PDA

View Full Version : Lamest reason given to NOT buy the iPhone

wmyeoh
8th September 2008, 07:37 PM
hi guys,

What is the worst reason you have been told not to buy the iPhone?

A girl I know was told by a telstra salesman that she should get her hands on the HTC Touch Diamond which was far superior to the iPhone because...you can Bluetooth files across to your computer. Forget that she didn't even know what this meant, or how to do it, or that she hasn't even done it since. Oh yeah, and she actually fell for it.

Domenic
8th September 2008, 07:40 PM
"It doesn't have MMS!"

"Nah, I don't like touchscreens." Then the next day - LOOK AT THAT NEW HTC DIAMOND! IT HAS A TOUCH SCREEN!

AnthoMac
8th September 2008, 07:44 PM
Copy Paste! Oh wait apparently that's actually breaking people's hearts. (I wouldn't know - I have a Nokia 6300!)

themessup
8th September 2008, 07:45 PM
Someone said, as I was holding mine, it was shit because it didn't come with a 'pen'. FAIL.

cmrn
8th September 2008, 07:46 PM
Lamest reason I have heard:
I have a Nokia 6300

Ecto1
8th September 2008, 07:50 PM
Someone i know dont want one, coz the screen is to touch sensative .

boddiz
8th September 2008, 07:54 PM
"because it doesnt come in pink"

On another note, when showed my grandma, she goes:
"how do you dial with only one button?"

PatrickH
8th September 2008, 07:55 PM
"I don't like Apple"

"2MP Camera. Only?"

scokim
8th September 2008, 08:00 PM
No visual voicemail as advertised.

timothy
8th September 2008, 08:01 PM
"I would scratch it too easily", as if it has to remain in perfect condition forever.

themessup
8th September 2008, 08:02 PM

GOLD :thumbup:

cmrn
8th September 2008, 08:03 PM

Answer: Morse code.

Geoff3DMN
8th September 2008, 08:08 PM
Someone said, as I was holding mine, it was shit because it didn't come with a 'pen'. FAIL.

It isn't shit because of that but it is slower to type with because it doesn't have a stylus.

A stylus is about 5mm across and my finger tips are roughly 15mm across and that simply reduces accuracy and speed.

Having said that it's not very often one needs to create long typed documents on an iphone.

silverdreamer
8th September 2008, 08:10 PM
It isn't shit because of that but it is slower to type with because it doesn't have a stylus.

A stylus is about 5mm across and my finger tips are roughly 15mm across and that simply reduces accuracy and speed.

Having said that it's not very often one needs to create long typed documents on an iphone.

Use a lighter touch, you only need the smallest contact with the screen, I like the keyboard, I've become quite used to it.

Oops!, off topic! :rolleyes:

cmrn
8th September 2008, 08:10 PM

IMHO: 2 Thumbs > 1 stylus.

The autocorrect catches most of the errors...

moth
8th September 2008, 08:16 PM
My mate who works for telstra had a crack at me for getting one by saying

"Were you are one of those caught up in the MAC hysteria and didn't realise the thing is actually no good??"

He then went on to list various dot points as to why it is no good

• can't transfer files via Bluetooth
• no AC charger - USB only
•*can't use as modem
• no replaceable battery (in-built battery)
• can only ever use the one SIM in the device
• no MMS
• no video call
• no cut & paste
•*no flash
• no voice dialling

with the funniest being...

• must register with iTunes before use

He obviously doesn't understand how ipods work. I quickly put him in his place

adamjc
8th September 2008, 08:20 PM
It wont work with Windows as it is Apple...

Yes it is true, that was a reason given to me by someone at work when I was showing them my iPhone and I suggested they buy one.

resonance
8th September 2008, 08:20 PM
I already have an iPhone 2G..

The next day I went out and got a 3G.

I have no willpower

gelfie
8th September 2008, 08:23 PM
I love the keyboard. And have become quite adept at it. I can type quickly on it. Now MY fingers may not always be hitting the right keys, but the predictive text is UNCANNY in its ability to figure out what you were aiming for.

On the odd occasion I do have to delete a word and start it from scratch, but generally it is very speedy and accurate. And sure as hell easier and quicker than the old three letters per key approach on most mobiles.

My only keyboard complaint is there is no shortcut for a comma on the main keyboard.

PatrickH
8th September 2008, 08:30 PM
It wont work with Windows as it is Apple...

WTH? Yet they're proberly transferring songs from their "My Music" folder onto their iPod.

:confused:

adamd
8th September 2008, 08:36 PM
...• no AC charger - USB only...

BWWWAAA. Like hell it does not have an AC charger.

They may be optional, but like you'll ever need one, especially if you're a Mac nerd :)

TheWatchman
8th September 2008, 08:39 PM
BWWWAAA. Like hell it does not have an AC charger.

They may be optional, but like you'll ever need one, especially if you're a Mac nerd :)

Best part is, you don't even have to buy it separately, it comes with it :D

LithgowLights
8th September 2008, 08:58 PM
these were in regards to the iPhone 3G:

1. Oh the GPS only uses mobile phone towers to get your position, not satellites

2. You cant copy ANY of the photographs off the phone. The only way is to email them to your PC

3. You have to buy ALL the music you play on the iPhone from iTunes. You cant use your own mp3's

4. Podcasts cost money, even for ones like those from Triple M & Nova radio stations.

5. Email - you can only use accounts like Yahoo, Hotmail etc, not your own ISP or own domain accounts as you need a html type web interface to log in & read the mail like you do on your own PC at home

These were all from the same person.... Jeremy from the Apple store in Sydney!!!!!!

Sigh... 10 mins on the net fixed all these up and I bought direct from Optus not the Apple store!

jetsetkiwi
8th September 2008, 09:03 PM
The Urban Dictionary quotes it as a rich pricks device, or something like that

drewbles
8th September 2008, 09:04 PM
IMHO: 2 Thumbs > 1 stylus.

The autocorrect catches most of the errors...

+1

After having used both phones with stylus and without, the Apple interface, whilst taking a while to get used to, is far superior.

Anyway, I digest. The lamest reason I've heard is that they dont like the colour, but they all own black or silver nokias. go figure.

WhiteiPhone
8th September 2008, 09:23 PM
i work for telstras customer support side and ive had a few bosses not get it because they cannot run a windows alternative on it (even if they have a all mac office)
i like saying get a diamond and they instantly say "YUK"

wmyeoh
8th September 2008, 11:27 PM
Another one I heard - "my wife/gf/fiancée would get too pissed off with me using it all the time instead of paying attention to her". Oh wait that probably is a valid reason.

wmyeoh
8th September 2008, 11:32 PM
+1

After having used both phones with stylus and without, the Apple interface, whilst taking a while to get used to, is far superior.

Anyway,I digest. The lamest reason I've heard is that they dont like the colour, but they all own black or silver nokias. go figure.

That's probably a good thing. I read somewhere it was healthy :p

shujin
8th September 2008, 11:35 PM
Another one I heard - "my wife/gf/fiancée would get too pissed off with me using it all the time instead of paying attention to her". Oh wait that probably is a valid reason.

I overcame that by playing multiplayer games with my bf like Tap Tap, Carrie's Dots or pseudo-two player games like Chimps Ahoy! :D

And he's content with that :D

.... wait. Hold on. He's the one who's so engrossed with his own geeky stuff that this is probably the only way I can get him to spend quality time with me! :p

Johnny Appleseed
8th September 2008, 11:35 PM
The stylus is probably the main reason I never bought a PDA until the iPhone. It just seems like a hassle having this extra piece floating around.

A mate of mine was on the verge of getting an iPhone, but ended up getting a Nokia for the Bluetooth file transfer and MMS.

arkenstone
9th September 2008, 10:43 AM

I've had this too. "i prefer a stylus". These people have absolutely no idea about what the iphone is about. It's about bringing simplicity in a UI to the masses.

Take Mario Kart on the Wii for example. Hand someone (parents for example) a Wii Remote and tell them how to steer and how to accelerate and they don't want to know about it. Put the Wii remote in a round plastic thing and suddenly it becomes a lot more natural to them.

Same deal for little sticks of plastic and big pink things attached to your hand. My mum can use my iPhone - but she's unable to work pretty much any other phone on the planet as she's too scared to try. She becomes quickly overwhelmed and fed up with the whole experience.

On the iphone you move your finger around and it does (most of) what you want.

Now lets get application updating working and GPS working without incessant reboots and I'm a very happy man.

Geoff3DMN
9th September 2008, 11:06 AM
I've had this too. "i prefer a stylus". These people have absolutely no idea about what the iphone is about. It's about bringing simplicity in a UI to the masses.

I'm not saying that the iPhone UI isn't about bringing simplicity in a UI to the masses, in fact I believe you when you say that it is :)

However as a 'power user' that very simplicity has it's downsides, one of which is the lack of a stylus which permits more accurate selection of smaller areas. But yes that was a trade off that Apple probably had to make in order to have that simplicity.

But have you ever tried selecting amongst squares that are only 2 or 3 mm across accurately without a stylus and using a finger? Pretty damn hard... which is why the on screen keyboard used on the iPhone is so annoyingly large.

On most of the PDA's I've owned the tap screen (which was slower than Graffiti btw) only took up about 20% of the screen estate, on the iphone (SMS as an example) it takes up about 50%.

So yeah, they had to do it... but that doesn't mean I like that particular choice. It just means that other features outweigh that particular disadvantage.

nando
9th September 2008, 11:51 AM
OT:
one very lame though valid reason is .. if u have very fat fingers...

dotmike
9th September 2008, 11:53 AM
You'd be amazed at how many (female) people I know who have bought a Prada phone thinking it's much the same as an iPhone but is from a label so is cooler.

So my lamest reason is:

"Because it doesn't have Prada on the front."

Japester
9th September 2008, 11:57 AM
these were in regards to the iPhone 3G:

1. Oh the GPS only uses mobile phone towers to get your position, not satellites

2. You cant copy ANY of the photographs off the phone. The only way is to email them to your PC

3. You have to buy ALL the music you play on the iPhone from iTunes. You cant use your own mp3's

4. Podcasts cost money, even for ones like those from Triple M & Nova radio stations.

5. Email - you can only use accounts like Yahoo, Hotmail etc, not your own ISP or own domain accounts as you need a html type web interface to log in & read the mail like you do on your own PC at home

These were all from the same person.... Jeremy from the Apple store in Sydney!!!!!!

Sigh... 10 mins on the net fixed all these up and I bought direct from Optus not the Apple store!

I don't get this. Surely this guy wasn't an Apple employee. Was he a carrier rep? I'm aghast that this was said in the Apple Store.

Japester
9th September 2008, 11:58 AM
You'd be amazed at how many (female) people I know who have bought a Prada phone thinking it's much the same as an iPhone but is from a label so is cooler.

So my lamest reason is:

Funny thing is, Apple is a "label" too (their products are fashionable and popular)! :p

LithgowLights
9th September 2008, 12:25 PM
I don't get this. Surely this guy wasn't an Apple employee. Was he a carrier rep? I'm aghast that this was said in the Apple Store.

Yep he was an apple rep selling phones. I have already "complained" to apple regarding his poor training. Alas I have had no reply.

wmyeoh
9th September 2008, 08:47 PM

So my lamest reason is:

hahaha. that's gold.

macnwindows
11th September 2008, 05:24 PM
I have heard that touch screens are not as good as phycial keyboards and generally stop working after sometime. How can you pay so much for a device without a keyboard?!

Blue Water Boy
11th September 2008, 06:08 PM
"It doesn't have MMS!"

"Nah, I don't like touchscreens." Then the next day - LOOK AT THAT NEW HTC DIAMOND! IT HAS A TOUCH SCREEN!

hahah is aw one of those today..it has the same keyboard as a regular phone but in a touch interface....HAHAHAHAHAHA

Blue Water Boy
11th September 2008, 06:09 PM
GOLD :thumbup:

heheh +1

james the 2nd
11th September 2008, 06:21 PM
Lamest: "It doesn't replace my desktop computer.."

:thumbdn:

Nolanistic
12th September 2008, 11:14 AM
Most of the lame ones have been "I don't like Apple". Okay, then don't use a good product, fine with me.

forno
12th September 2008, 12:46 PM
I noticed an add in a Telstra brochure for the HTC and i showed the back face of the phone:eek:

I concluded tha anyone that buys one has zero style appreciation:thumbdn: