PDA

View Full Version : Powerbooks delivery times and DOAs?

aswitcher
20th May 2004, 02:28 PM
Hello all, I am new poster to this forum but frequent macrumors a bit.

I was wondering since this is a local forum if anyone would care to comment on their recent experiences with the latest round of powerbook releases.

My experience is that my 17" PB Build To Order (128 vram, 5400rpm) turned up about 3 weeks after I ordered (last week) but proved to be a DOA with a dodgy video problem.

The wait for PBs here in Oz seems a little excessive given US and even European experiences, usually a week to 2 weeks.

Also DOA bites and now they have my money (and Applecare) and I dont know when I will actually get my PB so I can finally switch.

Anyone else had good or bad experiences?

sillydog701
20th May 2004, 02:36 PM
Well, I have good experience with my ordering of PowerBook. 7 working days for BTO (CTO) 12" PB. See this thread (http://www.appletalk.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=582) for detail.

Originally posted by aswitcher@May 20 2004, 02:28 PM
The wait for PBs here in Oz seems a little excessive given US and even European experiences, usually a week to 2 weeks.Well, you have to take away weekends and holidays, also PowerBooks are not assembled in Australia.

aswitcher
21st May 2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by sillydog701@May 20 2004, 02:36 PM
Well, I have good experience with my ordering of PowerBook. 7 working days for BTO (CTO) 12" PB. See this thread (http://www.appletalk.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=582) for detail.

Originally posted by aswitcher@May 20 2004, 02:28 PM
The wait for PBs here in Oz seems a little excessive given US and even European experiences, usually a week to 2 weeks.Well, you have to take away weekends and holidays, also PowerBooks are not assembled in Australia.
Looks like you got the fastest delivery I have heard of.

I appreciate its working days...

hawker
21st May 2004, 11:33 AM
The 17" powerbook I ordered was here within five days (had a problem with StarTrack Express loosing the paperwork - so I didn't get it for six days)...

It had sound problems - the headphone jack did not work, it was fixed in six hours at my local apple store - apprently it was rogue ant who had made his way into the jack...

Crambo
21st May 2004, 11:53 AM
Heh, sounds like they've really got the manufacturing and packaging areas of the plants in Taiwan clean...

aswitcher
21st May 2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by hawker@May 21 2004, 11:33 AM
The 17" powerbook I ordered was here within five days (had a problem with StarTrack Express loosing the paperwork - so I didn't get it for six days)...

Was that a custom job?

Screen 100%?

hawker
21st May 2004, 12:15 PM
No, they said if I did want to add extras and what not, that it could take anywhere from two or three days to a week extra.

the ant called into the jack after we got it... ;)

Crambo
21st May 2004, 12:41 PM
Oh, well in that case use those things that you put at the bottom of your door :-P

moo
21st May 2004, 06:02 PM
my wife bought a stock 15" a couple of weeks ago
ordered online Sunday and had it by Wednesday
God it's a nice machine.

sillydog701
21st May 2004, 06:21 PM
(Okay, not PowerBook)
When I bought my PowerMac (MDD FW800) from Designwyse, in Melbourne I believe, by phone order. It arrived next day (Sydney), free delivery.

mbd
23rd May 2004, 07:08 PM
I waited three weeks and three days for my CTO 17" powerbook recently (Apple site was suggesting that I'd get it in 2-3 weeks if I'd ordered direct at the time I placed the order). The supply of CTOs to resellers appears to have a been a bit slower than expected, and I believe this is due to the large number of CTO orders on a new range of notebooks that would have taken some time to ramp up to full supply availability in the 1st place. Times should be improving now I believe.

It was an anxious wait for me, but I'm glad I did. It's a very nice machine. (and no DOA problems so far) :-)

Crambo
24th May 2004, 10:38 AM
When I ordered my G5 the online Apple store was alternating between 3-4 days & 5-7 days (added BT & a Radeon 9800Pro). The order was placed at an "actual" store on a Monday and the machine had arrived by Wednesday night, picked it up on Thursday!

I'm not having such luck with an iBook I ordered online recently, the est. build time on that was 5-7 days and I'm up to the 4th day with the order still open, so there's no early arrival for this one methinks.

sillydog701
24th May 2004, 10:43 AM
I would suggest you to be patient. You can't do anything to speed them up.

estoyloco
24th May 2004, 02:57 PM
Hey ASWITCHER, i have had a great experience with my 17" BTO PB. Im sure your next one will be fine. Also at least you know it only takes about 5 minutes after you have removed it from the box until its up and running :D

This may come out wrong but you should be happy that this DOA in terms of the new 17" is a relatively isolated incident that way you know that your next one should be fine. Also i havent heard of any probelms with these new PB's 17" in general which is great. My new 17" seems to produce clearer images than my last 17" (not sure if its the BTO 128MB VRAM) but the images are alot more crisp and my MiniDV playback is much better.

It hard not to be impressed by an apple machine. Dont expect that these problems are common. Im sure when you get your new PB that you will have OSX under control in a matter of minutes, its very intuitive and almost doesnt need a help section.

Anyways let us know when it arrives.

ALSO with BTO's you must realise that the largest resellers get the most stock. My PB took less than 10 working days and it had apparently been at the store for a few more bacck because they forgot to call me (NEXTBYTE) so i would assume that DJ's and other less significant resellers might be a little slower.... But the larger ones seem to get the more stock. I have heard this from the resellers mouths themselves also...

Crambo
24th May 2004, 09:10 PM
What do you know, my iBook has been shipped tonight (one day ahead of the est. build time). Any ideas on the rough transit time from the "has been shipped" e-mail to it arriving at my door?

aswitcher
29th May 2004, 08:16 AM
Well now its 10 working days and counting for my replacement PB.

This switch is not going well. :angry:

Whats a typicaly wait for a DOA replacement?

OziMac
15th June 2004, 10:58 AM
Aswitcher, how's your Powerbook been since it arrived?

Just thought I'd add something about delivery times - I ordered (after making and cancelling two other orders - they're very good about cancelling ;)) a 15" BTO Powerbook from the online store and received it 10 days later. The shipping itself took 3 days, so that wasn't too bad a turnaround I thought.

As for the DOA experience, can't imagine it would've been pleasant Aswitcher. Good to hear you've received it in great condition though - now all that's left for me is to get this pesky keyboard fixed...

aswitcher
15th June 2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by OziMac@Jun 15 2004, 10:58 AM
Aswitcher, how's your Powerbook been since it arrived?

Just thought I'd add something about delivery times - I ordered (after making and cancelling two other orders - they're very good about cancelling ;)) a 15" BTO Powerbook from the online store and received it 10 days later. The shipping itself took 3 days, so that wasn't too bad a turnaround I thought.

As for the DOA experience, can't imagine it would've been pleasant Aswitcher. Good to hear you've received it in great condition though - now all that's left for me is to get this pesky keyboard fixed...
Yeah, got my PB on Tuesday afternoon last week...so 1 week today.

It took 17 WORKING days to get the replacement for the DOA...I've wrote to Apple in disgust after 15 working days...

PB seems fine. A few little problems I am trying to figure out but all up its been great...at least that is once I had waited the 46 calender days between when I ordered it and when it arrived...

DJY
17th June 2004, 07:02 PM
I'm contemplating buying a 17" Powerbook loaded up as much as I can...
RAM + video + HDD + EDUC warranty on EDUC prices...

any benefits in buying from my local Mac1 vs online?

Ozi
18th June 2004, 09:19 PM
Here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=70474&page=1&pp=25) is the link to the entire sorry saga of aswitcher. :)