Hey,

So my first Optus bill came in at $135.53 for:
$59 cap
$7 handset
$11 insurance

we pay the month in advance dont we? hence the large bill

and only a summary of data.

Total 4 pages.

My Second bill however comes in at $74.13, strange as i thought i had already paid the Service Charges off in the first bill.

Aside from being a completely different layout, the data is itemised. For 1273 units of data. Which brings us to a grand total of 12 double sided pages for 195mb of data!

I never did anything to get my bill changed in any way, why would it have changed?
Has this happened to anyone else?

Im about to call optus, but as we all know telco CSR's arent fun.

EDIT: I have been switched over the the 14digit account thingo so i can get online billing, however im stil concerned about the fact i paid the first month in advance...

dev_enter
15th September 2008, 03:54 PM
The payment in advance just means you don't pay that amount for the very last month of your contract.

ojk007
15th September 2008, 03:58 PM
The payment in advance just means you don't pay that amount for the very last month of your contract.

ah was not told that. i was told it was for your second month.

Thanks

VALANDI
15th September 2008, 03:59 PM
i think most people paid a certain handset installment in in advance on their first bill?

ojk007
15th September 2008, 04:05 PM
just went over my first bill and it reads as follows

Service Charges
Monthly 'yes' iPhone $59 Cap Acce Prorated 11 Jul 08 to 7 Aug 08
Monthly 'yes' iPhone $59 Cap Acce Advance 8 Aug 08 to 7 Sep 08

dunno about you guys, but that seems to clearly state that in my first bill i paid for the month of Jul-Aug AND Aug-Sep.

Which would appear that i paid my first two months, as the guy told me when i signed up..

My second bill says im paying for 8 Sep to 7 Oct. but im post paid, why would i pay in advance..?

Mac Ram
15th September 2008, 04:09 PM
but im post paid, why would i pay in advance..?

Because they want your min payment before you start.

You will then pay for any excess after that month - hence post paid.

spilla
15th September 2008, 04:10 PM
My first bill was something like $89, and this month's was $4.65. (I'm on the $39 'yes' plan)

I also think they're forgetting to charge me the $12 monthly handset repayments. :)

ojk007
15th September 2008, 04:21 PM
Because they want your min payment before you start.

You will then pay for any excess after that month - hence post paid.

Alright fair enough, thanks everyone saved me a long and painful phonecall.

PatrickH
15th September 2008, 04:25 PM
I also think they're forgetting to charge me the $12 monthly handset repayments. :)

Let's hope so, also hope there aren't any Optus people on these forums. ;)

Optus has been a pain for everyone.

gaehl
15th September 2008, 04:30 PM
Optus has been a pain for everyone.

Other than getting my iPhone in the first place Optus have been fine for me.

ojk007
15th September 2008, 04:33 PM
Other than getting my iPhone in the first place Optus have been fine for me.

same here, its just the billing was not explained properly.

the service is fine

yinyang
16th September 2008, 09:44 PM
my second bill was completely borked....!

$839.14 :eek:

looks like i'm going to be on the phone to customer service for quite a while tomorrow

sigh!

Reubania
16th September 2008, 09:46 PM
How do you guys get such bills?

I've had no problems with OPTUS bills....my second bill was $69.14. Just as I'd expected.

($59 plan + $2 handset repayments and $8.14 on insurance = $69.14)

OPTUS has not been a pain...I think they haven't clearly stated their billing system- but then again, which telco (or bank!) have been so transparent with their billing system?

IF people actually read the fine print and TOC properly, they wouldn't be so "shocked" with their bills - or go over their limit - to which ANY telco will hit them with a massive fee.

However, I do acknowledge that occasionally a telco will completely stuff up their customer's bill - but once it is alerted - they will carry on as future credit, and most often provide a form of compensation (ie. more credit).

SilverJ
16th September 2008, 09:46 PM
Hell..
Good luck with it!
Unless you really did spend that much :p

tange
16th September 2008, 09:48 PM
I was told the double payment on the first bill was to over Optus if you happen to skip out on your contract, not for the first 2 months payment.

kevinnugent
16th September 2008, 09:53 PM
My second bill arrived today. $97.13 = $89 + 8.13 insurance. Exactly how it should be. Thanks Optus.

yinyang
16th September 2008, 10:04 PM
How do you guys get such bills?

Just looking at the indecipherable bill... I don't know lol!!

Strathfield put me on the wrong plan when I got the iPhone, and it was supposed to have been all sorted out, but methinks not!!

I think it's a data related cost, but it's hard to tell with Optus bills :)

I think there should be branch of Pure Mathematics that looks at the logic behind an Optus phone bill!!

Reubania
16th September 2008, 10:08 PM
So it's not OPTUS' fault. They are charging you for what was processed by Strathfield. All you have to do is go into a OPTUS World store and demand someone explain to you the bill to you. And if they can't do that, then make them call up the Billing Call Centre and get someone to talk to you straight away.

I totally understand - it took me a while to understand their data billing system - but it kinda all works out...just read and re-read the billing pages and use a calculator....it does all add up. But I wish you the best of luck in sorting out your bill!

funwithstuff
17th September 2008, 11:20 PM
I too received a ridiculous bill with ~20 pages of itemised data charges, mostly for $0.00 and $0.01.

Worse, though, was that they don't fully understand GST. Last bill they'd charged for SMS when they shouldn't have (plus some other crap) and offered me $10 in compensation. Fine. So I confirm the amount I need to pay with the operator and pay it, over the phone with her directly.

The second bill arrives and she's actually given me $9.09 in compensation (manually removing GST!) and I've "underpaid" my last bill by $0.91. Then they added a $9.90 fine for me "not paying my bill". Stellar.

fickwalker
18th September 2008, 09:33 AM
My second bill arrived the other day. Grand total of $24. :)

I couldn't be happier.

Peter Wells
18th September 2008, 09:46 AM
whats the optus free call number from your mobile? i've changed carriers so many times i have about ten different 'customer support,', 'customer care' etc numbers in my address book.

jonnos
22nd September 2008, 01:50 AM
i just got my 2nd bill today. from what i understood i thought i was paying for next month in advance for my first bill and will go to normal after, so for my 2nd month im only paying lets say my handset repayment. but im reading on my bill im paying this months handset repayment + next months service fee of $29 coz im on a $29 plan.

macrich
22nd September 2008, 04:25 AM
My first bill was $1135, my second bill was $340. Both completely stuffed up.

nando
22nd September 2008, 08:39 AM
just got my third bill!..got to $101 :D

scritch
14th October 2008, 08:34 PM
My bill has just arrived for 7th Sept - 6th October, and they are trying to rip me off (most likely an accident, but still!).

Bill (ex GST) is:
Recurring charges: 91.82
Special Discounts*: 103.24
Mobile Call Charges (no premium or international calls): 104.26
SMS (40 records): 9.08
Premium SMS: 10.50 (I'm an Idol watcher - sorry!)
Data Charges: 54.14
Total: $166.56 +10% GST is $184.30

*Special Discounts consist of:
yes iPhone Included Value: 49.10
Unlimited MobileInternet Offer: 54.14

Now this is a 12 month $59 iPhone plan so how on earth does it reach $184.30 ?? Breakdown (ex GST):

Plan: 53.64
Phone: 38.18
Subtotal: $91.82

Calls: 104.26
SMS: 9.08
Premium SMS: 10.50
Subtotal: $123.84

Internet: 54.14
Subtotal: $54.14

$59 plan gives me $350 Calls & SMS & 500Mb data.

- I used $123.84 calls & SMS, minus 10.50 (as premium SMS is not included in cap) that equals $113.34
- I used 170Mb of data costing $54.14
- Phone & Plan cost $91.82

So total credit under plan should equal $167.48

Total bill cost (adding the $10.50 for Premium SMS back in) is $269.80. Minus the credit equals $102.32. Add 10% and you get $112.55

Why are they charging me $184.30 ?? Exactly the question Optus will need to answer when I call the idiots at 8am tomorrow morning.

Regards,
Shane.

tonyberinson
14th October 2008, 08:45 PM
are we going to have a thread for every bill someone is getting - enough already!!

scritch
14th October 2008, 10:07 PM
Umm, I didn't create a new thread... I posted in an existing one - one relevant to my specific post.

If you don't like reading it, pick another thread.

I was hoping that by detailing the mistake Optus have made on my bill it might direct others to check their own bill.

My apologies for using these community forums as, um, community forums.

Regards,
Shane.

spilla
14th October 2008, 10:11 PM
Got my third bill today, $71.

Someone must have signed me up to the wrong bonus offer, as I was sure I signed up to the 100 free SMS each month, but it seems they charged me for 143 messages at $0.18 each. :(

I guess it makes up for the last $5 bill and not having to pay the handset repayments for some reason. :)

jrad
14th October 2008, 11:27 PM
Optus has been screwing up my bills royally too... overcharging etc. Their reception is terrible - I keep getting alien and screaming noises. I've heard reports of my voicemail service making the same noise to friends and family and it has concerned them lol... not to mention data only works in some areas. I might have decent reception, can easily make calls and text, but don't try browsing that website... I bought an iPhone on VF for my mates 21st and we tested it side by side with Apple.com (obviously with cache cleared etc) and his loaded approx 12 seconds quicker than mine. Remember, this is a simple website...

I hate you Optus.

scritch
15th October 2008, 11:25 AM
OK - finished on the phone with Optus - someone screwed up when entering my plan into their systems and I've only just noticed due to me using the phone more.

They had me on the $59 "Yes" Plan, not the $59 Cap Plan - they are fixing it and reimbursing me any payments made that are incorrect.

Check your bills people and make sure you're on the right plan - if it says "Yes iPhone $xx Plan" then you're not on a cap plan. Check your paperwork/contract and give them a call.

Regards,
Shane.

yinyang
21st October 2008, 05:27 PM
Check your bills people and make sure you're on the right plan - if it says "Yes iPhone $xx Plan" then you're not on a cap plan. Check your paperwork/contract and give them a call.

I'll second that piece of advice - from the initial mistake (not Optus's fault) someone put me onto the normal $59 cap plan and not the $59 iPhone Cap plan. Strange when you think that the handset I'm paying for is an iPhone....! :confused:

So my third (or is it fourth) bill is again over $1000 because they still haven't credited correctly the last two months, and they're billing me $400 last month!

I can't wait to see a bill for just over $100 :D

UPDATE - you know when they say they'll call you back, but never do....! well good on Joan :) She did, and tried twice before leaving a message to say that she'd fixed it all up and even gave me a reference number!! I'm so looking forward to seeing a correct bill next month, even though deep down I expect to see another $1000+ because someone somewhere just had to maintain the status quo of me getting bizarre bills.....! :p

spilla
12th December 2008, 02:16 AM
Ok, looks like it's time for another Optus billing anomaly. This months bill was only $9 due to a $30 customer service operator adjustment. But the thing is, I haven't talked to Optus support in months!

Anyone else get this? :confused:

Reubania
12th December 2008, 07:08 AM
Nope. Mine is as it should be. Never had a problem with my billing account before.

admiral31
12th December 2008, 08:38 AM
Just got my first bill. It's around $460. I have got a charge of $160 to break my old contract (which I knew about) then a "miscellaneous" charge of $100 (?). They have also charged me $60 for 6MB of data, which is strange because I am on the $19 cap with 100MB of usage included. I have used 3G a couple of times, but mainly wi-fi. Usage on the iPhone says 10MB used.

Looking forward to calling them tonight to sort it out. Needless to say, the wife was not impressed upon opening the bill!

dche5390
12th December 2008, 09:46 AM
Waiting for my first bill from Optus...

Phase
12th December 2008, 09:48 AM
then a "miscellaneous" charge of $100 (?).

Friday afternoon drinks.

Oh yeah, it's in your contract somewhere.

admiral31
13th December 2008, 02:26 PM
So I called Optus about my first bill. They could not explain what the "miscellaneous" charge of $100 was for, so have removed it. Then I explained that I won't be paying $60 for 6MB of data, as I have 100MB of data included in the plan. It turns out although I got the phone on Nov. 16th, someone did not change my plan until the 21st, hence 5 days of no data allowance. Got that charge reversed as well.

Hopefully bill number 2 is a bit better.