PDA

View Full Version : Mac compatible scanner

larfinboy
19th May 2004, 04:06 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm in the market for a flatbed scanner for my Mac and was after some feedback from people about their experiences.

The local Apple sellers carry Epson but I'm quite keen on the Canon LIDE range of scanners as they are small and bus powered.

Thanks
--

LB : Powerbook 15 Al / G4 Tower PCI graphic
(Waiting for the new G5s to be released. Roll on WWDC !!)

Disko
19th May 2004, 04:24 PM
I use a fairly old canon flatbed, which is powerd by the bus with my powerbook... i can't remember the model number right now - maybe it's 2600nu? or something like that.

But yeah, it works fine.

sillydog701
19th May 2004, 04:34 PM
I have a Canon CanonScan N676U scanner, I have some problem with that...
I can't run it natively... i.e. the "Image Capture" does not work (directly). I need to use it trhough Photoshop Elements. :-(
(can't afford Photoshop)
Tested with my old Mac. Haven't bothered to hook that up in my new Macs.

I haven't tested with new drivers, but it does not look that promising to me.

My suggestion, make sure it supports natively (and directly) under Mac OS X.

Canon CanoScan flatbed scanners have all been tested to work properly in Mac OS X Classic mode. We are continuing to develop drivers and our CanoScan Toolbox application to function in Native OS X. Adobe Photoshop 7.0 or Photoshop Elements 2.0 is required to use the OS X drivers below, unless CanoScan Toolbox for OS X is available.

stickman67
19th May 2004, 04:38 PM
The only thing I'd suggest, even though you're not even thinking this way, is not going down the Umax road.

They left many, many users high and dry when OS X came along, and I wouldn't trust them not to do so again if another significant change came about.

And yes, I was one of those users (Astra 1220U), so yes, I am biased against them -- quite significantly.

I was bounced from one customer service department to the next, in the USA and Australia, but ultimately no-one wanted to be responsible and just kept passing me on, or telling me to write to some head honcho somewhere.

I was not a happy camper! And boy, do I love rebooting into Classic so I can scan ... :rolleyes:

decryption
19th May 2004, 07:06 PM
I have a Canon N650U scanner, and it only works in Mac OS X as a Photoshop plug-in. So if I need to use the scanner, I have to use Photoshop or else it doesn't work. Not cool!

Disko
19th May 2004, 07:15 PM
Just did some checking, and i too have a Canon N650U flatbed. :P

And just to drive the point home - it only works as a photoshop plugin.

Gothikon
19th May 2004, 08:06 PM
Scanner software on the Mac leaves a bit to be desired, check out VueScan, it's available on versiontracker.com and worth the small expense, 30 USD ?

sillydog701
19th May 2004, 09:43 PM
correction, mine is CanonScan N670U.
And that Photoshop plugin does not work for Acrobat :-(

Atomic
19th May 2004, 10:54 PM
I use a Canoscan 5000F and its fantastic. It comes with one touch software so you can email, scan, file and copy at the touch of a button. It also comes with plugins for your apps. For example I can import a scan using Photoshop or just plain Microsoft Word straight into a .doc

The software isn't the best but it does the job. I experienced a few "unexpected quit" messages but I just reinstalled the software and everything is back to normal.

This particular scanner is mains powered, scans at up to 2400x4800 resoluition, has USB2.0 onboard, scans 35mm film negatives or posotives (at up to 3 at a time). Highly recommended.

More info here (http://canon.com.au/products/scanners/scanners_low_medium_volume/canoscan5000f.html)

sillydog701
20th May 2004, 01:53 AM
Atomic,
Are you able to scan directly into another application besides Photoshop and Word?
(I can scan into Word as well, but not others.)

Atomic
20th May 2004, 01:56 AM
umm .. what other apps for example? I haven't really tried any others to be honest because those two apps cover all my needs. Please give me a list of specific apps and I will be happy to test them. :)

sillydog701
20th May 2004, 02:02 AM
If you have Adobe Acrobat (full), can you try to capture a page?
(trying to think any other apps...)

When you plug-in the CanoScan 5000F, does your Image Capture do anything?

Currawong
20th May 2004, 11:17 AM
The latest Canon's, include the LIDE bus-powered ones have OSX software included. Don't know the quality of it though. I have an old N1220U and it too only will import through photoshop. Various attempts at universal 3rd party drivers abound on sourceforge.net, but I never managed to get any to work.

Most Apple centres flog Epson. If you like the convenience of the Canon's though, they are quite reasonable. If absolute colour quality is important though, get at least a 3000F or better, or a higher quality Epson. The LIDE scanners have their limitations, but for general scanning they are very good.

WonderBoy
20th May 2004, 01:28 PM
I'd recommend Epson too. I believe the current crop come bundled with Photoshop Elements and TWAIN drivers to support direct scanning in this app. Epson are simply the most compatible with OSX. I agree they are larger and not bus powered like Canon's, but try to get over that - it's what it does that counts.

sillydog701
1st June 2004, 05:39 PM
Are there any compact scanners from Epson?
And what about HP? any good?

hawker
1st June 2004, 11:39 PM
I will say this only once - HP suck arse.

If you want to know how not to run a computer business go and work for HP!

the_argon
2nd June 2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by hawker@Jun 1 2004, 11:09 PM
I will say this only once - HP suck arse.
Agreed. I've had nothing but trouble from all HP products.

It's amazing that they are one of the biggest hardware makers.

sillydog701
3rd June 2004, 05:03 PM
Okay, HP is out of question.

But Epson scanners are ugly.
Are there any other scanners as compact as Canon's? Preferably USB powered.

Disko
3rd June 2004, 05:14 PM
The epson sitting next to me right now isn't ugly. It's my work scanner: a Epson Perfection 1250 - it can scan up to 1400dpi. Quite good imo.

Currawong
3rd June 2004, 09:40 PM
Only Canon make LIDE scanners as far as I know.

larfinboy
7th June 2004, 02:48 PM
So this is the story so far. I've manged to borrow an older model Canon scanner from a guy at work. This is an LIDE scanner which is USB powered.
I will test this out tonight and see how the driver performs.

I'm now over the scanner being bus powered and am looking at the three options with Epson, 1260, 1670 and 1670 Photo.

The combination of cost and bus powered was making the Canon quite appealing.
I have setup a friend with an Epson 1250 on a Windows machine and it seems quite good. The only issue is that there wasn't a power button, so the green power light on the front is on all the time. Somewhat annoying.

Another Mac person at work has a previous model Epson and is very happy with it. He scans into GraphicsConverter and says it works a treat.

Thanks for the input.

--
LB : Powerbook 15 Al / G4 Tower PCI graphic
(Waiting for the new G5s to be released. Roll on WWDC !!)

spathi
11th June 2004, 01:07 PM
I have a Canon LiDE 50 scanner, the software that comes with it is quite good, and you can scan without the need of photoshop. Im very happy with this scanner.

Gigitt
15th June 2004, 02:10 PM
We bought a Canon 5000F to use with an LCD iMac. Canon assured us that all of the supplied software was completely compatable with MacOS X (10.2) - They are completely WRONG!

The Canoscan software worked under MacOS X. All the Other Adobe software only worked in Classic mode, and the OCR software could not be installed at all - will not install under OSX/Classic, and iMac cannot boot into MacOS 9 as it is only MacOS X bootable! Nice Catch 22!

Support were even more hopeless in getting more information on how to fix the issues with the OCR. It turns out that Canon bulk make CD's and license the softeware once at the start of the production run - so for the life of the Canon product, you cannot get any upgrades as your OS/Mac gets Updated. You cannot even get any Other Canon CD software that was Licensed later for another Scanner due to Licensing ONLY for that scanner.

So we got a Microtek ScanMaker 4900 scanner - Yes all the software works Under MacOS X and the OCR software was soooo much easier to use than the Canon supplied one. I'd like to thank Proscan for all their help. It pays to Enquire properly what works and they basically garenteed it for us.

We still have the Canon 5000F... it works perectly on the Windows machines here.

Lessons learned :
Make sure that you ask many questions regarding compatablility - especially with the supplied software and bundles software.
Ask about a return policy if the Scanner and software DO NOT work under your OS as claimed.

sillydog701
15th June 2004, 02:30 PM
As I said earlier, Canon scanner only works with plugins for Photoshop or Photoshop Element, if you have any of those products (OS X version) it will work, in a complicated way.

Is Microtek easy to use? and good looking?

Gigitt
15th June 2004, 09:38 PM
It is not that Canon products are not compatable with OSX - they are only compatable with what is current when they license the software - and in our case the 5000F was only comaptable with machines running OSX and Classic and CAN bot into OS9 for installation of other software - and I think this is a BOGUS representation of hacing the Comaptable with MacOS X sticker on the box.

Yes Canon said that the 5000F is being superseeded (it probably already is our issies were about 5 months ago) and the new scanner replacing it will have full OSX compatability - Don't take my word for it, I would still be checking this if I were to buy a Canon Scanner for MacOS X.

Now don't get me wrong... I'm not bagging Canon out... the Canon Scanner did work properly using the Canoscan toolbar under OSX and produced great scans - the problem is that the client needed a 'Step 1' to 'Step 3' guide for Scanning images and putting them into Appleworks - using the Supplied Canon Software... problem was THIS Canon situation made it a 10 Step process which was way more than the client could cope with.

Now with the Microtek Scanner - it's features are basically just like the Canon 5000F - front button for one touch scanning faxing emailing etc... but the software worked under OSX just like we wanted for the client to enjoy an easy OCR and Image scanning process.

Scanning is excellent... and an ex-apple store manger I know told me that they sold more Mirotek scanners than any other brand - as Microtek has better software for Mac.

Proscan: Microtek Scanners (http://www.proscan.com.au/index_pages/2.htm)

Currawong
16th June 2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Gigitt@Jun 15 2004, 02:10 PM
Lessons learned :
Make sure that you ask many questions regarding compatablility - especially with the supplied software and bundles software.
Ask about a return policy if the Scanner and software DO NOT work under your OS as claimed.
Just a note, if a salesperson says a product will function in a certain manner, and it doesn't, then they've broken the Trade Practices Act, and can't legally refuse a refund.

Gigitt
16th June 2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Currawong+Jun 16 2004, 07:48 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Currawong @ Jun 16 2004, 07:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Gigitt@Jun 15 2004, 02:10 PM
Lessons learned :
Just a note, if a salesperson says a product will function in a certain manner, and it doesn&#39;t, then they&#39;ve broken the Trade Practices Act, and can&#39;t legally refuse a refund. [/b][/quote]
Yeah I know that - I work in the industry - but if you ask does it work with OSX... They look at the box and go yeah there is a sticker and it says so... then you are stuffed like we were when my boss bought it.

So really it is Canon fault as the OSX Sticker is missleading&#33;
Canon should have said that bundled software is only MacOS 9&#33;