PDA

View Full Version : Disk Utility - Burn To An External Dvd Drive?

Kildare
28th April 2005, 01:11 AM
I hooked up my Pioneer DVR-108 to my iBook via Firewire & it is detected & works great via Toast but the Apple Disk Utility will not let me select it as a recording device. :(

It does appear as some random "Initio" device when a blank DVD-R is inserted but it is flagged as read only & does not appear as an option within the utility.

Any ideas?
Ta :)

gaehl
28th April 2005, 01:25 AM
Have a look at Patchburn (http://www.patchburn.de/index.html) its what i use with my external DVD burner.

PatchBurn is a tool to patch existing CD/DVD-drivers (under Mac-OS X 10.2.x) or to generate and install new device profiles (under Mac-OS 10.3.x and later)

It allows many, otherwise unsupported burners to be used directly with Mac-OS X, iTunes and DiscBurner.

Kildare
28th April 2005, 01:57 PM
My hero! B)
All good now. Thanks.

invisible
11th May 2005, 12:50 PM
Im really annoyed with mac and external DVD burners too... i bought a Lacie one off from a mac store only to find that it was unsupported by apple, and i couldnt get a refund.

now i have this beautifully porsche designed burner that cost me $400 and doesnt work. *sigh* ;)

gaehl
11th May 2005, 01:04 PM
invisible have you tried patchburn linked in my post above. That Lacie could end up working.

Edited for english and making sense :)

invisible
11th May 2005, 01:10 PM
ive placed the Pfurz and Hurz files to the home folder before, it has given me moderate success. for a burner sold by apple (and on the website), it is still no where as easy as burning a cd in itunes or toast. the ratio is usually about 5 duds to every 1 good burn.

thanks for the link though. i just installed it and ill hope for the best. thanks

tempestas
11th May 2005, 01:33 PM
Invisible

have you checked the Lacie (http://www.lacie.com) website?

There are drivers on that site for Mac OS X for all their external drivers and yours will work once you have applied the driver, I know mine works a treat.

gaehl
11th May 2005, 01:37 PM
invisible with the amount of coaster (miss-burns) your getting I would be either questioning the media or the Burner. As I am using a LG burner in a no-name brand firewire enclosure with no problems.

QueenOfSwords
11th May 2005, 03:42 PM
FWIW - Tiger is *much* better with external drives. If you use Finder to create a 'burn folder', and drag what you need burned into the folder, It Just Works with my external iomega SuperDVD. Very happy.

invisible
15th May 2005, 02:04 AM
I think it could be the brand of DVDs I have been purchasing however after using patchburn i have had a much higher success rate.. even buit up my confidence to burn at 4x as opposed to 1x. Hopefully tiger and iLife 05 will prove to work perfectly.

thanks for your help guys. this is a great forum!