PDA

View Full Version : Getting out of my Optus iPhone contact

spilla
7th September 2008, 01:35 PM
Is there any way I can get out my 24 month Optus $39 (+ $12 handset) contract?

The network coverage, the shit speeds and the inability to check my account online are absolutely disgraceful for a telco as big as Optus. :thumbdn:

If I happen to find a way out, I think Telstra wil be having my business once again. :)

Shaxbon
7th September 2008, 01:44 PM
Yeah, you can pay for the cancellation of the contract.

Other than that, you're in a contract and theres not much you can really do. It could be possible to terminate the contract if you wanted to take legal action but at the end of the day, its really not worth the money it'd end up costing and it'd be more than likely that a court would allow you to terminate a contract on the basis the speeds aren't lightening fast.

Perhaps if you were a business and you couldn't use the phone for a couple of days or so you'd be more than likely be able to succeed.

But other than that, we're all in the same boat, we all know Optus is shit at the moment in regards to their 3g Speeds and Network.

W9cae
7th September 2008, 02:02 PM
You dont want to mess with Optus contract. They might let you out eventually and then put a bad mark on your credit rating. You would be best to live out your contract and then move on.

IIe2PB
7th September 2008, 02:04 PM
If you've had the phone for less than 30 days you can just hand it back no questions asked under the coverage guarantee.

decryption
7th September 2008, 02:05 PM
You can cancel it easily enough - just call them. It won't be a nice figure when you quit though :(

spilla
7th September 2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the advice. :(

Could it possibly be a faulty handset? I don't get any service at all in Keith, SA (5267) or any 3G service at O'Halloran Hill, SA.

http://spilla.net/files/optus.tiff

http://spilla.net/files/optus2.tiff

silverdreamer
7th September 2008, 02:17 PM
I doubt there is anything wrong with the Handset, just the provider. Try cancelling under the coverage clause.

matthew858
7th September 2008, 02:21 PM
You can call the TIO (tio.com.au) and lodge a complaint. Optus will call you back in 3-4 days and sort something out with you. Many people have already done it with Optus and now have an unlocked iPhone.

spilla
7th September 2008, 02:22 PM
I doubt there is anything wrong with the Handset, just the provider. Try cancelling under the coverage clause.

I started my contact on the 11th July, and received my phone about 2 weeks later. I'm pretty sure I'm outside of the coverage guarantee. :(

decryption
7th September 2008, 02:32 PM
According to those maps, you shouldn't get 3G coverage. (iPhone doesn't support 900Mhz and the other area doesn't have 3G at all). So it isn't the iPhone's fault. However, can that be the basis for cancelling a contract without penalty? I dunno.

Either way, you're going to have to pay back the handset as that isn't free - so brace yourself for at least $700.

spilla
7th September 2008, 02:43 PM
According to those maps, you shouldn't get 3G coverage. (iPhone doesn't support 900Mhz and the other area doesn't have 3G at all). So it isn't the iPhone's fault. However, can that be the basis for cancelling a contract without penalty? I dunno.

Either way, you're going to have to pay back the handset as that isn't free - so brace yourself for at least $700.

I'm aware that Keith doesn't have any 3G, but I should be getting some GSM service, right?

The other area is apparently covered with 2100Mhz 3G service, the colours don't really match the legend. :rolleyes:

mac_man_luke
7th September 2008, 03:02 PM
I dont think the coverage problems are related to optus, i think its the iphone has a poor receiver

For the week i had my optus sim in my k800i i had full coverage at home and work - now with my iphone im lucky to get 1 3G bar

hinow2007
7th September 2008, 03:05 PM
I dont think the coverage problems are related to optus, i think its the iphone has a poor receiver

For the week i had my optus sim in my k800i i had full coverage at home and work - now with my iphone im lucky to get 1 3G bar

yeah the iphones reciever may be crap but nothing can account for the slow data speeds with optus

Shaxbon
7th September 2008, 03:15 PM

Got a link to the coverage clause? The only thing I found in my signed contract was that they'd provide me access to the 3g network where available and access to the GSM network where available.

To be able to cancel under such a clause they'd have to stipulate what type of speed you should be getting and if you don't get such a service then would you be able to terminate under such a clause.

hinow2007
7th September 2008, 03:18 PM
Got a link to the coverage clause? The only thing I found in my signed contract was that they'd provide me access to the 3g network where available and access to the GSM network where available.

To be able to cancel under such a clause they'd have to stipulate what type of speed you should be getting and if you don't get such a service then would you be able to terminate under such a clause.

i guess youre right but still you could argue that there should be a level of service that is adequate and optus fails to meet that level.

Shaxbon
7th September 2008, 03:22 PM
hinow2007, its a bit of a yes no answer. Yes they should be providing a service to an adequate standard, but there are so many variables that can come into play which can affect such a service and speed levels.

iTelefono
7th September 2008, 03:39 PM

The network coverage, the shit speeds and the inability to check my account online are absolutely disgraceful for a telco as big as Optus. :thumbdn:

If I happen to find a way out, I think Telstra wil be having my business once again. :)

I totally agree with you, Optus has been great to me for the last 12 years but since the iPhone contract it has been a nightmare.

It amazes me when you tell Optus the 3G network is crap and some seem surprised :confused: All they tell you is to activate airplane mode, I stop them instantly and tell them that won't work.

yes Optus...........they are crap

Apart from all the above problems, my iPhone froze last week (black screen of death) Optus CS was not very helpfull so I called Apple and they were great, they told me my iPhone was definitely dead and I am getting a replacement hopefully mid week.

I was also told by one Optus CS rep that I have up to 60days to cancel my contract if I am not happy with the 3G coverage, I think they were talking crap as always

hinow2007
7th September 2008, 03:45 PM
My Apple iPhone 3G is anything but happy on Optus

dotComrade
7th September 2008, 03:55 PM
Since getting my iPhone on the 11th July I have spent a total of 10 hours on the phone with Optus about horrible reception. I was ready to cancel my contract after a week but everyone I spoke to at Optus told me to wait for a month becasue they were doing work in my area or something like that. I later found out that they only told me that so that I would be out of my 30 day customer satisfaction guarantee :(

Now they wont let me cancel without paying over $850. They have told me I have to send my phone in for them to test the phone out, because currently it will only get full 3G bars within 50m of a cell tower, and absolutly no 3G coverage 1000m away from the tower (even when it is still in eye sight). They say that the phone will be gone for a minimum of 3 weeks, and that they will keep it until the problem is solved. Which will leave me with a terrible replacement phone that wont have any of the features of the iPhone.

This whole experience has been horrible. I have been a customer for so many years, and this is the first problem that I have had with them. But the way they are treating me is just inexcusable.

Also, I paid my first bill the day that it came in. Now online I am still getting warnings that my bill is now overdue (my second bill was meant to come out last week, but it is no where to be seen). I called up billing support and they told me that on one system it says that its paid, but on all the other systems it says that it hasn't (why would you have more then one system to keep track of payments?!?) If I get any negative marks on my credit rating over this I am going to be pissed. This whole shit storm is just ridiculous. This type of service would be unacceptable even from a shady crack dealer in the worst slums in the dirtiest city in the world.

hinow2007
7th September 2008, 04:09 PM
iphone with optus = ihorrible

segan
7th September 2008, 05:00 PM
If there was a way to get out of the contract that would be good. We wouldn't even be talking about this if their 3G network was up to scratch. I can't get a decent signal at home or at work and I'm in metro Melbourne. Guess you get what you pay for. Their plans were too good to be true compared to telstra.

silverdreamer
7th September 2008, 05:03 PM

Have you been sleeping under a rock for the last 2 months? It's got a lot to do with OPTUS.
And the k8001 is not a 3G phone, it's GSM, so there's no comparison.

Can't help you there, i am happily connected to the big bad wolf!:p

Al Aero
7th September 2008, 05:08 PM
Have you been sleeping under a rock for the last 2 months? It's got a lot to do with OPTUS.

Your still a fan boy

a.

silverdreamer
7th September 2008, 05:22 PM
Your still a fan boy

a.

Well if it makes you happy to continually make that same comment, then you need to get out more.

Al Aero
7th September 2008, 05:26 PM
Well if it makes you happy to continually make that same comment, then you need to get out more.

been out all day actually.

just waiting for you to admit it :)

a.

silverdreamer
7th September 2008, 06:13 PM
been out all day actually.

just waiting for you to admit it :)

a.

With regard to my computing needs:

I own a Mac, because it "Just Works", cost does not come into it.

I apply the same logic to my choice of service provider therefore:

I am connected to Telstra, because it "just works", cost does not come into it.

Fanboy on both counts!... Guilty as charged. :)

Al Aero
7th September 2008, 06:17 PM
With regard to my computing needs:

I own a Mac, because it "Just Works", cost does not come into it.

I apply the same logic to my choice of service provider therefore:

I am connected to Telstra, because it "just works", cost does not come into it.

Fanboy on both counts!... Guilty as charged. :)

Thank you

Fanboy :)

a.

kevinnugent
7th September 2008, 06:23 PM

Can't help you there, i am happily connected to the big bad wolf!:p

SD, i'm sorry mate, but you're gonna have to take one on this. The Sony Ericsson k800i is, in fact, a 3G phone:
Sony Ericsson K800i Review - Mobile Phones (http://www.cnet.com.au/mobilephones/phones/0,239025953,240061847,00.htm)

And, like my E71 experiment.... you can have a Optus 3G sim in the iPhone = crap coverage and bad transfer speeds. Put the same SIM in another phone - take your pick - I chose the E71 = brilliant coverage lock and fast data speeds.

Network? No. Phone? Yep.... it's a iPhone incompatibility in something to do with the network.

silverdreamer
7th September 2008, 06:43 PM
SD, i'm sorry mate, but you're gonna have to take one on this. The Sony Ericsson k800i is, in fact, a 3G phone:
Sony Ericsson K800i Review - Mobile Phones (http://www.cnet.com.au/mobilephones/phones/0,239025953,240061847,00.htm)

And, like my E71 experiment.... you can have a Optus 3G sim in the iPhone = crap coverage and bad transfer speeds. Put the same SIM in another phone - take your pick - I chose the E71 = brilliant coverage lock and fast data speeds.

Network? No. Phone? Yep.... it's a iPhone incompatibility in something to do with the network.

According to "That" link, .... you would appear to be correct, :)

But according to "This" link, .... it is a GSM phone, and makes no mention of 3G, so who do you believe.

Sony Ericsson - Mobile phones - Specifications - K800i (http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/mobilephones/specifications/k800i?cc=au&lc=en)

Thank you

Fanboy :)

a.

Starting to think that word gets you "Exited"!:p

spilla
7th September 2008, 06:49 PM
According to "That" link, .... you would appear to be correct, :)

But according to "This" link, .... it is a GSM phone, and makes no mention of 3G, so who do you believe.

Sony Ericsson - Mobile phones - Specifications - K800i (http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/mobilephones/specifications/k800i?cc=au&lc=en)

"That" link says it supports the UTMS 2100Mhz network, so it would work perfectly on Optus' 3G metro networks, but not the rural 900Mhz 3G networks or Telstra's 850Mhz 3G network. :)

sickofoptus
9th September 2008, 02:03 PM
hi there I am a soon to be ex optus 3G iPhone customer. I am in my 30 days so I lodged a complaint with the TIO and then called the special number at optus (the one where you don't just get a goon who tells you to switch on airplane mode). For those not in the 30 day period I'd still recommend lodging a complaint with the TIO so optus takes you seriously. Good luck. I'm so relieved to be getting out. The iPhone is not all it's cracked up to be IMO.

arkenstone
9th September 2008, 02:13 PM

You could argue the speeds and network coverage are a breach of contract and you want out with minimal cancellation fee (say a monht in advance or something)

Might be an uphill battle but it's happened before.

decryption
9th September 2008, 02:20 PM
The iPhone is not all it's cracked up to be IMO.

The iPhone is great - Optus ruins the experience with their incomprehensible billing, appalling network and poor customer service.

Shaxbon
9th September 2008, 02:53 PM
[QUOTE=arkenstone;631372]You could argue the speeds and network coverage/QUOTE]

See I think a court will just throw the book at you for wasting their time if such a claim was made.

The optus contract is so vague and from my research, there doesn't seem to be any mention of how fast our 3g Network will be, more the contract is along the lines of 'We will let you use our 3g speeds'.

So essentially, Optus could get away with slower speeds and they're not in breach of their contract because they are exactly performing our their side of the contract.

With Network Coverage, Teleco's have released information showing which areas have access to their network (whether it be GSM or 3g) and I'd like to think that the court would think a reasonable person would actually do their homework before buying such a device.

However, whilst I don't believe they've breached their contractual terms, I do believe its pretty shit of them providing such a service. All we can essentially do is hope they upgrade their systems that do provide faster speeds!

[schmick]
9th September 2008, 02:56 PM
So for us whom haven't adopted the iPhone as of yet, should we just wait and see what happens in terms of firmware updates in 2.1 because Optus most certainly has the best plans... Or should we join with Voda or Telstra?

dopus
9th September 2008, 03:26 PM
I got out of an Optus contract years ago. Basically, the coverage was so bad, and didn't work in the area's I lived or worked, that I told them I wanted out. They cried foul at first, till I reminded them that the contract was 2 way binding, and that as they couldn't provide the service they said they could, it was all over. Added I'd see them in court, and funnily enough, I was out of the contract that afternoon.

Been with Telstra ever since. They might be bad, but Optus were worse.

silverdreamer
9th September 2008, 03:29 PM
;631401']So for us whom haven't adopted the iPhone as of yet, should we just wait and see what happens in terms of firmware updates in 2.1 because Optus most certainly has the best plans... Or should we join with Voda or Telstra?

Ultimately it's your call. But Telstra "is" able to provide a fast and reliable service, and there would not appear to be as many problems with Vodafone, but connecting to Optus at the moment, and expecting a reasonable level of service, would seem a little "Optimistic", to say the very least.:)

hinow2007
9th September 2008, 06:22 PM
emailed optus and their reply is first my email is second

Thank you for your email submitted via the Contact Us link at our website, Optus - Welcome to Optus.com.au (http://www.optus.com.au).

I am sorry to hear of the difficulties that you have experienced with our 3G coverage. I appreciate the time you have taken to advise us of your experiences and I hope to offer as much assistance as possible.

I have spoken with our Mobile Technical Support team in regards to your feedback and they have confirmed they are aware of the issues you have raised and are investigating the best options available to address these concerns.

To ensure maximum network strength and possibly improve your ability to use your mobile service effectively, I suggest you try the following:

* Turn your mobile handset off and on at least twice a day. It need be off only for a moment, and ensures your connection to the network remains fresh.

* You could try a network selection to ensure your phone has completed a comprehensive network search. Using your handset\'s menu, set your mobile phone to \"Manual Network Select\" (Your handset manual will provide specific instructions for your phone). The list of networks available in your area will appear. For example-Optus, Telstra and Vodafone.

Scroll through these options and select a network other than Optus. You will receive an error message. When this happens, turn your phone off, then on, and repeat the same process, selecting Optus instead.

If the above suggestions do not help you with this issue, I encourage you to provide us with further feedback of such instances. This can be done by visiting our website at Optus - About Optus - Network Coverage (http://www.optus.com.au/coverage). At this site you will be asked to provide certain details regarding the types of problems you are experiencing, including your location and the time of day it occurred. This information is collated by our Network Operation Centre and assists us with monitoring our mobile network performance and planning future changes.

Please be assured that your feedback is important to Optus, and will help us bring you an improved mobile network. The introduction of new technologies and a commitment to further investment in our digital network means better mobile coverage than ever before. At Optus, we have invested more than $2.32 billion so far in constructing our digital network and your feedback will help us to build on this.

For peace of mind, I can also confirm that you can make emergency calls even when there is no Optus coverage, by dialling 112. This number searches for any available network and is the equivalent of the 000 Emergency Services number.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience this has caused to you. I can certainly appreciate your frustration in regards to not receiving 3G coverage. I have forwarded your feedback onto our management team to look into and gain feedback from your experience as this ultimately leads to improvements being made.

Unfortunately, at this stage I am unable to look into the account and provide you with specific information for this mobile service. The details you have supplied via our online form do not match with the details we have for this account.

To comply with the Australian Privacy Act, we require four types of identification that match exactly the information available to us on our systems.

If you would like account specific information please re-check the information you supplied and reply with any amendments:

Your Name

Thank you.

If you have any further enquiries, feel free to submit another email via our website, or contact our Customer Care Centre on 1300 300 937, or from overseas on + (or the international exit code) 61 2 9342 5678.

Kind regards

Rob Account Administration
Consumer Resolve
Optus Customer Care

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Email relates to: Complaint
And specifically to: Coverage
Comments: I have purchased 2 iPhone 3G's through Optus (since launch day) and
whilst I am impressed with Apple's innovation I am angered by the Optus network.

I have many issues with your dismal 3G network.

Firstly, coverage. Your coverage is horrible. Whilst you claim to cover 80% of
Australia I my son complains that he does not receive 3G coverage at his school
which is in the middle of the city (behind the Sydney Town Hall). This in-turn
affects me because sometime his phone is on the internet (due to some
auto-settings) and then I am unable to contact him as GPRS network can not send
voice and data simultaneously. I still however, find it a significant issue that
if Optus is unable to provide coverage in the middle of the Sydney City then how
they claim to have coverage in more rural areas. I am certainly unimpressed.

Next is 3G speeds. I question myself and ask what 3G with Optus. Optus' 3G
speeds are shocking and quite frankly an embarrassment. Yesterday I was in
Arncliffe and when I checked the phone data speed (iphonespeedtest.com) in was
234kps! That is classified as 2G EDGE speed, not what you would expect from 3G
and certainly no where near 1.5Mps and also particularly when customers of other
carrier's (especially Telstra & Three) are report of speeds 2 to 3 times faster
(within their HSPDA enabled network). These speeds are quite frankly shocking
and a true embarrassment.

Lastly, network outages. During my time at Optus I have experience three 3G
network outages. This is of serious concern for two reasons. Firstly, because i
expect to always be connected to 3G and secondly, my phone is unknowingly report
No Service meaning I am unable to be contacted or receive sometimes important
emails (same with my son). These outages have made me lose trust in your less
then primitive network and I seriously feel I should be compensated. Its only
fair I pay for the service and in return I should get the service.

These two issues are not to be taken lightly and I feel letdown by Optus
considering I have been with Optus for quite sometime (I also have a Business
account , Mobile Number: 0400 000 000). I am seriously considering leaving Optus
and I shouldn't have to pay anything because I have not been provided with an
adequate service. Also, other carriers are starting to offer better deals it
seems and even if I must pay more at least I receive a reliable, fast 3G mobile
service. I will however continue if Optus can provide me an adequate third
generation mobile service.

bLackjack
9th September 2008, 10:31 PM
;631401']So for us whom haven't adopted the iPhone as of yet, should we just wait and see what happens in terms of firmware updates in 2.1 because Optus most certainly has the best plans... Or should we join with Voda or Telstra?

How has OPTUS got the best plans? For $67 a month, and $0 down, you can get a 16gb iPhone, $140 in calls, 1GB of data and free voicemail through VIRGIN! Yes, they are a subsidiary, but far cheaper.

bLackjack
10th September 2008, 05:23 PM
How has OPTUS got the best plans? For $67 a month, and $0 down, you can get a 16gb iPhone, $140 in calls, 1GB of data and free voicemail through VIRGIN! Yes, they are a subsidiary, but far cheaper.

That should be $52!

IIe2PB
10th September 2008, 06:24 PM

Problem is your phone won't work so you'll never be able to use all that data. Things are slow on GSM :mad:

bLackjack
12th September 2008, 09:14 PM
Problem is your phone won't work so you'll never be able to use all that data. Things are slow on GSM :mad:

What are you on about? I've not had any issues with dropping off 3G..., the speeds are fast, and i need never have to worry about the data limits :D

spilla
12th September 2008, 09:27 PM
So it turns out that the Optus tower in Keith was offline for a few days. :(

I called Optus support at around 12:30am on Monday Morning to ask if there's a network problem, or if it was just my phone. They told me it was a faulty SIM card, yet I get great reception in Adelaide. :rolleyes: