PDA

View Full Version : Installing OS X from network

Byrd
20th May 2004, 09:35 AM
Hello,

I've recently resurrected my clamshell iBook 300 (thanks to mivory in the FS section :)), and am keen to install OS X 10.3 onto it. I know it won't be that speedy, but with a new 20GB HD and 288MB of RAM, it should handle it OK.

The problem is that my iBook has a flaky CD drive which refuses to read some CDs, which of course means my 10.3 install discs (which work fine on any other machine) refuse to install OS X. I've cleaned the CD lens, which makes it a bit better, but still dies halfway during the install.

The iBook has been updated to the latest firmware, and by holding down 'N' at startup I can get a flashing netboot icon.

How can I ...
- Install OS X via netboot onto the iBook, if I have the CD mounted onto my B&W G3 (using a crossover cable between the two machines). I'm fairly new to OS X, so am unsure how to share the drive to let the iBook detect and boot from it.

- If not, can I install OS X onto the 20GB HD on my B&W, connected by a 2.5"--> 3.5" adaptor, then plug it back into the iBook? Would I install a lot of superfluous crap by doing this?

Thanks,

JB

cmetom
20th May 2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by bYrd@May 20 2004, 10:35 AM

I've recently resurrected my clamshell iBook 300 (thanks to mivory in the FS section :)), and am keen to install OS X 10.3 onto it. I know it won't be that speedy, but with a new 20GB HD and 288MB of RAM, it should handle it OK.

- If not, can I install OS X onto the 20GB HD on my B&W, connected by a 2.5"--> 3.5" adaptor, then plug it back into the iBook? Would I install a lot of superfluous crap by doing this?

hello,

I reckon it WILL be speedy, or at least more than you think!!

anyway, i don't know how to do the network thing (i'm quite new to OSX), but from what I've seen, and my limited knowledge, I'd say there's a nice chance of the hdd-swap-thing working. don't forget - the best way to know is to try!!

good luck,
Tom

Currawong
20th May 2004, 11:05 AM
From my lousy knowledge of these things, you need a Software Restore image of the CD and Mac OS X Server.

Byrd
20th May 2004, 11:57 AM
Googling around, yep it appears netboot is mainly for diskless workstations, enabled by running netboot client software under OS X Server. The same software also appears to be used for remote administration and software patching. Alas, simply sharing a bootable CD is all I want, but seems to be quite hard to achieve. Quite annoying that you can't install OS X without a CD drive.

I've another iBook CD drive here, looks pretty shabby but will try that first. What deters me from removing the HD and sticking it in the B&W is that's it's a right royal bastard to remove. But, will likely try that in the end.

cmetom> I don't think it'll run OS X that slowly either - it's fine on my B&W 400, and all this machine will be used for is web/email/Office tasks by my girlfriend.

Edit: post on the MacNN forums: All installs of 10.3 are the same. This isn't windows. OS X doesn't reconfigure itself for your machine in the install process. You could even do an install on some other hard drive, use carbon copy cloner to copy it to a bootable disk image, and then carbon copy clone it back to the lombard.

So might be right :)

cmetom
20th May 2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by bYrd@May 20 2004, 12:57 PM
"This isn't windows."
this is the best part of the whole product! B)

pipsqeek
20th May 2004, 06:13 PM
Edit: post on the MacNN forums: All installs of 10.3 are the same. This isn't windows. OS X doesn't reconfigure itself for your machine in the install process. You could even do an install on some other hard drive, use carbon copy cloner to copy it to a bootable disk image, and then carbon copy clone it back to the lombard.

So might be right

I asked about this particular topic a while back and the majority of responses leaned towards not being able to do it as the machines do vary.

I looked into it further and found some pdf's to download from Apple regarding OS X Server information, setting up networks for schools, along those lines. And it mentioned in the document that you would require different images for a netboot for different machines.

I can't remember how I found the document, I just searched Apple.com for airport/networks/etc..

Still it could work.

Steve

LCGuy
20th May 2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by cmetom+May 20 2004, 03:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cmetom @ May 20 2004, 03:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bYrd@May 20 2004, 12:57 PM
"This isn&#39;t windows."
this is the best part of the whole product&#33; B) [/b][/quote]
I agree&#33; God Windows pisses me off... :angry:

Currawong
20th May 2004, 07:52 PM
If you really want, when I go to the second hand Mac shop here in Fukuoka, I&#39;ll pick an iBook CD-ROM up for you, but it&#39;ll probably be expensive ;)

Last time I went to the shop, I had ran out of space on my camera for pictures, but what they have is quite amazing.

No doubt there&#39;s a way to hack in an external CD-ROM to an iBook if you google for it.

mbd
23rd May 2004, 07:04 PM
Have a look at NetRestore;

http://www.bombich.com/software/netrestore.html

It might enable you to do what you want - You might need to get a working mac with 10.3.x, do a clone image of it, and then you should be able to restore that image onto the ibook via a network mounted disk...

Byrd
25th May 2004, 06:47 PM
Thanks for all this - I ended up getting 10.3 onto my iBook by backing up the 10.3 CDs onto fresh CD-Rs - there were minor scratches on the original CDs which the sensitive CD drive didn&#39;t like one bit.

BTW, 10.3 is quite impressive on this lowly machine - perhaps because of a slight boost using a better-than-usual AGP graphics card (4MB ATI Rage). Next up, I&#39;ll overclock the 300Mhz G3 to 400 - according to XLR8 it&#39;s a guaranteed overclock - this&#39;ll be enough for DivX playback&#33;

JB

Marina
19th July 2004, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by bYrd@May 20 2004, 11:57 AM

Edit: post on the MacNN forums: All installs of 10.3 are the same. This isn&#39;t windows. OS X doesn&#39;t reconfigure itself for your machine in the install process. You could even do an install on some other hard drive, use carbon copy cloner to copy it to a bootable disk image, and then carbon copy clone it back to the lombard.

Hi,

after reading this thread I&#39;ve tried the procedure with CCC from my Powerbook to my iBook G3 500, only for testing purposes.

And I&#39;ve been very surprised about the result, it is so like you&#39;ve said: fantastic what V10.3 pulls out of my lovely two year old iBook&#33;

Thanks for your thread opening, answers and bringing the solution to me.

m. :)

---

cmetom: "...the best way to know is to try&#33;&#33;