PDA

View Full Version : Three iPhone Coverage

hinow2007
7th September 2008, 03:14 PM
Thinking about getting rid of Optus because of there extremely slow network (yesterday i got 234kps:mad:) and switching to three

how do people rate there iphone signal with three because i dont want it to be accessing the internet through telstra's network and then having to pay outrageous prices.

So out of 10 how do you rate it?

Ralph Nader
7th September 2008, 03:29 PM
It might help if you tell us where you plan to use your phone. Signal quality can vary from location to location, State to State.

hinow2007
7th September 2008, 03:30 PM
sorry I was wondering around the sydney city area

Exocet
7th September 2008, 04:10 PM
9/10 for Brisbane metro area.

fickwalker
8th September 2008, 08:51 AM
I rate Three a 10 in Sydney city areas. I work in the CBD and live in Glebe. Fantastic coverage, amazing speeds.

kche3572
8th September 2008, 09:48 AM
I would give Three a 9/10 in Sydney
I live in Chatswood and work in Neutral Bay, have no problem with calls and network at all

VALANDI
8th September 2008, 01:02 PM
was in sydney last weekend actually and i tell you what, AMAZING iPhone coverage... better than what i get at home and I live 5 minutes from Adelaide CBD

hinow2007
8th September 2008, 04:16 PM
I would give Three a 9/10 in Sydney
I live in Chatswood and work in Neutral Bay, have no problem with calls and network at all

What do you guys do when the phone goes on to Telstra's EDGE network???

If you turn on block data during roaming on the iphone are you okay (ie: free from fees)???

Dust For Eyes
8th September 2008, 04:33 PM
I use an N95 with Three and I often use tether it to my MacBook or Touch using Walking Hotspot (http://www.walkinghotspot.com/).

When the coverage switches to roaming, the connection just stops, so no data roaming can occur which rules.

My coverage experiences are similar to fickwalker - very good in Glebe/Sydney.

Exocet
8th September 2008, 05:46 PM
I have actually set my network selection to 3 rather than Automatic. I roam so infrequently that this isn't a huge issue. The only spots I roam are in a rail cutting and walking through the multilevel carpark behind my office - a daily total of about 30 seconds.

fickwalker
9th September 2008, 08:36 AM
What do you guys do when the phone goes on to Telstra's EDGE network???

If you turn on block data during roaming on the iphone are you okay (ie: free from fees)???

My solution is just to make sure I actually look at my phone when I'm using it, so I can see if I'm on network, or roaming. If I'm roaming, I don't use the phone for data - Simple as that. My last bill had a grand total of 3 cents for roaming charges. As long as you're smart about it, roaming would adversely affect you.

As for switching Data Roaming off? That only truly works for when you're overseas. It won't stop you roaming onto Telstra's network. (Not that my iPhone ever really roams, it clings to 3G like whoa)