PDA

View Full Version : LAME! 2.1 out for iPod Touch NOW. Not for iPhone.

SubElement
10th September 2008, 11:01 AM
Screw you Apple! :mad:

mitty
10th September 2008, 11:03 AM
I think they're remembering back to July 11 when all of their servers melted and don't want a repeat. Don't worry it'll be out sometime saturday and the jailbreak should be out shortly after :)

matthewk
10th September 2008, 11:04 AM
Oh poor you. Got to wait 3 days.

You have this great piece of technology that works pretty darn well and you want to complain that they are not releasing 2.1 for an extra few days. Don't mind the fact that 2.1 for the iPhone is slightly different to 2.1 for touch so perhaps there was a small problem that they wanted to iron out.

Madone
10th September 2008, 11:04 AM
Screw you Apple! :mad:

Friday mate, don't get your knickers in a twist. You could have asked, heaps on here watched the Podcast.

Reason for the delay in 2.1 is separate the two out, this event was a music event, the iPhone is not (just) a music device, and there is other stuff that needs to be checked first.

SubElement
10th September 2008, 11:11 AM
Oh poor you. Got to wait 3 days.

:rolleyes: As soon as anyone gets critical of Apple, the rabid fan boys come out. Yes, GUESS WHAT, I am critical of Apple! I want to make them a better company, and criticism is my way of doing it. I understand that the iPhone firmware is different to the iPod firmware, but I highly doubt they are actually doing anything over the next three days. The build is there, waiting to be released for Friday.

My main annoyance is that the people with PROBLEMS are iPhone users, not iPod users. If they were worried about their server exploding, which is a vaild point, then they should have released this to iPhone users first and THEN iPod users.

icant
10th September 2008, 11:12 AM
:rolleyes: As soon as anyone gets critical of Apple, the rabid fan boys come out. Yes, GUESS WHAT, I am critical of Apple! I want to make them a better company, and criticism is my way of doing it.

Well screw you SubElement.

Because I care about you.

drewbles
10th September 2008, 11:13 AM
I think they're remembering back to July 11 when all of their servers melted and don't want a repeat. Don't worry it'll be out sometime saturday and the jailbreak should be out shortly after :)

I'd go out on a limb and say there are going to be a lot more people downloading the iPhone 2.1 software than iPod Touch owners due to a) the cost and b) the fact there are probably more iphones than ipod touches out there.

I'm a little annoyed they didn't release it today. If not for server meltdown, why would they delay it a few days? Surely if it was gold master, they'd release it now.

Curious.

matthewk
10th September 2008, 11:14 AM
:rolleyes: As soon as anyone gets critical of Apple, the rabid fan boys come out.

Well maybe I am a little bit of a fanboy.

BUT, I don't see a big deal about there being a couple day differential.

SubElement
10th September 2008, 11:17 AM
Well screw you SubElement.

Because I care about you.

<3

Well maybe I am a little bit of a fanboy.

BUT, I don't see a big deal about there being a couple day differential.

Like I said the difference is that the update was given to the wrong people, the people who maybe wanted it, but didn't need it like some iPhone users with issues.

SilverJ
10th September 2008, 11:18 AM
I was actually expecting it at the end of the month so I'm still pleased.
It was only ever promised to be released in September, no date was given.

mitty
10th September 2008, 11:20 AM
Remember, everyone is probably downloading itunes 8 today. An iphone update on top of that (which will most likely be at least 250mb) would no doubt cause issues if everyone tried to do it at once. In fact I'd go as far as to predict that it will cause problems on Saturday anyway, as there are a lot more iphones out there now than there were on launch day when we had the last lot of server slowness. Hopefully Apple have beefed up the servers a bit.

icant
10th September 2008, 11:22 AM
Maybe. It's. Not. Ready. Yet.

Duh.

bartron
10th September 2008, 11:27 AM
Tit for tat....

iPhone users get their updates for free....

mechcon
10th September 2008, 11:44 AM
So friday there, meaning Saturday morning here?

lama323
10th September 2008, 11:49 AM
:rolleyes: As soon as anyone gets critical of Apple, the rabid fan boys come out. Yes, GUESS WHAT, I am critical of Apple! I want to make them a better company, and criticism is my way of doing it. I understand that the iPhone firmware is different to the iPod firmware, but I highly doubt they are actually doing anything over the next three days. The build is there, waiting to be released for Friday.

My main annoyance is that the people with PROBLEMS are iPhone users, not iPod users. If they were worried about their server exploding, which is a vaild point, then they should have released this to iPhone users first and THEN iPod users.

iPhone has only been out in oz for a few months and it already has had an update. iPod users have been waiting allot longer mate, why should a certain group of users given preference over another? thats ridiculous.

Its coming out on Saturday - surely your iPhone's problems can hold on until then?

cowgz
10th September 2008, 11:56 AM
So do iPod Touch users who already have firmware 2.0.x

forno
10th September 2008, 11:56 AM
WOW, Apple tells you that they will update your software on friday and all you can do is bitch and moan???

Get a life mate;)

Go for a walk, call somebody on your shiny iPhone and discuss how lucky you are to be able to afford what others can only dream of

FFS people need to get over themselves and their constant bitching and moaning about the iPhone

nando
10th September 2008, 11:58 AM
was getting resource not found today in the morning..for my ipod touch ..so have to wait till i get home to update the ipod touch...

and yea...have to wait for the iPhone...for Saturday...morning.... :(
gosh..hate waiting..just for that i have to take my mac book pro to Melb....(my parents have internet but slower connection than me :(

i wonder whether SJobs is doing some sort of perception management...where he didnt really make a great hype of the stuff that will be available on the new iphone firmware..but in reallity there will be so that ppl get "iphone love" again...?!!?!
now that will be great..
but...doubt it... :(
x fingers for Sat morning!.. ;)

mitty
10th September 2008, 11:59 AM
Am I right in saying that only legit Touch 2.0 customers will get 2.1... if you jailbroke your touch to install 2.0 then you'll probably need to wait for the 2.1 jailbreak before you can load it on your Touch...?

nando
10th September 2008, 12:01 PM
is called an iPod Touch for starters..
anyways..if u did purchase the 2.0 release then the 2.1 update is free for ipod touch users
if u had JB ipod touch you must've had paid for 2.0 so it will break ur JB but it shouldnt ask u for purchasing the 2.1

Dust For Eyes
10th September 2008, 12:01 PM
Remember, everyone is probably downloading itunes 8 today. An iphone update on top of that (which will most likely be at least 250mb) would no doubt cause issues if everyone tried to do it at once. In fact I'd go as far as to predict that it will cause problems on Saturday anyway, as there are a lot more iphones out there now than there were on launch day when we had the last lot of server slowness. Hopefully Apple have beefed up the servers a bit.

^ Wise words spoken here.

Let's not forget the debacle of the iPhone 3G setup/MobileMe/wheel reinvention. To scatter release the update is a good thing.

lama323
10th September 2008, 12:15 PM
is called an iPod Touch for starters..

wtf if someone says touch we all know they mean iPod Touch... why does it have to be perfectly correct?

resonance
10th September 2008, 12:24 PM

You want to make them a better company?

And at the same time you want them to release the iPhone firmware which would still be undergoing Baseband and modem tweaking and testing now?

Seeing a problem here? I am.

mitty
10th September 2008, 03:47 PM
wtf if someone says touch we all know they mean iPod Touch... why does it have to be perfectly correct?
LOL was thinking the same thing. I love how someone corrects my abbreviating the name of a product and then proceeds to use broken english for the rest of the post... ;)

Beau
10th September 2008, 06:16 PM
2.1 is sooo awesome. :D

(yeah, just making you jealous ;) )

lama323
10th September 2008, 06:18 PM

shiittt i am so jealous cause i have to wait 2 days... please somebody help!
hahahah :D

jimdrum
10th September 2008, 06:28 PM
:

My main annoyance is that the people with PROBLEMS are iPhone users, not iPod users.

Various (updated) apps on my iPod Touch haven't worked for weeks. This upgrade has fixed the problems.
I question Apple's quality control of these apps. They've associated their name and reputation with this software that comes from their app store.
Why are there so many problems with it?

Aaron
10th September 2008, 06:33 PM

Ooooo I have the shiny non-crippled device. (yeah, just making you jealous :) )

Also if I remember correctly.. you didn't pay for the 2.0 update in the first place - filthy pirate. :)

adamd
10th September 2008, 06:35 PM
Tis downloading.
HAHAHA iPHONE OWNERS :)
About time we get something first.

Beau
10th September 2008, 06:37 PM
Ooooo I have the shiny non-crippled device. (yeah, just making you jealous :) )

*face twitching*

Also if I remember correctly.. you didn't pay for the 2.0 update in the first place - filthy pirate. :)

Well, you know, I paid for the January Software Update, so Apple already haz enough of my monies.

simplynick
10th September 2008, 06:38 PM
The Touches have to pay for it so let them enjoy it for a bit..

Alec Fraser
10th September 2008, 06:42 PM
Hey if it means it works, I'm all good with that!

slhogan
10th September 2008, 06:51 PM
I just watched the Video and found it interesting that Steve Jobs plainly stated 2.1 would fix Call Drop outs, improve battery life and fix LOTS of bugs, I thought this was bold from a company that is expert at playing down and just plain ignoring any issues their products have - they must really be feeling the heat to be so up front about iPhones issues.

I hope 2.1 will include Nike + for the iPhone.

GimliNZ
10th September 2008, 07:12 PM

Exactly and to rub even more salt into an already festering wound the correction he made is incorrect as the "official" name for it is written iPod touch - there is no capital letter in the second word!! :p

SpectrE
10th September 2008, 07:28 PM
So does anyone know whether push has made it into the 2.1 update??

davortech
10th September 2008, 07:29 PM
Can 2.1 be installed on the first gen. iPod touch?

Alec Fraser
10th September 2008, 07:29 PM
Can 2.1 be installed on the first gen. iPod touch?

Yes.

Alec Fraser
10th September 2008, 07:30 PM
So does anyone know whether push has made it into the 2.1 update??

They've said absolutely nothing about it, so I'd assume that would mean no.

aswitcher
10th September 2008, 07:31 PM
Getting it now...for the touch

Alec Fraser
10th September 2008, 07:32 PM
Oh and don't forget that it'll be Friday US time :P Not Aussie time.

CyanPixie
10th September 2008, 11:38 PM
I am hoping that they added an extra something in for us iPhone owners.

Honestly, I woke up this morning and turned on my PC to read what happened and was disappointed. Whoopty doo, they fixed something that shouldn't be broken in the beginning. How about getting the GPS more accurate and functional! :mad:

Mecha
10th September 2008, 11:56 PM
I hope 2.1 will include Nike + for the iPhone.

Whats the big deal about this +nike business?

Fuck you Apple for not giving me push notifications.

That is all

Madone
11th September 2008, 12:12 AM
Whats the big deal about this +nike business?

Fuck you Apple for not giving me push notifications.

That is all

Steve Jobs just rang, and he said " Fuck you too" :thumbup:

nando
11th September 2008, 05:48 AM
Have the 2.1 for iPod touch and is good the iPod table list looks better also a difference us that when you turn services off then you go to maps in the old firmware it will ask you to use location location services and it did now it just says to go to settings and turn location services on yourself

grorr76
11th September 2008, 07:43 AM
cmon fellas a bit of calm , its a software update for a phone, really not that important in the over all sceme of things to get ones knickers in a twist over.

DarkSpark
11th September 2008, 07:49 AM
I think staggering the releases is a damn goo idea. Saves their servers from overloading. And will give everyone a better download time.

The wait won't kill you. I mean we waited 12 LONG HARD months for the phone itself

mechcon
11th September 2008, 07:57 AM
Mirrors for their servers is a better idea... But oh well... :P Roll on Saturday I say. So for something refreshing in this thread.. tell us what 2.1 is like, how it's different to 2.0.2 :)

dmmos
12th September 2008, 09:37 AM
Anybody know what time (Aus) on Saturday?

toholio
12th September 2008, 10:15 AM
As soon as anyone gets critical of Apple, the rabid fan boys come out.

People suggesting you be patient and wait three days are rabid fan boys? Calm down dude, it's just a couple of days.

gelfie
12th September 2008, 10:33 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the update is delayed because of push.

It was pulled from a late beta. Clearly needing more work done on it. Being a feature the touch doesn't need, perhaps that is why the touch 2.1 can be released earlier and the iphones is delayed a few more days while they get the kinks worked out of Push Notifications and get it rolled back into the iPhone release.

Or I could just be living in total denial...

Chr1s
12th September 2008, 10:43 AM
Well as someone who owns an iTouch and not an iPod: Woohoo. :)

Nolanistic
12th September 2008, 11:12 AM
I can't wait for it because it'll make my iPhone 3G usable like my original iPhone was under 1.1.x instead of the crash-prone piece of unusable crap it is now. "Oh you want to search through your contacts to call someone, oh you shouldn't need that functionality I'll just crash every time you choose a contact"

sdtheman
12th September 2008, 12:43 PM
am i the only one who has had a problem free experince with my iphone from day one?

Disclaimer
12th September 2008, 01:05 PM
And why don't film companies put movies out the very second they complete editing, dagnabbit?!?

They show them to other people first and sometimes tell us the release date a few years in advance!

It's sooooooo unfair.

forno
12th September 2008, 01:24 PM
am i the only one who has had a problem free experince with my iphone from day one?

No:D

jonnos
12th September 2008, 01:43 PM
what time do you guys think the iphone update will hit america? its around 8.40pm thursday @ LA now..

Nolanistic
12th September 2008, 04:44 PM

Lucky bastard. Mine's been nothing but troubles. Would have switched back to my iPhone 2.5G but the lady of the Manor has confiscated it from me. :(

beatmasterbee
12th September 2008, 04:57 PM
its friday now in the eastern US...should 2.1 be in itunes already.

what time on fri (US east) do they normally push it out.

i need it bad. my iphone needs a complete wipe and start again but ive been waiting till 2.1 as currently a restore from backup is taking me 3 hours. ive had to do that three times in two weeks since i got the iphone

Ecto1
12th September 2008, 09:00 PM
I think it funny that touch owners have to pay $12 but us iphone users get it for free.

mac_man_luke
12th September 2008, 09:12 PM
I think staggering the releases is a damn goo idea. Saves their servers from overloading. And will give everyone a better download time.

The wait won't kill you. I mean we waited 12 LONG HARD months for the phone itself

Apple content is served by akamai, basically a bullet proof distributed cluster

iGobbleoff
12th September 2008, 09:12 PM
god, just be thankful you have an iphone..... its a now now now society... an extra day or two isnt going to kill u

beatmasterbee
12th September 2008, 09:57 PM
its now 8am Fri NYC....cmon!

coolkid092
12th September 2008, 10:01 PM
Have we all done our back up's? lol

beatmasterbee
12th September 2008, 10:08 PM
Have we all done our back up's? lol

nah, I reckon with 2.1 you start from scratch. clean slate to remove all the previous buginess!

NathR32
12th September 2008, 10:17 PM
Hmm..interesting. I get the below when I click the Check for Update button. It says 2.0.2 is still the current, but I have never seen the contacting server popup before.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/NathR32Gtst/Picture4-1.png

Edit: Nevermind. It was because I was downloading an update at the same time.

beatmasterbee
12th September 2008, 10:19 PM
maybe something is about to happen? Im on PC though and not getting that

gareth
12th September 2008, 10:19 PM
i think be out soon

coolkid092
12th September 2008, 10:20 PM
I get that every 30mins... if i leave itunes for a bit...

Archerfish
12th September 2008, 10:23 PM
I am guessing they are gonna be running their schedule on American Pacific Time...which is currently 5.20am... I don't expect to see the update until at least 1am AEST at the earliest.

DJY
12th September 2008, 10:26 PM
I just tried and got the Carrier Update - then error boxes again...

no sign of 2.1 yet though.

matthew858
12th September 2008, 10:29 PM
But what time would they release it? I would expect it very soon.

themacuser
12th September 2008, 10:32 PM
I saw this and wondered "Why has someone ported a mp3 encoder to the device itself?" :)

coolkid092
12th September 2008, 10:34 PM
My Guess is around 9am Cupertino time...

3hrs?

Archerfish
12th September 2008, 10:35 PM
But what time would they release it? I would expect it very soon.

Really they could choice to release it anytime they want in the period of the next 19 hours... but most likely will be the start of business around 8.30-9am Pacific time.

Archerfish
12th September 2008, 10:36 PM
Dam you beat me

MacRobbo
12th September 2008, 10:46 PM
Is it out yet? Im waiting to upgrade damnit!

coolkid092
12th September 2008, 10:46 PM
Really they could choice to release it anytime they want in the period of the next 19 hours... but most likely will be the start of business around 8.30-9am Pacific time.

Just before bussines maybe? To make sure Apple shops have the new firmware?

coolkid092
12th September 2008, 10:47 PM
Is it out yet? Im waiting to upgrade damnit!

No... Not yet.... :(

WindowsVista
12th September 2008, 10:48 PM
It's 5:48am in Cupertino..bit early!

Ecto1
12th September 2008, 10:49 PM
Well it coming up to 6am there time. I like to think it be out before say 7am so most can update there iphones and show it off to there work mates.

Madone
12th September 2008, 10:51 PM
It's Friday Night FFS get a can of prespective... and enjoy some life, seriously, if sitting at computer waiting for a software upgrade, on a Friday night, is all you muster your energy to do.

In Ramsey's word 'your having a fucking laugh aren't you'!

coolkid092
12th September 2008, 10:52 PM
Is Anyone else clicking the "update button"?

jack112006
12th September 2008, 10:55 PM
lol, im mashing the update button now...

Madone
12th September 2008, 10:55 PM
Is Anyone else clicking the "update button"?

Probably half the fucking world is, and to really piss you off (please do it Steve) they won't flip the switch until the end of Friday in the US, that way, if you end up DDoS the server, nothing you'll be able to do, until the US comes back online, on Tues morning.

coolkid092
12th September 2008, 10:58 PM
The only thing is it'll be another wait to download it... then load it on...:D

coolkid092
12th September 2008, 11:00 PM
6:00am =:(

jack112006
12th September 2008, 11:00 PM
nutin'...

Archerfish
12th September 2008, 11:03 PM
time to play some xbox while i wait

MacRobbo
12th September 2008, 11:10 PM
Maybe wait until 9:00am Cupertino time?
EDIT: I think there doing it now: Apple - iPhone (http://www.apple.com/iphone/)

It says Software Update 2.1, but underneath it says 'the latest software version is 2.0.2'
EDIT: Now it says 2.1

coolkid092
12th September 2008, 11:12 PM
Maybe wait until 9:00am Cupertino time?

Possibly.... They should have done it already... the more they wait the more their severs are going to get slamed...:rolleyes:

areal
It's out.

jack112006
arrghh... u beat me

eversuns
12th September 2008, 11:14 PM
its out!!!

edit: beaten

I will give an update when its installed :)

MacRobbo
12th September 2008, 11:14 PM
2.1 is out!!!! Im downloading now!

jack112006
12th September 2008, 11:15 PM
the speed of the download is slowly getting crushed into nothing...

beatmasterbee
12th September 2008, 11:15 PM
me too! finally!

toholio
12th September 2008, 11:17 PM
the speed of the download is slowly getting crushed into nothing...

That's a damn slow download... Only about 50-100kb/s for me.

beatmasterbee
12th September 2008, 11:18 PM
lol its getting slower and slower....

WindowsVista
12th September 2008, 11:19 PM
My download is flying along...

jack112006
12th September 2008, 11:20 PM
its gotten ever so slightly better... 18 minutes left...

WindowsVista
12th September 2008, 11:21 PM
Mine downloaded in under a minute...iPhone is restarting right now!

jack112006
12th September 2008, 11:22 PM
wow... how fast is ur internet???

Madone
12th September 2008, 11:22 PM
Geez how many threads do we need? I started one earlier today, and now there is hundreds, including from the FL's... FFS

jack112006
12th September 2008, 11:25 PM
any1 successfully updated yet???

WindowsVista
12th September 2008, 11:26 PM
wow... how fast is ur internet???

My speedtest:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/322193362.png (http://www.speedtest.net)
Im on Bigpond Extreme

Madone
12th September 2008, 11:27 PM
Yep all done

jack112006
12th September 2008, 11:28 PM
My speedtest:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/322193362.png (http://www.speedtest.net)
Im on Bigpond Extreme

nice... http://www.speedtest.net/result/322194494.png crappy optus fusion...

jack112006
12th September 2008, 11:29 PM
Yep all done

Is it noticeably better???

Archerfish
12th September 2008, 11:33 PM
woot downloaded and installed

beatmasterbee
12th September 2008, 11:45 PM
im actually doing a complete wipe from scratch for 2.1

long time windows user...

you may laugh....but my exp with iphone OS hasnt been the MacOS fairyland that some people raved about...

jack112006
12th September 2008, 11:48 PM
OMFG... this taking foreva to update...

jack112006
12th September 2008, 11:51 PM
lol, just finished...

jack112006
12th September 2008, 11:53 PM
5 BARS!!!! I used to get 1-2 bars!!!!

mac_man_luke
12th September 2008, 11:56 PM
the thing with that is that your reception is probably no better just they are being more optimistic with the bars

beatmasterbee
12th September 2008, 11:58 PM
anyone else notice its taking forvere to load each song?

dont get me wrong the backup was much quicker!

Mafesto
13th September 2008, 09:48 AM
Done - 3G reception showing more bars (gone from 2-4 at my home) contact lag seems to have gone in contacts and also just getting around the UI, 3G bar has changed it visual, so has 2G bar, artist names in iTunes now displayed on song lists, seems more bug fixes then anything really new.

No real new features that I can see, just better speed and stability and some cosmetic improvements to things.