PDA

View Full Version : Spaces

stuey_boy
11th September 2008, 12:40 PM
Hi,

Is there anyway to stop a program from switching to a particular space when one of its processes is complete?

For example, I have dreamweaver within one space, and safari in another... I put a site up via dreamweavers FTP (which takes a few seconds), which is enough time for me to click on safari in the dock (which changes to the other space its in) and then hit refresh to see my changes...

The problem however is when the ftp is complete (dreamweaver loads the file I choose to put up and then does some other checks like file dependancy during the complete process) osx/space switches back to dreamweaver (usually as i'm just about to hit refresh - grrr)...

Wondered if the was a way to make all programs stop switching between spaces when it wants to (I want to do the switching)...

Thanks

soulman
11th September 2008, 01:17 PM
As of 10.5.3 or so, there is an extra preference in Spaces prefs - a checkbox down the bottom of the screen with the legend "When switching to an application, switch to a space with open windows for the application." Uncheck this if it isn't already. If Dreamweaver still switches when it has finished your task then you're out of luck I think. This should fix your general problem though - Spaces works much better with this new preference.

stuey_boy
11th September 2008, 01:24 PM
thank you... will give that a try...

iPirate
11th September 2008, 10:02 PM
Is there any way to stop other applications constantly stealing focus? I get this when Safari finishes a download, sometimes when iChat wants attention (new message or something), when iPhoto is loading in another space (three times during the time it takes to load, generally resulting in it switching me to its space thrice), et cetera.

stuey_boy
12th September 2008, 06:48 AM
Is there any way to stop other applications constantly stealing focus?

It appears there isn't a way, at least if there is a way i'm not sure what it is...

The 'When switching to an application, switch to a space with open windows for the application.' didn't make a difference apart from to take 2 clicks on the icon on the dock to move to the space with the application on it...

Not all software does this though, some just bounce the icon of the application in the dock... Must be a choice made by the developers of the application...

soulman
12th September 2008, 11:31 AM
I would have thought that the OS could capture those calls to attention from apps & turn them into dock bouncing events but perhaps not. Looks like you'll be waiting for Adobe to fix Dreamweaver for your problem to be resolved. Make sure you file a bug - they can't fix it if they don't know it's broken.

FWIW, I don't use the Dock to switch between Spaces so I don't have that 2 click on the Dock icon problem. I find the keyboard commands - Ctrl + n (where n is the number of the Space you want to switch to) - works best for me. The big advantage of having the checkbox unchecked is that it turns Spaces from being application centred - apps exist only in one Space - to being task centred - you have whatever apps/windows you need for your task in any Space.

iPirate
12th September 2008, 01:54 PM
I like the app-centric part, so I can switch to Space 7 with a Command-Tab (iTunes) or Space 1 (iChat) instead of Ctrl-Down, Down or Up, Up. But outside that, it's still a pain with apps stealing focus even with the checkbox unchecked. Text entry in one application can get garbled with constant app switching happening on a non-user-controlled basis. Especially trying to post replies in Safari.