PDA

View Full Version : Cancelling Contract With Optus - Keeping The Phone?

MacRobbo
9th September 2008, 02:48 PM
Is there anyway? If I can go twelve months with them and decide 'Ive had too many issues' If I cancel what happens if I refuse to hand the Phone back and refuse to pay the cancelling bill? What can they do about it? Of course id get it unlocked first.

Id rather be with Three.

gaehl
9th September 2008, 02:50 PM
What can they do about it hmm put bad marks on your credit rating, send debt collectors after you.

wait is the phone on a 12 or 24 month contract?

MacRobbo
9th September 2008, 02:56 PM
24 months, theyre such a bad carrier though. What if I made a fuss? Three has better data.

Mac Ram
9th September 2008, 03:00 PM
You want to cancel a contract without paying the cancellation fee, and walk away with the phone without paying for the equipment charges?

Am I understanding right?

Why not walk into a shop and just walk out with stuff......
Or not pay your mortgage/rent.......

MacRobbo
9th September 2008, 03:03 PM
Nevermind, forget I made this thread. Can it be closed, but before it is one more question:
After twelve months do I still have to pay 75 dollars to get the iphone unlocked?

grorr76
9th September 2008, 03:03 PM
You want to cancel a contract without paying the cancellation fee, and walk away with the phone without paying for the equipment charges?

Am I understanding right?

Why not walk into a shop and just walk out with stuff......
Or not pay your mortgage/rent.......

he's kidding himself a contract is a contract. You pay it out or stay the length of it. Might teach some, to stop and think before signing a legal document. If you feel compelled to buy something take a breath read the in's and outs then ask yourself , is this for me?

tcn33
9th September 2008, 03:04 PM
If I cancel what happens if I refuse to hand the Phone back and refuse to pay the cancelling bill?
You don't even have the option to hand the phone back - you agreed to purchase it. Your remaining handset repayments, as well as the cancellation fee you agreed to when you signed the contract, are payable on cancellation of the service.

If you fail to honour the contract then a) you'll be sent to collections and b) you may not be able to get a postpaid service from any telco ever again.

After twelve months do I still have to pay 75 dollars to get the iphone unlocked?
It's unlockable at any time for free if you're on a postpaid contract.

Shaxbon
9th September 2008, 03:04 PM
What can they do about it? Of course id get it unlocked first.

Oh I don't know, take you to court, sue you for cancelling the contract, give you a bad credit rating which will affect you in the future and they'll most likely send out debit collectors.

What are you like 12? I don't understand people who don't take accountability for their actions and decisions in life. You can't sign a contract and just renege on your promise without consequences.

MacRobbo
9th September 2008, 03:09 PM
No im 15. I already said forget I made this thread, due to how stupid I am.

tcn33 I am on postpaid, but im sure I heard somewhere its not free until a certain point? Are you sure?

wholikespotatoes
9th September 2008, 03:16 PM
I am on postpaid, but im sure I heard somewhere its not free until a certain point? Are you sure?

Yeh Im optus postpaid but unlocked my phone at no cost.

Ecto1
9th September 2008, 03:19 PM
Oh look another post about optus.

scokim
9th September 2008, 03:23 PM
Id rather be with Three.

Can anyone confirm that Three is a techincally superior network to Optus from the consurmer perspective ?
I see that most people have been blinded by Optus' commercially attractive data plan but what's the reason for going to Three ? Better network coverage or price plan?

I think I'll be going back to Telstra after my 12-mnth contract with Optus.

WhiteiPhone
9th September 2008, 06:05 PM
Can anyone confirm that Three is a techincally superior network to Optus from the consurmer perspective ?
I see that most people have been blinded by Optus' commercially attractive data plan but what's the reason for going to Three ? Better network coverage or price plan?

I think I'll be going back to Telstra after my 12-mnth contract with Optus.

think of 3 as telstra.
3 taps onto telstras coverage when roaming on 3G

tcn33
9th September 2008, 06:10 PM
tcn33 I am on postpaid, but im sure I heard somewhere its not free until a certain point? Are you sure?

Very.

iPhone
13th September 2008, 09:24 AM
Ignore this

matthew858
13th September 2008, 09:29 AM
What is the unlocking fee on an Optus postpaid iPhone?

tcn33
13th September 2008, 09:31 AM
Zero.

IIe2PB
13th September 2008, 10:25 AM
I want to return my phone under the Optus coverage guarantee. I'm happy to pay for the phone (full price). Will they let me do that?

Piratbyran
13th September 2008, 10:35 AM
No im 15. I already said forget I made this thread, due to how stupid I am.

Hold on did YOU sign the contract?

Then feel free to break it. Its not legal.

MacRobbo
13th September 2008, 10:41 AM
nevermind, im going to get it unlocked tomorrow. It is free though right?

cmrn
13th September 2008, 10:50 AM
nevermind, im going to get it unlocked tomorrow. It is free though right?

I don't know, lets review the answers to this question in this thread:

It's unlockable at any time for free if you're on a postpaid contract.

Yeh Im optus postpaid but unlocked my phone at no cost.

And:

What is the unlocking fee on an Optus postpaid iPhone?

Zero.

Hmmm... It is a bit unclear to me what the answer is.

themessup
13th September 2008, 11:04 AM
Oh look another post about optus.

MacRobbo asked a good question. If you don't like it, no one is making you read it :) You can turn off the iPhone threads.

IIe2PB
13th September 2008, 11:51 AM
I want to return my phone under the Optus coverage guarantee. I'm happy to pay for the phone (full price). Will they let me do that?

So, any ideas about this?

silverdreamer
13th September 2008, 12:34 PM
So, any ideas about this?

I assume then that 2.1 has not made a major difference for you?

IIe2PB
13th September 2008, 02:37 PM
I assume then that 2.1 has not made a major difference for you?

It looks better, but the same things keep happening... ie switching to gsm etc. I've done the sums, and it's $500 more a year to have the phone on Telstra :o My wife has given me the ok but I'm struggling to justify it. :o

The problem is I'll never be happy with it like it is. At work I can't use it as a media player as every 4 minutes it starts gsm polling D-D-D-D through my noise cancelling headphones!

Mac Ram
13th September 2008, 02:41 PM
MacRobbo asked a good question.

You're kidding right.....you must be....god, I hope you are.....

tcn33
13th September 2008, 03:25 PM
They're not supposed to, no. Every time someone cancels under the coverage guarantee a satchel is sent out for the device to be returned. I'm not sure what happens if you don't send it back - could be one of two things: a) they could just bill you for the phone, or b) they could consider the contract to not be cancelled. I can check it out further on Tuesday if you want.

silverdreamer
13th September 2008, 03:40 PM
It looks better, but the same things keep happening... ie switching to gsm etc. I've done the sums, and it's $500 more a year to have the phone on Telstra :o My wife has given me the ok but I'm struggling to justify it. :o

The problem is I'll never be happy with it like it is. At work I can't use it as a media player as every 4 minutes it starts gsm polling D-D-D-D through my noise cancelling headphones!

Just find something else you can save $10 a week on and she will be happy, and so will you.

WhiteiPhone
13th September 2008, 09:01 PM
http://www.lawstuff.org.au/Page.asp?PageID=1435&Section=Topics&state=nsw