PDA

View Full Version : Changing Ownership

daOutlawz
27th April 2005, 03:51 PM
Hi guys, is there anyway I can change ownership of a new iBook?

Reason being, I can get it real cheap from a mate that works at an apple store, but he has to put it under his name to get the discount, and I need it under my name to purchase it.. :P

So is there like a form or something? I can't find it over at apple. :unsure:

Also, I found a price on the net of a company in SA selling a powerbook 1.33Ghz for $1699 Brand New 12mths Warranty, but I can't afford almost $2000 for that plus the extended warranty.

Do you guys think the PowerBook 1.33 is that much better then the iBook 1.2? That would justify the price jump?

hawker
27th April 2005, 03:53 PM
I believe you need to call Apple for this - someone please correct me if I am wrong?

daOutlawz
27th April 2005, 04:00 PM
*bump*

i edited the first post when you replied hawker... :P

hawker
27th April 2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by daOutlawz@Apr 27 2005, 03:51 PM
Do you guys think the PowerBook 1.33 is that much better then the iBook 1.2? That would justify the price jump?
IMHO - yes :)

Rayd
27th April 2005, 04:07 PM
just tell that bloke you know to put the name on the sheet as "daOutlawz care of <blokes name here> that way they know that it is for you but it was bought by him

if apple has questions say that it was a birthday present to you from him :)

hawker
27th April 2005, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by ipod_man@Apr 27 2005, 04:07 PM
if apple has questions say that it was a birthday present to you from him :)
That&#39;s a good idea - I think daOutlawz might be slightly worried about the actual discount status. If they say its for someone else i think the discount is void. I&#39;d ask MacMate this one, because he got his 15" powerbook with a super discount ;)

In any case ipod_man - feel like getting me a present? Dual 2.7ghz G5 would be nice&#33;

iSlayer
27th April 2005, 04:25 PM
why do you need it under your name to purchase ?

Rayd
27th April 2005, 04:33 PM
so he gets warrenty...

BTW hawker, mate i&#39;d love you to have the best, so i will give u a Quad 2.7ghz :)

iSlayer
27th April 2005, 04:35 PM
it doesnt matter who&#39;s name its under for warrenty.
apple do all warrenty work based on serial numbers not names

daOutlawz
27th April 2005, 04:44 PM
Nah, not for warranty, its so I can buy it through my business, and claim it.

That was a good idea about the b&#39;day gift, but like hawker said, they might make the discount void. My mate specifically said it had to be under his name otherwise no deal, from apples perspective.

i can get the iBook for &#036;1300, and the PowerBook for &#036;1699.

But the powerbook is a superseeded one, its the one model before (not really model, but u know) 1.33Ghz 12", but its Brand New.

So what you guys reckon? He is holding it for me till tommorow, my mate at apple reckons I should go with the PowerBook. I&#39;m confused&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :unsure:

iSlayer
27th April 2005, 04:47 PM
ibook sounds like a good deal
so does the powerbook.
id get the ibook unless you want to do any gaming

bombora
27th April 2005, 05:04 PM
Can&#39;t you just "buy" it off your mate? Then it&#39;s just the same as if you&#39;d bought it second hand out of the trading post. There&#39;s no rule that says business purchases must be from regestered companies. As far as I know, all you&#39;d need to do is get your friend to sign a statement confirming the "purchase" from him.

Only drawback is you wouldn&#39;t be able to claim GST... but if all else fails, you&#39;d probably still be ahead anyway.

daOutlawz
27th April 2005, 05:16 PM
it wasn&#39;t so much as for claiming GST, its more for justifying the draw from the account..if you do business you would know what I am talking about.

My accountant would like to know where &#036;1300 went from my account? And why it isn&#39;t added in the expenses..you know what I mean? I need to explain where the 1300 went..

Its not as simple as buying something with no business in mind.

964RSCS
27th April 2005, 07:00 PM
If it is for business purposes you can write it off over a few years anyway, so it doesn&#39;t really matter how much it costs, unless you need the cash now for other purposes. At which point, you lease the computer... Again, tax write off on lease payments...

Ask your accountant what they think is the best way to do it&#33;&#33;

If it is an important part of your business though, why worry about saving a few hundred bucks?? You can claim it all back from Peter Costello in the end anyway.

konni
27th April 2005, 07:23 PM
If your friend is getting the discount that means he&#39;s staff and on wages. So - he&#39;s selling off a 2nd-hand personal item for whatever reason - no biggy. Does he have to declare that as income? I don&#39;t believe so. He&#39;s already paid income tax and he&#39;s not making a profit. He gives you a receipt and possibly the invoices and warranty detail that he received. This should be sufficient to show that your business has acquired an item that you can claim as an expense.

A lot of the stuff in my office was bought second-hand from people who were using it recreationally including 2 computers. But I bought it through my business for my business, so the items over &#036;400 are recorded as assets and I depreciate them over time and then write them off.

hawker
27th April 2005, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by ipod_man@Apr 27 2005, 04:33 PM
BTW hawker, mate i&#39;d love you to have the best, so i will give u a Quad 2.7ghz :)
Do you want my shipping addy :P

downsys
27th April 2005, 07:47 PM
btw, where does one get a 1.33Ghz powerbook for &#036;1699? any links would be appreciated.

v1llage1d1ot
27th April 2005, 08:27 PM
Im not 100% sure about this, but I know if you buy a computer and get the student discount you can only get one computer a year. Surely the same kind of deal applies with staff discounts. Otherwise there would be a huge racket with staff buying computers and selling them off cheap to make a small profit, then turning around and doing it all again.

iSlayer
27th April 2005, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by v1llage1d1ot@Apr 27 2005, 09:27 PM
Im not 100% sure about this, but I know if you buy a computer and get the student discount you can only get one computer a year. Surely the same kind of deal applies with staff discounts.
yes there is a limit on staff discounts.
i may be wrong but i think its 3 systems a year

bombora
27th April 2005, 11:51 PM
it wasn&#39;t so much as for claiming GST, its more for justifying the draw from the account..if you do business you would know what I am talking about.

Sorry, maybe my post wasn&#39;t clear enough. As Konni says, you don&#39;t need a receipt from apple, you just need a receipt from your mate. This is enough to justify your purchase to your accountant or the tax office - businesses purchase second hand items from non commercial individuals all the time.

You just won&#39;t be able to claim the GST back on your tax return as you could if you were purchasing from a commercial entity. But sounds like your not fussed about that, so you should be sweet.

jerrah
28th April 2005, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by v1llage1d1ot@Apr 27 2005, 08:27 PM
... if you buy a computer and get the student discount you can only get one computer a year.
That&#39;s no good... What if you&#39;re a student and you want a Mac on your desktop AND an iBook in your bag. :(

skibunny
28th April 2005, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by jerrah@Apr 28 2005, 12:18 AM
That&#39;s no good... What if you&#39;re a student and you want a Mac on your desktop AND an iBook in your bag. :(
You&#39;re allowed one portable and one desktop per academic year....or so I recall reading in the T&C&#39;s

daOutlawz
28th April 2005, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by downsys@Apr 27 2005, 07:47 PM
btw, where does one get a 1.33Ghz powerbook for &#036;1699? any links would be appreciated.
I don&#39;t want to give the link as yet, because the company only has this one left in stock, and won&#39;t be getting anymore, because they are being outdated. I have found a couple of sites that came close, I think the closest was around 2000, but most of them that are 1.33 have superdrives and go for around ~2300.
This is the only one I found for so cheap, probably because its the last one. I will give you guys the phone number to the company which does this as soon as I know what I will be doing.

I have also asked apple to beat the price by 10% as they claim they do on their website (http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebObjects/australiastore.woa/80205/wo/iM3HuiNsy2Ab3dRKLE32eTLTJh0/1.0.13.1.0.6.15.0.9.0.0.0.0.3.1.1.0?88,42) :D If they do that, then, I will end up getting it cheaper then a new retail iBook.

There is a &#036;400 difference between the iBook and the PB in mind, the money is important to me because my business is only 2 years old, so we are still growing. I don&#39;t want to lease because at the end of the lease I choose between an upgrade or buy out the lease, which if I upgrade, I am still paying, and don&#39;t really own anything, and if I buy out the lease, I have to buy back the notebook at the current retail price for that model..I don&#39;t like either of those options.

There are more hassels involved in buying the iBook then buying the PB, what I was wondering was which one would I be happier with? If the PB is heaps better, then I will go with that, but if its only better by a fraction of a margin (i.e hardly noticable) then I would rather save the &#036;400 and use it on something like RAM and warranty extension.

I am pushing more towards the PB..but as I have said in other threads, I have never used an Apple computer before (not in the last 6-7 years anyway) so I have no idea what they run like. This will be my first &#39;real&#39; experience.

So thats my problem :huh:

hawker
28th April 2005, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by skibunny@Apr 28 2005, 12:31 AM
You&#39;re allowed one portable and one desktop per academic year....or so I recall reading in the T&C&#39;s
I don&#39;t believe that... Apple are not going to turn money down :P

iSlayer
28th April 2005, 08:00 AM
its true.
1 of each a year.why would a student need more then 1 a year ?

Kuma
28th April 2005, 08:53 AM
they need more than 1 a year because they (apple) keep releasing new stuff.... :D

of course there are not that many students who can afford 1 every 3 years

hawker
28th April 2005, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by islayer@Apr 28 2005, 08:00 AM
its true.
1 of each a year.why would a student need more then 1 a year ?
When did the rules change? because I got two iMacs in the same year?

daOutlawz
30th April 2005, 03:50 AM
Ok, I&#39;ve decided to go with the PowerBook for &#036;1699, hopefully get it by this Tuesday or Wednesday the latest.

This is the cheapest I have seen it, the next cheapest place on the web was like &#036;2199, even my mate that works for an Apple reseller said he could get the same PowerBook for &#036;2100.00 so he told me I was getting a really good bargain. BTW, this is Brand New. Just an out-dated model.

The specs are:
1.33Ghz G4
12.1" Screen
256MB RAM
64MB GeForceGO 5200
60Gig HDD
Combo Drive

Because I can also buy and sell computer goods, I tried to find out which distributor this company was using(because they are darn cheap), and I did, they are a distributor located in Adelaide, but they also have branches in Melbourne, QLD, Sydney and Perth. They only deal with other business&#39; (like myself) who re-sell. I sent out my application for a &#39;cash account&#39; today and am waiting on a reply (probably Monday) to see if I can purchase directly from them.
Reason I&#39;m telling you guys this is, now I know I can get it cheaper than &#036;1699, but the problem is that I have already paid for my one coming.

I have had a few interested buyers contacting me about these cheap prices, so if anyone wants the one I am getting, then I will sell it to you for the same price I am getting it for, which is &#036;1699. Un-opened and un-touched. Alternatively, you can wait till I am approved (hopefully Monday) by the distributor, and I will list the items and their prices in the trading section of this forum. I will try my hardest to sell them cheaper then what I have already said, &#036;1699. Worst case scenario, they will be the same price, which is still about &#036;350-&#036;400 cheaper then anywhere else.

Apparently there are about 15 Powerbooks with the same specs as above left ONLY, and about 15 Powerbooks with the same specs except they come with superdrive, which will probably be a little more expensive.
This distributor also has lots of other Apple products like Cinema Displays, iPods, iBooks, PowerMacs, eMacs, iMacs, and even AppleCare Warranty. The good thing is, they keep quite a few outdated stock, so prices should be cheap. Don&#39;t know though, I will find out early next week.

Either way, to those who are interested, watch out in the Trading Section of this forum for my post on Monday or Tuesday. If my application is rejected for some reason, then I will be keeping the PowerBook that I have already paid for, which is being sent to me now. And I will give you&#39;se the number of the company which I got it from, he told me he has 2 left.
I&#39;m just trying to get them to you guys cheaper then what this other place can do.

My business details:

mrpSolutions
http://www.mrpsolutions.com.au/

mvjs
30th April 2005, 08:03 AM
Yep, its one desktop and one portable per Calandar year (I think), although its any amount of anything else.

hawker
30th April 2005, 10:05 AM
It must have changed after 2002. Because I bought two iMacs in the same calendar/academic year.