PDA

View Full Version : Quicktime 7 Released

iSlayer
28th April 2005, 02:01 PM
Apple have released Quicktime 7 Today
Its availible to buy from the apple store for $44.95
"With QuickTime 7 Pro, you can capture movies in a single click, share movies via email or .Mac, create stunning H.264 video, and much more"

MacMatt
28th April 2005, 02:09 PM
Wouldn't that mean a download (for Panther etc.) soon, maybe tomorrow?

And then, wouldn't that require a new iTunes?

hawker
28th April 2005, 02:11 PM
Something will happen soon. Althought Apple are expecting most people to upgrade to Tiger, and QuickTime 7 will be right at home within Tiger...

MacMatt
28th April 2005, 02:15 PM
Then again, I can't download neither Quicktime 6 or iTunes 4.7.1.

Is it only me? or does one think new downloads are coming?

aeon
28th April 2005, 02:16 PM
hmm... I wonder when a Windows version will be available...

OziMac
28th April 2005, 02:18 PM
Looks like it's time to pay again for Quicktime Pro... I can't remember how much I spent last time, but for some reason I have a feeling this is more expensive...?

It appears that Quicktime 7 Player (not Pro) will be available to download tomorrow... is this a free download for non-Tiger Mac OS X? Hmm...

Squozen
28th April 2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@Apr 28 2005, 02:18 PM
Looks like it's time to pay again for Quicktime Pro... I can't remember how much I spent last time, but for some reason I have a feeling this is more expensive...?
QuickTime 6 Pro cost me $59.

For proof, check the Windows QT 6 Pro key on the store, which hasn't been updated yet:

QuickTime Pro Win Single Access Key ESD

Upgrade QuickTime Player to QuickTime Pro, the key to Internet-ready audio and video, including MPEG-4, the new digital media standard. Purchase now to instantly receive your electronic key and begin using the advanced features of QuickTime Pro.
***This is for Windows users.***
Only available through credit card purchase online.
Price
A$ 59.00

*runs to order his QT 7 Pro key*

OziMac
28th April 2005, 02:36 PM
I'll take your word for it Squozen - has been quite a few years (around 3ish years from memory?)... :)

Squozen
28th April 2005, 02:50 PM
I have my key, *joy*.

I've played with QuickTime 7 - it's great. The only thing I want to see from Apple now is the ability for the player to download codecs for DiVX and other standards instead of complaining that it can't understand the format. I'd also like to be able to switch back and forth between a window on the primary monitor and full-screen on the secondary monitor like VLC can. Maybe that's possible, I haven't looked into it that deeply.

Oh, another thing occurs to me. Is this fee lower than the QT6 key because the H.264 licence is more affordable than the MPEG-4 one, or is Apple eating part of the costs to try to push H.264 out to as many independent content creators as possible? My guess is the latter, and they're serious about making this the year of HD...

feeze
28th April 2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@Apr 28 2005, 02:18 PM
It appears that Quicktime 7 Player (not Pro) will be available to download tomorrow... is this a free download for non-Tiger Mac OS X? Hmm...
I highly doubt that Apple will make Quictime 7 exclusive to Tiger. That would be very, very stupid.

Most likely Quicktime 7 will not be available until Saturday as I would imagine that Apple would coincide the launch of iTunes 4.8 and Quicktime 7 with tha launch of Tiger in the US. Although the 28th is the anniversary of the iTunes music store, so they might release iTunes on the 28th.

schibeci
28th April 2005, 03:12 PM
From http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Squozen
28th April 2005, 03:53 PM
I wonder how much of the Tiger smoothness will be lost when running QT7 on Panther?

feeze
28th April 2005, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Squozen@Apr 28 2005, 03:53 PM
I wonder how much of the Tiger smoothness will be lost when running QT7 on Panther?
Probally about as much as running QT7 on Windows, if not less. I don't think there will much of a difference bewteen QT7 on Tiger and other OS's.

chrismclay
28th April 2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Squozen@Apr 28 2005, 02:50 PM
The only thing I want to see from Apple now is the ability for the player to download codecs for DiVX and other standards instead of complaining that it can't understand the format.
Quicktime (and Apple) offers this feature, but DiVX has not taken advantage of the service and signed up with Apple. I don't recall what the cost is, but there are plenty of 3rd party codecs which Quicktime will download and install for you.

rob05
28th April 2005, 05:16 PM
Hi

Here is just a little bit more info as I have just purchased QT Pro 7

Please note:
QuickTime 7 Pro works only with QuickTime 7, which is available for Tiger and Panther starting April 29, 2005. Be sure you have installed QuickTime 7 before you type in your new QuickTime 7 Pro key.

:)

kit
28th April 2005, 06:09 PM
I just wish there WERE more QT codecs!

The Intel Indeo codecs are only available for OS 9! You can get a WMP codec for it, but it's not free, and that's useless for most people.

DivX, being open, as with 3viX should be included in QT by default. I guess they want to push their chosen compression standard, but most people just have QT Player and not Pro.

Think about it; Quicktime is one of the most popular downloads on the internet, on almost every computer on either platform. Imagine how nice it'd be if it played EVERYTHING (that was free and open, anyway - the VLC codecs)! You'd have Windows and Mac users turning TO QT instead of instinctively AWAY from it.

Of course, they'd have to stop QT from being annoying by default on PCs.

matreya
28th April 2005, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by kit@Apr 28 2005, 06:09 PM
DivX, being open, as with 3viX should be included in QT by default. I guess they want to push their chosen compression standard, but most people just have QT Player and not Pro.

Maybe the MPEG people prohibited Apple from supporting mpeg4-a-likes (xvid, divx) in it's licensing agreement?

BTW, VLC doesn't work 100% in Tiger.

Squozen
28th April 2005, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by feeze@Apr 28 2005, 04:07 PM
Probally about as much as running QT7 on Windows, if not less. I don't think there will much of a difference bewteen QT7 on Tiger and other OS's.
QT7 on Tiger is based upon Core Video, so I definitely expect to see a difference. In one of the developer videos they showed HDTV streams running at 60 frames a second, which they said was impossible without the Core Video framework.

Matreya, are you running VLC 0.8.2? It's just stable enough for me to deal with until the devs fix whatever's broken.

Phillip
28th April 2005, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Squozen@Apr 28 2005, 03:53 PM
Not Much. You will see performance dive a little I assume if you already have a high end graphics card that runs CoreImage. Since QuickTime takes advantage of CoreImage, you might not get the same performance you might get over a large video file under Panther, because Tiger has CoreImage and Panther doesn't. If your Mac isn't fully CoreImage compatible, then I would assume it would be pretty much the same.

On Windows however, it would another story. I just hope QuickTime 7 on Windows doesn't suck as much as the current version on Windows.

Heres a screenie for those who haven't seen the QuickTime 7 Interface. It looks like the app has been completely rewritten which is awesome :)

MizuInOz
28th April 2005, 09:00 PM
OK...

A few hints about QT 7...

It is a rewrite from the ground up... long explanation.... has to do with Core Services...Short version .... it has to do with the way Core Services are written and interface in 10.4...

You will see remarkable differences with Tiger and QT PRO...

goto Technical Notes on QuickTime in the developers "arena" ('http://developer.apple.com/technicalnotes/QuickTime/index.html')

and you will get a hint at the complexities of the new build...

When Steve Jobs... you know him, I presume... said it was brand new, he wasn't just talking about his surgery scars...

If you want the FULL benefit of QT 7, buy 10.4 (Tiger) and upgrade to PRO... you will be glad that you did...

DJY
29th April 2005, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Squozen@Apr 28 2005, 07:25 PM
Matreya, are you running VLC 0.8.2? It's just stable enough for me to deal with until the devs fix whatever's broken.
Did you mean 0.8.1?
That is the version I have and the version listed at Version Tracker... or was there a release that I missed?