PDA

View Full Version : Nokia's New Ipod Killer....

iSlayer
28th April 2005, 08:47 AM
Here we go again.
Nokia have launched a phone with a built in hard drive that can play mp3's.
it will have a 4gb Hard Drive.
it will retail for nearly twice as much as a 4g 20gb iPod.
They claim it will outsell iPods which it will for sure but it wont take sales away from ipods i dont think.for that price its just not worth it.

iPod killer... I doubt it

hawker
28th April 2005, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by islayer@Apr 28 2005, 08:47 AM
iPod killer... I doubt it
Ha ha, we've heard this tune before :P

iSlayer
28th April 2005, 08:51 AM
the thing is ugly aswell.
it will sell but the iPod is not going anywhere.
i wonder if the phone will be considered as a mp3 player though.
it could take market share off apple

hawker
28th April 2005, 08:53 AM
post a pic iSlayer? or a link?

Kuma
28th April 2005, 09:12 AM
http://www.nokia.com/nseries/index.html?loc=inside,main_n91

this is the iPod "killer"

Kuma
28th April 2005, 09:21 AM
ha! they are going with windows media player....
there goes most of their market right there....
the website also says that its 4gb hd can hold up to 3000 songs WTF??

my library is 3800 and growing and Im at 14gb.

king89
28th April 2005, 09:22 AM
That phone is pretty ugly.
I imagine to be the same size as the mini, but what is it with those small keys, i remember on the 8850 (the last time I owned a nokia phone) those were really hard to press.

McMullet
28th April 2005, 09:47 AM
I don't think it looks too bad but it doesn't look too good either. The keys look a tad small.

It won't be an iPod killer because it's just too expensive but Nokia have now started something. I wouldn't be surprised to see other companies bringing out products like this. Eventually they'll get cheaper and have more storage so where will that leave the iPod?

adam89
28th April 2005, 09:54 AM
haha guys this wont affect any apple sales at all, i doubt it will even sell that well.

just think of Nokia's previous N Series phones (N Gage), anyone recon that they affected Gameboy Advance sales?

new2aus
28th April 2005, 09:55 AM
Hmmm doesn't look to bad.

My only trouble with devices like this are that they are jack of all trades.

To use this as advertised listening to music, taking pictures, and as a phone I do wonder how quick the battery will run down?

Standby time: up to 190 hours (7 days)
Talk time: up to 3-4 hours

is as advertised. Wonder how long it lasts playing music.......

hawker
28th April 2005, 09:57 AM
Looks terrible...

iPod Mini wins out over it big time :P

If Apple introduce a colour screen accross the whole iPod range, that would be cool :)

Byrd
28th April 2005, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Kuma@Apr 28 2005, 09:21 AM
the website also says that its 4gb hd can hold up to 3000 songs WTF??
Using the so-called "superior" WMA format the Nokia phone uses, music encoded at 64kbps it's possible to fit 3000 songs into 4GB. The main problem is that each file will sound like it's being used in a washing machine :D

JB

fallerg
28th April 2005, 11:02 AM
two concerns.. The price and the battery life. Its trying to be too much- 2mp camera, phone, mp3 player, toaster.... grrr.

And how can that fit 3000 songs? Ipod advertise 1000 on the mini and thats abit much :angry:

McMullet
28th April 2005, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by fallerg@Apr 28 2005, 11:02 AM
two concerns.. The price and the battery life. Its trying to be too much- 2mp camera, phone, mp3 player, toaster.... grrr.
Yeah... it does everything but is good at nothing.

iluvmymactoo
28th April 2005, 12:08 PM
I think a mobile with mp3 player is much more useful than those awful camera/video phones that take really lousy pictures and serve no useful purpose. I mean who goes on holiday and uses their camera phone to take all the snapshots?

But the battery would have to be a major technological break through to challenge the iPod. A phone that is all things surely cannot house a battery that will allow 8 hours of music playing.

The technology is out so in a few years we'll see something better, but until then hold on to your iPods :lol:

the_OM
28th April 2005, 12:35 PM
Like someone said the N-Gage was released with Nokia saying that it would eat into the gameboy market.
When Nokia move away from their core market, mobile phones for business, they do so quite poorly a lot of the time.

Just look at how poorly their current line of 'fashion' phones are going.

downsys
28th April 2005, 01:09 PM
fugly...why do they like the top heavy style so much?

although a plus point for them for having a 3.5mm stereo jack.

the n70 doesn't look too bad though. neither does the n90 (say, Carl Zeiss)

ooda
29th April 2005, 12:27 AM
Still looks like one of the old Sony Ericsons, and that's not a compliment. It's a good idea though, but battery life will still be the big issue. No iPod killer.

zefi
29th April 2005, 07:39 PM
The Nokia-N-GAGE was meant to kill off the Gameboy.

I am cautiously pessimistic.

cmetom
29th April 2005, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by maj3stic@Apr 28 2005, 10:54 AM
just think of Nokia's previous N Series phones (N Gage), anyone recon that they affected Gameboy Advance sales?
fun fact: they wouldn't release data about sales figures because they were that poor. instead they kept quoting a figure which was actually how many they'd shipped to retailers.. :thumbdn:
i hear the 2nd generation n-gage is more popular..

i'm big on "here's my phone, here's my mp3 player, here's my camera" versus "here's my all-in-one gadget".
the new N-series is a jack of all trades, master of none.

LCGuy
29th April 2005, 08:38 PM
The way i see it, why bother having a huge thing that does everything but doesn't do it very well, when you can have several devices that all serve their own purpose and do so very well?

bdanielb
30th April 2005, 05:24 PM
nokias new phone sounds great!

except for the fact its a nokia, i kinda compare the nokias to PCs, and maybe Sony Ericcsons to Macs in terms of friendlyness and usability...

the 4gb hard drive and 2megapixel camera sounds great, especially cos im a big fan of all in one fones...

i thought the new SE W800i (http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=au&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pp1_loader&php=php1_10245&zone=pp&lm=pp1&pid=10245)w as going to be great, but looks like nokia have gone 1 step further....

anyone else planning on buying one of the above?

iSlayer
1st May 2005, 08:22 AM
nokie still havent set a retail price for it but its expected to be over $1000
lets see
4gb ipod mini with cool colors and a $500 motorola phone=$899
nokia phone=over $1000

not a hard choice especially considering its a nokia
they are going to call it an mp3 player aswell so it will look like its taking market share when realistically its a phone not an mp3 player

osxuser
1st May 2005, 08:43 AM
nothing is better than the ipod :) except creative players :)