:16 AM
Gave it a go last night on Rundle St, was pretty disappointed with the speed and ended up turning off wireless and connecting with 3G which was 10 times faster :(
(was connected with 2 or 3 bars)

I have used my Palm PDA at the Adelaide airport on wifi without a problem (no iPhone yet). Also, repeated this at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital cafe (at least I think it was Internode, though I might be corrected on this point). Kudos to Internode for the service.:)

Cheers

emerson
18th September 2008, 09:31 AM
I have used my Palm PDA at the Adelaide airport on wifi without a problem (no iPhone yet). Also, repeated this at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital cafe (at least I think it was Internode, though I might be corrected on this point). Kudos to Internode for the service.:)

Cheers

Yeah i think i was connected to the Internode building as it was right behind the cafe i was in.
maybe there was some hardcore lecherzzzz still hard at work :D

I actually tried later on in the night at Cold Rock on Rundle and connected to a citylan connection but got their login page, not sure if it had a guest option so i didnt test.

DJY
18th September 2008, 08:05 PM
If it hasn't been mentioned, there is an Internode hotspot at Newcastle and also Darwin - used it last trip - was great...

I used the Darwin airport hotspot this week when I was there!
Was great.

Was using Qantas Club mostly - but went out to see some other people - and VOILA!

Novotel Bris have Telstra wifi on certain floors which I also used this week - but I found the connection dropped out if I was only checking and sending emails quite regularly...
so let's hope Internode spread more wifi hotspots around!

Some in ACT would be nice too please Mr Internode!

iThinkMac
19th September 2008, 04:03 PM
Yea, I was doing a video chat with Dad who's just left Darwin airport this afternoon. He was using the internode wireless. From memory, you can only download 30mb of data before the session times out. It's easy to log back in though, and then you have another 30mb.

greepo
20th September 2008, 12:37 AM
Almost everywhere I normally go in Adelaide is near or in range of an Internode wireless hotspot. Central Market, Cibo(s), Hindley St has a couple, my work local on Unley Rd. Email is no problem if you use the web-based option rather than an email client and Skype video works a treat, so bandwidth and access is great. Internode is the shit. I wonder how long until they start charging? Hopefully it will remain free for a while yet.

Razer
20th September 2008, 10:43 AM
Adelaide definitely has the best free wi-fi service in Australia. Sometimes they are a bit slow espically on Rundle St where a lot of people would be using the service. Did you see that? Australia has the best of something!

iThinkMac
21st September 2008, 11:00 AM
No, no, you said that Adelaide has the best wi-fi service in Australia. That's not to say that Australia has the best wi-fi service in the world. ;) :p

All good ;)
R

LarryH
21st September 2008, 11:04 AM
What about iPod touch users?