PDA

View Full Version : Jailbroken 2G phone to 2.1?

badwolf
15th September 2008, 09:27 AM
Hi.

I have a jailbroken 2G phone running 2.0. I'm hoping to upgrade to 2.1 - haven't applied any updates since the original firmware.

Can I just apply the 2.1 upgrade through iTunes, or do I need to go through the whole jailbreaking process again?

Feel free to point me to a message or thread if this has been answered...

Cheers,

Col

mitty
15th September 2008, 09:37 AM
The Angels have the phone box.

In other news, yep apparently 1st Gen's can upgrade through itunes and not lose the unlock, though you will lose the jailbreak. Then just run quickpwn to re-apply it. YMMV.

And welcome to Mactalk :)

badwolf
15th September 2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks Mitty, that's helpful.

Cheers,

Col

johnq
15th September 2008, 11:38 AM
The correct answer to this is dependant on the mechanism used to jailbreak the phone in the first place I think.

In may case my phone has been jailbroken, unlocked and updated several times using different methods. Most recently I used pwnage to get to 2.0.2. To upgrade from this to 2.1 you can just used iTunes and upgrade normally. This will still be unlocked, but not be jailbroken. You can then apply the jailbreak using quickpwn. Alternatively, you can download the firmware but NOT apply it, then use pwnage to create a custom firmware that you install using iTunes.

the_doctor
15th September 2008, 11:46 AM
What mitty said .....

And welcome Blaidd Drwg (prize for getting the reference). Always great having another Who fan and Mac/iPhone fan on the forum.

mitty
15th September 2008, 02:07 PM
Blaidd Drwg... is it even possible to pronounce that? :D

Meanwhile what johnq says is correct. If in doubt, use pwnage to pwn/jailbreak/unlock as this is the safest and most foolproof method.

iGobbleoff
15th September 2008, 02:19 PM
i did mine last nite, kept the unlock, and upgraded to 2.1

only thing is, mine is still showing the US format for numbers

Linux_insidev2
15th September 2008, 02:26 PM
i did mine last nite, kept the unlock, and upgraded to 2.1

only thing is, mine is still showing the US format for numbers

Settings > General > International > Region Format > Australia

denwol
15th September 2008, 02:44 PM
I have the same problem. My region is set to Australia but the numbers come out in US format.
I wonder if I jailbreak it again and apply the cydia app thing if it will change it.

badwolf
15th September 2008, 02:51 PM
I'd have changed 'Bad Wolf' to the Welsh (S01, E11) if I'd known the spelling, or possibly even the Norwegian (S02, E13)...

Anyway... I can pronounce it!

iGobbleoff
15th September 2008, 03:19 PM
Settings > General > International > Region Format > Australia

yeah, its in that format... still comes up as the wrong format, UNLESS, you put in the area code beforehand.

if i know im in the city im dialling, i dont bother with the area code.

at the moment, mine says under the region format "Australia"

Region Format Example
Saturday, 5 January 2008
12:34 AM

the_doctor
15th September 2008, 03:45 PM
I'd have changed 'Bad Wolf' to the Welsh (S01, E11) if I'd known the spelling, or possibly even the Norwegian (S02, E13)...

Anyway... I can pronounce it!

Bad Wolf Bay = Dårlig ulv stranden

And here's your prize:

http://www.demonland.com/iPhone/dalek.jpg

badwolf
15th September 2008, 04:07 PM
And what a splendid non-bug eyed monster he is...

badwolf
15th September 2008, 10:55 PM
The correct answer to this is dependant on the mechanism used to jailbreak the phone in the first place I think.

In may case my phone has been jailbroken, unlocked and updated several times using different methods. Most recently I used pwnage to get to 2.0.2. To upgrade from this to 2.1 you can just used iTunes and upgrade normally. This will still be unlocked, but not be jailbroken. You can then apply the jailbreak using quickpwn. Alternatively, you can download the firmware but NOT apply it, then use pwnage to create a custom firmware that you install using iTunes.

Sadly, I applied the update, only to find the activation had died.

No problem, I think, I'll just use Pwnage to fix it all up... I get an error #6 when I try to apply the Pwnaged custom restore software through iTunes.

Beware, therefore, this can happen!

Any thoughts, anyone?

vnclubsport
16th September 2008, 01:35 AM
I used Pwnage 2.1 on Saturday night when it was launch to upgrade to Ver 2.1. Initially a few of my applications form Cydia were not working so i reinstalled it again, afterwhich all my Cydia applications were running fine.
After the upgrade i have notice that battery life has improved somewhat over 2.0.1 which i was on before.

I noticed that when using Pwnage i did not have to put my phone on DFU mode to run the restore for Ver 2.1, which was rather strange. Any how the phone is upgraded and running fine.

Fabs
27th September 2008, 03:22 AM
I currently have 2G iPhone with 2.0.1 installed and Pwned!. Does anyone have simple step by step instructions on how to upgrade to 2.1? Is there a need to Pwn again or just let iTunes 8 upload the custom firmware? This current version is unreliable making the iPhone - useless.

Thanks!

bean
29th September 2008, 07:40 PM
I currently have 2G iPhone with 2.0.1 installed and Pwned!. Does anyone have simple step by step instructions on how to upgrade to 2.1? Is there a need to Pwn again or just let iTunes 8 upload the custom firmware? This current version is unreliable making the iPhone - useless.

Thanks!

Try this site best for step by step

iClarified - Tutorials - iPhone (http://www.iclarified.com/entries/index.php?caid=2&scid=11&orderby=views)