PDA

View Full Version : Aus Number Formating with 2.1

vernflan
15th September 2008, 08:19 AM
Has anyone else noticed that phone numbers are showing up as EG 9 2222 222 instead of 9222 2222? Just wondering if its just my phone? My settings are for Australia, has anyone else had this problem?

forno
15th September 2008, 08:22 AM
I was just about to post this, yes I have noiticed the differenece, it becomes 03 9222 2222 if you put 03 infront or 02, 08 etc I would assume, still a pain

mitty
15th September 2008, 08:23 AM
My 3G was jailbroken before 2.1, and I had applied the number localisation package. After jailbreaking I lost everything remotely related to the jailbreak... custom carrier logo, custom sms tones etc, but for some reason localisation was still there. I assumed Apple had actually added it in, but maybe the localisation didn't get wiped along with everything else? Anyone else experience this?

Regardless, if you jailbreak and apply the Aust localisation package all your issues will be solved.

euphospug
15th September 2008, 08:24 AM
yeah, you have to stick the 08 or 03 or 02 whatever in front of the number...

james the 2nd
15th September 2008, 08:24 AM
Yeah, I posted this on saturday:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/56/57858-2-1-out-iphone-20.html#post636379

But worthy of a new thread I reckon..

fickwalker
15th September 2008, 08:46 AM
My 3G was jailbroken before 2.1, and I had applied the number localisation package. After jailbreaking I lost everything remotely related to the jailbreak... custom carrier logo, custom sms tones etc, but for some reason localisation was still there. I assumed Apple had actually added it in, but maybe the localisation didn't get wiped along with everything else? Anyone else experience this?

Regardless, if you jailbreak and apply the Aust localisation package all your issues will be solved.

What's funny is that I upgraded to 2.1 and lost al my jailbreak stuff... Except my customer carrier name. That's still there, but everything else is gone. Weird.

the_doctor
15th September 2008, 09:14 AM

It is for this reason that I don't want to jailbreak my virgin 3G. You never know what JTDs (Jailbreak Transmitted Diseases) it might get infected with. ;)

Here's hoping 2.1.1 is released very soon to correct this @#$% up.

adamerr
15th September 2008, 09:43 AM
What's funny is that I upgraded to 2.1 and lost al my jailbreak stuff... Except my customer carrier name. That's still there, but everything else is gone. Weird.

Reset your phone
(Via Settings)

and it should be gone =D

vernflan
15th September 2008, 10:56 AM
Just added 02 in front of my numbers and the format is correct again, a real pain but there you go.

manooka
15th September 2008, 11:18 AM
I'm having trouble installing "Aussie Number Localisation" from Cydia since upgrading to 2.1. The ID points to com.mactalk.auslocalization so I'm hoping someone here knows about it. While installing I get the following:

Source Error
subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1

Anyone else having trouble with this?

Linux_insidev2
15th September 2008, 11:19 AM
I'm having trouble installing "Aussie Number Localisation" from Cydia since upgrading to 2.1. The ID points to com.mactalk.auslocalization so I'm hoping someone here knows about it. While installing I get the following:

Source Error

No longer compatible with the latest firmware
No longer needed.
I'll look into modifying the package to not install on 2.1

Regards,
--Matt

remhh
15th September 2008, 11:19 AM

Source Error

Same here, for some reason it will not install...

manooka
15th September 2008, 11:23 AM
No longer needed.

So why is this no longer needed? Does the iPhone now support the correct formatting? Mine is still displaying 9 9999 999 instead of 9999 9999

Exocet
15th September 2008, 11:27 AM
Use area codes and it will display as (03) 9999 9999. You should enter all your landline numbers with the area code, as if you are interstate or your calls are routed through a different state due to network load, you will dial the wrong number.

fickwalker
15th September 2008, 11:32 AM
Reset your phone
(Via Settings)

and it should be gone =D

But I don't want to get rid of it. :) I was pleased when I saw it was still there after the firmware update. :thumbup:

shihyuan
15th September 2008, 11:47 AM
I found its always a good habit to include the area code in front the the local numbers. Just in case that if you go to interstate then you will need to remember to mannually add the 03 in front of the number before you can dial the number. I have always done that simply coz it looks nicer that way :thumbup:

dotnet
15th September 2008, 11:48 AM
Just added 02 in front of my numbers and the format is correct again, a real pain but there you go.

Come on, people, how can you not have the area code in there? Do you never go interstate?

Cheers
Steffen.

the_doctor
15th September 2008, 11:54 AM
I found its always a good habit to include the area code in front the the local numbers. Just in case that if you go to interstate then you will need to remember to mannually add the 03 in front of the number before you can dial the number. I have always done that simply coz it looks nicer that way :thumbup:

I agree. I was in Sydney earlier in the year for work and everytime I would speed dial my work number (in Melbourne) I would get a Nandos store in suburban Sydney. From then on all my numbers have the area code.

fother
15th September 2008, 11:56 AM

Yep, I've been including the area code for years - you only need to learn that lesson once.

FWIW, I like the way it's displayed in 2.1

Linux_insidev2
15th September 2008, 11:56 AM
So why is this no longer needed? Does the iPhone now support the correct formatting? Mine is still displaying 9 9999 999 instead of 9999 9999

Area codes

If I get time tonight, I'll look into updating for 2.1

Cheers

boyhobbit
15th September 2008, 12:24 PM
No longer needed.

Regards,
--Matt

No Longer Needed..?

Whilst all of my contacts are entered with the appropriate area codes, no matter which State or City I am in I NEVER put an area code in front of a known, manually dialed local number!

This is most frustrating when you are trying to dial correctly and you are used to looking at a correctly formatted phone number.

I Wish Apple could just get this basic crap right... But in the meantime could you please update the patch?

Linux_insidev2
15th September 2008, 12:29 PM
I Wish Apple could just get this basic crap right... But in the meantime could you please update the patch?

Cheers

the_doctor
15th September 2008, 12:33 PM
But in the meantime could you please update the patch?

Chill boyhobbit.

Linux_insidev2 does this for free you know and I'm sure he has a day job too. And as stated above he said he will do it tonight.

Linux_insidev2
15th September 2008, 12:34 PM
Chill boyhobbit.

Linux_insidev2 does this for free you know and I'm sure he has a day job too. And as stated above he said he will do it tonight.

It's cool,

Outside of work I have no life anyway :P

If I had my mac at work rest assured I'd be working on it right now.

chrome
15th September 2008, 12:54 PM
even better; store your numbers as +61 2 xxxx xxxx. Then it'll work internationally!

undertow
15th September 2008, 12:56 PM
I used the optus patch on cydia it replaces the carrier logo to an optus one and does the number formatting for AU after a reboot (first gen iphone here)

Venom71
15th September 2008, 12:59 PM
With phone numbers I go one step further - I always include the international dialling code as well. I know then that I never have to think about things whether I'm in Queensland, in Sydney or travelling overseas.

As examples, all Australian phone numbers are entered as +61 x xxxx xxxx, Vanuatu numbers are +678 xxxxx - doing it this way ensures all phone numbers are consistent and always work without having to edit before dialling irrespective of where I am.

(Oh, the + sign is interpreted to mean "dial international" first before dialling the actual number and is, I think, the same on every mobile phone)

Oh, I also enter phone numbers, in AddressBook, as a contiguous string - I don't break them up into the three elements (Country code, area code, prefix and suffix) that way they can be SMS/emailed and will work for the recipient.

drewbles
15th September 2008, 01:19 PM
No Longer Needed..?

Whilst all of my contacts are entered with the appropriate area codes, no matter which State or City I am in I NEVER put an area code in front of a known, manually dialed local number!

This is most frustrating when you are trying to dial correctly and you are used to looking at a correctly formatted phone number.

+1

I had a custom string matcher for my old 1.1.4 iPhone that worked beautifully. I wouldn't imagine it's hard to keep that and re-engineer it for 2.1, but then again, I could be wrong.

I never enter a local number manually with area code. All my phonebook entries are in +xx format (A lot of international numbers so i'm in the habit of using +xx for all my entries). Manual? no. 8 digits and 'call' :)

Linux_insidev2
15th September 2008, 01:30 PM
I used the optus patch on cydia it replaces the carrier logo to an optus one and does the number formatting for AU after a reboot (first gen iphone here)

errr...

No it doesn't?

My carrierbundles do not touch number formatting.

VALANDI
15th September 2008, 01:34 PM
i love the new formatting...

i received a call from a few suburbs away today and it came up as (08) 8444 4444...

so much easier to have area code in brackets than 0884444444

kiss
15th September 2008, 05:23 PM
if you could, please create another Aussie Number Localization patch!!

the attempt by Apple was a good effort but they failed terribly

If you're on prepaid like myself and you type in a 3 digit or 4 digit recharge line etc, it appears as such ... 5 55 or 1 512

Now, i think that looks b@lls and like many have said, most of us live in one state where we don't have interstate contacts to even require an area code input! its just plain annoying..

i admire your work Linux_insidev2 as you've put a smile on plenty of aussie iPhone owners so keep up the good work... PLZ lol

should be like the following....

landline variants:
02 9999 9999
9999 9999

mobile:
0400 000 000

4 or less digits:

calling the police looks like cr@p... 0 00

laughingbird
15th September 2008, 05:37 PM
Area codes

Hi Folks,

The Aussie number formatting patch was a joint effort between me and Linux_insidev2. I prepared the formats.plist, and he packaged it for Cydia.

I hope he discovers something different tonight from what I've so far found, but so far I've no idea how to fix it this time. The number formatting worked the same way on at least the last eight firmware versions, but this time it looks quite different, and I have no idea how to do anything with it. The new plist, instead of containing the formats, contains some codes which I'm guessing link to something somewhere else to find the formats, but I have no idea where the "something else" is. IN other words, a new number formats localisation appears as though it will be a whole new project, not just a simple updating of the old one.

As others have noted, FW2.1 has some improvements to the Aussie formats, but that they have also stuffed up our basic unprefixed landline format, so it is gains and losses.

Of the Aussie formats in the old tweak, the ones we now get in FW2.1 are:
04## ### ###
(03) #### ####
+61 # #### ####

The ones we don't get are:
#### #### (instead we get # #### ###)
+61 4## ### ### (instead we get +61 4 #### ####)
1300 ### ### (we just get a block)
1800 ### ### (we just get a block)
13# ### (instead we get 1 3### #)

I'm no expert on this stuff. Last time someone else pointed out where the plist was, and I just worked out its pattern and how to tweak it. This time, I've got no idea, so if any of you expert hackers can work out how it is working again, I'll be as happy as everyone else to hear about it.

For what it is worth, I reckon the weird unprefixed landline format is simply an accident that will probably be fixed in 2.1.1. Since it was right before, and there are some new ones that are now right, I can't imagine any reason why they would have deliberately changed that one.

MacRobbo
15th September 2008, 06:59 PM
I noticed that and it annoyed the heck out of me. I just put 02, 03 etc in front of the number, then it works correctly.

kiss
15th September 2008, 10:02 PM
Hi Folks,

The Aussie number formatting patch was a joint effort between me and Linux_insidev2. I prepared the formats.plist, and he packaged it for Cydia.

sorry, props to you too laughingbird, i wasn't aware of your efforts !!

you did a good job.. and it was appreciated by many. i hope they address it in the next firmware version.

bigmouth
16th September 2008, 11:11 AM
No longer needed.

Matt

Matt, are you able to rewrite it to BE compatible ? Cause that's been the only solution for us Aussies, and I was happy to have it on 2.0.1/2.0.2 :)

Arsenal
16th September 2008, 04:10 PM
Matt, are you able to rewrite it to BE compatible ? Cause that's been the only solution for us Aussies, and I was happy to have it on 2.0.1/2.0.2 :)

Read laughingbird's post a couple above yours.

bigmouth
16th September 2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks Arsenal :) I had just woken up and skimmed right past it :) Let's hope Laughingbird and co or anyone else can come up with the solution.

DJY
16th September 2008, 08:50 PM
even better; store your numbers as +61 2 xxxx xxxx. Then it'll work internationally!

I've always had all my numbers in international format.

The ones we don't get are:
+61 4## ### ### (instead we get +61 4 #### ####)

Initially I didn't like it like this...
but now it doesn't bother me.
Makes sense really... and also standardises all phone numbers to be 8 digit numbers with the following for area codes:
2= NSW, 3 = VIC / TAS, 4=mobiles etc etc etc

Arsenal
17th September 2008, 10:15 AM
Initially I didn't like it like this...
but now it doesn't bother me.
Makes sense really... and also standardises all phone numbers to be 8 digit numbers with the following for area codes:
2= NSW, 3 = VIC / TAS, 4=mobiles etc etc etc

I agree that logically it makes sense, however it's not a standard used anywhere else, so it makes recognising numbers harder than if they were formatted +61 4## ### ###

laughingbird
19th September 2008, 11:16 AM
Okay, for those of you who have been grieving the demise of our old Aussie Number Formatting tweak, and sweating on the possibility of a new one, there is good news.

A few people contacted me with offers of help in solving it (since it was out of my league) and one of the guys has now cracked it. A couple of us now have it running on our phones with all the old Aussie formats from the old tweak back and working, and all looks well.

It make take a few days to get it up onto Cydia so that those with jailbroken phones can install it, but it is on its way.

bigmouth
20th September 2008, 02:38 PM
Woo bloody hoo :) There's always someone out there who has a fix :) Thanks LB.

Buthidae
20th September 2008, 07:52 PM
Nice one! :) Any chance you could please post it up for those that want to install it now?

jrgibson1
20th September 2008, 09:12 PM
Geez Buthidae - Give the guys a break.
I am sure they will upload it as soon as they can.

We've waited a week, I am sure a few more days won't kill us.

Linux_insidev2
20th September 2008, 10:12 PM
Hey guys, just thought I'd give an update.

A localization patch has been done, it's being beta tested now.

The reason we can't get it up now is that the new file is a completely different format, and was hard to decode.
Thankfully one of LB's Acquaintances has been able to do it.

I'm waiting to hear back from a few people - then I will have it put into the bigboss repo.

Cheers.

Linux_insidev2
21st September 2008, 11:16 AM
Auslocalization 2.1 Goes live on Cydia this morning.

Scooterpig
21st September 2008, 11:21 AM
Well done guys, excellent work and thank you..:)

jrgibson1
21st September 2008, 12:18 PM
Auslocalization 2.1 Goes live on Cydia this morning.

You boys rock, thank you very much.

EDIT @ 12:20pm - Boys, I have just downloaded this file and thank you very VERY much. It's awesome. To quote Sweeney Tood "At least. My right arm is complete again."

Was it an easy task to do? I have a few more numbers I format in my own method (such as Optus' 124YES - 124 937) and would like to know if the file is editable my your 'average Joe' or not.

Thank you again, and appreciate your efforts once again.

scritch
21st September 2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks Linux_insidev2 this works great.

Regards,
Shane.

Linux_insidev2
21st September 2008, 04:20 PM
Was it an easy task to do? I have a few more numbers I format in my own method (such as Optus' 124YES - 124 937) and would like to know if the file is editable my your 'average Joe' or not.

Thank you again, and appreciate your efforts once again.
Not really an easy task, it was a bit of a group effort!
I couldn't make heads nor tail of it myself

Thanks Linux_insidev2 this works great.

Regards,
Shane.

Don't thank me, I'm just the dude who forwards it on to BigBoss to host for us all :P
you need to be Thanking LaughingBird and his acquaintance Z for that :D

laughingbird
21st September 2008, 08:40 PM
Don't thank me, I'm just the dude who forwards it on to BigBoss to host for us all :P
you need to be Thanking LaughingBird and his acquaintance Z for that :D

And I can't claim much credit either, and I've actually never met Z. I could take some credit for the old one, but this new one is way way out of my league. It has been an interesting experience in how team work develops in the internet age though. I feel as though we created our own mini iPhone Dev-team downunder. It was a team effort, and yet none of us have ever met each other.

Because my email address was on the Cydia page for the old tweak, I started getting emails telling me it wasn't working under the new 2.1 firmware, and I was sending back a standard email saying that the way the iPhone handled number formatting was now completely different and it was unlikely I'd ever work out how to fix it. A couple of people who received that email wrote back expressing interest in helping try to crack it if I told them where the files were stored. I sent them the old file and told them where the new ones were. One of them, Z, made contact with some programmers in China who helped him work out how the binary file worked, and he was then able to modify it to include the formats I had used in the old tweak. When he'd finished, he sent it to me; I forwarded it to Linux_insidev2 who packaged it for Cydia, and there you go.

So all I can take credit for is being the communication hub of the team, and none of us would have gotten far without the help of some coders in China whose names I don't even know. But together we got there. Cool huh?

laughingbird
22nd September 2008, 04:53 PM

There was nothing easy about it, and it is certainly out of the league this average Joe. However, if you have some proficiency with complex binary coding, Z has written a guide on how he did it and he's happy for us to forward it to anyone who wants it. It might as well be written in ancient Syriac for all the sense I can make of it, but if that's your thing, I can send it to anyone who wants it.

Just PM me with your email address and I'll send you a copy.

wholikespotatoes
22nd September 2008, 05:01 PM
I get a 'Size mismatch' error when installing?

WhiteiPhone
22nd September 2008, 05:31 PM

me too

benzoenator
22nd September 2008, 07:26 PM
Just installed this now - works fantastically. Nice job developers! :)

boyhobbit
23rd September 2008, 09:38 AM
Awesome! Many thanks to LB & Z.

ozblogger
23rd September 2008, 01:57 PM
brilliant work ! Cheers

reservin
23rd September 2008, 09:02 PM
version 2.0 was working fine and couldnt upgrade, so i removed it and tried to install it again ad my

iphone show its broken package.. what is wrong with my iPhone?

btw my iPhone 3G firmware is 2.0.1

laughingbird
24th September 2008, 02:25 PM
version 2.0 was working fine and couldnt upgrade, so i removed it and tried to install it again ad my
iphone show its broken package.. what is wrong with my iPhone?
btw my iPhone 3G firmware is 2.0.1

The version now available on Cydia is only relevant to firmware 2.1. The way the number formatting works is quite different now, so if you're on the old firmware you can't do it through Cydia.

If you want to do it on a phone with the older firmware, this guide (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/53/44006-babysteps-guide-better-aussie-number-formatting.html) still works for doing it yourself.

laughingbird
26th September 2008, 12:40 PM

Checking with the team, we reckon this "size mismatch" thing would most likely be just poor timing. It would happen if you were downloading the package at the same time the package has been uploaded. The server hashes the file at the last step so that the client ensures it gets the correct data. If you've downloaded it before the update script on the server finished, this could happen. Give it another go.

reservin
27th September 2008, 12:38 AM
I'm on 2.1 firmware and just installed this tweaks.

Firstly thanks to Linux_insidev2 for makin this and i have question.

when you guys enter mobile number fro keypad, mine shows 04#-###-####

from 2.0.1 it was like 04## ### ### and i was happy with it.

is everyone is working like mine?

scritch
27th September 2008, 12:52 AM
Nope. When I enter say 0412 111 111 into the keypad, that is exactly how it is displayed. 04xx xxx xxx.

Try uninstalling then reinstalling the patch, then resetting your phone. Not sure if this effects it but also check your settings & ensure you have Australia set everywhere.

Regards,
Shane.

I'm on 2.1 firmware and just installed this tweaks.

Firstly thanks to Linux_insidev2 for makin this and i have question.

when you guys enter mobile number fro keypad, mine shows 04#-###-####

from 2.0.1 it was like 04## ### ### and i was happy with it.

is everyone is working like mine?

poppet
27th September 2008, 11:08 PM

I've always entered numbers in my address book as international. Means I don't have to arse about if I am abroad trying to dial or if I am trying to dial international from my mobile. So my numbers look like +61899999999. My uk numbers look +441699999999 and I'm happy with that.