PDA

View Full Version : How's that Telstra wi-fi cloud?

Rant
10th September 2008, 08:07 AM
As I read it, the advantage Telstra has for its iPhone plans was the free wi-fi.

Any experience of how extensive/effective this network is?

With the new Touch supporting the microphone, if you lived in the clould, you wouldn't need an iPhone.

silverdreamer
10th September 2008, 08:12 AM
As I read it, the advantage Telstra has for its iPhone plans was the free wi-fi.

With the new Touch supporting the microphone, if you lived in the clould, you wouldn't need an iPhone.

The Telstra Wi Fi network is excellent, and they are everywhere.

bennettnz
10th September 2008, 08:13 AM
I connected pretty painlessly on the iphone - seems to work fine.

Rant
10th September 2008, 08:50 AM
And how much of a cloud is it?

snow mani
10th September 2008, 09:15 AM
Telstra have a spreadsheet on their website that details current WiFi locations:

Telstra Wireless Hotspot - Locations (http://telstra.com.au/wirelesshotspots/locations.htm)

How far the WiFi "cloud" extends beyond these locations I do not know.

Hope that helps.

mitty
10th September 2008, 09:25 AM
The pain of having to do that sms thing everytime makes the wifi access juts a tad to annoying. I guess it's good for tele-workers and stuff who travel a lot... seeing as you can use it on any device, you just need your iphone with you to get the token or whatever it's called.

Rant
11th September 2008, 10:52 AM
at the risk of flogging a dead thread - don't you have your phones set to offer wi-fi networks when available ??

i'm after real-world experience here
do you actually use it?
is it free or do you have to pay?
how often do you get offered wi-fi when you're out?

• every time you stop?

• at the coffee shop?
• in the park?
• at the shops?
• in the city?
• in church?
• at friends' houses even if they don't have wi-fi?

is it a big deal or not? (maybe you've got enough data on your plan and don't care)

i.e. is it a selling point or just 'sounds good', but has little practical use

Rant
11th September 2008, 10:55 AM
The pain of having to do that sms thing everytime makes the wifi access juts a tad to annoying. I guess it's good for tele-workers and stuff who travel a lot... seeing as you can use it on any device, you just need your iphone with you to get the token or whatever it's called.

I'm curious about your description, mitty.
Doesn't it just offer you wi-fi and you either accept or not?

Is there a process? SMS for a token??
And to save you too much explanation, is there a URL that explains this process?

thanks for any help you can be... (everyone)

the_doctor
11th September 2008, 10:56 AM
• in church?

I think you have stumbled onto the way to get people back to God. And what a better way than with the Jesus Phone.

Rant
11th September 2008, 11:07 AM
I think you have stumbled onto the way to get people back to God. And what a better way than with the Jesus Phone.

word !

drzeus
11th September 2008, 11:10 AM
I'm curious about your description, mitty.
Doesn't it just offer you wi-fi and you either accept or not?

Is there a process? SMS for a token??
And to save you too much explanation, is there a URL that explains this process?

thanks for any help you can be... (everyone)

To my understanding when the notice of "Telstra xxx" Wifi pops up you launch your browser but must enter your mobile number, receive a special token SMS to your phone then re-enter that token on the browser before you can get onto the wider internet.

This must be done EVERY time you connect and disconnect! So if you drop out of range and then back on or your session times out, this must be repeated. HIGHLY irritating I would think...and why go through all that hassle when other providers generally offer very generous 3G data plans in the metropolitan areas where Telstra Wifi is often available.

I'm sorry but I can see NO use for it if you're on a generous download plan....just not worth the hassle of SMS tokens and stuff.

Mecha
11th September 2008, 03:22 PM
• in church?

Tut, tut. Shouldnt you be paying attention to whats going on, and not surfing the web! :cool:

Rant
11th September 2008, 04:21 PM
Tut, tut. Shouldnt you be paying attention to whats going on, and not surfing the web! :cool:

Far be it from me to suggest that people check up what they're being told when they're being asked to make decisions that affect their future...

- - - - - -

Actually, a lot of business goes on at church, maybe not during the service...

for example, imagine the preacher/minister looking up ideas for a sermon on the internet with their iPhone before they 'go on'.

or checking how much more money needs to be raised so that the ministry can build that edifice ...

or just checking the cricket scores, one last time.

don't get me started...

Point is, perfectly legit uses for the internet... anywhere, really.

how's the cloud, by the way?
anybody actually using it?
maybe I'm asking too soon & need to wait for a few more over-usage charges to come in and people start looking for ways to minimise 3G data usage

silverdreamer
11th September 2008, 04:33 PM
To my understanding when the notice of "Telstra xxx" Wifi pops up you launch your browser but must enter your mobile number, receive a special token SMS to your phone then re-enter that token on the browser before you can get onto the wider internet.

This must be done EVERY time you connect and disconnect! So if you drop out of range and then back on or your session times out, this must be repeated. HIGHLY irritating I would think...and why go through all that hassle when other providers generally offer very generous 3G data plans in the metropolitan areas where Telstra Wifi is often available.

I'm sorry but I can see NO use for it if you're on a generous download plan....just not worth the hassle of SMS tokens and stuff.

You do make some silly statements Dude, really!
How many times do you expect to go out of range while sitting in a coffee shop, and the session does not time out until you log off? :rolleyes: Hotspots, regardless of provider, are not meant to be accessed while your driving down the highway that's why they invented 3G.

As for the sms token log on, it takes moment, and is no more of a pain than logging into a website.

stevensr34
11th September 2008, 09:10 PM

I see you are from Brisbane too...

From the list of Hot-spots in Brisbane, it appears utterly useless unless you live in Maccas, Starbucks or the airport...

I haven't yet found myself in one.

Rob.

dotmike
12th September 2008, 12:32 PM

This must be done EVERY time you connect and disconnect!

Are you sure? Do you have a Telstra plan based iPhone?

While that is indeed the correct process for most phones and laptop access - I've used Telstra Wi-Fi on my MacBook a few times at McDonalds and did the SMS token thing - the way I understood it worked on the iPhone was different...

My understanding was that there was some interaction between the "telstra.iph" APN and the Wi-Fi to bypass the login page on iPhones.

Note, this is only from memory when I was looking at the Telstra plans.

Can anyone who actually has a Telstra plan iPhone confirm?

Mac Ram
12th September 2008, 12:47 PM
Are you sure? Do you have a Telstra plan based iPhone?

While that is indeed the correct process for most phones and laptop access - I've used Telstra Wi-Fi on my MacBook a few times at McDonalds and did the SMS token thing - the way I understood it worked on the iPhone was different...

My understanding was that there was some interaction between the "telstra.iph" APN and the Wi-Fi to bypass the login page on iPhones.

Note, this is only from memory when I was looking at the Telstra plans.

Can anyone who actually has a Telstra plan iPhone confirm?

Nah, you have to do the sms thingy. But as silverdreamer says it's not really a pain - however I tend to find cafe's that offer free wi-fi a lot more tempting than maccas.

Have a looky here (http://www.freewifi.com.au/region_qld.php)

I think Testra are/were going to set it up so that iPhones bypassed the sms thingy - unless they've done it in the last few weeks.

silverdreamer
12th September 2008, 01:08 PM
I still think people are hugely overestimating the amount of Data they will use on the iPhone. The amount of data you would generally use, simply surfing the web while you enjoy a coffee is negligible, and anyone who is downloading huge files on the road, (unless it's necessary for business purposes),rather than take advantage of the home wi-fi option, is just being silly. Even using youtube on the train is ridiculous when you have the option of watching pre recorded movies and tv shows that cost no more than 'battery life" to run.

So unless you want to log on at one of these hot spots to actually download large files or watch a youtube video, then your probably not going to save a great amount on your usage anyway.

I am playing with mine all the time, (the iPhone I mean!:p), and I am struggling to use anywhere near 100 mb, let alone the 300 I have on my allowance.

Mac Ram
12th September 2008, 01:21 PM
I am struggling to use anywhere near 100 mb, let alone the 300 I have on my allowance.

Agreed. I only do light surfing on mine, on the train etc, refresh RSS's for the train journey and that's about it really.

woofy
12th September 2008, 01:55 PM
Just a FYI as a few people have DS's on here, you can play any wifi game free using the Telstra hotspots. Having said that though, I was annoyed when Telstra moved all the airport ones into the club lounges, as that was one place I used it a bit.

tcn33
28th October 2008, 09:14 PM
It's thread necrophilia time!

I can't find this anywhere here or on Telstra's site, so: does usage of Telstra wifi hotspots (e.g the whole Melbourne CBD) count against your data allowance, or is it actually free? i.e do you need to factor in just the time you're outside the reach of Telstra hotspots when working out how much data you'll need, or should you be counting that as well?

mitty
28th October 2008, 09:22 PM
Breaking news by the way... wifi is going to be free at all Telstra hotspots at Mcdonalds stores, regardless of device.

DarkSpark
28th October 2008, 09:32 PM
It's thread necrophilia time!

I can't find this anywhere here or on Telstra's site, so: does usage of Telstra wifi hotspots (e.g the whole Melbourne CBD) count against your data allowance, or is it actually free? i.e do you need to factor in just the time you're outside the reach of Telstra hotspots when working out how much data you'll need, or should you be counting that as well?

It's free, it does not count against your data allowance.

Rant
28th October 2008, 09:32 PM
Good question - Is it free to access the network, but you still have to pay for the data? (like a private wi-fi network)

Or is it free to access the network and it doesn't count against your quota?

On a private wi-fi network, the owner of the network pays for the data and part of the access fee for using a 'paid' wi-fi network covers the data used.

The trick is to find Telstra customers to answer the question.

Although, anybody who signed up on launch day (apparently, according to urban legend), didn't know what the plans cost or what the plans entailed, so they might not care so much about these details.

DarkSpark
28th October 2008, 09:35 PM
Good question - Is it free to access the network, but you still have to pay for the data? (like a private wi-fi network)

Or is it free to access the network and it doesn't count against your quota?

On a private wi-fi network, the owner of the network pays for the data and part of the access fee for using a 'paid' wi-fi network covers the data used.

The trick is to find Telstra customers to answer the question.

Although, anybody who signed up on launch day (apparently, according to urban legend), didn't know what the plans cost or what the plans entailed, so they might not care so much about these details.

What part of FREE!, do you not understand?:p

Rant
28th October 2008, 10:05 PM
What part of FREE!, do you not understand?:p

"Telstra’s FairPlay and Acceptable Use Policies apply" for starters.

Try not to be so rude.

kevinnugent
29th October 2008, 12:42 PM
Breaking news by the way... wifi is going to be free at all Telstra hotspots at Mcdonalds stores, regardless of device.

Yeah, so now our Optus iPhones will get free wifi at McDonalds too.... excellent!

Rant
29th October 2008, 12:48 PM
not so sure Optus will get free Telstra wi-fi, the Courier Mail article was very loosely worded, but I'm sure it's Telstra only. They've just extend the iPhone deal to other (Telstra) phones...

kevinnugent
29th October 2008, 12:50 PM
But McDonalds have announce free wifi for everyone from the end of this year.

McDonalds Australia to rollout free wifi - Analysis (http://wotnews.com.au/like/mcdonalds_australia_to_rollout_free_wifi/2619898/)

http://wirelesslans.net.au/wireless_shop/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=1

Rant
29th October 2008, 03:48 PM
Best I can find out is.. (thanks to Free Wireless Internet and Broadband Wireless Internet Access for Laptops (http://www.freewifi.com.au))

DETAILS :
McDonald's Restaurants who offer FREE WiFi Hotspots, enables customers with a wireless compatible laptop, phone or PDA (802.11b/g protocol) to gain free internet access in participating restaurants.

CONDITIONS :
Internet sessions are not time-constrained but do have a 50MB limit applied.

No Purchase is necessary and no User/Logon Codes are required. Simply connect to the 'McDonald's FREE WiFi' SSID Network Signal within the restaurant, agree to the terms and conditions and you are Online !!!

Which is good news for iPhone owners (only because they can't use that much), but MacBook owners might choke on a 50MB limit ! That's one podcast.

Edit: still haven't found out what the Terms and Conditions are... what personal data are we trading for "free" internet ?