PDA

View Full Version : How do I unlock my iphone?

nightelves
9th September 2008, 09:17 PM
Hi just wanted to know whats the latest hacking tool out there and where can I find it? I'm running itune 7.7.1 btw if that helps. Thanks

Mac Ram
9th September 2008, 09:24 PM
Do you have a 3g iPhone? If so, as far as I know there is no hack yet to unlock. But you can buy an unlocked phone from Telstra/Optus/Voda etc - for an unlock fee. Forum search is your friend.

If previous gen iPhone, then search for pwnage - in fact you may find it in the stickies.

arkenstone
9th September 2008, 09:28 PM
Hi just wanted to know whats the latest hacking tool out there and where can I find it? I'm running itune 7.7.1 btw if that helps. Thanks

What sort of unlock? 'Jailbreak' so you can put non authorised apps on it or 'unlocked' so you can use it on any network?

POST 666!

Hex
14th September 2008, 11:55 AM
Hey I was also wondering if there was an unlock available to use any sim in your iPhone I have an iPhone 3G

decryption
14th September 2008, 11:56 AM
Hey I was also wondering if there was an unlock available to use any sim in your iPhone

For 3G iPhone - you don't need to do this. Just contact your carrier and ask them to unlock it. It may incur a fee, but it's legit.

For 1st-Gen iPhone, you need to use the Pwnage tool.

Hex
14th September 2008, 12:03 PM
so there is no way of doing it yet without contacting my service provider?? They quoted me $150- which is utter bull shit as I am on a 24 month contract I only need the unlock for a few days when I holiday over seas but there is no way I am paying $150- just for that so I really need a way around it if there is one available otherwise paying roaming fees might be cheaper.

eLMafUDd
14th September 2008, 03:09 PM
What carrier are you with? I know optus, if you are on a contract, will unlock your phone for no charge.

Hex
14th September 2008, 03:15 PM
Im with Teletra only decent option around here

Piratbyran
14th September 2008, 03:22 PM
*facepalm*

decent?

Hex
14th September 2008, 03:24 PM
*facepalm*

decent?

Uhh what does that mean is that an App or something?

EDIT: After Doing a quick google search and viewing a youtube movie i think I regret that question

Exocet
14th September 2008, 03:35 PM
*facepalm*

decent?

Notice that his location is 'Country Victoria'? No other carrier provides 3G coverage in rural areas - therefore his claim of 'decent' is 100% valid.

Hex
14th September 2008, 03:40 PM
Not exactly rural but yes Telstra is by far the best choice for 3G around here

EDIT: So is there "NO" method of sim unlocking for iPhone 3G that does not involve paying out to Telstra?

Exocet
14th September 2008, 03:44 PM
Unfortunately not, you'll have to pony up the $150.

abure
14th September 2008, 03:47 PM
just ring them and tell them your story.

i had my old phone unlocked for free by telstra, for my honeymoon earlier this year. Granted i did ring 3 times til i got a nice person ;)

Hex
14th September 2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks mate, I think ill just pay international roaming that will probably end up cheaper. If all I do is make sure I don't use Data I got quoted $15.00 per megabyte which is insane I should be fine :-)

Hex
14th September 2008, 03:49 PM
just ring them and tell them your story.

i had my old phone unlocked for free by telstra, for my honeymoon earlier this year. Granted i did ring 3 times til i got a nice person ;)

Cheers mate I will try the sob story to then :-) Just out of curiosity how far through you contract where you for them to do that? I have a feeling its so expensive because my contract is only a few months old.

macropneuma
14th September 2008, 04:02 PM
If in the future you folks are still waiting to find an unofficial-free unlock, then the pages to watch are:

The unofficial, official iPhone Dev' Team blog: -> blog.iphone-dev.org (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/)
and their general portal which has their wiki: -> iPhone Dev Team Portal [iPhone Dev Team] (http://iphone-dev.org/)
The famous Geohot 's blog: -> On the iPhone (http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/)
and more to learn all about this stuff than find the first announcement of a new software unlock, is the iPhone wiki: -> Main Page - The iPhone Wiki (http://theiphonewiki.com/)

:)