PDA

View Full Version : Wish list for MBA updates before you buy it

Peter Mount
7th September 2008, 10:09 PM
OK. Just for fun I'll follow what I said in this post (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/29/57508-macbook-air-update-speculation.html#post629853).

Will you commit to buying the MacBook Air if they make certain updates to it? If yes what are the updates in question?

If you break your word to buy it, in the event those updates are made, will you buy a bowl of chips to share at the next MacTalk Meet you attend? (This is just a silly little thread after all).

EDIT: I'd love to buy one if they made a few improvements but I can't commit to it this year.

Al Aero
7th September 2008, 10:13 PM
http://skugg.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/can-of-worms.jpg

Wally
7th September 2008, 10:13 PM
Price is a big factor to me, better graphics and user changeable parts are a plus!

Wally

Joe91
7th September 2008, 10:16 PM
I'd buy it in a flash if it was the same price (or lower) as the MB. I just can't see why something with those specs is priced that much.

chrsha01
7th September 2008, 10:16 PM
I'd buy it in a flash if it was the same price (or lower) as the MB. I just can't see why something with those specs is priced that much.

Totally agree, a lower price would be great and more HD space

Peter Mount
7th September 2008, 10:18 PM
So that's potentially 3 bowls of chips with sweet chilli sauce on the side.

Aladdin
7th September 2008, 10:35 PM
Minimum 160GB HDD or SSD. Penryn - at least 2.0GHz. Slot for USIM.

adamd
7th September 2008, 10:42 PM
Change-able battery.
Bigger HDD.
Ability to add more RAM.
Lower Price.
FireWire Port.

Ecto1
7th September 2008, 10:45 PM
For me it have to be a lower price, something under $2000. A bigger HDD say 180-200gb, and at least a 2.4ghz due core. Once they put that in a air then i am there.

Aladdin
7th September 2008, 10:51 PM
For me it have to be a lower price, something under $2000. A bigger HDD say 180-200gb, and at least a 2.4ghz due core. Once they put that in a air then i am there.

Methinks you'll be waiting a really long time. :)

Ecto1
7th September 2008, 10:57 PM
Yeah I know... I would say maybe a year and a half before it gets there. Though i wouldn't be surprised what around the corner.

AnthoMac
7th September 2008, 11:13 PM
10 or 12 inch form factor!

wolfie
7th September 2008, 11:19 PM
it depends on the user.

myself, i got the mba, and i will be buying the revison, possibly not the next one out, but revision 3 ( one after )

i hope by that stage we looking about 320 ssd drives and around 3.0 duo core processors with a improved GC.

the machine is near perfect now for me :)

jerrah
8th September 2008, 02:08 AM
I'm quite happy with the MBA this time around. I bought one a few months ago and I'm still extremely satisfied using it for the purpose for which it was designed. (3rd machine)

It's not a powerhouse workhorse but it is extremely portable whilst still being excellent to type on. Those wishing uber fast cpu's, full sized hard drives are really looking for a Macbook not the Air. I was happy with the price (1.6 base model) and anything it makes me wonder why the Macbook isn't better than what it is.

I would be reluctant to buy one as my only computer but that isn't my situation.

Galumay
8th September 2008, 03:15 AM
as another MBA owner i would have to say i am just blown away by the MBA, its become my primary computer and i use it every day.

having it in europe with me at the moment it is of course totally in its element - as an ultra portable laptop.

but even at home its my 'pooter of choice, lush screen, best keyboard of all my macs, enough grunt to do everything bar full on video editing, (which i use the 17" MBP for)

the single USB port is fine 95% of the time, anyone who doesnt understand why its more expensive than a MB probably hasnt used a MBA - they are chalk & cheese.

there are a few things i would like - but certainly not at the expense of the present form of the MBA, extra USB, a FW port and a bigger HD would all be nice to haves - but i would buy another as they are without hesitation.

aswitcher
8th September 2008, 06:27 AM
price drop 25%-40%

FW

faster

3g sim slot

DJY
8th September 2008, 06:49 AM
Ideally I'd love:
user swappable battery,
More RAM,
Lower Price,

but in reality... I'l buy I suspect if they
put in a better processor, and
bigger hard drive options!

Quamen
8th September 2008, 06:57 AM
4GB of memory (I love the stuff).
Ability to power a 30" external screen.

Give me those two features in an update and I'll be happy as Larry. Price drop is a bonus.

Arkhum_Eramak
8th September 2008, 07:28 AM
I'd like something better than the integrated graphics, even if it is a low end discreet option, doesn't have to be amazing, just a bit better than the integrated ones (although who knows what the Intel X4500 or whatever its product designation is will be?). In fact, I don't have much experience with the integrated GPU so that may be a bunch of hot air.

Periodic CPU updates are fine, and the HDD is fine for what I'm considering using one for...I guess I'd only say the battery. Either give us an interchangeable battery, or give us some kind of scary external battery that links in through the magsafe. Actually, that last idea sounds horrible, so just give us interchangeable internal batteries.

I plan to use MBA to edit video - using the upcoming JVC unit for the ProHD cameras to record 4:1:1 DV or HDV to SDHC card, then cutting as necessary. It should have more grunt than my old dual G4, and it would only be used for fairly simple edits, or perhaps the occasional offline. A RAM bump to 3 or 4Gb would be nice, but not necessary I don't think. FCP isn't very resource hungry when the projects are simple.

boddiz
8th September 2008, 08:09 AM
a superdrive, changeable battery and user-replaceable ram/hdd.

oh an a fw port.

mac_man_luke
8th September 2008, 08:10 AM
I'd like something better than the integrated graphics, even if it is a low end discreet option, doesn't have to be amazing, just a bit better than the integrated ones (although who knows what the Intel X4500 or whatever its product designation is will be?). In fact, I don't have much experience with the integrated GPU so that may be a bunch of hot air.

The X3100 is actually quite capable, its the first integrated graphics actually capable of some gaming

Reubania
8th September 2008, 08:17 AM
I disagree with a price drop - BUT it will definitely make me buy one all over again. I think the next 'iteration' of the MBA should be the same price, BUT including the SuperDrive.

As for updates - I am leaning towards a bigger HD, CHEAPER SD option, and of course at least 1.83+ GHZ and increase to 3GB RAM (at least - I guess soldiered on).

But as Galumay said - as a MBA owner, this is my primary computer and it's pretty much perfect. I have done away with the optical drive, and I have supplemented the smaller HDD with an external 1TB HDD connected wirelessly through AEBS.

IF the MBA had an increase of HDD to at least 100MB, I probably wouldn't need the external HDD as I can put all my iTunes music onto it. However, thoroughly satisfied, and happy to pay the premium price Apple has set - because this is a premium product. Sure it's not the best spec laptop out there, and comparison to the iPhone, which is not the best spec mobile phone out there - both deserve to command such a high price!

coljac
8th September 2008, 08:40 AM
I'm also loving my MBA just as it is. I take it with me everywhere and used it as my main computer during a long stint in Europe with no hassles. Therefore the only thing that would convince me to upgrade would be (as many others have mentioned) a built-in HSPDA modem. Right now I have to use a slightly annoying USB dongle.

Galumay
8th September 2008, 03:33 PM
your right coljac, unbuilt 3g modem would be the single most useful addition.
It would not only get rid of the dongle but would free up the USB port.
(having to type this on the iFone because kai is watching ben10 on the MBA - sitting in a Tuscan village where some houses still don't have power & running water!)

Arkhum_Eramak
8th September 2008, 04:23 PM
The X3100 is actually quite capable, its the first integrated graphics actually capable of some gaming

Ah excellent. Its so hard to find unbiased reports on the internet...personally I don't care if it wont run Crysis. the most pressing game I'll run is probably Mount and Blade to pass the time when the Mac Pro is rendering.
I agree that the external superdrive should come in the box.

lailaikatong
10th September 2008, 10:50 AM
a superdrive, changeable battery and user-replaceable ram/hdd.

oh an a fw port.
Write 'Air' after the word MacBook using a permanent marker on the screen bezel of your MacBook, and your wishes will be granted :-)

Aladdin
10th September 2008, 09:41 PM
Write 'Air' after the word MacBook using a permanent marker on the screen bezel of your MacBook, and your wishes will be granted :-)

Scratch out 'Pro' on a MBP, and replace with 'Air'. This way, the name will still be centred properly. :D

DJY
26th October 2008, 09:15 PM
Ideally I'd love:
user swappable battery,
More RAM,
Lower Price,

but in reality... I'l buy I suspect if they
put in a better processor, and
bigger hard drive options!

more RAM - No
user swappable battery - No
Lower price - No it increased...

but the reality of my post was
better processor - mmm well it's the same speed processor Penryn for sure - but is this processor better? Will it be noticeable?!?!?! - UNKNOWN
bigger hard drive options - CHECK

Do I buy or not... that is my dilemma! I want to... but not sure.

Reubania
26th October 2008, 09:17 PM
Mate, wait for the next refresh. It would be almost certain that they will increase the processor speed, and HDD will increase, and the price of SSD will drop.

But with a price decrease? I think you're gonna be asking for too much...especially in this economical climate. I can't see prices going down in the next few months....but I can see an refresh/update come Jan 09 with MacWorld Conference...

zaca
26th October 2008, 09:22 PM
Price. Once it hits $1500 im there. I dont care about upgradable anything, I was fine with the original. Maybe a replacable battery, but if it was $1500 i wouldnt complain.

$1500 for 1.6GHz, 80GB HD, 2GB RAM, 13" Screen.

Reubania
26th October 2008, 09:29 PM
Price. Once it hits $1500 im there. I dont care about upgradable anything, I was fine with the original. Maybe a replacable battery, but if it was $1500 i wouldnt complain.

$1500 for 1.6GHz, 80GB HD, 2GB RAM, 13" Screen.

I am sure this price will be attainable in the near future....as a second hand or refurb model. :D

So keep your eyes peeled for some bargains!

DJY
26th October 2008, 09:40 PM
Mate, wait for the next refresh. It would be almost certain that they will increase the processor speed, and HDD will increase, and the price of SSD will drop.

But with a price decrease? I think you're gonna be asking for too much...especially in this economical climate. I can't see prices going down in the next few months....but I can see an refresh/update come Jan 09 with MacWorld Conference...

You think they will bump speeds 3 months after they just updated it!??!!?

zaca
26th October 2008, 09:41 PM
I am sure this price will be attainable in the near future....as a second hand or refurb model. :D

So keep your eyes peeled for some bargains!

Yeah, right now im eyeing a $2.3k 1.8GHz 64GB SDD model. That or the Macbook at the same price or I replace my desktop and go for the MBP. I have 20 days to decide and order =)

Reubania
26th October 2008, 09:45 PM
Yeah, right now im eyeing a $2.3k 1.8GHz 64GB SDD model. That or the Macbook at the same price or I replace my desktop and go for the MBP. I have 20 days to decide and order =)

Whoa! Slow down mate....if you want to replace your desktop and you do quite a bit of processing/editing/movies/heavy-duty work, you should get the MBP.

But if you want an adequate laptop to replace your desktop that doesn't require heavy-duty lifting, then the MB or the MBA is perfect.

Why would you go for the much more pricier MBA just for a SSD? It hasn't really "wowed" the community with it's touted performance.

I never had a desktop as I prefer to be mobile...and I don't do much more than photo editing on a computer, so the MBA was a more than adequate machine for me. So you should take into consideration your needs and if portability is something you would like in a machine.

zaca
26th October 2008, 09:54 PM
Whoa! Slow down mate....if you want to replace your desktop and you do quite a bit of processing/editing/movies/heavy-duty work, you should get the MBP.

But if you want an adequate laptop to replace your desktop that doesn't require heavy-duty lifting, then the MB or the MBA is perfect.

Why would you go for the much more pricier MBA just for a SSD? It hasn't really "wowed" the community with it's touted performance.

I never had a desktop as I prefer to be mobile...and I don't do much more than photo editing on a computer, so the MBA was a more than adequate machine for me. So you should take into consideration your needs and if portability is something you would like in a machine.

I would use the MBP for Photoshop/Video Editing.

The options are the MB or the MBA for the portable if Im not replacing. Its a desicion between portability and performance. It really depends on what I end up wanting it for. But I do want a laptop for general portability purposes. (Its a decision for me to make =D).

Reubania
26th October 2008, 09:59 PM
Well it is. I think the MBA will always win in terms of ultraportability...BUT it begs the question, in your state of "portabilty", do you require all them ports and the optical drive? If you can make do with them and can enjoy the relatively small HDD, then the MBA is for you. But if you seriously cannot live without 2 x USB ports and the optical drive, then the MB is pretty good at doing "portabilty" as well. ;)

Best to go into a store and actually look at the two models side-by-side...lift them and test out their weight. Wish I did that with my MB...had no idea how heavy it was! That was a big factor in switching to a MBA! ;)

Huy
26th October 2008, 10:03 PM
The previous MacBooks were heavy machines, originally 2.36kg then down to 2.27kg in the previous model.

They are now 2.04kg.

MacBook Airs are 1.36kg, 680g lighter than current MacBooks.

Reubania
26th October 2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks Huy for the figures...and just to think that all they pretty much changed was the chassis - from plastic to aluminium...and an LED LCD screen. Whereas with the MBA, they pretty much just gutted it out (like liposuction) to produce a thin model. ;)

zaca
26th October 2008, 10:09 PM
Been in the store, but at Next byte you have no idea. They take out the batteries and wont let you hold just the machine (usb security). Trust me, i know. hehe. First I just took the usb stuff out and the alarms went off. Then I asked if I could tesk it out and he said no. And then he mentioned that they had no battery.

So I had no way of testing the weights, but Im sure the MB, even the MBP will be fine in terms of portability. I mean I dont go to coffee shops or to uni everyday with a laptop (stereotypes). But it will go out of the house at least every weekend.

Size was fine. Its really what I decide I want, whether I want to be able to edit video on the laptop (in which case I go the Pro) or just do photoshop, etc. (Macbook) or leave that all for the desktop and just have it for emails and the internet (MBA).

Reubania
26th October 2008, 10:14 PM
I do have Photoshop installed on my MBA and it's fine. I've also installed iWorks 08 and have all my 10+GB of photos stored on the internal HDD and use iPhoto all the time. No real problems, but if you have several applications running, it will slow down the machine.

I mainly use my MBA for internet, emails, iPhoto and listening to music (streaming from external HDD to iTunes). Anything more, I would probably invest in a MBP (that will cover ALL bases).

About going into a store....that sucks mate. I suggest go to an Apple store, or a JB-HiFi. At least their models are up and running for you to test it out. And since they have the whole range (previous white and black MacBooks alongside the new MacBooks), you can really test it out.

MrTeflon
27th October 2008, 04:50 PM
dvd drive.sorry not willing to give that up just yet.
I'm not ready to do without one yet and the prospect of carrying around and extra drive well hell i may as well get out the sony discman .....

p53
27th October 2008, 05:03 PM
My wish list was faster processor, more RAM and bigger hard drive - the usual things one might expect from a rev b. Oh well, one down, two to go.

Aladdin
27th October 2008, 08:50 PM

Though they might wait till Feb 09, or even Apr 09 (6 months since Oct 08 update).

After all, Snow Leopard will probably be released after WWDC'09.

Can I wait that long - I really don't know.

DJY
27th October 2008, 09:10 PM
Though they might wait till Feb 09, or even Apr 09 (6 months since Oct 08 update).

After all, Snow Leopard will probably be released after WWDC'09.

Can I wait that long - I really don't know.

I doubt there will be anything in Feb 09...
and sure there will always be future updates...

Mmm between now and FEB 09 I already have approx thirty flights already in my work calendar...
God knows how many between now and WWDC!