PDA

View Full Version : I'm Happy with my OPTUS iPhone

Reubania
15th September 2008, 08:37 PM
I am really annoyed that the minority of dissatisfied OPTUS customers have been vocal in these forums.

*Disclaimer* - I do NOT work for OPTUS.

I know that they are not perfect - far from it, but I am astounded by the volume of "hate" for Australia's second largest telco service.

But I can say that I've had NO problems with OPTUS. From the moment I lined up outside an OPTUS World store, till receiving my first bill, till now.

OPTUS was pretty transparent with their iPhone-specific plans (unlike Telstra's vague $30 plan, and let alone, Vodafone's non-existant plans till only a few hours before the launch). OPTUS actually set up an iPhone Call Centre - so you wouldn't need to go through all the hoops and "buck-passing" most generic telco call centre might try.

In my opinion - I've had absolutely no problems with OPTUS. I haven't had poor reception. I haven't had massive $20,000 bills. And I think their plans are one of the most fairest - and is perfect for my type of usage.

So those who are happy with their OPTUS iPhone, please post your comments on here so those contemplating which telco service they should go with can read opinions OTHER than "OPTUS SUCKS" etc.

Btw - I am on the $59 'yes' Cap 24 month Plan
= $350 calls/text
= 500MB of data

+ $2 handset repayments
+ $8 insurance

mechcon
15th September 2008, 08:40 PM
I'm pretty happy with Optus as well, my only beef with them is the shit coverage I'm getting around the house (where I didn't have it so badly with Three/Telstra.. but surprise surprise)... Except that the map does state that I should be getting full 3G coverage here..

Reubania
15th September 2008, 08:50 PM
Well, my old NEC with OPTUS had SHIT reception at my place. People would call, and they could never hear me...and all I usually get is static or muffled conversation. But ever since getting the iPhone on the same carrier, I've had NO problems with reception at my place now.

The same applies to one of my work places. Hardly any reception in the tea room, but full reception now with the iPhone.

mcargy08
15th September 2008, 09:05 PM
I'm happy with either Optus or virgin. Same network. But I'm happier in virgin.

andru
15th September 2008, 09:13 PM
No problems with Optus here.

Meh 626
15th September 2008, 09:14 PM
I am very happy with Optus and my iPhone. Even though the reception has been a bit doggy originally I haven't had a major issue. Since 2.1 came out I've had full 3G coverage 97% of the time, even though this is a update from Apple it makes me assured that their network is good. Before 2.1 I would have 3 3G bars - GPRS and if lucky in the city, full 3G.

Optus has plenty of room to improve, but I am happy at the moment.

Phase
15th September 2008, 09:15 PM
. But I'm happier in virgin.

I must just be way too immature for this forum.

wmyeoh
Just to let you know the "iPhone Call Centre" redirects back to the generic Optus helpline. It's just a different number. Smoke and mirrors...

silverdreamer
I am really annoyed that the minority of dissatisfied OPTUS customers have been vocal in these forums.

*Disclaimer* - I do not work for OPTUS.

That's funny,:p ... it's okay to hate Telstra, so why not hate Optus too? Fairs fair!

Ecto1
15th September 2008, 09:19 PM
I am happy with Optus. Only had one or two call drop outs. And when i rang them after my first bill came in there explaind it all with out passing me around the place.

Reubania
15th September 2008, 09:19 PM
Boo! It's not fair!!! Telstra is the Microsoft of all Australian corporations! :D

Nah, of course it's only fair...you can hate whoever you like....but reading these forums, it gets sooo biased...I like to put a balance stance for those who are genuinely trying to research the best deals and read the opinions on here. So we've had many OPTUS hate threads. Now, here's one positive one. Hopefully there will be balance.

WindowsVista
15th September 2008, 09:23 PM
I have had a good run with Optus. Internet usage meter is working fine for me, there support has been awesome(had to turn off voicemail, they sorted it out well, and it was an American who picked up!) and all has been well. I know Telstra's reception is better, but since 2.1 im getting 3G in 98% of areas where I need it. You get what you pay for!

Weirdest thing is I got a call today from someone in the Sydney Apple store (I did NOT buy my iPhone from the Apple store) saying I reported my iPhone as faulty. The bloke who rang was hilarous. I picked up and he went on about all the Apple store jargon "on this street etc" and went half way through it and just said "and all that crap u know". Haha! I just said the phone was fine, and im on it now!

kevinnugent
15th September 2008, 09:31 PM
I've enjoyed my Optus experience. In my opinion, they are the best carrier we have available.

bok
15th September 2008, 09:41 PM
Just remember:

You only hear people when things are broken.

And given that the vast majority of people are with Optus, its only natural that the vast majority of complaints would also be about Optus.

Personally, I've not had too many problems with Optus, no plans to call them and bitch anyway.

bok

reemixx
15th September 2008, 10:39 PM
You only hear people when things are broken.

Exactly. Most people won't speak out about a GOOD experience they've had, which is a real shame. So threads like this aren't all too common.

I'm relatively happy with Optus on the whole. It was just the initial stuff that sucked. They didn't send my bill, I had to call them a number of times to sort that stuff out, and even then they didn't get it right.

But now finally stuff is sorted. Haven't had any problems with reception. Don't get 3G at my house but I knew that already. Everywhere else is fine, pretty much. It would be nice if they had a proper internet usage bar and useful information rather than just raw data, but I also knew about that before signing the contract so can't really complain.

They're a decent company, just suffer from what many large companies suffer from: less than optimal customer service and communication and organisation issues.

wholikespotatoes
15th September 2008, 10:54 PM
I am happy with Optus.
After charging me $160 more than they should I rang the TIO and got a refund + $40 free credit!
Go Optus!

hoony
19th September 2008, 11:03 AM
+1 to Optus!

I must admit I'm a little over all the complaint threads (not just optus) put your energy into solving your problems instead of just complaining kiddies!

bok
19th September 2008, 11:12 AM
put your energy into solving your problems instead of just complaining kiddies!

This is the internet, that'll never happen :)

gikku
19th September 2008, 11:16 AM
Happy with my Optus purchased iPhone now it has 3 sim in it. :)

peterz
19th September 2008, 11:18 AM
You only generally hear about the bad experiences people have :)

I've been very happy with Optus, the iPhone itself has brought about a whole new dimension to how I go about my day. Yes, the coverage isn't fantastic....it is, however, very good. Optus doesn't have 100% coverage, so I expect some areas to not be 3G. Even still, Edge is good enough, you just have to wait a little longer.
When you think about it, you generally have lightning fast Internet to your MOBILE PHONE, pretty much on demand. That just isn't enough for some people...

Too many people are quick to jump the gun and get all shitty about various telco's. I try to reserve my opinions for when I'm actually with a particular company and have experience to share. Had Telstra's plans been aligned a little more with my needs, I would have gone with Telstra. The Optus plans were very well aligned with what I needed - I am where I am today because of that!

Keep up the good work Optus.

nando
19th September 2008, 11:30 AM
am happy too havent really used their service as such......but could be hips happier if they fix their network issues and provided a fast 3G service..remember optus is the slowest 3g network in the world!...

also...i could be happier if their MMS page worked on the iPhone....
if their website became more user friendly...
if they stop using the automated answering robot to speak out what u want..
if they made the attempt to provide a notice when their outages occur..
hmmm...
theres a big room to make me happy....but over all am happy...**Just**

shihyuan
19th September 2008, 11:33 AM
+1 So far I am very happy with Optus iPhone except the occasional slow 3G speed other than that I am quite happy with the service (oh except Optus customer service sometimes...... the waiting time.....)

Reubania
19th September 2008, 05:51 PM
I haven't had to wait long for their customer service line...you realise that iPhone customer have their own dedicated OPTUS iPhone Service line? You can ask all things iPhone on that line, rather than wait in the queue with a hundred other non-iPhone OPTUS customer service line.

3dward_Shaddow
19th September 2008, 10:19 PM
I bought my iPhone outright from JBs, unlocked it from Telstra and popped in an Optus prepaid SIM. Apart from the fun I had waiting for the unlock/activation of my SIM, I am perfectly happy with my iPhone. Oh and the free month of data has come in very handy :)

The Fluffy Duck
3rd October 2008, 11:05 AM
That makes one of you :(

silverdreamer
3rd October 2008, 11:13 AM
When even the developers have to make allowances for the poor performance of the Optus network, You know it's time to leave.

I Assume you all noticed this little gem in the BOM radar update.

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5247/photomf0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Appleaday
3rd October 2008, 02:50 PM
Have had no problems with Optus. In past have been with Telstra & Vodaphone. Wouldn't touch Telstra if they were the only telco on the planet - to say they are hopeless in all ways would be an understatement. As for Vodaphone - just didn't have the covereage [at the time], turned out to be more expensive than others and had extremely poor customer service.

With Optus, rang about the iPhone on the Wednesday before it came out, told me they would ring me on the Friday [day of release] - they did - ordered my phone which arrived by courier the next Thursday as promised.

Have had no real signal problems even prior to 2.1. Optus rang me last week to suggest I switch to a business plan which was the same cost with better options which I did. I rang Optus iPhone Support on 133713 with an email problem the other day which was fixed within minutes.

No complaints - happy

TheWatchman
3rd October 2008, 04:54 PM
When even the developers have to make allowances for the poor performance of the Optus network, You know it's time to leave.

I Assume you all noticed this little gem in the BOM radar update.

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5247/photomf0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I saw that too, too bad I've never had a timeout before on BOM radar and I use it frequently some days and not often on others. E.g. today I'm constantly looking hoping some rain comes and the 30 odd degree temperatures will subside.

IIe2PB
3rd October 2008, 09:23 PM
Optus are so bad that I decided to disconnect under their Coverage Guarantee. They promised to call me in 3-5 business days. That was 15 business days ago. I've rung them 4 times asking what is happening and it's impossible to be connected to the right department. They only call you, supposedly.

Anyway, I raised a complaint with the TIO last night so we'll see if that will make them call us. I'll do anything to get back to Telstra... I just want a phone people can call me on.... I want it to work like the one in the ads.

Reubania
3rd October 2008, 09:27 PM
Please keep your comments relevant to this thread. If you're not happy with OPTUS, then don't post in a thread that says "I'm HAPPY with my OPTUS iPhone".

We've have many negative OPTUS threads, feel free to post your negative thoughts on there. Thanks.

iCantwait
3rd October 2008, 09:40 PM
i have the same plan as the OP minus insurance, Better then Voda of which my 1st gen was on:thumbdn:

jrad
3rd October 2008, 10:05 PM
Well, I thought MTAU had enough of Optus bashing so I didn't say anything but I'm really annoyed with the service that I'm getting with Optus... data hardly ever works!

gifted
6th October 2008, 08:54 AM
I have only been with Optus for a month, but so far so good. Only a few minor issues, all solved with update.

silverdreamer
6th October 2008, 09:05 AM
Please keep your comments relevant to this thread. If you're not happy with OPTUS, then don't post in a thread that says "I'm HAPPY with my OPTUS iPhone".

We've have many negative OPTUS threads, feel free to post your negative thoughts on there. Thanks.

Don't get your knickers in twist.

Jassycin
6th October 2008, 09:18 AM
I have three iPhones on my new Optus bill... and I am very happy.
Three iPhones with Optus is costing me roughly the same per month as my last one Motorola phone with Telstra. I begged Telstra to come up with other plan options to reduce costs prior to changing, and they were not at all helpful. (I have two of my teens who are paying their share of the bill btw).
No call problems, not even close to reaching call allowance or data limits on any of the phones, I am extremely happy with my choice, and would never change back.

Joltman
6th October 2008, 10:12 AM
In general I'm happy with my iPhone on Virgin ( Optus ). Only gripe would be iffy 3G reception in Wollongong. Wish the iPhone didn't hang on to 3G so tenaciously and switch to GPRS when the signal quality gets below 2 bars.

mr nenzo
6th October 2008, 10:51 AM
I'm pretty pleased with optus. The only problem I really have is the 3G coverage in some areas.. And even at home sometimes.. but apart from that I can watch my YouTube on the bus home from work in peace :)

jrad
7th October 2008, 10:46 PM
Is anyone else getting crazy bills? I'm on a $59 + $7 (16gig iPhone over 24 months) which should be $66, but I'm getting charged $112 and $72 for my last few bills... I don't get it?

DarkSpark
7th October 2008, 11:00 PM
Is anyone else getting crazy bills? I'm on a $59 + $7 (16gig iPhone over 24 months) which should be $66, but I'm getting charged $112 and $72 for my last few bills... I don't get it?

you do realize that youdontget unlimited calls etc, and overusing may result in a higher bill...

mkyr
10th October 2008, 12:39 AM
Optus has been fine for me. :)

adam89
10th October 2008, 02:21 AM
Hmmmm let me see,

50% of calls drop out.
Constantly get this garbled sound when I try to make calls sometimes.
Data is guaranteed to cut out when I use it.
SMSs fail sending.
Signal drops out completely every now and then.

Couldn't be happier to be honest!

:( I want my BlackBerry with Telstra back :(

It was SO reliable....

Oh well, guess i'm paying 7x less with Optus thanks to the Timeless plans :) no more $700+ bills.

Will be switching to a BlackBerry Bold soon. Completely over the bullshit this iPhone has, the phone seems REALLY rushed to me. It's not really a problem with the Optus network, it's more the iPhone. Everyone else I know on Optus that doesn't have an iPhone doesn't have these problems.

dotnet
10th October 2008, 03:13 AM
I'm having no troubles with Optus either, none whatsoever. Of course I'm using a fail-safe trouble-avoidance strategy... ;)

Cheers
Steffen.

Geoff3DMN
10th October 2008, 06:08 AM
We have 2 iphones with Optus, 1 for me and 1 for her.

Neither have given us any signifcant issues although the broadband speed isn't exactly stellar at times when accessing via the iPhone.

basseyy
10th October 2008, 06:29 AM
Im with Optus as well, and found their customer service to be excellent really, especially when my first 3g bill arrived and it was $165, I knew it had to be wrong because my cap is $59. I gave them a call, they went off an investigated and came back to tell me they had made an error, and all I had to pay was $67 (handset insurance included). I'm sorry people are having problems, but where I live (inner city Melbourne) the speeds are fine etc.

DarkSpark
11th October 2008, 11:44 AM
I'm having no troubles with Optus either, none whatsoever. Of course I'm using a fail-safe trouble-avoidance strategy... ;)

Cheers
Steffen.

Which is??? (I have a fair idea.)

Holden Caulfield
17th October 2008, 11:11 AM
Have had my iPhone with Optus since mid July, nothing negative to report, other than their website is a bit cabbage.

I've had no call drop outs or major network issues either.

ialienam
19th October 2008, 08:27 AM
Ya, I am realli happy with my iphone.. In terms of the call quality, I have had bad feedback from some friends, but they all happen to be Vodafone users...Not too sure if it has to do with other network or what..

bkea
19th October 2008, 07:34 PM
After today I am happy! I live in Hervey Bay, Southern QLD and today I looked at my iPhone and I have 3G now :D

strange
20th October 2008, 04:58 PM
I was happy with my Optus iPhone.

Until a 'nice' lady swiped my wife's handbag on Saturday night... Thankful for handset insurance...

jrad
20th October 2008, 05:07 PM
you do realize that youdontget unlimited calls etc, and overusing may result in a higher bill...

Of course, but I haven't yet gone over the usage limit/cap... My last bill was screwed up again... time to give them a call... :(

WindowsVista
24th October 2008, 04:00 PM
Gotta love Optus. Rang up and gave them my details for the unlock, they said they'd sms me when there done. After 10 days, nothing, so I rang again to find out if it had been unlocked. Sure enough it had been, so thanks for the sms optus. That was my second optus call for the day, the other one was for them charging me $5 to much on my bill.
hmmmmmmmm.

bawpcwpn
24th October 2008, 05:55 PM
I haven't had any issues with Optus. 3G reception has been good except in my house right next to my computer when it is docked. I haven't really had any issues with the speed of 3G. I'm happy with my Optus iPhone!

chuck981996
24th October 2008, 08:22 PM
And I think their plans are one of the most fairest

I think it should be "And I think their plans are some of the fairest.

Sorry I just had to point that out.:p

Anyhow I totally agree with you because I think Optus are sort of fair as well; but I have one question: How do you not use up your 500mb of data? :D

Reubania
24th October 2008, 09:57 PM
I only go on the odd website during the day, check emails...Facebook a lot...and that's about it. I've used youTube a few times, but feels it zaps up the battery immensely...so after all that, I tend to use 50-80MB of my 500MB limit. A bit of a waste really...but the $350 worth of calls/text is very handy...esp when this is my one and only phone/mobile.

kevinnugent
24th October 2008, 09:59 PM
I like my Optus iPhone experience so much I got my lovely wife one. She's now loving it too! :)

mr nenzo
27th October 2008, 12:23 AM
$550 of calls how many hours does that add up too :/ that's alot of chat time.