PDA

View Full Version : Setting the default number

xerodude
9th September 2008, 09:26 AM
Hi all...

I am obviously missing something here. How the heck do I set a default phone number on multiple number contacts?

Thanks.!!!

uncyherb
9th September 2008, 10:11 AM
I'm not sure I get what you're asking to do...

Are you hoping to have one phone number applied to a bunch of different people in your contacts? If so then you'll have to add the number to each contact individually (the quickest way would be in address book via the computer you're syncing to).

If it's something different, then please explain further.

xerodude
9th September 2008, 10:59 AM
Sorry....

If I have a contact (ie Fred), that has 4 numbers, how do I set one one to be default?

m_242
9th September 2008, 11:04 AM
The question doesn't really make sense to me. Why do you need to set a default number? When you want to dial a contact, you automatically have access to all of the contact's phone numbers. You can of course set the order in which the numbers appear in an entry for any particular contact.

You can also set up a list of favourites which uses one of the numbers belonging to a contact (in that sense it is that contact's default number).

fother
9th September 2008, 11:11 AM
Yeah, there's not really a 'default'.

Hmm, do you mean
- in Contacts (where you see all the numbers, ordered as you please, and press the one you want to call),
- or in Phone (favorites tab) where you put whichever number or numbers you want,
- or in some other app?

uncyherb
9th September 2008, 11:26 AM
The question doesn't really make sense to me. Why do you need to set a default number? When you want to dial a contact, you automatically have access to all of the contact's phone numbers. You can of course set the order in which the numbers appear in an entry for any particular contact.

You can also set up a list of favourites which uses one of the numbers belonging to a contact (in that sense it is that contact's default number).

The favourites is how I deal with this for my GF, parents and so on... other than that I don't want the iPhone to start dialing a number it "thinks" I want to use for someone without me specifically telling it to do so.

xerodude
9th September 2008, 11:35 AM
Favourites has solved it.

Thank you all.