PDA

View Full Version : Data Usage : Used 61mb in 2 days

khalil
13th September 2008, 08:53 PM
Hey Guys,

Had my iphone for for 2 days and have now used 61mb worth of data and not sure how I have used so much.

so far i have downloaded a few wallpapers,added 3 rss feeds which has 90 posts and used safari for general browsing for around 1-2 hours and browsed the app store for about 10mins.

all my apps were downloaded via a pc and itunes

I had pushed turned on and set to fetch manually and now turned it off.

Is this normal? Any settings that I should change to slow down my usage?

jack112006
13th September 2008, 08:54 PM
Have you been using maps alot??? That tends to use a bit of data for the actual pictures.

khalil
13th September 2008, 08:55 PM
I tried to locate myself via gps twice. and maybe had a quick 2-5mins browse in maps.

chrsha01
13th September 2008, 08:56 PM
Have you been using maps alot??? That tends to use a bit of data for the actual pictures.

I thought Google Maps didn't use a lot of data......

matthewk
13th September 2008, 08:57 PM
Say tomorrow, don't go online, ensure mail is not downloading anything at all (ie. set to manual check), and don't go on YouTube. See how that goes.

the_doctor
13th September 2008, 08:58 PM
That is quite alot but people usually use more data in the first few days of getting the iPhone whilst checking out all the features. Your usage should taper off as the novelty factor wears off. Keep an eye on it though and take note of what you are using. Try to use wireless (if you have it) whilst at home.

jack112006
13th September 2008, 09:01 PM
I thought Google Maps didn't use a lot of data......

It depends what view you have selected. Standard Map view uses alot less than Hybrid or Satellite.

chrsha01
13th September 2008, 09:01 PM
What's your data allowance (limit)?

khalil
13th September 2008, 09:02 PM
I think i found my issue, i think it downloaded a huge part of my mailbox for some reason and i remember before it added all my emails onto the phone and started to download my emails.

is there a way to see the size of my mailbox?

edit: limit is 500mb

say i wanted to ensure no data was downloaded at all is there a kill switch to shut off all network data usage?

silverdreamer
13th September 2008, 09:03 PM
Are you using WiFi at home or 3G?

jack112006
13th September 2008, 09:04 PM
I think i found my issue, i think it downloaded a huge part of my mailbox for some reason and i remember before it added all my emails onto the phone and started to download my emails.

is there a way to see the size of my mailbox?

Only the number of emails. Not the actual size in megabytes.

khalil
13th September 2008, 09:05 PM
sometimes 3g, sometimes wifi but I haven't done a lot of browsing at home except on my first day i checked that it worked.

qf380
14th September 2008, 07:07 PM
Odd you say this!!

Because im on Vodafone on a plan without data (i didnt feel i needed it at the time, but i do use it occasionally), and i always keep an eye on the data use. Then suddenly the other day, i looked at the counter, BOOM 61mB, i almost had a heart attack because Vodafone charges 2c a kb when not on data plans!!!

TheChad
14th September 2008, 08:33 PM
Odd you say this!!

Because im on Vodafone on a plan without data (i didnt feel i needed it at the time, but i do use it occasionally), and i always keep an eye on the data use. Then suddenly the other day, i looked at the counter, BOOM 61mB, i almost had a heart attack because Vodafone charges 2c a kb when not on data plans!!!

:eek:

I had to use a calculater!

qf380
14th September 2008, 08:48 PM
WAIT! That cant be right!! i must have read it wrong and it was 6.1mb.

*Suffered small heart attack after using the calculator*

khalil
14th September 2008, 09:09 PM
Did you ring vodafone to check what happend or was it something you were doing.

I think I worked out my problem and only used about 1-2mb today.

qf380
14th September 2008, 09:13 PM
I do plan to ring them tomorow, as the amount of data it downloaded (i forget, like 6.1mb if not more) cost me $86 off my cap, which is ok cause i never go close to my cap, but still i dont want it to happen again!!

Lara will be hearing from me tomorow :p