PDA

View Full Version : Playing Spore in Boot Camp

mrbrut
10th September 2008, 11:27 AM
Hi All,

I've got a new MacBook and have been playing a little Spore and I'm pretty disappointed with the performance under OS X.

By default I don't get wide-screen and everything looks a little blurred.

My question is will I see an improvement if I use Boot Camp and is it worth it?

Cheers!

Linux_insidev2
10th September 2008, 11:29 AM
Hi All,

I've got a new MacBook and have been playing a little Spore and I'm pretty disappointed with the performance under OS X.

By default I don't get wide-screen and everything looks a little blurred.

My question is will I see an improvement if I use Boot Camp and is it worth it?

Cheers!

Go into the settings and change your Res to be the full res for your macbook (1280x800)

But yes, I've noticed better performance using Vista with bootcamp than I did with Spore on OSX

drewbles
10th September 2008, 11:31 AM
Spore under OS X runs under Wine. Yes. Wine.

It runs just fine on my MBP, but I can imagine it wouldn't be too happy on a MB with integrated intel graphics. I may try it on my MB, but it's great on the MBP on OS X. Wine sucks, but at least it's only using DLL's it put into it rather than all the berzillion Windows DLL's.

Linux_insidev2
10th September 2008, 11:36 AM
Spore under OS X runs under Wine. Yes. Wine.

It runs just fine on my MBP, but I can imagine it wouldn't be too happy on a MB with integrated intel graphics. I may try it on my MB, but it's great on the MBP on OS X. Wine sucks, but at least it's only using DLL's it put into it rather than all the berzillion Windows DLL's.

It's shitloads faster under Windows on the same machine though. I'm able to use higher detail settings on windows too.

chrome
10th September 2008, 11:39 AM
Runs well on a Mac Pro with 16GB ram and a 8800GT ... but you didn't want to hear that ... ;)

http://bani.anime.net/no_you_cant_have_a_pony.jpg

drewbles
10th September 2008, 11:40 AM
It's shitloads faster under Windows on the same machine though. I'm able to use higher detail settings on windows too.

Wine = Windows Emulator. Whilst it's finaly 'released' it still won't function as well as it will directly under windows.

arkenstone
10th September 2008, 11:41 AM
Wine = Windows Emulator. Whilst it's finaly 'released' it still won't function as well as it will directly under windows.

Actually Wine Is Not an Emulator :p

mrbrut
10th September 2008, 11:45 AM
My MacBook is 2.4Ghz with 2GB RAM with the X3100 integrated video.

I've increased the screen resolution and it starts to get choppy which is really disappointing.
I've noticed that the required specs for XP are less than OS X so I'm hoping for an improvement there.

I'm not too keen on having to set up Boot Camp but if it's worth it I will.

Am I right to assume that running Spore in Parallels won't be an improvement? I'm interested to know how it would run under Wine if someone can test for me.

Cheers all!

chrome
10th September 2008, 11:51 AM
I'm interested to know how it would run under Wine if someone can test for me.

You already have.

Linux_insidev2
10th September 2008, 12:14 PM

Actually Wine Is Not an Emulator :p

What Arkenstone said

Wine is an Abstraction Layer, all it does is translate system calls so it works on another OS.
Obviously Translation isn't as quick as speaking in the native dialect.

mrbrut
10th September 2008, 12:19 PM
Thanks all, looks like I'll install XP in Boot Camp and see how it measures up.

leon
10th September 2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks all, looks like I'll install XP in Boot Camp and see how it measures up.

Bootcamp may be the way for you to go, but you need to lower your expectations. My iMac Core 2 Extreme 2.8Ghz with 4GB can't run Spore well. My frame rates are probably about 20FPS normally and drop to about 10-15FPS when there are a couple (4-5) of creatures on the screen. I am running at 1920x1200, so I might try dropping it down to 1600x1080. Most of my detail levels are on low and medium.
If my iMac is having trouble, your Macbook doesn't stand a chance.