PDA

View Full Version : backup and restore email

pongie
15th September 2008, 10:27 AM
I've just performed my first backup and restore after upgrading the firmware to 2.1 today. The first thing I noticed when it was complete was that my mails were all gone. The email accounts were there but the folders were all empty. These accounts were pop3 and IMAP. So does that mean the iPhone cannot backup and restore email unless you sync it? If it can may someone point out how so that I don't lose all my mails again. Thanks

By the way, I had the acounts configured to delete the email from the server when I moved them out of the inbox folder on my iPhone.

chrome
15th September 2008, 10:39 AM
iTunes only syncs your account settings, not your messages as stated in the "Info" tab in iTunes when you plug your iPhone in.

If you're using IMAP, the messages stay on the server until they are deleted; you don't need to back anything up. If you're using POP, you should be leaving the mail on the server and downloading them to your PC/Mac to archive/back them up.

pongie
15th September 2008, 11:27 AM
*sigh* thought so... was just hoping that iphone would be able to backup mails stored on the phone itself.

The same goes for ringtones and photos. I just noticed they were all gone too. The reason I didn't have the sync configured was because itunes is currently installed on my work laptop. I don't really want to load all my personal files on it. As for my home computer, I tinkered with xplite to slim down winXP and itunes refuses to run. The process is there but no itunes.