View Full Version : Photoshop Text

28th April 2005, 11:20 AM
Can anyone let me know how to in photoshop make text look like it is "cutout" from the background or "cut in" to an image please.


28th April 2005, 11:34 AM
Which version of PS are you using?
If you are using from version 6 - CS:
Create a type layer
Double click on the layer (not the name of the layer)
In the options window that should open you can add glows and shadows that should give the effect that you are after - just experiment!

28th April 2005, 11:56 AM
Start with: An image layer and a text layer on top of that. If the image layer is called Background then double click on its name in the layers palette to unlock it. It should now be called "layer x" (where x is a number).
Hold down Apple (Command) and click on the text layer in the layers palette--this creates a selection of the text outline.

Click on the image layer to select it.

Choose Layer>Add Layer mask>Hide Selection

28th April 2005, 12:18 PM
Easiest way in Photoshop CS:

1. In the Layers palette set "Fill" of your text layer to 0% (the text vanishes).
2. Double-click the layer to get Layer Styles. Add the "Inner Shadow" effect.

The 0% Fill makes the layer contents invisible, but layer styles are still visible.
You can also access layer styles from the Layer->Layer Styles menu.

28th April 2005, 12:27 PM
Or, for older versions of PS:

1. Create your text using black
2. Change the blending mode from "Normal" to "Lighten" (again, text disappears)
3. Set an "Inner Shadow" in your layer style.

28th April 2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks Guys,
Thats the sort of thing I am trying to do geektechnu, so I'll give it a go.

By the way I am using PS-CS.

Thanks Again.

28th April 2005, 03:47 PM
I think I misread the question a bit :S

28th April 2005, 03:53 PM
Someone should do a PhotoShop write up... AppleTalk could have an awesome article collection if more people put articles forward :P

28th April 2005, 08:08 PM
Wouldn't it be easier if people just asked? There's way to much to cover.

I'm happy to help anyone that asks.

28th April 2005, 09:10 PM
Everyone should buy/borrow a copy of Scott Kelby's Photoshop Classic Effects (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0321272250/102-8133028-1100107?v=glance).
Packed to the gills with short, practical, tutorials; each teaching you one or two new tricks.

And once you know how to do it, work out a quicker/easier way!