PDA

View Full Version : Going to sleep with GPS

remigi
8th September 2008, 03:09 PM
hey guys,
I have a question, this is really starting to annoy me, when I start up google maps and run the gps, I enter a direction and start using it for directions while driving, but then after about 2 mins the screen goes darker and then turns off and goes to sleep, I press the button and have to unlock it again! Arghh why does it go to sleep when I'm using gps, shouldn't it stay on as the phone is active and doing something?

Anyone else got this?

bengrubb
8th September 2008, 03:12 PM
hey guys,
I have a question, this is really starting to annoy me, when I start up google maps and run the gps, I enter a direction and start using it for directions while driving, but then after about 2 mins the screen goes darker and then turns off and goes to sleep, I press the button and have to unlock it again! Arghh why does it go to sleep when I'm using gps, shouldn't it stay on as the phone is active and doing something?

Anyone else got this?

I have the same "issue".

I think if you set the iPhone to not go to sleep you're fine, but it's annoying if you want to save battery life later and stop switching between longer periods of 'sleep'.

Maybe others have a better solution.

jrad
8th September 2008, 03:21 PM
Turn the autolock time to never?

Mac Ram
8th September 2008, 03:28 PM
By no means comprehensive, but I find that any "app" that doesn't involve touching the screen within your autolock time will result in your phone going to sleep - other than actually making a call.

Joey1983
8th September 2008, 04:31 PM
This happens to me too. It also happens on that Asphalt 4 driving game, when you control the car by tilting the phone it goes to sleep half way through the race... Haven't seen it happen on Monkey Ball though?
They must be able to program the app to disable this feature automatically. Here's hoping they fix it in 2.1

ojk007
8th September 2008, 05:12 PM
By no means comprehensive, but I find that any "app" that doesn't involve touching the screen within your autolock time will result in your phone going to sleep - other than actually making a call.

doesn't happen on cube runner, and crazy lighter allows you to overwrite it IIRC

drewbles
8th September 2008, 05:14 PM

Likewise with movie watching. That will let the auto-lock not engage.

Until there's real turn-by-turn directions for the GPS, just disable the auto lock to 'never' (Settings -> General -> Auto Lock).