PDA

View Full Version : Folder/File Management help

Luvlimum
15th September 2008, 11:49 PM
I create some documents/files/images etc. using some of my old trusted programs in PC (via parallel). My PC files are all saved into appropriately named folders within "My Documents" on the C drive.

When I want to attach a file created in PC into Mail, I click on attach, go into finder, into my C drive (PC), then into Documents and Settings, then into users, then Tanya, then My documents, then the appropriately named folder, to find the attachment I am looking for.

This is a long winded, draining way to do things. How can I set up my folders which pertain to an appropriate subject in a central location where I can access these files via Mac applications AND PC run programs?

How are your files set up?

Thanks in advance.

Tanya

grfxninja
16th September 2008, 12:41 AM
you could possibly setup an alias to the "My Documents" Folder on you desktop by navigating to it and hit Command+L.
Then drag that to the desktop.

(I haven't tested this as I don't currently run any virtual machines, but it should work in theory)

Luvlimum
16th September 2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks for your advice grfxninja, but since you admit you have not tried this yourself, and as you so disrespectfully liken me and other fabulous and intelligent women to a "dot matrix printer", and since I imagine you are most likely less than half my age which makes your quip even more distateful, I might just wait for a grown up to provide their advice.

T

stewiesno1
16th September 2008, 11:47 AM
Hahahahahaha. Good reply.
I don't use parallels or any version of windows , but when I want to send an email to a friend with attachments , I go looking for the stuff I want to send first and drag a copy to the desktop. Then i fire up Mail , compose the email and then just attach the other bits from the desktop. When the email has been sent, I just drag these copies to the trash.

Stewie

rpjallan
16th September 2008, 11:52 AM
Can't you just share your Users folder (Documents, Movies, Pictures etc) with Windoze via parallels? I know you can do this with VMware Fusion. There shouldn't be any need to store any files on Parallels. I guess you would access something like this is Parallels Preferences...

Luvlimum
16th September 2008, 11:58 AM
Hi, and thanks for this rpjallan, I have had a look, but it appears that I cannot see any Macintosh HD files from inside parallel, but that could just mean that in my inexperience I am not sure where to look?

Stewiesno1 - I will have a practice with your advice when I get home to the baby and play. Right now I am stuck at work on WINDOZE (aptly named). LOL

T

rpjallan
16th September 2008, 01:34 PM
I don't use Windoze at all but a friend of mine runs XP under VMware so I can't really help with Parallels although I would say it has a similar setting. He is running the beta 2 and under Settings menu there is a Sharing tab. Under the Sharing tab there is the option to share any folder on your Mac (he just shares his whole home folder) or even mirror folders between the Mac and the virtual machine. See if you can find something like that in Parallels...

hillsdweller
16th September 2008, 04:27 PM
Maybe try Parallels forums (http://forums.parallels.com/), their site looks reasonably active.

Scooterpig
16th September 2008, 05:44 PM
I agree the Sharing is an option but what about when you make the files to also add a copy into the Mac Documents folder? I know a bit of a pain doubling up, but it may help.

Luvlimum
16th September 2008, 08:38 PM
I have managed to create a folder that shares nicely between both Systems (yay, small steps). Now for you "Office gurus" out there. I am trying to save a document I created in Word for Mac, but when I click on "save as" it will only give me the option of ONE folder (the one I created to share), but I need to save this document into a sub folder of this folder, but I can't seem to do this? ie; I cannot browse through my folders to choose another place to save it? Is there a way around this?

Cheers
T

Luvlimum
16th September 2008, 10:31 PM
So far I have managed to get the file sharing issues sorted with a shortcut on my XP desktop, and a setting up Finder to automatically open to the same folder - yay.

I have also managed to do some of my paid work without a hitch in parallel XP. But for some reason it behaves much better when in full screen mode rather than a window over the Mac desktop (???).

I have decided that I REALLY and truly HATE this mouse, and therefore I must get something like my old cheapie mouse that literally flew where I needed it to go. clicked nice and sharply and doesn't have the pressure buttons on the sides. They are great but seriously I accidently have a squeeze and my screen does stuff, that whilst being bewt, I don't need bewt right now.

I still haven't worked out how to save a Mac Word doc into sub folders, but it is not a priority. Now I have to start drumming up more business.

You were right, I am finding my way through the scary bits and seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, albeit really, really tiny, It does appear to be there! LOL

T :thumbup:

ClockWork
17th September 2008, 11:08 AM
I have managed to create a folder that shares nicely between both Systems (yay, small steps). Now for you "Office gurus" out there. I am trying to save a document I created in Word for Mac, but when I click on "save as" it will only give me the option of ONE folder (the one I created to share), but I need to save this document into a sub folder of this folder, but I can't seem to do this? ie; I cannot browse through my folders to choose another place to save it? Is there a way around this?

Cheers
T

If I'm not mistaken to your query on Saving documents to a sub folder, or folders within folders within folders, this is easily achieved in any Application, yet to show you what I'm thinking you might be doing, when you Save As or Save in MS Word, you might be seeing a Save As dialogue like this:

http://www.clockworkoren.com.au/SaveAs01.jpg

and naturally, your choices as to where to Save it are limited, yet if you click once on the little blue toggling arrow next to the name of the document, as shown above with a red circle around it... you'll get far more options as to where you can save it:

http://www.clockworkoren.com.au/SaveAs02.jpg

This toggling arrow is a universal feature in Mac OS X and applies to Saving any kind of document from any kind of Application.

As to the mouse thing, yep - I don't like the nipple job much either - it's too erratic and a bitch to clean - Try & Byte's Kensington Ci20 Optical Mouse (http://www.tryandbyte.com.au/cgi-bin/page.pl?page=1908&title=Kensington%20Ci20%20Optical%20Mouse) will do the job splendidly.

http://www.tryandbyte.com.au/images/1173870813_K72257US-15033.jpg

cheers,

cw

Luvlimum
17th September 2008, 12:07 PM
You're just a marvel CW!! I think my baby is starting to gurgle a little and mummy is smiling again, tentatively, but smiling all the same.

Love ya work!
T

ClockWork
17th September 2008, 12:20 PM
Just don't pick it up too often, lean it over your shoulder and pat its back...