PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Stalling

cosmichobo
15th September 2008, 10:04 AM
G'day,

I'm experiencing random stalls when using Firefox 3.02... ie click to search Mactalk, but it just sits there not doing anything (swirly circle spins, says its contacting.. but no action). Or, click a link/bookmark, and same thing... or pages half-download, then stall...

Re-loading, re-clicking sometimes will make it finish the job properly... but other times I have to basically go elsewhere (ie click a random bookmark), come back, and then retry - or open a fresh window and try in there.

Anyone else get this? I can't believe it's because I'm only using an eMac 1.25GHz... it may mean slower page loads, but this is complete stalling... followed by normal resumption of duties...

cheers

cosmic

AusMac
15th September 2008, 10:11 AM
have you tried emptying the cache?
Also have you tried limiting the number of applications open while browsing?

One strange new message I get from FF 3.0.2 is:
"Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection." ?

Security updates .. life was better before them.

stewiesno1
15th September 2008, 10:13 AM
I get this occasionally but if I go to use Safari - same thing. Turns out to be my internet connection playing up. A few hours later all is restored back to normal. This happens probably every couple of months or so.
Try using Safari or another browser and see if the problem persists.

Stewie

rob05
15th September 2008, 10:35 AM
It also does it under firefox 3.0.1 only on selective sites here is never been an issue.

FineWine
15th September 2008, 04:32 PM
Firefox 3.0.2 ?? this would not be a Beta by any chance as the main Mozilla page still only has 3.0.1.

But I also get a freeze with FF 3.0.1 only occasionally on certain sites and I have a faint suspicion that it is Java related (not 100% on this) but after a minute or two it unfreezes by itself. It is not dependant on the number of app's I am running.

cosmichobo
15th September 2008, 08:59 PM
Yeah.... I had the original 3 beta on my computer, then started using it as my main browser the other day, and it asked if i wanted to update to 3.01, so I said yeah... then yesterday (?) it asked again to do an upgrade... frankly I didn't look what it was asking... then when it restarted it said thanks for testing beta 3.02... doh... oh well.

Frankly, v2 was doing it to me as well... it's why I gave up on 2 and went straight to 3... (having been forced away from 1.07). 2 was also pissing me off with tabs though, which 3 doesn't do... though I'd still like to know how to re-activate the click-hold contextual menus...

SteveClark
15th September 2008, 09:15 PM
G'day all

I've been getting the beachball on The Age - Business News, World News & Breaking News in Australia | theage.com.au (http://www.theage.com.au) frequently of late. I use Firefox 3.0.1 on a 1GHz eMac. It seems to be when the page tries to retrieve data from resources.theage.com.au. It eventually sorts itself out but usually I force quit it.

Far too many intrusive ads on The Age website these days.

Cheers
Steve