PDA

View Full Version : Camino 0.8b released

sillydog701
18th May 2004, 11:11 PM
Camino 0.8b released
Yes, it's been a very long wait for those Gecko lovers. Although most of us may prefer Safari to any other browsers, it is always a good thing to see an alternative good functioning browser available for Mac OS :osx:

http://sillydog.org/graph/temp/br_camino08b.jpg
Highlight of Camino 0.8b: A new look and icon set (a graphite set will be made available shortly)
Upgraded Gecko HTML rendering engine to 1.7final from 1.0, yielding performance and web page rendering enhancements, as well as a large number of bug-fixes
Entirely rewritten bookmark system, capable of importing Safari, IE, and Mozilla bookmarks, with Rendezvous and Address Book integration and multi-level undo support
"Top Ten" bookmark collection, based on your ten most-visited sites Searchable bookmarks
Google search field in toolbar
Ability to manage individual cookies, sorting and editing cookie allow/deny lists
Ability to unblock popups on a per-site basis (popup white-listing)
User profile migrated to ~/Library/Application Support/Camino
(based on Camino 0.8b's Release Notes)

Camino 0.8b is available from Camino (http://www.mozilla.org/products/camino/) home page.

Disko
19th May 2004, 12:21 AM
And first impressions are - it's bloody good. I'm using it now, and it seems a little snappier than safari. Definately more streamined than the old Camino.

DVD Plaza
19th May 2004, 01:19 AM
The nightlies have been gaining this performance for some time now - it has been quite frustrating that the official version has still been 0.7 all this time and thus people were using/comparing an extremely dated version against other browsers.

Disko
19th May 2004, 12:00 PM
The search bar is great as well - it has google images, and a 'search this site' option.

*Very* handy.

stickman67
19th May 2004, 12:11 PM
I've been using it all morning (naughty me -- supposed to be writing an essay!) and find it pretty d*mned good!

The overall look is terrific (no brushed metal, for starters): clean and functional, and I like the tabs.

I also like that you can close the tabs with your mouse. When I'm surfing, I'm often using the mouse for clicking on links, and so on, and it's just another movement to go up and close a tab. Firefox forces you to use :cmd:-w, which I find just a touch irritating if I have to move my hands from mouse to keyboard. OK, it's no big thing, but it's the little touches that add up to an overall impression.

Performance seems very good. It appears to be a bit faster than Firefox and Safari, though that's just an impression -- I haven't timed any pages loading.

It took me no time at all to import and set up my bookmarks from Safari, another plus, given that they involve work carried out over a long period of time and are sorted into numerous folders and subfolders to make them easy to find.

On the negative side, Safari makes better use of the scrollwheel. For example, while I'm typing in this box, if I roll the wheel the text in here will scroll (if there's enough of it, of course) if the cursor is positioned over the box. In Safari, to scroll the entire page I simply move the cursor outside. In Camino, I have to move the cursor outside the box and click somewhere on the background. A small thing, yes, but significant.

And to close a tab, you either have to wait for the page it contains to complete loading, or stop it from loading. Otherwise, you don't have access to the close button.

There was another thing, but I can't remember what it was now! :P

Overall, then, I reckon this is a terrific addition to the stable of browsers for OS X. There are some terrific choices available at the moment. I'm using Camino as my default browser, at least for a while as I run it through its paces, and I'm not missing Safari much at all.

But there's supposed to be a Safari update coming with OS X 10.3.4, so we'll see what happens then ... :)

stickman67
19th May 2004, 12:40 PM
Just remembered the "other thing" I couldn't remember in my previous post: no "Home" button on the toolbar.

No biggie, but I use it all the time in Safari.

Anyone know if it can be added/switched on somehow? B)

Update: OK, it took me a while, but I found it. In the View menu, select "Customize Toolbar ..." and you can add the "Home" button, and more!

I've also just done a quick cruise of the Camino forums at Mozillazine (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=12), and it seems the only way to block ads (and it's not really a genuine block, because the ads still download, but aren't displayed) is to use the userContent.css file. (Don't ask me how; I'm not that technically inclined :rolleyes: ).

And you can't use anything like PithHelmet (Safari) or the ad blocking plug-in that's available for FireFox, because Camino is not extendible in the same way and probably won't be for some time, from what I read.

That's sad news, but it's not the end of the world, I guess. B)

DVD Plaza
21st May 2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Disko@May 19 2004, 12:00 PM
The search bar is great as well - it has google images, and a 'search this site' option.

*Very* handy.
Camino's had that for over a year (on the nightlies) - just wasn't on the default toolbar.