PDA

View Full Version : Optus 3G Inside your House

beneboi
15th September 2008, 10:54 PM
Hi all

I wasn't going to post this but have decided to to see if it is just me or everyone else as well. Firstly i have to say i don't have any complaints about the iphone or the service from optus i think its fantastic! this is the first phone where i can actually hear the person on the other end as clear as day!

However i am in the inner west and have no problems with 3g coverage and most of the time when i am indoors (excluding concrete boxes and lifts). But for some reason as soon as i walk into my house i tend to lose 3G then as soon as i walk outside back it comes. I cant work it out, is anyone else having this happen? Is something interfering with the reception? and if so what is it? I must also say sometimes late at night or occasionally during the day it will get a very weak 3G signal then as soon as i start using the phone say for internet or the app store it will go to gprs.

I am open to suggestions or ideas as to what could be causing this...

morgan
15th September 2008, 10:58 PM
Do you live inside a Faraday cage?

mechcon
15th September 2008, 11:00 PM
I'm in the same boat, there's patches in our house where our coverage is horrible (be it GSM or 3G).. and we're living in an area where according to the Optus map is full coverage on both...

hillsdweller
15th September 2008, 11:01 PM
I'm not an expert on this subject but I have read elsewhere that the 850/900 MHz 3G has better penetration of buildings than the older 2100 MHz version used by Optus and Vodafone.

Comet
15th September 2008, 11:12 PM
I used to never get any coverage whilst in the city loop, but now that I moved onto the NextG, I have full reception inside the city loop as well as lifts at the office. Not sure if it's the NextG, but it could be the 850 Mhz frequency. Maybe you have something inside emitting something at 2100 Mhz? Is GSM ok?

WhiteiPhone
15th September 2008, 11:19 PM
my optus sucks in my house and outside it.
i get gsm in my house and no signal outside.

i also have full 3g map from optus.

Ecto1
15th September 2008, 11:35 PM
When i am at home I dont use 3g, as i have my iphone connected to my wireless network. However I do know i have patchy 3g at my house.

iTelefono
15th September 2008, 11:48 PM
With Optus 3G inside the house it's crap, outside the house the crapy network improves and it's just OK.

Since the 2.1 update it has improved a little, now its closer to retro dial-up speeds :)

The Fluffy Duck
15th September 2008, 11:52 PM
Its shit in my house I only have gprs :( but I have wireless so im not botherd. Only when I go to my girlfriends house that I notice it

beneboi
16th September 2008, 03:54 PM
So it seems i am not the only one with this bizarre problem!

I also have full 3G coverage when you look at the optus coverage maps.

So does anyone know what the 3G signal doesn't seem to like about being inside? Also has anyone else seemed to notice that if you are awake around 12-1 am coverage is better than other times during the day? Funnily enough i also seem to get 3G indoors at this time too...

mechcon
16th September 2008, 03:58 PM
well I'm going to take the risk and get myself one of these --> I-TENA (http://i-tena.com/) If it doesn't work, then it doesn't work.

mcargy08
16th September 2008, 05:38 PM
Optus 3G inside the house is a bit patchy for me. outisde, no problem.

bkea
17th September 2008, 08:10 PM
I get 1 bar of GPRS at my house lol

battye
17th September 2008, 08:30 PM
I have perfect GPRS coverage and 4-5 bars of 3G (2-3 bars prior to 2.1)... overall though, it works fine inside the house.

beneboi
17th September 2008, 08:35 PM
out of interest have any of you ever tried to hook up unwired internet at your house? what was the reception like?

kogi
20th September 2008, 02:36 PM
I have the same problem. Full bars outside. One or two inside. It's probably because of the insulation layer used on the inner walls. It cuts my wifi signal to crap as well.

Piratbyran
20th September 2008, 02:57 PM

Best. Quote. Ever.

the_doctor
20th September 2008, 03:07 PM
Prior to the 2.1 update I would get 5 bars of 3G outside the house and 1 bar inside the house. Now I get 4-5 bars of 3G inside the house.

Exocet
20th September 2008, 03:43 PM

Funny you should say that, when I worked for Telstra Mobile there was a gentleman who had bought an old Tennis Centre and hadn't taken down the fences yet, and complained that he never got any coverage inside his shed (which was inside the 10m high fences).

In a similar vein though, do you live in a steel-framed house?

IIe2PB
20th September 2008, 06:25 PM
Mine constantly swaps from 3g to GSM and back. Supposedly full 3g coverage. It also does this in my office in the CBD.

beneboi
21st September 2008, 04:07 PM
In a similar vein though, do you live in a steel-framed house?

No but it is double bricked... however i still cant see how this could make such a rapid change...