PDA

View Full Version : I am picking up my New baby tomorrow!!

Luvlimum
11th September 2008, 11:46 PM
I can't believe it! After so many set backs and dramas - I will be picking up my new baby tomorrow. born at 20" and weighing 2.66Ghz - loaded with Parallel, XP, and Final Cut express, along with a bunch of other wonderful things, I think I am a proud Mac mum! As a single mum getting the money for this puppy was such a difficult thing to do!

But, in saying all that, I am a PC girl through and through! I design databases in Access, and my home business in all in Word 2007 and the like, but I have never run PC stuff on a Mac, never owned a Mac and am terrified that I will get lost in that huge screen of goodies!

I have no doubt that I will be hanging around here like the proverbial bad smell and asking all sorts of questions! I am told that you are all a great bunch and are very helpful.

Ooooh - can't wait!
L xx

Reubania
11th September 2008, 11:48 PM
Wishing you an easy delivery! :thumbup:

matthewk
11th September 2008, 11:51 PM
Wishing you an easy delivery! :thumbup:

Ohh that's a pretty big unit, slim, but still big. Could be painful.

macsyd
11th September 2008, 11:53 PM
Welcome, enjoy your new baby and enjoy MacTalk!

Luvlimum
11th September 2008, 11:54 PM
Thanks for that ..... It was a difficult birth I'm telling ya ... I have been in labour with this baby since May. Every time I got the funds, something happened. This time eye surgery!!! But no point in getting a Mac if I can't see it! LOL! So I borrowed the last bit I needed and decided to get her and bring her home!

Now I just need to get some more business to pay for her! LOL!

L

Reubania
11th September 2008, 11:55 PM
She will be expensive...

What do you plan to call her?

Luvlimum
11th September 2008, 11:57 PM
She cost me $2,660. I haven't thought of a name yet, but I sure wish I could get a baby bonus for her! LOL! I am worried that I might find it all too hard to find my way around and hate it? Such a big outlay for me. I am actually really nervous. Just like all new mums - LOL!

L

Reubania
12th September 2008, 12:02 AM
But like all new mums....they grow to love and cherish their baby...and watch it grow up...it will be baby steps, but you find that it will be second nature ;)

Luvlimum
12th September 2008, 12:07 AM
Yes, very true indeed. I hope she grows nicely and makes her mummy lots of money! LOL! Well, I'm off to bed so I can go pick up my new baby! Thanks Reubania. I feel like I have been warmly welcomed into my new mothers group already! LOL!

Goodnight L

Reubania
12th September 2008, 12:09 AM
Let Mother Reubania and Mother Decryption look after you ;)

Enjoy your new love and make sure to post pictures of your newborn for us to see!!!

Macca with a Mac
12th September 2008, 11:53 AM
I am worried that I might find it all too hard to find my way around and hate it?
L

I'll bet that you're going to find it very easy finding your way around. Sure, some things will work differently than in Windows, they might be named differently and are in different places but after a little while your mindset is going to change and it'll all come easy.

I was converted to Mac just over a year ago and I just couldn't go back to Windows (shudder).

I'd like to see a post here from you in 6 months time with your long-term impressions. I reckon I know what it's going to say... :D

uncyherb
12th September 2008, 12:11 PM
Think of Mactalk as your mother's group from now on... the pressure of a new bub can be hard to deal with an make little issues seem like the end of the world. We're here to tell you which hassles are normal and easily dealt with, and which issues are worth consulting a paediatrician over.

For the most part, the mother's group here will be able to solve 99% of the worries... and you'll appreciate your new bub even more with a happy mindset.

Scooterpig
12th September 2008, 05:52 PM
Congrats for the new addition to your family Luvlimum, ya got me jealous now...:D

Why not add your web site link in your profile so members can visit and check out and hopefully add to your business..:)

timothy
12th September 2008, 05:57 PM
[QUOTE= I am told that you are all a great bunch and are very helpful.

Ooooh - can't wait!
L xx[/QUOTE]

GeoffP
12th September 2008, 06:09 PM
Yes, very true indeed. I hope she grows nicely and makes her mummy lots of money! LOL! Well, I'm off to bed so I can go pick up my new baby! Thanks Reubania. I feel like I have been warmly welcomed into my new mothers group already! LOL!

Goodnight L

Welcome aboard Luvlimum,

You will have a fantastic weekend filled with many discoveries using your new "baby".

It took me about a month before I was reasonably proficient on my mac - however I am still learning and grinning more every day. My journey began mid March and will continue for ever and a day...

The fantastic ppl here at MacTalk will provide unlimited support (and a shoulder to cry on when your "baby" keeps you up in the middle of the night).

Enjoy :D

Ozi
12th September 2008, 06:33 PM
Three words for you:

"Pelvic Floor Exercises." :P

Good buy, Lovli!

Gio
12th September 2008, 07:04 PM
Ahh how can we ever forget that feeling. Food tastes better, flowers smell sweeter, Music just fills your head.. oh for those heady days again

with apoligies to Don Walker. "She would take 10 years off the end of her life just to buy her first new mac again.."
(Cold Chisel, Misfits 1978)

davall46
12th September 2008, 07:30 PM
... and I didn't even know you were pregnant!:rolleyes:

Eato73
13th September 2008, 10:17 AM
Congrats on the new "baby". I'm sure you will have more fun than not and do better business.

Luvlimum
13th September 2008, 04:25 PM
My baby is beautiful indeed. Although, when I finally unwrapped her I thought there was something missing! WHERE IS MY CPU?? I have a head but no body!!! See, I told you I was VERY NEW to Mac! It was well after midnight and I felt we both needed to re-aquaint ourselves in the morning. A quick call to my mate Shane and he reassured me that it was all there sitting behind the beautiful big screen!

It is now, let me check my dashboard, lol! 4.04pm and I have managed to find my way around enough to load Office 2007 onto my Parallel desktop - It really does look just like my old XP - The comfort factor was a blessed moment indeed! Of course finding the CD Rom was no mean feat either. My baby is definitely a girl!

My first download was a Mac version of MSN (as a priority of course). I managed to get my email accounts setup, but still need to work out how to add my business logo and signature.

I am a Left AND right mouse clicker from way back and finally managed to get my little one to burb from on a left click and fart on a right click - yay!

Before I actually get down to doing some real paid work, I thought I'd have a look at adding some images from my USB stick to iPhotos - ya think? How do I find where that thing is? I am looking for the "browse" button to find the path to my USB but I have not managed to work that one out yet.

I am frustrated and emotional. I don't know this child at all. I am way out of my comfort zone, and keep popping into Parallel just to see "My Desktop" and all my fave icons sitting there.

I will try and get my avatar working when I work out how to get it off the stick. This is tough!

How long do the Mac baby blues last?

T

cosmichobo
13th September 2008, 04:29 PM
Upon insertion, a USB or firewire drive automatically mounts onto the desktop.

It will also most likely be visible on the left hand sidebar of Finder windows.

No need to go hunting... it's right there ready to go.

Hope you've taken heaps of pics and video of your new baby. I had a 3min compilation made of my son within 24 hours of his birth... :)

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/10/38209-announcing-james-roy-hobo.html#post374383

Luvlimum
13th September 2008, 04:33 PM
Its coming up as windows Explorer in the dock? It does not appear anywhere on the Desktop?

Luvlimum
13th September 2008, 04:36 PM
I had to shut down parallel - now I see it on the desktop. eeeich!

matthewk
13th September 2008, 04:38 PM
Office 2007 onto my Parallel desktop - It really does look just like my old XP - The comfort factor was a blessed moment indeed!

You'll find within a couple of days the only reason you'll open Parralels is for Office 2007, the Mac version is so underpowered in comparison.

I am a Left AND right mouse clicker from way back and finally managed to get my little one to burb from on a left click and fart on a right click - yay!

Don't even bother with Apple's mouse, do your self a favour and get any el cheapo mouse to go with it. Or treat yourself and get the MX Revolution. (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/130&cl=us,en)

Before I actually get down to doing some real paid work, I thought I'd have a look at adding some images from my USB stick to iPhotos - ya think? How do I find where that thing is? I am looking for the "browse" button to find the path to my USB but I have not managed to work that one out yet.

You can just drag and drop into iPhoto. Or go File > Import to Library.

But don't use iPhoto for any serious work, its not suitable and there are better options for photo management. But if you do use iPhoto, keep a backup of the database, iPhoto has a habit of sometimes not being able to open your library suddenly. Hence backup and the best bet to start out is time machine:

Get yourself a HDD, either 500GB or 1TB and plug it into your iMac. When you do a pop-up will come up and select "use for timemachine" (or something to that effect).

Luvlimum
13th September 2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks - all sorted!

ClockWork
13th September 2008, 04:47 PM
Mum - forget Directories - forget the concept of Filing Cabinets set in alphabetical orders - erase all this from your mind, as you would erase Manual Gears from Automatic.

Outside of Windows and Parallels, view a Desktop where everything is just "there" for you to see. Explore the Dock. Click on different things. Become your own child once again. Play with it, and don't even attempt to try to do anything constructive... yet.

:)

colbsi
13th September 2008, 11:10 PM
Wooo, Congrats on the "baby" and geez nice size too :) This forum has been wonderful with help and no one doesn't feel "stupid" when it comes to asking newbie questions. I know I've done a few. And I am still learning! :)

basseyy
13th September 2008, 11:13 PM
congrats , we love a new mum :)

Currawong
13th September 2008, 11:17 PM
Luvlimum, so we can keep track easily, I've merged both your threads. :)