PDA

View Full Version : The iPhone Satisfaction thread

EasyTiger
14th September 2008, 11:38 AM
Okay, so I've read the "My iphone is buggy and crap" thread and it's got me bummed out. I was planning on getting one soonish, but what I really need is a better overall judgement up to this point on the thing.

So when you get a moment, please let me know how satisfied or otherwise you are with your iPhone.

Arkhum_Eramak
14th September 2008, 11:45 AM
No hardware for anything is perfect, but the iPhone does a good job at being close. I have no problems, but I also use hardly any third party apps. I've found it to be reliable when I've needed it. Plus I get reception, which is a nice change from my old phone.

Kuma
14th September 2008, 11:53 AM
I really miss some of the functions that my standard phone can do. (I have kept the account open... for now).

but the other day I had to use my old phone... and god it killed me. I was getting really frustrated.

2.1 seems to have fixed many of the issues I was experiencing... my biggest gripe is battery life.

But then people who complain about battery life are using the phone.. and why are we using it.... because it is so damn good!

I have clocked up just under 1GB of data usage since I got my iPhone. I use it everyday when I'm out and about far more heavily than any phone before. Now if it would just add those secret Japanese functions (hardware and software) it would be almost perfect.

themessup
14th September 2008, 11:55 AM
My iPhone is great ever since 2.1

Johnny Appleseed
14th September 2008, 12:01 PM
The first two options have too much overlap, but I went for the second.

gareth
14th September 2008, 12:09 PM
since 2.1 i love my phone i can actually send text messages without lag

WhiteiPhone
14th September 2008, 12:15 PM
need to get 2.1 jailbroken and it will be the bomb!!

leon
14th September 2008, 12:48 PM
1st Gen on 1.1.4 is absolutely perfect. Only real crashes I ever get is Safari, but I've had about 5-10 in the 5 months I've owned the phone.

dev_enter
14th September 2008, 12:54 PM
I've found battery life with 2.1 is significantly better, I'm able to leave my e-mail set to Fetch every 15 minutes and Wi-Fi left turned on without it being drained by the end of the day.

I've found that submitting one of the forms of an internal application at work causes my phone to hard lock-up. I'll need to try this again on Monday now that I have 2.1.

Shaxbon
14th September 2008, 01:14 PM
I haven't had a single problem since picking it up on July 11.

Only a minor issue of the message lag when typing everynow and then but prior to 2.1 all I had to do was go back to the homepage.

Once I went iPhone I'm never going back! Too me its invaluable since it just synced and worked with my Macbook when I got it!

Ecto1
14th September 2008, 01:16 PM
It is everything i have ever wanted in a phone. Ok so there are a few issues with it, and i still get the odd no reception msg even though i updated to 2.1. But i think it more to do with the reception in my house.

bolle
14th September 2008, 01:16 PM
I am in <3 with this phone, and with the apps store, the potential for this little device is amazing. The only one down side i can see is not being able to use these apps whilst overseas.

Does anyone think telcos will one day come to the party with cheaper international data roaming rates?

Reubania
14th September 2008, 01:19 PM
I don't have any issues with it. Sure, Safari crashes once in a while on certain websites...but it's everything I wanted in a phone....ipod....and mobile browser and GPS....wow....what a device!

pdra05
14th September 2008, 01:21 PM
Great phone - does pretty much everything from e-mail to facebook, games to music, etc. All I need now is to switch to one of those Three mobile network data plans. :)

wmyeoh
14th September 2008, 01:49 PM
2.1 update pretty much solved every issue (except reception) for me. This could be an optus problem though.

I can now fully recommend this phone to anyone with confidence. I am ASTOUNDED by how much better my battery life is, syncing has gone from 2+ hours to a minute, installing apps has gone from 15 min to 30 sec.

By far the best phone I have ever owned, and the recent software update shows that even if there is something lacking at the moment, it can quite easily and quickly fixed.

Peter Mount
14th September 2008, 01:52 PM
After getting mine I downloaded the 2.1 update. After that I when I selected one icon rather than opening the app the icons just did a funny wobble motion on the screen. Is this a bug? It hasn't happened since, although it has been switched off and on since then.

Reubania
14th September 2008, 01:59 PM
After getting mine I downloaded the 2.1 update. After that I when I selected one icon rather than opening the app the icons just did a funny wobble motion on the screen. Is this a bug? It hasn't happened since.

Mate - that's normal! That is a feature that allows you to rearrange your apps icons and make different "Home" screens by swiping across to the left. All you do is press and hold on any apps icon and they all wobble. Then select which icon you want to rearrange by clicking and dragging and then dropping into the space (row) you want them to be located. You can even change the four "default" apps on the "menubar" (Phone / Mail / Safari / iPod).

To set/save this new arrangement, just press the Home button.

decryption
14th September 2008, 02:00 PM
After getting mine I downloaded the 2.1 update. After that I when I selected one icon rather than opening the app the icons just did a funny wobble motion on the screen. Is this a bug? It hasn't happened since, although it has been switched off and on since then.

That's a feature :)
You can re-arrange your icons to put them where you want. Simply press the home button to resume normal function (after you've re-arranged the icons).

benji
14th September 2008, 02:13 PM
As mentioned by others the 2.1 update has definitely made the iPhone easily the best phone I've ever used.

battye
14th September 2008, 02:20 PM
Very happy with the iPhone, I didn't have any problems on 2.0 or 2.1 :)

The Architect.mac
14th September 2008, 02:32 PM
2.1 has made it rock solid for me, and i only had a few bugs prior...

Peter Mount
14th September 2008, 02:39 PM
That's a feature :)
You can re-arrange your icons to put them where you want. Simply press the home button to resume normal function (after you've re-arranged the icons).

In that case I'd like to change my vote to "Love it! Wouldn't trade it in for the world" instead of the second option.

Thanks Reubania, I knew there's reason why I should watch the iPhone tutorial on the Apple site :)

TJA77
14th September 2008, 03:38 PM
Okay, so I've read the "My iphone is buggy and crap" thread and it's got me bummed out. I was planning on getting one soonish, but what I really need is a better overall judgement up to this point on the thing.

So when you get a moment, please let me know how satisfied or otherwise you are with your iPhone.

Just go for it you wont be disappointed. Since the 2.1 update I went from having 1 signal bar on 3G to 4-5 now and really besides a little text lag every now and then that was the only real problem I had with it. Im absolutely loving it now and wouldnt change it for anything. :D

WhiteiPhone
14th September 2008, 04:21 PM
yay jailbroken 2.1
im loving this!

jrad
14th September 2008, 04:41 PM
2.1 is fantastic. My fav bit is how Australian numbers are now formatted correctly - eg (07) 5500 0000 for landlines and 0416 123 456 for mobiles. Love it! :thumbup:

decryption
14th September 2008, 04:42 PM
iPhone is the best thing since sliced bread. I'd kill myself if Apple stopped making it. (hear that Apple - don't you dare stop making the iPhone)

waynie
14th September 2008, 04:44 PM
I had terrible problems with my iPhone, but haven't had a since problem since 2.1.

Reubania
14th September 2008, 04:45 PM
iPhone is the best thing since sliced bread. I'd kill myself if Apple stopped making it. (hear that Apple - don't you dare stop making the iPhone)

LOL! :thumbup:

Don't bank on it....BUT you never know...they did the unthinkable and cease making the iPod mini...in favour of the hugely popular nano!! So you never know...when they end a product line, a new and better product line will rise from the ashes!!! :D

Ecto1
14th September 2008, 04:47 PM
Ummm dont know who to say this with out looking like a typical guy. I found an adult site that is made for the iphone. punch up the site in safari select a video and it plays just like the youtube app or watching a video through the ipod. Can not complain about the. This phone keeps getting better and better.

benzoenator
14th September 2008, 05:18 PM
If my iPhone can actually survive a jailbreak (constantly froze whenever I tried to with 2.0), I am going to be ecstatic. The iPhone's battery stayed completely full today (3G and WiFi on), which is amazing. 2.1 saves the day!

Tassiecelt
14th September 2008, 05:21 PM
Fantastic, easily the best phone/PDA I have ever had.
To make it perfect I would hope to see cut and paste soon plus more desktop to iphone versions, eg a desktop version of E Wallet and an iPhone version of MacJournal.

Most of all, sync with iCal To Do and notes, but I can wait for all that, right now there is no better phone or PDA.

dolbinau
14th September 2008, 07:59 PM
I would not give my iPhone away for anything, but I haven't been 100% happy. The 2.1 update is helping though :).

I wish we could open links in safari in a new window before copy+paste.

Andrew T Chadwick
14th September 2008, 08:33 PM
A slightly imperfect Iphone beats the schit out of anything else:).

Reubania
15th September 2008, 08:11 AM

TOO RIGHT!!!! For every minute iPhone complaint, there is a gazillion MAJOR flaws with a Windows Mobile device...:D

Joey1983
15th September 2008, 10:51 AM

100% True.

I'm still having a few problems with the phone switching between 2G and 3G signals, but besides this it's perfect and wouldn't swap it for anything. :D

Beats the crap out of anything else on the market. Especially the torture that was windows mobile :thumbdn:

Blue Water Boy
15th September 2008, 11:12 AM
apart from my MBP, iPhone is the best thing i have ever spent money on!!!!

i know that there are some problems and short comings but i believe that because of what the iPhone is that those will be solved in time and for now i couldn't give a rats about not having MMS or BT File transfer!

BEST PHONE EVER!!!!

The Fluffy Duck
15th September 2008, 11:38 AM
2.1 brought the iphone to where it should have been on launch.

mitty
15th September 2008, 11:44 AM
If I could change one thing about the iphone I would get the headphone socket put on the bottom rather than the top. Or allow the screen to go upside down if it's held upside down.

Peter Mount
15th September 2008, 11:49 AM
If I could change one thing about the iphone I would get the headphone socket put on the bottom rather than the top. Or allow the screen to go upside down if it's held upside down.

Well maybe some time this century they'll invent holographic hardware. You'll be able to reconfigure the position of the socket on your iPhone to your heart's content.

Just imagine the ad.

"New from Apple......."

EasyTiger
15th September 2008, 12:01 PM
Wow, pretty good feedback from the poll. You'd never have known how happy people are if you got bogged down in the "Whats wrong with my iPhone" thread like I did.

I had another play with a friends iPhone yesterday, so I guess you could say I'm one step closer to ponying-up.

I will say though that one thing that does disappoint is not the iPhones' problem as such, but how much the Telcos suck arse. There really isn't a decent plan amongst the lot of them.

SpecialHell
15th September 2008, 01:34 PM
moving from a windows mobile smartphone to the iphone has been heaven. have had no issues at all, and any minor bugs are slowly getting cleared up by apple.. so couldnt be happier. its iphone all way from now on.

only thing i would have liked, that notepad, or SMS texting the screen would rotate when you put it to landscape. gives you a better grip for a two thumb typing. that is one feature i'd love to see.

shihyuan
15th September 2008, 01:41 PM
I am loving my iPhone and the 2.1 firmware release is just "FANTASTIC".
It's not laggying and better reception and maybe better battery life (I haven't use the iPhone often enough to try out the battery life after the update).

Appleaday
15th September 2008, 01:47 PM
The iPhone is the best thing since sliced bread - and has anyone tried to make a phone call using a piece of bread!

silverdreamer
15th September 2008, 02:07 PM
The iPhone is the best thing since sliced bread - and has anyone tried to make a phone call using a piece of bread!

No but apparently they are working on a "Bread slicing" App, should be up on the store anyday! :D

VALANDI
15th September 2008, 03:13 PM
i thionk the iphone truly is the "Jesus" phone... it's gold! and just has everything i can need in a phone!. Also the 2.1 update just made me cream even more and also will get better in time with more and more updates!

snowman
15th September 2008, 03:34 PM
Ever since my first phone has finally been replaced, I'm now quite happy with it!

Chief911
15th September 2008, 06:14 PM
IRONY is its biggest strength (the big screen) is its biggest weakness! got to keep 3 eyes on it at all times, iv had two phones that have had cracked screens and i don't want it to be a third!

anyone managed to crack there screens?

MacRobbo
15th September 2008, 06:59 PM
the iphone has been pretty much rock-solid since 2.1 for me. Extremely happy with it :)

Andrew T Chadwick
15th September 2008, 07:33 PM
Still Phucking brilliant since my last post on this thread.:D:thumbup: