PDA

View Full Version : What is the "other" on my iphone

denwol
15th September 2008, 10:00 PM
Hi,
I have a 1st gen 16gb iphone and when syncing, it shows over 3gb of other.
Can soneone tell me what that is?
Thanks.

http://tinyurl.com/56m5vs

Scooterpig
15th September 2008, 10:01 PM
Video?

dinoo
15th September 2008, 10:03 PM
Corrupted music - happened to my sister last night. Restore will fix it.

Smokebelch
15th September 2008, 10:06 PM
Not Video. When you have videos on the phone it shows them in purple. Must be email, bookmarks and ical files

Reubania
15th September 2008, 10:09 PM
Wow, that's a lot of "Other". I think mine is around 1GB. I've always thought it was something to do with the actual firmware updates, software of running the iPhone and yes, the "other" including Bookmarks, cache (for Safari perhaps?) amongst "other" things...

denwol
15th September 2008, 10:13 PM
surely bookmarks, email and ical would not add up to 3gb.
I delete all mail after reading (it goes to my laptop for storage).
Ill try the restore thing and see.
Thanks

reemixx
15th September 2008, 10:19 PM
Curious, when you have apps like DataCase, Files, Air Sharing, etc, do the files that you store in your iPhone get included in 'Apps' or 'Other' ?

Smokebelch
15th September 2008, 10:32 PM
Curious, when you have apps like DataCase, Files, Air Sharing, etc, do the files that you store in your iPhone get included in 'Apps' or 'Other' ?

I just dragged a 35Mb file to my phone via Air Sharing and "Other" increased by 35Mb

Smokebelch
15th September 2008, 10:39 PM
I downloaded the app "Relax"... I think it might be a waste of $4.99 but I'm still in that honeymoon phase with the phone and tend to download any old bollocks.

It was about a 300Mb file and last night when I downloaded it the Apps bit showed 300Mb (approx). Now its back down to 7.6Mb. That 300Mb is mainly made up of the HD video thats used in the app. So I assume the video eventually moves into that Other section while the program stays in Apps.

reemixx
15th September 2008, 10:41 PM
I just dragged a 35Mb file to my phone via Air Sharing and "Other" increased by 35Mb

I guess we've found another contender for the mysterious 'Other' category, then. Cheers for that.

Dutch H
16th September 2008, 07:38 PM
Is it the iphone os?

Piratbyran
16th September 2008, 07:40 PM
Other includes jailbreaking stuff too remember, such as 'backup' apps.

rowan_fell
18th September 2008, 04:33 PM
definitely corrupted music. I had 14.6gb of other which just so happened to correpond to the amount of music i had on there at the time. hope that helps. :)

denwol
18th September 2008, 04:42 PM
Is it the iphone os?

yes, this is part of other but only about 200-300mb

I ended up starting from scratch and resync and everything is all fine again.

lethal
30th November 2008, 04:19 PM
I have 1.96gb in other, and i need to keep erasing pics and music clips to add movies. Is

there any way to reduce it in size? (Its a 1st gen 8gb)

Also when i untick my pics or music clips and i re sync itunes my pics and clips are still in

my iphone but unticked in itunes. (I have to untick sync movies or pictures to erase iphone then tick what i want to make it fit and its frustating).

Just synced now and i have zero KB free

Is there any way to get the quality better in audio and video as it is sometimes low and distorted through the loud speaker, (same songs and video in my N95 8gb is unreal and loud - just the screen is small)

cheers

ZacDavies
1st December 2008, 02:07 AM
my "other" represents /mainly/ the files in my Air Sharing app