PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Shortage?



headkicker
28th April 2005, 10:59 AM
just tried to order a 12 inch powerbook and i was told by the guy at next byte (an apple reseller) that there is a huge shortage of 12 inch models and that there will be a 2-3 weeks wait.

however, according to the apple website the build time is 2-3 days.

so which info is accurate? if i order from apple would i have to wait for more than 2-3 days?

iSlayer
28th April 2005, 11:02 AM
apple have been shipping them fairly fast recently.mine was same day shipping direct from apple

eyeLikeCarrots
28th April 2005, 11:02 AM
Did you get a built to order ?

leharicot
28th April 2005, 11:07 AM
i ordered a 15" PB with 1gb ram on the 18th from the online store. Apple have always said a shipping date of the 28th (maybe so it can ship with tiger). Today is the 28th, but no movement yet.

The lead times on the Apple Store change almost daily for different products - si i imagine they are fairly accurate. For example, on the US site, the lead time for PBs changes from same day to 3 days a couple of days ago. I imagine that is because they are loading new PBs with tiger and cant ship them before the release.

headkicker
28th April 2005, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by leharicot@Apr 28 2005, 11:07 AM
i ordered a 15" PB with 1gb ram on the 18th from the online store. Apple have always said a shipping date of the 28th (maybe so it can ship with tiger). Today is the 28th, but no movement yet.

so there was like a 10 day wait when you ordered ur PB?

leharicot
28th April 2005, 01:17 PM
yes - it was an advertised 7-10 day wait when i ordered it because I changed the RAM. the shipping has always been quoted as the 28th right from the get-go, so i can't complain...yet. if it doesn't ship today though, i just don't know what i'll do.

vargz
28th April 2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by headkicker@Apr 28 2005, 10:59 AM
just tried to order a 12 inch powerbook and i was told by the guy at next byte there will be a 2-3 weeks wait.

Same here, same reseller, same delivery time quoted.

But that's improved compared to what I was told previously a month or two ago. Apple Centre refused to give me a delivery time basically saying the sooner I place my order the sooner I'll get it. DJs quoted an 8 week delivery time.

So Im happy to wait 2-3 weeks :)

Also a sign of things speeding up - AppleStore was quoting 5-7 days build time until recently, now its 2-4 days.

gaz
28th April 2005, 04:50 PM
I also ordered a BTO Powerbook and was given an expected shipping date of the 28th April.
Well, it shipped on the 27th!

Rayd
28th April 2005, 05:46 PM
i was told at applecentre in burwood that they have absolutly no pBooks in stock only iBooks... now i have to search for one that does

trinket
28th April 2005, 06:33 PM
supplies go through stages - for weeks 15" PBs were hard to get, now its the 12" PBs. Dribs and drabs are supposed to be coming through, but people who have put orders down will get first dibs.
If DJs and Domayne have stock, it is only because they don't sell enough of the computers to have run out of stock in the first place. iPods are really their big ticket item/quick sell items.

With regards to the info on the apple site, it isn't very accurate. When they say '3 days' or whatever, what it really means is the number of days it takes for the order to be processed, passed on to the factory at Singapore and put together. It doesn't take shipping time into account at all.
Apart from that the machines aren't sent directly to the customer from Singapore, they are actually sent back to Apple Australia's warehouse, and then passed on to the customer.

I have heard varying reports as to the actual time it takes for these CTO/BTO orders. Oddly enough, some people have said it is actually faster getting it from Next Byte or other resellers, rather than getting it directly from Apple online.

headkicker
28th April 2005, 06:51 PM
okay melbourne people i got some good news to those who are after 12in PBs!

the nextbyte store on the corner of Bourke and Russell has them IN STOCK NOW!

i just put one aside for myself this avo (going overseas, need to get back GST, must be within 30days of purchase etc etc) but i was told that there are 2 more units available!

leharicot
29th April 2005, 08:56 AM
it may be quicker to get a unit from a shop front and then whack extra ram in it yourself.

my PB 15" delivery date has now been pushed back to 10/5 - nearly a month after ordering. at least it should come with tiger on it!

i'm inconsolable....

gaz
29th April 2005, 12:46 PM
wow...that sucks - hope it's worth the wait

Ozi
29th April 2005, 01:13 PM
My Powerbook took almost a month to get to me, but then I ordered the night they were announced, so demand was high, and mine is heavily built to order. (I downgraded from super to combo drive as well, the rest of the specs are in my signature)

So yeah, it is bad that they are still taking a while to get to avid Apple users. Shipping times are one area that Apple really sucks. I guess they have such popularity, they cannot build the units fast enough. Still, I have felt the pain and impatience of waiting for a pBook to arrive. :) It is worth the wait guys, don't worry.

leharicot
29th April 2005, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by leharicot@Apr 29 2005, 08:56 AM
my PB 15" delivery date has now been pushed back to 10/5 - nearly a month after ordering. at least it should come with tiger on it!
well just this morning (only hours after receiving the above notification) my order has gone into 'preparing shipment'. so its the usual rollercoaster ride of expectations and emotions.

will be pretty dark if it ships tonight - just 24 hours earlier and i would have had it for the weekend!

but i no complain....monday will come soon enough (it always does!)

leharicot
29th April 2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by gaz@Apr 28 2005, 04:50 PM
I also ordered a BTO Powerbook and was given an expected shipping date of the 28th April.
Well, it shipped on the 27th!
i'm not at all jealous....

woe is me.

i even have a laptop bag ready...just nothing to put in it :-(

vargz
29th April 2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by leharicot@Apr 29 2005, 03:30 PM
i even have a laptop bag ready...just nothing to put in it :-(
Did you end up getting the Bitolithic kit? If so how is it? (I know its kinda hard to tell considering you don't have your PB yet!)

leharicot
29th April 2005, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by vargz@Apr 29 2005, 03:48 PM
Did you end up getting the Bitolithic kit? If so how is it? (I know its kinda hard to tell considering you don't have your PB yet!)
yes i did get the bitolithic bag. it looks quite good. looks to be sturdy on the seams, etc. delivery was prompt, etc, etc.

but i dont have the PB to put in it - so I can't really tell you if it works or not! i will be posting a review once i have the PB to put inside it.

it was all organised - bag arrived thursday, PB was supposed to arrive friday - had my weekend all mapped out.

oh well, its off to the niteclub tonight to find something (or someone) else to do!

vargz
29th April 2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by leharicot@Apr 29 2005, 03:56 PM
oh well, its off to the niteclub tonight to find something (or someone) else to do!
LOL! :lol:

Well that sounds like more enticing than any night with a Powerbook ;)

I'll be hoping for my PB arrival in a week or two and I will be giving the Bitolithic a go as well.

gaz
29th April 2005, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by leharicot@Apr 29 2005, 03:30 PM
i'm not at all jealous....

woe is me.

i even have a laptop bag ready...just nothing to put in it :-(
I was hoping to encourage you with that shipping news not discourage you!

Anyway, glad its arriving soon - who knows you might still receive it before me.

I think the bag I've ordered won't be turning up until after the Powerbook. :-(

The_Customer
29th April 2005, 05:51 PM
i ordered a 15" powerbook with spec changes (more ram, better vid card, 100gb HD) along with a bluetooth optical mouse on the 18/4, and finally today it changed its order status to prepearing shipment (whatever that means, how long does it take to put it into a box?) and the expected date is the 10/5...ARGH the wait is killing me...

i spend more time now-a-days looking at the order staus page than i do with my girlfriend...she's very worried that ill replace her with the powerbook...which seems quite plausable, powerbook is smooth and slick, doesn't complain when i put a big round thing in her, and i can get her going by just pressing one button and she'll keep me going for hours....


(oh god that was so nerdy)

shtan72
29th April 2005, 06:00 PM
I ordered my 12 inch pb with superdrive on 19th April. Do you guys think it'll come preinstalled with Tiger? What skin-like case would be good for it if I plan to still put it in a larger carry bag?

vargz
29th April 2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by The_Customer@Apr 29 2005, 05:51 PM
powerbook is smooth and slick, doesn't complain when i put a big round thing in her, and i can get her going by just pressing one button and she'll keep me going for hours....
Let's hope you don't mix up which 'big round things' you put where, otherwise things could get nasty! :)

shtan72, Im in the same boat as you, ordering my 12 PB a little before you did. My feeling is that it won't come with Tiger as the units will be delivered in a week or two, but you can purchase Tiger for $14.95 from Apple. So no real dramas.

As for 'skin-like' case, I assume you mean a sleeve, something which isn't big and baulky which you can easily slip in your backpack? Well, leharicot and I are both giving the Bitolithic protection kit a go. Find out more about it here - http://www.bitolithic.com/bags/ozindex.htm

headkicker
29th April 2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by vargz@Apr 29 2005, 06:58 PM
Let's hope you don't mix up which 'big round things' you put where, otherwise things could get nasty! :)

shtan72, Im in the same boat as you, ordering my 12 PB a little before you did. My feeling is that it won't come with Tiger as the units will be delivered in a week or two, but you can purchase Tiger for $14.95 from Apple. So no real dramas.

As for 'skin-like' case, I assume you mean a sleeve, something which isn't big and baulky which you can easily slip in your backpack? Well, leharicot and I are both giving the Bitolithic protection kit a go. Find out more about it here - http://www.bitolithic.com/bags/ozindex.htm
how do u think these cases compare to the STM gloves?

vargz
29th April 2005, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by headkicker@Apr 29 2005, 08:38 PM
how do u think these cases compare to the STM gloves?
Well the STM Glove is purely a padded sleeve, where as the Bitolithic is a complete kit, a sleeve, screen protector and a little equipment bag for your charger. The STM Glove is padded, where as I think the Bitolithic is a protective sleeve, utilising the padding of the backpack or briefcase (wherever you carry it) for added protection.

Looking at the pics on the site, the Bitolithic seems more versatile in that it can be fitted whilst the PB is being used and you can charge the PB whilst its in the sleeve.

That's about the extent of the comparison I can offer at this stage :)

leharicot
30th April 2005, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by The_Customer@Apr 29 2005, 05:51 PM
i ordered a 15" powerbook with spec changes (more ram, better vid card, 100gb HD) along with a bluetooth optical mouse on the 18/4, and finally today it changed its order status to prepearing shipment (whatever that means, how long does it take to put it into a box?) and the expected date is the 10/5...ARGH the wait is killing me...

i spend more time now-a-days looking at the order staus page than i do with my girlfriend...she's very worried that ill replace her with the powerbook...which seems quite plausable, powerbook is smooth and slick, doesn't complain when i put a big round thing in her, and i can get her going by just pressing one button and she'll keep me going for hours....


(oh god that was so nerdy)
my BTO PB which was ordered on the 18th finally shipped on 29/4. Should get it monday.

so i'm enjoying my last weekend of 'freedom' from the lure of the PB. As foretold earlier in thread I went out last night.

but then again, she is sleeping and I got up to cruise the appletalk site. maybe i am already within the siren song of the PB?

man - i have to get my priorites right - I'm going back to bed!

gaz
30th April 2005, 11:36 AM
Just picked my Powerbook this morning!
(noone home yesterday when they delivered it)

What a relief - no dead pixels.
Its a very nice machine...now if only I had my bag to put it in.....

mainframe
2nd May 2005, 08:22 PM
i got told the same thing

ive called ( follow places are in sydney ) apple centre on broadway, apple centre in hurstville, domayne and digit@lcity and all of them told me that there is an aus wide shortage in 12" powerbooks.
i put my name down for one with the hurstville shop...and they said it could take 2 weeks or so.
then i called the shop in broadway today and they said "we HOPE to have some by mid next week"
but i too noticed that on the apple shop it said estimated build time is 1-2 days.
so i dont know what the hell is going on either.

but i really want my powerbook damnit :(
i need my tiny silver metal bundle of joy :'(

leharicot
2nd May 2005, 08:31 PM
my PB was shipped friday, but STE aren't coughing it up yet. they don't seem to be the fastest delivery mob.

cant wait to see what the tiger situation is with it.

vargz
2nd May 2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by mainframe@May 2 2005, 08:22 PM
but i really want my powerbook damnit :(
i need my tiny silver metal bundle of joy :'(
Mate, don't be mad or sad... :)

Two weeks is nothing. How do you think I felt when I was told 8 weeks by one reseller and the other continually refused to give me any indication of a shipping time!!! I was pissed and pretty much thought about sticking with my Windows notebook.

Luckily Tiger was coming soon so it gave me a reason/excuse to hold off on ordering and enduring the depressing wait. Since ordering, I had m 12 arrive in a week!!, but couldn't take delivery cos I didn't have my work papers in order (stupid me :angry: ). Hence i have been given the 'bout two weeks' thing, which is damn better than what i was told two months earlier!!

Anyway, soon we will all have our 12" (or 15 or 17") bundles of joy, don't despair!

shtan72
2nd May 2005, 09:53 PM
Entering my 3rd week of waiting tomorrow. My reseller said usually 15 working days for 12 inch pb, mine speced with superdrive. This better be worth it.........I really think apple would be able to significantly increase their sales if they could deliver within 5 working days. My dell came within 8 working days and it was speced to a greater degree than the pb. If dell can do it, apple can. As Mr hewitt goes........C'MOOOOOORRRRRRNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!

mainframe
2nd May 2005, 10:17 PM
yeah i spose 2 weeks isnt that bad
but you have no idea how impatiant i am, i have a seriously intense addction to technology
i neeeeeeeeeeeed it :(

The_Customer
3rd May 2005, 03:36 PM
after ordering my 15" superdrive with some spec changes on 18/4 i recived it today...
i think if you want a 12" soon order it off the mac website cause a f2 frinds of mine ordered theirs...one thrugh a re-seller and one off the website (on the same day) and the one off the website already got his and the one who bought it from a reseller has been told a two week wait...

shtan72
3rd May 2005, 04:00 PM
thanks for input customer, but I got an edu discount from reseller so had no choice. its getting painful each day waiting.

leharicot
3rd May 2005, 04:25 PM
my 15" superdrive with spec changes ordered 18/4 also arrived today. thats 2 weeks and 1 day wait - not that bad, although every day felt like a week and every week felt like a year.

but tonight is the OC - now i'm torn. PB or Marissa? which is sexier? its too close to call....

OziMac
3rd May 2005, 04:44 PM
Hey Customer - did you get Tiger preinstalled or up-to-date disks with your PB?

McMullet
3rd May 2005, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by leharicot@May 3 2005, 04:25 PM
but tonight is the OC - now i'm torn. PB or Marissa? which is sexier? its too close to call....
Dude, why do you even have to ask a silly question like that?

First of all, Marissa is sexier than your PB and any other chick that can be displayed on its screen.
Secondly, you have a PB... which is portable! You can do whatever you need to do on your PB while watching the show or during its commercials.

The_Customer
3rd May 2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@May 3 2005, 04:44 PM
Hey Customer - did you get Tiger preinstalled or up-to-date disks with your PB?
it didn't come pre-installed but came on disc to install yourself...

i was infact quite suprised that that happened causae i thought i owuld have to pay the extra $15 bucks...

The_Customer
3rd May 2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by shtan72@May 3 2005, 04:00 PM
thanks for input customer, but I got an edu discount from reseller so had no choice. its getting painful each day waiting.
i got an edu discount off the website...

964RSCS
3rd May 2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by McMullet@May 3 2005, 05:18 PM
Dude, why do you even have to ask a silly question like that?

First of all, Marissa is sexier than your PB and any other chick that can be displayed on its screen.
Secondly, you have a PB... which is portable! You can do whatever you need to do on your PB while watching the show or during its commercials.
Marissa???? Summer is the only reason for watching the OC!!!

And yes, with a PB, you can use it while in front of the telly watching Summer!! :thumbup: :D

OziMac
3rd May 2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by The_Customer@May 3 2005, 05:27 PM
it didn't come pre-installed but came on disc to install yourself...

i was infact quite suprised that that happened causae i thought i owuld have to pay the extra $15 bucks...
Ah, good for you customer.

Us poor Powermac folk don't get any separate install disks - it's all stuck on the Software Restore unfortunately for us.

The_Customer
3rd May 2005, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@May 3 2005, 06:36 PM
Us poor Powermac folk don't get any separate install disks - it's all stuck on the Software Restore unfortunately for us.
yeah its a tough life owning a powermac :rolleyes:

headkicker
3rd May 2005, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by The_Customer@May 3 2005, 05:27 PM
it didn't come pre-installed but came on disc to install yourself...

were the disks the full installation version or you have to upgrade from panther?

The_Customer
3rd May 2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by headkicker@May 3 2005, 07:11 PM
were the disks the full installation version or you have to upgrade from panther?
yeah i think so...during the installation it searched to see if i had panther installed...so im guessing yeah

leharicot
3rd May 2005, 11:15 PM
so many things to mention...here goes:

1. new PB came with installed and Tiger upgrade disks. Not the full version, an upgrade version. installed without hassle and now running tiger.

2. marissa is WAY better than summer. especially now that she 'swings the other way'. and her girlfriend is better than summer also.

3. you can use your PB while watching The OC.

The OC and PB with tiger. i'm in heaven...

simonpeng
4th May 2005, 02:16 AM
It seems my PB15 comes very fast, I order this Sudnay (1/5) and I receive it on Tuesday (3/5).

I guess the reason I have it so fast is that I add nothing.

My PB has Panther installed with a disc of tiger to upgrade.

If i pay $15, will I get the full retail version of tiger or still the upgrade?

Anyway I am a happy mac user now.

McMullet
4th May 2005, 04:26 PM
I ordered a 15" PB for my brother just yesterday. There were no spec changes and he should be receiving it in the next few days (hopefully).

Simonpeng, if you got yours preinstalled with panther and it came with a tiger upgrade CD, then I guess the same will apply for my brother. Damn... he was really looking forward to having the tiger software restore disks and so was I. :(

mainframe
4th May 2005, 09:52 PM
i rang the local applecentre yesterday to see if they had any in stock yet
and to my suprise he said that he had one!
so i got all excited and then he informed me that it was a 1.33ghz one
so i said ok....how much are you selling it for?
and he said $2400 (yes...a dollar more than the 1.5ghz ones with more ram and other extras!!)
he THEN informed me that it was an ex demo and had been on display in their store.
i literally burst out into laughter and told him he had to be f*cking kidding me.

they expect people to pay more for an older ex demo model than they would pay for a new one??!??!! unbelievable.

i told him that i had one on order with them and he said that it was placed the same day that i rang up and got them to order it for me, and that they should come by the end of this week or next week sometime (hopefully)

im realllly hoping it comes tomorrow because its pay day and i will have enough money for it, i will run down to the aapple shop and burn the rubber on the soles of my boots if it comes in :D

denwol
4th May 2005, 11:40 PM
Got my 12in today from nextbyte. They said they have another two in stock so go get them. Nice toys!!!

mainframe
5th May 2005, 12:17 AM
where abouts is nextbyte?

sydney?

simonpeng
5th May 2005, 01:27 AM
I don't think there is any shortage, I order online without changing any spec and I got my PB in 2 days!!

Apple website state that it takes 1~5 days for shipping depend where you live, so I guess customer should be able to get their apple within a week.

mainframe
5th May 2005, 10:27 AM
simonpeng....

you ordered a 15 inch powerbook, as far as i know there arent shortages with those, it is the 12" powerbook that i have been told (by EVERY single place i have tried to get one from) that there is an australia wide shortage on.

you may have gotten your powerbook in a few days, but its not the same model as im after.

invisible
15th May 2005, 01:50 AM
no shortage in melbourne. on the 15" or 12". I bought my beautiful little 12" on friday at a reseller. 45min wait while they added extra ram.

tell you what... I. AM. IN. LOVE...(with a computer, is that wrong?) :D

purana
15th May 2005, 08:46 AM
I got informed on Friday that our 12" is in stock and allocated to my order. They said the mac mini came in on Friday. They basically said the powerbook was in stock days earlier, they were waiting on the mac mini.

Hopefully I can pickup tomorrow or Tuesday. I am just waiting for my work to send me the cheque, which the finance people said was sent on Friday arvo via internal mail.

Soon as I have cheque, will try and cut lunch to go pickup from Chatswood.

vargz
15th May 2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by simonpeng@May 5 2005, 01:27 AM
I don't think there is any shortage, I order online without changing any spec and I got my PB in 2 days!!
I agree. My PB came a week within ordering (though I was unable to purchase cos of salary packaging reasons) and the next one came within two weeks of that (a blessing in disguise that I couldn't get it first time, I scored Tiger ;) ).

I'm not sure what each person classes as a shortage. When I was told 8 weeks (or indefinite) wait, I'd class that as a shortage. But waiting 2 weeks is acceptable. Each to their own I guess.

I can't imagine their are many places these days where you can walk in, put your money down and walk out with a premium piece of hardware. There will is most cases be some wait/delivery time, unless they have spares in stock.

So if anyone out there is holding off buying, give a reseller or two a call. It might suprise you how quickly you can be using your new Powerbook :)