PDA

View Full Version : A few days on 2.1 and all the old issues are back :(

ParanoidAndroid
16th September 2008, 11:08 AM
I ďupgradedĒ to 2.1 as soon as it came out and things were great for 2 days (all the issues fixed), but then they started to get progressively worse again. Iím not sure what that means or how itís even possible for things to get worse over time like that.

Iím having the following issues:

I lose the 3G signal completely. This happens a lot more than I ever did under 2.0.2. Even if the phone is sitting on my desk I lose 3G, then get it back then lose it again every few minutes.
Reception goes full bars to none and back again even when the phone isnít moving.
Every 30 mins or so I get a message to say the Wi-Fi password is incorrect when it isnít. I push cancel and it continues to stay connected.
I lose the Wi-Fi connection every hour or so and the iPhone canít see network anymore.
Apps will crash and return the phone to the home screen. This happens with Safari but apart from that itís only stuff from the App Store.
The phone SIM locks spontaneously and I need to re-enter the unlock code. This happens 3-4 times a day

Most of these are fixed temporarily by restarting the phone.

Are other people having the same probs? Iíve restored it twice to see it that helps but no luck. Any ideas what I can do?

the_doctor
16th September 2008, 11:11 AM
Maybe you should take the phone back to where you purchased it as it seems to be faulty.

I'm not experiencing any of these problems.

Safari crashes occasionally for me but it's not a huge deal breaking deal.

Aside from the 3G issues you are experiencing it seems that all the other issues may be phone related so you should probably take it back.

Sucks that you are having these issues because it is an awesome phone when working properly.

Ecto1
16th September 2008, 11:23 AM
How offten do you reboot the iphone. I reboot everyday, as i turn it off at night as i dont really need it on when i am sleeping.

VALANDI
16th September 2008, 11:36 AM
Ever since i have updated I have not had 1 single problem and amd loving it! so nice to be problem free.

Andrew T Chadwick
16th September 2008, 11:43 AM
Ever since i have updated I have not had 1 single problem and amd loving it! so nice to be problem free.+ 1 here,still phucking brilliant.:D

WhiteiPhone
16th September 2008, 11:47 AM
dude your phone is faulty, take it back to where you brought it.
but first call apple and get a exception code, so then the store has a reference that you talked to apple about the issues.

ParanoidAndroid
16th September 2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the advice. I called Apple and they agreed that it sounds like a faulty phone. They said I can send it back (postage paid) and they'll send me a replacement. Or alternatively I can try my luck at the Virgin store.

Did I just say "try my luck at a virgin store" !?1? ;)

mitty
16th September 2008, 12:53 PM
Jailbroken 2.1 here and it's still brilliant. Though I have had one or two safari crashes... but not as many as I used to. I know my partner has had some as well and his is not jailbroken, so that's not the cause, safari is still buggy at least to some extent.

shihyuan
16th September 2008, 12:57 PM
Did I just say "try my luck at a virgin store" !?1? ;)

I want to know whether you are lucky or not if you do go to a virgin store :D

DazR6
16th September 2008, 12:58 PM
Just a Safari crash today thats it! But yesterday took a second back up to get the message alert to work.

chrome
16th September 2008, 01:08 PM
I loose the 3G signal completely. This happens a lot more than I ever did under 2.0.2. Even if the phone is sitting on my desk I loose 3G, then get it back then loose it again every few minutes.
Reception goes full bars to none and back again even when the phone isnít moving.
Every 30 mins or so I get a message to say the Wi-Fi password is incorrect when it isnít. I push cancel and it continues to stay connected.
I loose the Wi-Fi connection every hour or so and the iPhone canít see network anymore.

Some of this sounds familiar. I found that it all went away when I did a complete DFU restore and didn't restore from backup. Ie, just a firmware re-install with no settings.

mab
16th September 2008, 01:15 PM
lose not loose dude:)

mcargy08
16th September 2008, 05:43 PM
I ďupgradedĒ to 2.1 as soon as it came out and things were great for 2 days (all the issues fixed), but then they started to get progressively worse again. Iím not sure what that means or how itís even possible for things to get worse over time like that.

Iím having the following issues:

I loose the 3G signal completely. This happens a lot more than I ever did under 2.0.2. Even if the phone is sitting on my desk I loose 3G, then get it back then loose it again every few minutes.
I loose the Wi-Fi connection every hour or so and the iPhone canít see network anymore.
Apps will crash and return the phone to the home screen. This happens with Safari but apart from that itís only stuff from the App Store.
The phone SIM locks spontaneously and I need to re-enter the unlock code. This happens 3-4 times a day

Most of these are fixed temporarily by restarting the phone.

Are other people having the same probs? Iíve restored it twice to see it that helps but no luck. Any ideas what I can do?

This is happening to me as well. So Apple reckon its a faulty phone? I should ring Apple I guess.

ParanoidAndroid
16th September 2008, 06:00 PM
lose not loose dude:)

Fixed. Wouldn't want you to lose any sleep over it ;)

ParanoidAndroid
16th September 2008, 06:08 PM
So assuming the Virgin store has one in stock (iPhone not virgin) and will do a swap, I guess I should be doing a secure erase beforehand? Would they or Apple have a specific policy on that kind of thing when replacing phones? e.g. they always erase them for customers. It would be good not having to worry about it so I could use my phone during the day before I return it in my lunch break.

dotComrade
16th September 2008, 06:08 PM
I get basically the same issues, I am pretty sure a replacement phone would fix it, but I am using it to get out of my Optus contract without paying the early termination fee (I'm not going to go into Optus bashing here)

ParanoidAndroid
16th September 2008, 06:12 PM
I get basically the same issues, I am pretty sure a replacement phone would fix it, but I am using it to get out of my Optus contract without paying the early termination fee (I'm not going to go into Optus bashing here)

Like "Cancel my contract or I'll bash you with this faulty iPhone!" ;)

dotComrade
16th September 2008, 06:13 PM
Like "Cancel my contract or I'll bash you with this faulty iPhone!" ;)

That was my exact plan! Except I wouldn't warn them, I would just go straight in swinging

mcargy08
16th September 2008, 06:57 PM
what's the apple iphoe number to call?

kantush
16th September 2008, 07:55 PM
2.1 upgrade is just brilliant...no dramas at all...improvement on pretty much everything..

MacRobbo
16th September 2008, 08:39 PM
I have not had any problems since 2.1, maybe your phone is faulty?

Joey1983
16th September 2008, 09:41 PM
[

This is the only problem I'm getting now, the 3G bars seem to be erratic but only at my home. I travel around sydney all day for work and pretty much get full reception everywhere I go.

3G reception has always been dodgy at my home, so I know not to expect much. But since 2.1 it gets anywhere between 5 Bars to No Signal, all within a matter of seconds and without even touching the phone. the biggest problem is when it stays on No Signal even though the 2G reception in my apartment is great, it won't even let me make a call. :mad:

The 2G to 3G switching was alot better for me on 2.0.2
Vodafone has advised me that the 2G towers in my area are being changed over to 3G, this should be completed by December... :(
Bring on December, or 2.1.1. whichever comes first. :rolleyes:

Sorry for the rant :o
Other than this my phone has been great since 2.1, not having any of the other problems you mentioned.

GeoffP
16th September 2008, 09:58 PM
Only thing I have noticed is that accessing the settings menu takes a wee bit longer than before.

Anyone else noticed this?

Apart from the above, all else is great...

IIe2PB
17th September 2008, 07:31 AM
My first phone did this. Then my second phone did exactly the same. I think it's likely that it's the Optus network that Virgin use.

landog
17th September 2008, 07:34 AM
im having same problems. last night i deleted my backup and did a handset reset (the 2 hr one) then i restored in DFU mode.

Will test today, if problems persist its going back

nando
17th September 2008, 08:37 AM
i upgraded down in Melb...came to Brisb...coorparoo where i live..before 2.1 i couldnt get 3g..well hardly 1bar..now at home i get almost full bars at 3g..so am not complaining!..
its great...havent rebooted since monday..no dramas...all excellent!

drewbles
17th September 2008, 08:43 AM
My first phone did this. Then my second phone did exactly the same. I think it's likely that it's the Optus network that Virgin use.

How does optus cause your wifi to keep supposedly losing it's password?

It sounds like a faulty phone. I'd probably put it into DFU mode, do a restore and see. If it's still happening then yes, take it back but this isn't optus for this one.

IIe2PB
17th September 2008, 09:11 AM
How does optus cause your wifi to keep supposedly losing it's password?

It sounds like a faulty phone. I'd probably put it into DFU mode, do a restore and see. If it's still happening then yes, take it back but this isn't optus for this one.
sorry I meant to reply to Joey. Mine doesn't loose the wireless password or anything like that.

However it does have 5 bars, and then with no explanation drop 3g and jump to gsm.

ParanoidAndroid
17th September 2008, 06:29 PM
When I spoke to Apple they said I could post the phone to Sydney (I'm in Brisbane) for repair/exchange because it couldn't be done in Brisbane. They also said if the Virgin shop has them in stock they are meant to be able to exchange it for a new one right there.

When I spoke to Virgin today they said they would send it to a place in Brisbane (specifically not Sydney) and they don't have to (and won't) swap it over.

What are my rights? I'm sure I've read of people swapping over faulty phones at Optus stores. I'd much rather swap it over in-store then be without a phone for a week. There are Next Byte stores in Brisbane but I'm not sure they sell iPhones do they?

landog
17th September 2008, 06:35 PM
im having same problems. last night i deleted my backup and did a handset reset (the 2 hr one) then i restored in DFU mode.

Will test today, if problems persist its going back

didnt fix it, ordered a replacement via post from Apple today

ParanoidAndroid
17th September 2008, 06:38 PM
didnt fix it, ordered a replacement via post from Apple today

How does that work? You send yours off first and once they receive it they send a replacement?

landog
17th September 2008, 06:59 PM
Repair Costs
The Advance Replacement Service fee is A$39.

Our initial diagnosis indicates that because your product replacement will likely be covered by the warranty or an Apple repair program, there should be no other charge to you for the service performed. If any question arises regarding the repair coverage, we will contact you by phone or email.

Additional Information
Your replacement product should arrive shortly. It will come with instructions for returning the original to Apple using the packaging provided.

Apple has placed a temporary authorization hold ("Equipment Replacement Value") on your credit card. This temporary authorization hold will be removed if Apple receives your original iPhone within ten (10) business days of shipping the replacement to you, and if Apple confirms that your original iPhone is eligible for warranty service. If it is not received within 10 days, Apple will charge your credit card the Equipment Replacement Value. This table shows the Equipment Replacement Values:

A$699 for the iPhone 3G, 8 GB
A$799 for the iPhone 3G, 16 GB

If you fail to deliver your original iPhone before the due date, but deliver it within ten (10) days thereafter and Apple determines that it is eligible for warranty service, Apple will retain A$65 as an additional charge and the remainder of the Equipment Replacement Value will be credited to your credit card.

For more information, please see:

dmw
18th September 2008, 12:55 AM
so 2.1 has taken me to five 3G bars in places where i previously only had one 3G bar , however:

- i still get that pesky alien calling me.
- dropped calls / call failures
- even with five 3G bars its says unable to get cellular data

do i blame all this on optus?

landog
18th September 2008, 08:31 AM
well both optus and voda are rolling out the 3g network as we speak, not sure if its that or the fact that both of them have network over utilisation issues, insufficient backhaul, dodgy hardware on the towers, you name it could be all of the above.

The reality is:
quality - Telstra
cheap - optus / voda

you get what you pay for...

But as to blaming optus, go back to your old handset for a week, see if you have any issues, then turn of 3g on your old handset - guarantee you wont have any issues.

ParanoidAndroid
18th September 2008, 01:10 PM
Repair Costs
The Advance Replacement Service fee is A$39.

Our initial diagnosis indicates that because your product replacement will likely be covered by the warranty or an Apple repair program, there should be no other charge to you for the service performed. If any question arises regarding the repair coverage, we will contact you by phone or email.

Additional Information
Your replacement product should arrive shortly. It will come with instructions for returning the original to Apple using the packaging provided.

Apple has placed a temporary authorization hold ("Equipment Replacement Value") on your credit card. This temporary authorization hold will be removed if Apple receives your original iPhone within ten (10) business days of shipping the replacement to you, and if Apple confirms that your original iPhone is eligible for warranty service. If it is not received within 10 days, Apple will charge your credit card the Equipment Replacement Value. This table shows the Equipment Replacement Values:

A$699 for the iPhone 3G, 8 GB
A$799 for the iPhone 3G, 16 GB

If you fail to deliver your original iPhone before the due date, but deliver it within ten (10) days thereafter and Apple determines that it is eligible for warranty service, Apple will retain A$65 as an additional charge and the remainder of the Equipment Replacement Value will be credited to your credit card.

For more information, please see:

I'm still not 100% clear where you got that information or how I take advantage of the same deal? Any help would be much appreciated!

I spoke to Virgin again (iPhone hotline this time) and was told 20 days. I can't be without a phone for that long. Why can't the bastards exchange it over the counter!??

xpv43
18th September 2008, 01:16 PM
I'm still not 100% clear where you got that information or how I take advantage of the same deal? Any help would be much appreciated!

I spoke to Virgin again (iPhone hotline this time) and was told 20 days. I can't be without a phone for that long. Why can't the bastards exchange it over the counter!??

Call Apple directly... I think it's 133622. Talk to the right people there, and they'll offer you the replacement option. They were incredibly helpful with me a few weeks ago.

IIe2PB
18th September 2008, 03:03 PM
I rang apple and they determined that my hanset was faulty. I had a case number and everything. I gave it to optus and they stuffed around for three weeks. I still did not have a handset so had to make a scene in a shop and they gave me a new one.

So, my advice would be to get it to apple directly if you can. As it turned out it made no difference though.

mcargy08
18th September 2008, 05:08 PM
i rang apple about my faulty phone and they gave me a case number. They said i have to send it via AusPost as only Apple Store can do the replacement over the counter or straight away. I asked them if I bring it back to Allphones where I got the phone will they replace it on the spot? They said no, Allphones will still need to send the iPhone to Apple. I rang Optus, and asked them what to do with a faulty iPhone, they said bring it back to the store I bought it. I rang Allphones and they said they still need to send the iPhone to Apple as they can't just exchange the phone straight away. So i guess i have no choice but to send it directly to Apple in Sydney.I'm here in Hobart and I can't live without my iPhone for more than 2 to 3 weeks. :-) Or should i just live with my faulty iPhone and just wait until i go to sydney to have it replaced there on the spot.

landog
18th September 2008, 05:30 PM
ParanoidAndroid / mcargy08 ring apple store in sydney, press options for iphone help, tell them your battery is stuffed, give them a serial number and 39 $ and they will post you a new one, along with a satchel to send back the old one.

you wont be without an operational iphone for a second (other than swapping the SIM)

The information above is what I received from apple after i submitted the replacement request (with personal information removed)

this is the thread i started on replacement - http://forums.mactalk.com.au/47/58221-apple-iphone-replacement-process.html

Rgds

mcargy08
18th September 2008, 06:24 PM
thanks landog. Nice advise. I'll do thy tomorrow. My battery is stuffed as well. I finished charging at around 11am and at 5pm it's only 10%.

landog
18th September 2008, 06:51 PM
no probs,

just got this email

We have shipped the replacement IPHONE 3G you requested. It shipped on 02.10.2008 via Australia Post with tracking number xxxxxxxxx, which should be active within 24 hours. Please allow two business days for delivery.

Shipping address:

The replacement product will come with instructions for returning the original to Apple. To avoid being charged a non-return fee, you must return the original to Apple by 02.10.2008.

Visit Repair Status to view the current details of your service request.

mcargy08
18th September 2008, 08:43 PM
no probs,

just got this email

We have shipped the replacement IPHONE 3G you requested. It shipped on 02.10.2008 via Australia Post with tracking number xxxxxxxxx, which should be active within 24 hours. Please allow two business days for delivery.

Shipping address:

The replacement product will come with instructions for returning the original to Apple. To avoid being charged a non-return fee, you must return the original to Apple by 02.10.2008.

Visit Repair Status to view the current details of your service request.

cool, i'll call them tomorrow. So its the Sydney Store that i have to call right? thanks!

mcargy08
19th September 2008, 10:30 AM
i just rang Apple and asked for a replacement option.

mcargy08
19th September 2008, 10:11 PM
landog,how long did it take from the day you rang to receive the email saying the iPhone has ben ship out to you? And by the way, is the iPhone locked to any carrier?

landog
19th September 2008, 10:25 PM
just received it today, i think i rang them on the 17th. so not bad

mcargy08
20th September 2008, 10:48 AM
received the phone already? Cool. Is it unlocked?

landog
22nd September 2008, 07:39 AM
yep, well no i needed to plug it into itunes but then it said, unlocked, oh and the battery life is just the same - SHIT. So my guess is 2.1 has severley screwed battery life for people running a certain configuration.

mcargy08
22nd September 2008, 08:18 AM
oh ok. Well yesterday I fully charged my iPhone before going to the casino. I never used my phone but once to send 1 SMS. And when I get home after 6 hours without using it i'm on the 10% mark! Darn.

poppet
22nd September 2008, 09:55 AM
I'm a bit ticked off now. Since upgraded safari keeps crashing. I also have a problem where the phone won't reconnect to wifi network. I have to turn airplane mode on just to trick it to look for the network when I go back to phone mode. Causes problems with mail and internet apps

DazR6
22nd September 2008, 04:33 PM
I was using VNC yesterday and it locked up and it took 20 mins before I could use the phone again. I shut down and restarted 4 times!

poppet
22nd September 2008, 11:50 PM
I'm a bit ticked off now. Since upgraded safari keeps crashing. I also have a problem where the phone won't reconnect to wifi network. I have to turn airplane mode on just to trick it to look for the network when I go back to phone mode. Causes problems with mail and internet apps

Hubby is now having the same problem with the internet on his iPhone so it must be the updated firmware.

mcargy08
23rd September 2008, 09:46 AM
my safari crashed last night 5 times in less than 10 mins.

ParanoidAndroid
23rd September 2008, 09:59 AM
I've not had a chance to organise a replacement yet, and my iPhone has developed some new problems.

When i click the SMS icon there is at least a 10 second delay before it loads, and sometimes up to 30 seconds
Sometimes the keyboard doesn't load in the SMS screen at all. No matter where I press it doesn't load

landog
23rd September 2008, 11:25 AM
im telling you guys its 2.1 & your backup prior to upgrading.

ParanoidAndroid
23rd September 2008, 12:19 PM
im telling you guys its 2.1 & your backup prior to upgrading.

I haven't restored from a backup, I've started fresh each time to (try to!) avoid any issues.

ParanoidAndroid
23rd September 2008, 04:15 PM
I called Apple customer relations 10 minutes ago and got put through to someone (in Australia) who offered to waive the $39 fee for the 'advance replacement service (ARS)' and send out a replacement immediately.

I didn't need to ask for the ARS (or anything), didn't mention replacement, or need to try to convince him at all.

Obviously they have some leeway there so see what you can do :)

David Turnedge
25th September 2008, 01:45 PM
so 2.1 has taken me to five 3G bars in places where i previously only had one 3G bar , however:

- i still get that pesky alien calling me.
- dropped calls / call failures
- even with five 3G bars its says unable to get cellular data

do i blame all this on optus?

Blame it on Apple telling fibs about its 3G reception - bars aren't literally representative of power... it's all relative - but the underlying call drop out feature appears to continue to be a feature...

mcargy08
25th September 2008, 05:04 PM
i received the replacement phone today. Hopefully this will be alright now. And by the way, it says on the letter that you might receive a new or refurbish iPhone. I wonder if mine is new or refurbish, although it looked like new. :-)

chaosboi
25th September 2008, 05:53 PM
on 2.1 and safari is always crashing :-(