PDA

View Full Version : Strange noises on some calls (Optus)

bigmouth
11th September 2008, 10:58 AM
Okay, this is just getting weird and annoying....

3 times in as many days I've been on calls where either i've initiated or recieved and all I and the other party hear is what I'd call "underwater/alien" noises.

It just sounds like a scrambled transmission and the only way to resolve it is to hang up and start again.

I'm not sure if this is Optus or my iPhone (jailbroken, but it's happened pre-JB), is anyone else in this situation re network, etc encountered it ?

macsyd
11th September 2008, 11:10 AM
I've had this issue a number of times in the past with a Nokia N95 and once on the iPhone. I believe it's network related, not a phone issue.

There is another thread about this same issue.

bigmouth
11th September 2008, 11:19 AM
There is another thread about this same issue.

I know, I just couldn't find it :)

the_doctor
11th September 2008, 11:21 AM
I've been getting this too the last few days. Really weird. Luckily both times the calls were to my wife and hence they were free.

NathR32
11th September 2008, 11:24 AM
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/47/56888-scrambled-iphone-calls-sounds-like-aliens.html

Ecto1
11th September 2008, 11:37 AM
Oh look another optus thread.

markhellewell
11th September 2008, 11:47 AM
Oh look another optus thread.

Oh look another comment about another optus thread.

TheKeddi
11th September 2008, 11:55 AM
Yeah my brother said it sounded like that when i left a message on his home answering machine, they thought it might be me because they knew I was calling that night, so yeah, it has happened to me too!

optus, not unlocked or jailbroken at all.

silverdreamer
11th September 2008, 12:02 PM
Oh look another comment about another optus thread.

Oh look! another comment about another comment about another optus thread!:p

>>>>Calling occupants, of interplanetary craft!

rob05
11th September 2008, 12:32 PM
I had one with the call coming from a vodafone user friend and when I rang them the call was fine.

I am wondering it it happens with other carriers out of interest

SaucyChick
11th September 2008, 01:25 PM
I know there's another thread, but this is way more recent (maybe we can merge them?)

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday on an Optus iPhone (not jailbroken or unlocked) and I was wearing my headphones in the car. It was so loud!!

The weird thing was, it was as I was calling someone else and the noises happened *before* the phone call, after I hit dial - and it was fine once the phone started ringing.

ricochet
11th September 2008, 01:26 PM
I actually had this yesterday when I was on the phone to the Optus rep about getting my iPhone unlocked!! He commented on it and I said I'd never had that issue with Telstra before in the same apartment for about 6 months ;) Yet another good reason to get away from Optus I guess.

EDIT: the joke will probably be on me when it turns out he misheard my IMEI due to the garbling effect and my phone never gets unlocked!

Ecto1
11th September 2008, 05:07 PM
Oh look! another comment about another comment about another optus thread!:p

>>>>Calling occupants, of interplanetary craft!

Oh look a comment about a comments comment that was made about my comment on the thread.

gelfie
11th September 2008, 05:13 PM
As I said in a similar thread. Wanna be REALLY freaked out, watch the movie White Noise... you'll never make another call again!

bigmouth
11th September 2008, 05:19 PM
Oh look a comment about a comments comment that was made about my comment on the thread.

Oh look, my thread has caused comments about a comments comment that was about someone else's coment on the thread :)

Nolanistic
12th September 2008, 11:15 AM
It's probably just the government listening in on your phone calls.