PDA

View Full Version : 1st Gen iPHone & Optus PrePaid Wireless.

titan44
12th September 2008, 04:33 PM
I just noticed Optus's PrePaid Wireless Plans, (Pre-Pay, no contract $30 for 2GB).
Any mobile guru's here know if this would work with a 1st Gen iPhone (for tethering) rather than coughing up another $200 for the HSDPA USB stick?

decryption
12th September 2008, 05:35 PM
It will work - but you'll only get GPRS speeds (i.e: a messenger pigeon service is faster), as the 1st Gen iPhone only supports GSM/GPRS/EDGE and Optus doesn't do EDGE (just Telstra and even EDGE is slow as piss)

titan44
12th September 2008, 05:39 PM
Cool, thanks decryption, as long as it'll work.

decryption
12th September 2008, 05:59 PM
Also note - you can't recieve phone calls while you're using it. Because the SIM attached to your phone number will need to be taken out of the iPhone and the pre-paid broadband SIM placed in the phone to use the cheap data.

VALANDI
14th September 2008, 09:31 PM
hmmm hold up a sec, so does this mean that with my 3 sim card in my iphone that has a 2gb data allowance a month i can use it in my 3 wireless modem stick and acheive the same result as the simcard currently in it?

decryption
14th September 2008, 09:52 PM
hmmm hold up a sec, so does this mean that with my 3 sim card in my iphone that has a 2gb data allowance a month i can use it in my 3 wireless modem stick and acheive the same result as the simcard currently in it?

Yep! But remember, if there's no SIM card on your phone, if someone tries to call you, they'll hit voicemail.