PDA

View Full Version : IMAP vs Pop

McNewbie
6th September 2008, 03:55 AM
I've got a Macbook and a Hiptop to receive emails on. I'm currently trialling Apple Mail as I've seen many recs stating that to use Apple Mail or another email client is better than using GMail's web interface.

I've got the following email accounts;-
- Gmail (everyday & main)
- YMail (family & professional)
- Bigpond (ISP)
- Hotmail (Old & original)

The Bigpond and Hotmail only has one or two legitimate emails coming in every now and then. I'm trying to really phase both off but have just kept it for those "just in case" emails. Eg. long lost friends, relatives :D I also use Bigpond for those spam emails...eg. site registration that I don't know if I'll ever visit again.

Anyhow, my ideal email set up would include ALL emails forwarded to GMail web and then all emails pushed to my chosen email client but stays on the GMail web server BUT when I delete from my email client that it will sync with the GMail web server and the remaining items that are not deleted to be archived or put into tags/folders according to my preference for each email. Is there any way of doing this?

I understand that Hotmail will probably not be doable but that's ok. I tried IMAP but it seems when I make a folder or a tag either on GMail's web interface or my email client it doesn't sync together :confused:

Also when I was using Apple Mail and had all my emails (excluding Hotmail) forwarded and added to my GMail account, therefore, I just added GMail (POP) to Mail it wouldn't let me reply using my YMail email account even though it allows me to do so on the web interface...why is that?

I also need POP for my Hiptop so if I have both enabled which will over ride Pop or IMAP? Eg. If I have POP settings enabled for my Hiptop and have the settings configured to "Leave GMail's copy in Inbox" but in my IMAP via my email client I've deleted an email would it then delete the email or would it just leave it on my inbox?

Sorry for all the questions. I've Googled and read up on Pop vs IMAP but it's just not helping :( so any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks!

chrome
6th September 2008, 08:26 AM
a few points

1. Some providers will allow you to forward all mail via SMTP to another account.

2. Gmail supports picking mail up via pop3. So you could configure it to pick up your bigpond email and your hotmail email. Yahoo probably supports this also. They do this even when you're not connected, so you don't need to configure anything on your mail client.

3. Some providers are configured to only allow you to send email with a from address with their domain. For example, gmail expect you to use from blah@gmail.com, if you set the from address to something else, it won't work if you relay through their mail server.

4. You can have multiple IMAP sessions open from Mail. Configure IMAP against google and Yahoo and just send/receive as you normally would. It will work as you expect; if you set up rules they'll apply. Not sure how google stores its mail on the IMAP side, but it should work.

I also need POP for my Hiptop so if I have both enabled which will over ride Pop or IMAP? Eg. If I have POP settings enabled for my Hiptop and have the settings configured to "Leave GMail's copy in Inbox" but in my IMAP via my email client I've deleted an email would it then delete the email or would it just leave it on my inbox?

If you delete the mail via IMAP, it will be marked deleted via IMAP but not purged unless you configure Mail differently to the default. Look at Mailbox Behaviors in the accounts area of Mail, and look at the Trash settings.

POP3 doesn't understand or know about message flags, so the deleted flag isn't seen by POP3 clients when they read a message. They'll blindly download it and present it as unread unless you actually remove it permanently.

purana
6th September 2008, 08:58 AM
a few points

3. Some providers are configured to only allow you to send email with a from address with their domain. For example, gmail expect you to use from blah@gmail.com, if you set the from address to something else, it won't work if you relay through their mail server.

Gmail accounts do allow the use of another from address, however for it to be setup and work in this way, you must goto the settings on gmail and add the alternate from address, at which time they email you a email to said address and then you must reply before it will setup the address you want to use as an alternate from address.

So yes it is possible to still use a different from address from your Gmail account.

http://img.skitch.com/20080905-qbiejbqw8dkiuiic2c41a396bj.jpg

chrome
6th September 2008, 09:07 AM
So yes it is possible to still use a different from address from your Gmail account.

Nice. Wasn't that way last time I looked :)

Oh and thanks for fixing my post. I wish we could delete our own posts.

purana
6th September 2008, 09:32 AM
Nice. Wasn't that way last time I looked :)

Oh and thanks for fixing my post. I wish we could delete our own posts.

Yeah I remember being able to use any From address with no setup, then when I went to do it again it would no longer work. I then stumbled on the setting as indicated in the post, sure enough set things up using that new method and it will work again. Allow you to post using any From address you configure.

As to fixing your posts, I didn't do anything but a merge, since you posted back to back against yourself. Just looks better.

Now you know how to use alternate From address once again, if you need too on Gmail.

McNewbie
6th September 2008, 06:55 PM
Thanks everyone :D but is there any way for me to configure GMail to receive ALL my emails (including Hotmail) and then I would then use Apple Mail through IMAP to collect those same emails.

This would be the ideal setting but by doing that I will not be able to put any "reply" to address would only be able to use GMail's initial address. Is that correct or when using IMAP does it sync including the accounts included in the GMail web interface?