PDA

View Full Version : Airbus A380

Georgina EG
28th April 2005, 06:35 PM
Flies well but not yet in service, and will be the only plane with two decks and four aisles.

There are all sorts of claims how it will be configured, including having lounges and exercise areas, but at least we know there will be from 555 to 840 passengers.

One pundit has said it has a wing span of 81 metres, a length of 80 metres . . . and a check-in queue of 2 kilometres!

For more information check out this, or Google to Airbus A380 and choose your sites.

http://www.airbus.com/product/a380_backgrounder.asp

You can look inside the cockpit with Quick Time as well

Rayd
28th April 2005, 06:55 PM
this machine looks DAM HEAVY im surprised it can fly! will it be using 2 engines and switch to 4 if it needs to like thte 747 or will it be a constant 4?

spargo
28th April 2005, 06:56 PM
The covered it live on BBC yesterday morning when it took off, and it then cut some laps around the Bay of Biscay and flew back over the Pyranees.. The pilots were so confident with its performance that they did a fly-by of the field, however, I note in the same sentence that they both wore helmets and flight suits and parachutes!!

It was big news here as the wings and some other parts are built in Wales, and then shipped by barge from the factory, down to a sea port where they are shipped to France for assembly - it is a huge multi-national effort to pull this thing together, which has certainly pissed off the competition and trade regulators in the US who are defending the struggling Boeing.

Heathrow is hurriedly increasing its runway length and widening its taxi-ways in preparation for the its arrival from mid-next year when Singapore Air, and later Emirates and Qantas will start flying some of their Aisa/Europe legs with the beast.. I'm definitely coming home on one of these flights!!

There is a rumoured test flight into Heathrow later on this year, which I'll definitely be going to see! The current monstrous Airbus's that Virgin Atlantic and Emirates fly into Heathrow scare the hell out of me at how they simply float along in the air above my apartment in SW London, imagine what this monster will look like as it approaches over the City!

I'll keep the aviation nutters in the Forum posted when it lines up for that first final approach in London...

vargz
28th April 2005, 06:58 PM
Yeah that's one mutha of a big bird. I'd love to fly on it, but the more I watch Air Crash Investigations, the less I wanna set foot on an airliner ever again! :o

spargo
28th April 2005, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by vargz@Apr 28 2005, 09:58 AM
Yeah that's one mutha of a big bird. I'd love to fly on it, but the more I watch Air Crash Investigations, the less I wanna set foot on an airliner ever again! :o
This is gonna be my first game purchase on a Mac, for flying on my PowerBook:

X-Plane 8.0 for Mac (http://www.x-plane.com/)

Apparently you can fly the A380 on this which would be amazing.. I'd be having a go at bringing it into some of the smaller fields like Essendon Airport or Redcliffe aerodrome!!

So while we're (or i'm) talking commercial aircraft and flight simulators for the Mac, can anyone suggest a good USB joystick that works with Mac's, in particular the PowerBook range? I've only ever flown Flight Simulator Professional and a Microsoft Sidewinder 'stick on my old PC, but i've left that in Oz..

Thanks in advance -

kenexx
28th April 2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by ipod_man@Apr 28 2005, 06:55 PM
this machine looks DAM HEAVY im surprised it can fly! will it be using 2 engines and switch to 4 if it needs to like thte 747 or will it be a constant 4?
Ahh the 747 uses all 4 engines all the time as they are designed to do. Same with the A380.
Out of interest the main north/south runway at Tullamarine has been closed the last few weeks and will be for a little while yet as they widen it in preparation for the A380. Qantas has planned its first flts to be on the MEL LAX route. Cant wait - although it wont be much fun when they want to substitute it with a 747 when it falls over on departure :P

scruffie
28th April 2005, 07:15 PM
Wow its huge! It's like the Titanic of the sky! :ph34r:

mac_man_luke
28th April 2005, 07:18 PM
Thats sweet!!

Rayd
28th April 2005, 07:29 PM
oooohhh that makes me think.. "titanic of the sky" :|
is there iceburgs in the middle of the sky?

drewbles
28th April 2005, 07:35 PM
For anyone who's interested in Pics... Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net) has good pictures.

For anyone interested in the semantics and all, there's more to be found on the Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.vpmag.com/yssy/\). It's general Aviation but has a heap of info on the A380

</end off topic>

Drew

Goodbye
28th April 2005, 07:41 PM
I&#39;m an extreme airliner fan, and saw the whole thing live. Just a couple of corrections:

- Airbus A380. (Sorry, it really bugs me when people leave off the leading "A" :P)

- The reason it took off so gracefully is because it was in essence a shell - it had no seats, galleys, toilets etc on board, and it wasn&#39;t carrying any cargo. It took off at about 155kts.

- The crew on any first flight of a new type always wear helmets and parachutes. On the prototype A380-800 F-WWOW there was a door on the right hand side that allowed the pilots to escape should there be an in flight emergency.

- Compared to a 747 it&#39;s only a little wider and longer, but quite a bit higher.

- Its passenger configuration is 555 passengers, however the stretched A380-900 will carry up to 840 passengers.

- Currently 14 airlines have ordered the A380-800 and A380-800F (Freight variant):
Emirates, Air France, China Southern, Etihad (UAE), FedEx, ILFC (International Lease Finance Corporation), Korean Air, Lufthansa, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways International, UPS and Virgin Atlantic.

- It has reverse thrusters on the two inboard (closest to the fuselage) engines only, this is to prevent FOD (Foreign Object Damage) to the aircraft.

- The A380 has pioneered a lot of new innovations in the cockpit - one of which is the ability of the Aircraft&#39;s computer to calculate the precise amount of brakes/reverse thrust that it must use in order to exit the runway at a particular taxiway.

- All of Airbus&#39;s modern airliners (A318, A319, A320, A321, A330, A340, A380) have sidesticks (essentially joysticks used to control the aircraft), and not the conventional yoke used on older aircraft.

Ash :)

hawker
28th April 2005, 07:52 PM
Maybe they can rip all the seats out and pile it with Mac Mini&#39;s, iPod Shuffles and Tiger and get it to Australia....

scruffie
28th April 2005, 08:11 PM
Hahaha, a mobile Apple store&#33; Two stories of apple goodness. And dont forget the Genius Bar. Awesome&#33;

mdmcholet
28th April 2005, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by spargo@Apr 28 2005, 07:09 PM
So while we&#39;re (or i&#39;m) talking commercial aircraft and flight simulators for the Mac, can anyone suggest a good USB joystick that works with Mac&#39;s, in particular the PowerBook range? I&#39;ve only ever flown Flight Simulator Professional and a Microsoft Sidewinder &#39;stick on my old PC, but i&#39;ve left that in Oz..

Thanks in advance -
Spargo - my hubby plays X-Plane 8 and uses a Logitech Cordless Joystick (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/AU/EN,CRID=2221,CONTENTID=5032)

Cheers

AusMac
28th April 2005, 10:01 PM
Yes there are icebergs in the sky. Excepting that they fall downwards rather than float sideways. They are much smaller but can still cause many problems to aircraft.

spargo
28th April 2005, 10:02 PM
Thanks for that mdmcholet..

I assume the Mac version of X-Plane will take most USB &#39;sticks - i&#39;ll shop around to see what&#39;s on offer here.

Georgina EG
28th April 2005, 10:31 PM
Sorry about not calling it the A380, it hit me too when I switched back on.

Has anyone been to the observation platform on top of Terminal 2 at Heathrow? Well worth a visit on the Piccadilly Line or if you have an hour or so to spare before take-off. The last time I was there in late 2002 there was an aircraft fanatic&#39;s shop on the roof.

Goodbye
1st May 2005, 09:22 AM
Georgina: The observation area has been closed unfortunately...due to "September 11". They are sooo stupid. Surely it&#39;s better to have everyone in one place and spotting planes, where they can keep an eye on everyone, than scattered around the perimeter of the airport?

Stupid stupid stupid.

hawker
1st May 2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by scruffie@Apr 28 2005, 07:41 PM
Hahaha, a mobile Apple store&#33; Two stories of apple goodness. And dont forget the Genius Bar. Awesome&#33;
I think we&#39;re onto something here ;)

Georgina EG
1st May 2005, 04:27 PM
What a terrible shame about the observation platform closing. I can&#39;t quite imagine someone taking a shoulder SAM (surface to air missile) to Heathrow and not be seen, there is much more chance of terrorist attack from outside the airport under the flightpaths. Perhaps that&#39;s the problem, observe the aircraft taking off and pass on the information.

AusMac
1st May 2005, 04:32 PM
well think about it.. a suicide bomber only needs to crawl up into a wheel well in Karachi.. Sure, he will be dead on arrival but his bomb can have a timer set to explode in the supermarket carpark nearest Heathrow.

the_OM
1st May 2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by AusMac@May 1 2005, 04:32 PM
well think about it.. a suicide bomber only needs to crawl up into a wheel well in Karachi.. Sure, he will be dead on arrival but his bomb can have a timer set to explode in the supermarket carpark nearest Heathrow.
Don&#39;t they have sensor&#39;s and things like that to prevent something like that happening nowadays?

AusMac
1st May 2005, 04:40 PM
nope, it still happens

the_OM
1st May 2005, 04:44 PM
When?
I haven&#39;t heard anything like that happening recently. Although I&#39;m probably out of the loop on this.

It&#39;s a pretty scary thought that they don&#39;t have anything in place in places like Karachi to stop it.

kim jong il
1st May 2005, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by the_OM@May 1 2005, 04:44 PM
When?
I haven&#39;t heard anything like that happening recently. Although I&#39;m probably out of the loop on this.

It&#39;s a pretty scary thought that they don&#39;t have anything in place in places like Karachi to stop it.
Hi the_OM I too decided that this was perilously close to bullshit but BEFORE posting decided to google it. (Google is your friend (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&lr=lang_en&q=wheel+well+dead&as_q=plane&btnG=Search within results)) I was amazed at how common stowing away in wheel arches seems to be or at least how often it has happened. One common factor seems to be the ultimate death of the stowaway from suffocation (wheel wells are not pressurised).

kim

Georgina EG
1st May 2005, 06:42 PM
I think terrorists prefer to die in style and travel inside the plane.

AusMac
2nd May 2005, 12:04 AM
terrorists idea of death in style is being able to take the 72 virgins with them in the blast off.

AusMac
2nd May 2005, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by kim jong il@May 1 2005, 06:06 PM
Hi the_OM I too decided that this was perilously close to bullshit but BEFORE posting decided to google it. (Google is your friend (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&lr=lang_en&q=wheel+well+dead&as_q=plane&btnG=Search within results)) I was amazed at how common stowing away in wheel arches seems to be or at least how often it has happened. One common factor seems to be the ultimate death of the stowaway from suffocation (wheel wells are not pressurised).

kim
Yes unfortunately the reason this occurs is simply that there are maybe up to six boys born in the average Pakistani family and it would be good fortune if one of those boys ends up getting a job.
There really is nothing for these young lads.. Nothing except risking death to get a free ride to somewhere where there may be a job, work, money = advancement for them.

Sadly they never find their new world as a stowaway.. They arrive in their new world as an unceremonious ice block landing in the car park as the planes undercarriage is lowered on approach.
Life is different from the Rudyard Kipling days.

While an international dispute rages over the use of armed sky marshals on flights into the U.S., consider the potential terrorist threat from another place on the airplane, outside of the fuselage. The body of a man was found in the wheel well of a British Airways jet that landed Dec. 31 at New York&#39;s John F. Kennedy International Airport after a flight from London&#39;s Heathrow. Investigators believe the unfortunate stowaway, a man in his 30s, crept into the wheel well when the aircraft was at Lagos, Nigeria, Dec. 22. The week before, another dead stowaway, a man in his 20s, was found in the wheel well of an American Airlines A300 that had flown to JFK from Jamaica (see Dec. 30 entry). To be sure, these desperate young men probably have no idea of the mortal risk they run from hypoxia and hypothermia. But if a desperate emigrant can sneak into a wheel well - apparently so easily - what is to prevent a suicidal terrorist from doing the same, bringing along an altitude or time-triggered bomb? The nether recesses of a main gear wheel can be dark places. Pilots doing their usual preflight walkaround inspections tend to be more concerned with tire condition, a lack of leaks, the firm attachment of access panels and whatnot. They are not likely to look closely in the main wheel well - unless instructed to.

Oh and by the way, I was told by a mod here that my attitude was condescending for inviting people to read the newspapers.
Where&#39;s the "doh" smiley?

the_OM
2nd May 2005, 01:24 AM
We only read the sports section ;)

But that is some scary shit, I will now be asking next time I fly if the under carriage has been checked for stow-aways.

AusMac
2nd May 2005, 01:53 AM
good point. http://white-hart.net/images/smiles/thumbsup.gif

Georgina EG
3rd May 2005, 07:54 PM
When you check in, ask if the wheel arch has been checked out and see what response you would get. But then, considering the more likely reasons for aircraft coming down are human error, just about any improperly conducted service can result in fatalities.

Have you seen the Channel 7 programme "Air Crash Investigations?" Scary stuff especially if you&#39;re about to fly.

Georgina EG
6th May 2005, 10:51 PM
And if you are about to fly and want to know which are the best and worst seats on any particular aircraft and airline, check out the following link which gives plans and comments etc:-

http://www.seatguru.com

Also if you would like to know what crews eat and some interesting comments about the food from someone with the pseudonym Captain Haggis on BA who is probably a Scot, check out:-

http://www.airlinemeals.net/indexCrew.html

OziMac
15th November 2005, 12:28 AM
Anyone see the A380 at Melbourne Airport today?

Managed to glimpse it totally by surprise flying over Port Phillip Bay. Amazing to see in flight (more amazing that something that huge actually flies).

Would have loved to have been able to pop in to the airport to see it close up in the flesh, but sadly Tullamarine is too far for a quick outing for me. :)

3dward_Shaddow
15th November 2005, 12:37 AM
I for one have been waiting for the day that wonderful air-ships, as shown in a lot of Hayao Miyazaki&#39;s work, to be flying overhead. Maybe this is the begining?
*crosses fingers* :D

spargo
15th November 2005, 12:43 AM
I have been following the growing collection of photos of this monster, on Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/), which is a fantastic resource site for those interested in this stuff..

Click here (http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?aircraft_genericsearch=Airbus%20A380&aircraftsearch=) to see the collection of the latest images from its tour to Asia and Australia, including many of it sporting the Qantas livery applied while it was in Qantas Hanger #3 in Brisbane.

http://www.airliners.net/photos/small/6/7/0/959076.jpg

There&#39;s even a shot of the cockpit that some lucky duck scored while it was in Singapore:
http://www.airliners.net/photos/small/0/9/7/957790.jpg
Click here for the large version of this image (http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=957790&size=L&width=1000&height=679&sok=JURER%20%20%28nvepensg_trarevp%20%3D%20%27Nveo hf%20N380%27%29%20%20beqre%20ol%20cubgb_vq%20QRFP&photo_nr=35&prev_id=958063&next_id=957553), including comments that the computer system screens are running Windows - arrgghh&#33;&#33; Blue screen of death takes on a whole new meaning&#33;&#33; And also check out the camera shot from the top of the rear tail, looking forwards/down over the front of the aircraft - amazing&#33;

I can&#39;t beleive i&#39;m still waiting for it to do a test run into Heathrow&#33;&#33; I guess that landing slots here are far too expensive to waste on a test run just yet..

Georgina EG
15th November 2005, 12:45 AM
So when do you think we&#39;ll get something really big in the manner of the saucer in Star Trek?

Some years ago an Italian aeronautical magazine proposed that flying saucers were in fact a secret British invention, if so, I&#39;m looking forward to them flying out here from Heathrow, part of a tea service perhaps?

Fascinating how big chunks of metal can fly, though of course the Airbus A380 is lighter than it might have been because some aluminium sections are laminated with fibreglass. Also makes it less likely to suffer catastrophic stress fractures especially towards the tail.

Edit: Hey Spargo, are you an aeroplane fan, the A380&#39;s cockpit is quite a work station don&#39;t you think? I well remember when the first Jumbo came to Adelaide, thousands of people queued up to take a look on board, I don&#39;t know if they expected it to have lounges, bars and swimming pools. I&#39;m sure that many were disappointed that it wasn&#39;t quite the size of a ship.

spargo
15th November 2005, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Georgina EG@Nov 14 2005, 01:45 PM

Edit: Hey Spargo, are you an aeroplane fan, the A380&#39;s cockpit is quite a work station don&#39;t you think?

Let&#39;s just say if I wasn&#39;t a town planner, I&#39;d be a commercial pilot.. ;)

asphotos
15th November 2005, 07:44 AM
http://static.flickr.com/33/63321276_8bc98a6b10_o.jpg

my effort, over sydney harbour, I left my BIG lens at home, this is my 200 f2.8 and a 1.4x tele converter.

it was big, and very quiet.

Goodbye
15th November 2005, 08:23 AM
It sure is quite a sight. I&#39;m heading down to Brisbane tomorrow to see it leave back to Asia. I&#39;m an aircraft fan too. Why else would I travel a whole hour just to see a plane? :P

spilla
15th November 2005, 08:26 AM
any ideas on when it will be travelling to the US? particually NY?

spargo
15th November 2005, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by asphotos@Nov 14 2005, 08:44 PM

my effort, over sydney harbour, I left my BIG lens at home, this is my 200 f2.8 and a 1.4x tele converter.

it was big, and very quiet.
top shot asphotos&#33;

Goodbye
15th November 2005, 08:47 AM
I don&#39;t think travelling to the US was as pressing as coming down here, simply because there are no airlines there interested in it. However as Qantas, Emirates, Singapore etc will be using it to Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York it might make the trip across the pond soon.

spilla
15th November 2005, 08:48 AM
when will this be coming into service for the jfk-syd or lax-syd routes?

spargo
15th November 2005, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by spilla@Nov 14 2005, 09:48 PM
when will this be coming into service for the jfk-syd or lax-syd routes?
Goodbye may know more details, but I would assume it would depend on whether Qantas would allocate their A380 aircraft to the cross-Pacific routes when they get them. But I don&#39;t think this is happening..

I was of the understanding that they were going to first use them to go to Europe via Asia, and keep their 747-400&#39;s for their U.S. routes and also their Sth Africa & Nth Asia flights. This has probably more to do with the fact that Emirates and Sing Air are getting theirs just before Qantas, and therefore that&#39;s who they&#39;ll have to compete with when they get their first A380&#39;s -

Goodbye
15th November 2005, 11:47 AM
Spargo is correct. Qantas plan on using them first on the Kangaroo route - Sydney-Bangkok-London, then branching out from there. I&#39;d say the A380 to the US would only go to LAX, keeping the 747-400s on the SYD-LAX-JFK route, but I&#39;m not too sure.

gmask1
15th November 2005, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Goodbye@Nov 15 2005, 10:47 AM
Spargo is correct. Qantas plan on using them first on the Kangaroo route - Sydney-Bangkok-London, then branching out from there. I&#39;d say the A380 to the US would only go to LAX, keeping the 747-400s on the SYD-LAX-JFK route, but I&#39;m not too sure.
Isn&#39;t that the QF1 route? I&#39;ve done that route a couple of times - the Sydney - Bangkok - London route meets up with a Melbourne - Bangkok - Paris flight, always been busy.

Imagine unloading everyone in Bangkok&#33; I don&#39;t think they will have enough buses to ferry everyone into the terminal...

t0fler
15th November 2005, 12:12 PM
has anyone considerd the ridiculous logistics required to get 800 people onto a plane?

964RSCS
15th November 2005, 12:47 PM
I just happened to be out at the airport thismorning when it flew into Brisbane for the second time&#33;&#33;&#33;

Certainly a big bit of gear, but I was more surprised by how quiet it is.